A comprehensive guide to installing custom GSI ROMs on the Mi 8 Pro

Search This thread

jwhan

I trird to flash pixelexperience rom(based on Android 9) and finally succeeded,and here is their link https://xdaforums.com/project-treble/trebleenabled-device-development/9-0-pixelexperience-p-t3833294
If you want to flash it,you can just download the rom from GitHub and the link is here https://github.com/EnesSastim/Downloads/releases
But here is a important thing you need to do,you must flash it with another zip file by twrp otherwise your phone will cannot be booted and here is the zip file download links https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jXRsae6PnHXfwgF0M02wrutVfAajOyIs/view?usp=sharing
I think it is very stable but also have some bugs.
Not works: In-Screen fingerprint sensor,Ir face unlock,volte. Screenshot_20200404-221116.jpgScreenshot_20200404-224122.jpg

通过我的 Pixel 2 XL 上的 Tapatalk发言

eremeya

Sep 29, 2010
I trird to flash pixelexperience rom(based on Android 9) and finally succeeded,and here is their link https://xdaforums.com/project-treble/trebleenabled-device-development/9-0-pixelexperience-p-t3833294
If you want to flash it,you can just download the rom from GitHub and the link is here https://github.com/EnesSastim/Downloads/releases
But here is a important thing you need to do,you must flash it with another zip file by twrp otherwise your phone will cannot be booted and here is the zip file download links https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jXRsae6PnHXfwgF0M02wrutVfAajOyIs/view?usp=sharing
I think it is very stable but also have some bugs.
Not works: In-Screen fingerprint sensor,Ir face unlock,volte.

Can you tell me if PE from supports VPN pass through? So, for example, you can share your phone's VPN connection with your computer through USB tethering?

yo-less

Jun 22, 2008
What android version are you running AOSP on and with which custom recovery?

No offense, but everything is laid out in my first two posts, I've put a lot of work into making it as comprehensive as I can and at the same time accessible, so I'm not sure if you even took a moment to read it.

Anyway, here is all the information again - this is the Android 9 setup I'm currently running:
Stock ROM I started out with: V11.0.5.0.PECMIXM
AOSP : AOSP v123 (Without Google Apps)
Recovery: TWRP 3.3.1-0607 (Firedance Edition)

As for the Android 10 TWRP, someone has already sent you the same information, but it's also clearly laid out in the first post:

For Android Q (Android 10) / MIUI 11, this version seems to be working:
TWRP-3.3.2B-0301 (Chinese Version)

It was working fine with the currently only available Android 10 MIUI version (V11.0.3.0.QECMIXM) and its Android 10 support is even spelled out when you boot it, it shows "MI 8 UD" (Chinese name for the MI 8 Pro) and then "10".

It's not working with Android 9 - but for Android Pie you can use TWRP 3.3.1-0607 (Firedance Edition) as linked above - it has given me great results.

yo-less

Jun 22, 2008

That's some great information, thank you, I have just set up everything on my phone and I'm pretty reluctant to go through reflashing everything again just yet. I couldn't get Pixel Experience to run at all but I also never tried to enable the permissive mode.
Does anyone know what it is about the Pixel Experience ROM that makes the permissive mode necessary?

And also, isn't that pretty shaky from a security perspective?

Jord5s

Apr 1, 2019
Durban
No offense, but everything is laid out in my first two posts, I've put a lot of work into making it as comprehensive as I can and at the same time accessible, so I'm not sure if you even took a moment to read it.

Anyway, here is all the information again - this is the Android 9 setup I'm currently running:

As for the Android 10 TWRP, someone has already sent you the same information, but it's also clearly laid out in the first post:

It was working fine with the currently only available Android 10 MIUI version (V11.0.3.0.QECMIXM) and its Android 10 support is even spelled out when you boot it, it shows "MI 8 UD" (Chinese name for the MI 8 Pro) and then "10".

It's not working with Android 9 - but for Android Pie you can use TWRP 3.3.1-0607 (Firedance Edition) as linked above - it has given me great results.
Thank you very much. I did read through most of your posts on this topic, but wasn't able to see the name of the TWRP file version used. Thank you for your patience and help.

Sent from my MI 8 Pro using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

Here U are
https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=4349826312261746272

Thank you so much!

Sent from my MI 8 Pro using Tapatalk

jwhan

Hey guys,I have found a new rom(based on Android Q) which could be flashed on Mi 8 pro but I did not tried it.I found it in a Chinese group which communicate on our Mi 8 pro phones(also called Mi 8 UD) and I found a guy flashed the EvolutionX 3.3 rom.Who want to try this,just dowmload it from there.When you finishd flashing the room and before you reboot your phone you should format data at twrp.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1KEvyR57cSnw_jLNQ_zPtja2yRAgaUo4k?usp=sharing
I am busy with my study now and may have no time to test now,if you succeed flash it,please tell me thx.

Last edited:

jwhan

Android 10 works on Mi 8 PRO !!!

I have find The AOSP V215 works on the Mi 8PRO but it have some bugs.It has the screen display problems it always show a green circle maybe the Fingerprint recognition module I think and when you try to touch the screen under the green circle it becomes very difficult.( I have communicated with the developer of this rom and he let me reboot my phone.After reboot,the green circle problem has been solved. )If you want to try it.There is an important thing you should notice .As the developer said (here is what he said:Why should I use GSI for A/B devices to some A-only devices? : On Android 9, Google changed the requirements and all devices shipped with Android 9 must use "system-as-root". Before this change, only A/B devices were system-as-root and GSI name was separated by A-only and A/B. For this historical reasons, you have to use GSI for A/B on the devices shipped with Android 9+.)
I flash the GSI for A/B devices and succeed boot my phone.So we can just choose the arm64-ab rom and flash it.
Here is their link:https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/releases
View attachment 4990217

Last edited:

Laurisss

May 3, 2014
I have find The AOSP V215 works on the Mi 8PRO but it have some bugs.It has the screen display problems it always show a green circle maybe the Fingerprint recognition module I think and when you try to touch the screen under the green circle it becomes very difficult.( I have communicated with the developer of this rom and he let me reboot my phone.After reboot,the green circle problem has been solved. )If you want to try it.There is an important thing you should notice .As the developer said (here is what he said:Why should I use GSI for A/B devices to some A-only devices? : On Android 9, Google changed the requirements and all devices shipped with Android 9 must use "system-as-root". Before this change, only A/B devices were system-as-root and GSI name was separated by A-only and A/B. For this historical reasons, you have to use GSI for A/B on the devices shipped with Android 9+.)
I flash the GSI for A/B devices and succeed boot my phone.So we can just choose the arm64-ab rom and flash it.
View attachment 4990217

HOLY ****! YOU ARE A LEGEND! That means other roms should work too. I'm so happy people like you are still trying to get this phone some support! Thank you!
So after the reboot the phone is completely usable?

Last edited:

ashir734734

Oct 15, 2019
Cant believe it everything is working perfect on latest AOSP rom :D and it is smooth just the missing feature is ir camera

CoolJL

Apr 1, 2020
Hey, guys. I have fix a way to fix the fingerprint, just flash the MIUI 12 rom instead of the MIUI 11 rom, I have test the MIUI 12 20.5.21 vendor with phh's AOSP V216&v217 , the fingerprint works well. Here is the rom link:
https://www.xda-developers.com/download-miui-12-closed-beta-xiaomi-redmi-devices/

Thanks a million! Manage to get latest aosp 219 running. Had a little bit of trouble, for anyone interested this is how I did it:

-Started with miui V11.0.5.0.PECMIXM and TWRP 3.3.1-0607
-Install above MIUI 12 20.5.21 (actually used the lastest one) using TWRP, but DO NOT RESTART to system, need to install aosp staight away!
-Go back to Advanced Wipe in TWRP and delete "Davik, Data, Cache, System".
-Now Install lastest aosp (219) as image (make sure it a/b image NOT a-only).
-Now restart to system

It should boot to the system. Once you get to android set up screen, restart to Fastboot and install TWRP 3.3.2 for android 10.

So far most things work fine except the auxiliary (telephoto) camera at the back, which is a big downer for me. If anyone knows how to get that working I'd very much appreciate it.

Also many thanks to yo-less and others who's contributed to this.

Last edited:

CoolJL

Apr 1, 2020
Tried Havoc and CAOS and they both work also.

On a side note, once you have installed AOSP (or other GSI) roms and you can simply switch the roms using TWRP. Simply delete "Dalvi, Cache, System" in Advanced Wipe, then install whichever GSI image you want. Not deleting "Data" allows you to keep app that were previously installed.

nealed

Mar 31, 2007
Eloise
When you installed MIUI 12 - which TWRP did you use?
You mention starting with TWRP 3.3.1-0607 - so I assume you flashed MIUI 12 with that TWRP -as you don't mention using the one mentioned in the post.
I cannot get the recovery-TWRP-3.3.2B-0301-XIAOMI8UD-CN-wzsx150.img to boot on my device. Trying again after reflashing MIUI 11.0.5

Thanks a million! Manage to get latest aosp 219 running. Had a little bit of trouble, for anyone interested this is how I did it:

-Started with miui V11.0.5.0.PECMIXM and TWRP 3.3.1-0607
-Install above MIUI 12 20.5.21 (actually used the lastest one) using TWRP, but DO NOT RESTART to system, need to install aosp staight away!
-Go back to Advanced Wipe in TWRP and delete "Davik, Data, Cache, System".
-Now Install lastest aosp (219) as image (make sure it a/b image NOT a-only).
-Now restart to system

It should boot to the system. Once you get to android set up screen, restart to Fastboot and install TWRP 3.3.2 for android 10.

So far most things work fine except the auxiliary (telephoto) camera at the back, which is a big downer for me. If anyone knows how to get that working I'd very much appreciate it.

Also many thanks to yo-less and others who's contributed to this.

CoolJL

Apr 1, 2020
When you installed MIUI 12 - which TWRP did you use?
You mention starting with TWRP 3.3.1-0607 - so I assume you flashed MIUI 12 with that TWRP -as you don't mention using the one mentioned in the post.
I cannot get the recovery-TWRP-3.3.2B-0301-XIAOMI8UD-CN-wzsx150.img to boot on my device. Trying again after reflashing MIUI 11.0.5

Hi, yes TWRP 3.3.1-0607 on miui 11.0.5 (Android 9) to flash MIUI 12. Don't boot into MIUI12 as I mentioned, (got into problems installing GSI rom), instead stay on TWRP and install aosp (or Havoc, CAOS) straight away, make sure its A/B image.

Also I've recently tried installing GSI roms starting form miui 11.0.3 (android10) with TWRP 3.3.2B installed, and that works also.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As so many others have pointed out, it is pretty hard to get any custom GSI ROMs running on the Mi 8 Pro / Explorer Edition (Equuleus). I was also absolutely oblivious to the fact that the Mi 8 Pro would require different ROMs than the Mi 8 when I bought my handset as I always check if there are custom ROMs available before I buy a new phone and there are some for the Mi 8. As far as I can tell there are no custom ROMs specifically adapted to run on our phones, but luckily enough, it is GSI-compatible or "treble-enabled". So as sad as it is that there are no real custom ROMs you can install, there is a major upside to our situation - theoretically any GSI ROM might run on it, which offers far more options than are available for the phones I have been using before I got my Mi 8 Pro. The big question is: How on earth do you get them to run on the Mi 8 Pro? If this is as puzzling for you as it was for me at first, you have come to the right place ;) - After days and days of trial and error and growing despair, I have found a way to get both Oreo and Pie ROMs to boot and function up to a level that I'm comfortable working with and as this site has helped me so much over the years, I thought I could at least share my findings, hoping that others would be able to benefit a bit as well.

Having said that, I'll start with a list of features that won't work, so if you need them, feel free to move on (or maybe even help me find a way to get them working?). I would love for other forum members to help us expand and refine this guide (especially when it comes to the list of working ROMs) as I plan to keep this thread updated for some time.

A big shout-out goes to nealed , whose post on GSI ROMs got me started and who was OK with me laying out my information in a separate post. :good:

Not working (as of now):
    • In-Screen fingerprint sensor
    • IR face unlock ("normal" face unlock works fine)
    • VoLTE
    • Many stock Xiaomi / Mi apps won't work - you will have to find modded apks if you want to use Xiaomi's stock apps (such as the Compass app, which I rather liked but haven't found a working version for yet)

Fixed in newer Pie ROMs:
    • Note that Pie GSI ROMs based on earlier Phh-Treble Vanilla (AOSP 9.0) versions come with a weird ambient display bug (at least on our device). If you decide to have your ambient display set to "always on" it will flicker on and off all the time (which is why I have disabled it, it's driving me crazy when the phone is just lying on my desk and constantly stealing my attention - what does work though are the options "New notifications" / "Show when charging", so that's what I ended up with.)
    • Another problem with Pie ROMs I ran into was that the Android phone service would simply crash whenever I tried to manually select my network provider. I could see all available cell phone companies in my area but as soon as I would try to switch to a different provider than the one automatically chosen, the Android phone service would immediately crash.]
    If none of this is an issue for you, you can expect a smooth and stable Android on our extremely powerful handset. You will be working with a ROM that can be highly customized and will also probably refrain from sending all your data to Xiaomi (which is one of the major reasons I wanted to have a rooted custom ROM and decided to accept that that also means I can't have all the features the phone normally offers - such as the very flashy fingerprint sensor).

Step-by-step instructions on how to install a custom GSI ROM

As a matter of fact, you should be aware that all data that is currently stored on your phone is lost when following this guide, so make sure you have a backup and don't ask me what you can do if you didn't create one! (short answer: nothing)

This guide also assumes you have already waited long enough and successfully unlocked your bootloader using a working Mi Account. If not, have a look here.

Step 1: Flashing an official ROM

Flashing tool - MiFlash
    The easiest way to flash an official ROM that doesn't come with loads of system hogs or other "features" you don't want to have, is using MiFlash 2017.4.25.

Official ROM
    Next, you will need to download a flashable global MIUI ROM. A list of all available ROMS can be found here.

Depending on which Android version you are going to install later, you want to download

Once you have downloaded your ROM, extract it into a directory - I found that MiFlash was having some troubles working with directories whose directory names contained spaces, so I'd recommend simply extracting everything that is contained in the .zip-file into a directory such as "C:\flash", this way I had no trouble flashing any ROMs.
    When that is done, you can start MiFlash and select the directory that contains your ROM files.
    The next step is important if you want to make sure your bootloader stays unlocked (which you do): you need to select "clean all" at the bottom right of MiFlash so that flash_all.bat is selected. The default option is "clean all and lock" which is not what we want. ;)
    Should you have forgotten to change the option you simply have to unlock the phone again afterwards but as that requires a connection to the Xiaomi servers and a Mi Account that lets you do so, it's anything but ideal.

To make your phone talk to MiFlash, put your powered-off phone into bootloader mode by simultaneously pressing the power button and the volume down button and connecting it to your PC via a USB-C cable (preferably the one that came with the phone, but others should work too).

You're good to go - click on "flash" in the MiTool and watch it do its magic. It will take some time - just be patient - after 5 - 10 minutes the phone should automatically boot into MIUI and you're one step closer to installing the ROM you actually want to have on your phone.

Step 2: Installing TWRP recovery

Finding a working TWRP recovery for our phone (ideally in English) is like trying to find a miniature-size needle broken into three parts in a giant haystack. Unfortunately, our phone isn't officially supported by TWRP (yet?) so you won't find anything on their website.
    What can be found, is a mixed bag, but after many many attempts of locating a proper source for TWRP image files, I finally came across this forum post.

To cut a long story short, for Android Oreo (Android 8) and Android Pie (Android 9) you want to download
    TWRP 3.3.1-0607 (Firedance Edition)

as it is one of the very few versions for our device that are actually able to decrypt your data once you have set a PIN in your Android system. There seems to be a bug with some current TWRP versions that keep you from accessing your data once you have set a screen-lock PIN in your system (which is a requirement to use such features as face unlock).
    So if you use a version that can't decrypt your phone (even when entering the correct PIN to enter TWRP) and you encounter a bootloop, you're out of luck: You can't access your system either from recovery or from within the system (If you have come across this post because you're in exactly this situation, you should be able to solve the problem by flashing TWRP 3.3.1-0607 on your phone to regain access).

For Android Q (Android 10) / MIUI 11, this version seems to be working:
    TWRP-3.3.2B-0301 (Chinese Version)

Once you have downloaded the .img-file, the best thing is to put it into a directory that already has adb.exe and fastboot.exe in it. If you don't have such a directory, you can very easily create it by downloading and installing Minimal ADB and Fastboot.
    Choose any install location you like, you will have to place your TWRP image file in your install location folder afterwards.

To prepare your phone, power it off and then put your powered-off phone into bootloader mode by simultaneously pressing the power button and the volume down button and connecting it to your PC via a USB-C cable.

Next, either start Minimal ADB and Fastboot or manually open a command prompt (cmd.exe) in the directory you have just created and enter the following two commands:

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery equuleus-331-607.img
    Code:
    fastboot boot equuleus-331-607.img

Note that sometimes after flashing TWRP, the phone will boot into recovery twice - don't worry if you only see the TWRP screen and your phone starts rebooting straight afterwards. This is only an issue on first boot.

Congrats, you have now installed a working version of TWRP for the Mi 8 Pro. You can now also manually boot into TWRP by simultaneously pressing the power button and the volume up button on your powered-off phone.

Step 3: Installing a custom GSI ROM of your choice

Once you have a working TWRP recovery, you can install any GSI ROM that might run on our device (scroll down to my second post on this page for a list of working ROMs or click here to jump to it instead) - Prerequisite: Your ROM needs to be an ARM64 / A-Only ROM as this is the only kind of ROM our device can run.

Here's how to go about it:
    1. Boot into TWRP, connect your phone to your PC via USB and transfer the ROM img.-file you want to install
    2. Wipe > Factory Reset
    3. Wipe > Advanced Wipe > System (This will prompt TWRP to ask you later if you really want to reboot - "No OS Installed! Are you sure you wish to reboot?" - which you can simply ignore, TWRP doesn't recognize that a new OS is installed after a system wipe)
    4. Install > Install Image, select your chosen image, choose "System Image" as target partition and swipe right.
    5. If you just want to test the image and not use any Google functionality, you can reboot now (Ignore "No OS installed") - However, this will mean that on most ROMs that don't already come with Google Apps included you won't have any Google functionality (i.e. no face unlock, no Play Store, ...) and you won't get it either if you try to install it after having already booted into your new system - so you probably want to move on to Step 4 before you reboot (unless your ROM already comes with Google Apps).

Step 4: Flashing Google Apps / Enabling Google functionality (Optional)

I'm assuming that since you're reading a guide on installing custom ROMs on an Android smartphone that it will be absolutely no news to you that instantly after installing a custom ROM and BEFORE booting into it for the first time you HAVE to install the Google functionality you want to have as there is no way of adding it afterwards. You simply have to do it right after flashing your ROM.

To flash Google Apps, you have to download them first on https://opengapps.org/.

Select the ARM64 option for the Android version you have just installed (either 9.0 (Pie) or 8.1 (Oreo)) and choose the package that best suits your need. I always go for the "Nano" package as it includes everything you can't install by yourself from the Play Store later on. This means you can also uninstall any Google App that isn't included in this package if you don't need it any longer. The bigger packages come with many more apps but if you install them now before you boot into your OS for the first time, they get turned into system apps and can't be easily uninstalled later.

Once you have downloaded the Google Apps package of your choice, you can transfer it to your phone via Windows Explorer if it's still connected via USB and in TWRP (which it should be in anyway :D). Now just go to Install, select the .zip-file you have just transferred to your phone and swipe right.

Problems you might run into when installing your Google Apps:

This message or similar messages might appear in TWRP when you try to install your Google Apps package, even though you are using the correct version for your ROM (Pie ROM and Pie Google Apps, for example):

This Gapps pkg is for Android 9.0.x ONLY
    Please download the correct version for your ROM: 8.1.0 (SDK 27)

If this happens, go to the Reboot Menu in TWRP and select Recovery to reboot into TWRP. Once you've done that, Google Apps should install without problems and recognize that you do indeed have the right Android version installed.

Many times, the System partition will also be too small to also accommodate the Google Apps package, so you will be greeted with the following message:

Insufficient storage space available in System partition.

If this happens to you, here's the fix:

1. Go back to the main menu in TWRP
    2. Wipe > Advanced Wipe
    3. Select System
    4. Tap on Repair or Change File System
    5. Tap on Resize File System
    6. Swipe to Resize
    7. Go back to the main menu, installing Google Apps should work without problems now

Voilà. You have just successfully gapp'ed your phone :).

Step 5: Rooting your ROM (Optional)

Thanks to Magisk, rooting is incredibly easy these days. All you have to do is head over to the Magisk releases page on Github and download the latest .zip-file.

Once it's downloaded, install the .zip-file via TWRP and reboot into your OS.

For Magisk to work, you also need to have the latest Magisk Manager apk installed, which you also find on the above Github page, however I found that all GSI ROMs already have this included anyway (It appears to be included in Phh-Treble AOSP) - so all you need to do is really install Magisk in TWRP.
    The preinstalled Magisk Manager will probably be outdated and ask you to update, which it can do itself. So most times, you won't even have to download the Magisk Manager apk yourself.

Step 6: Installing a working Xposed Framework (Optional)

As easy as it has become to root a phone these days, it is becoming increasingly harder to get Xposed to work as active development has been rather stalled lately. Luckily enough, someone was kind enough to unofficially get Xposed to work on Android Pie, however, this time it's a Magisk module.

Getting it to work on the Mi 8 Pro is a different matter. I have found that only certain versions do actually work and offer the Xposed functionality I have gotten so used to. If you install the specific versions I'm mentioning here, Xposed should work without problems (But as always, not all Xposed modules are still under active development and therefore won't work with Android Pie or this new unofficial version of Xposed).

To get Xposed up and running, you need to have Magisk installed already (see Step 5).

I'm currently running AOSP 9.0 (v123) and these more recent Riru package versions run fine (If you have trouble with these, check the links below) - I could only install them directly via Magisk but not in TWRP:
    You will also need this app installed to manage your Xposed framework and to activate Xposed modules:

For older custom Android Pie ROMs, these Riru packages were the only versions that I could successfully get working:

The older Riru packages can be installed directly via TWRP or in Magisk, but since you have to reboot afterwards if you install it from inside your OS, you might as well just install the two .zip-Files from TWRP directly after installing Magisk in TWRP.

The latest Ed Xposed Manager is simply an apk, so you will have to install it after booting into your system. Easy as Pie. Have fun EdXposing your system to new functionality :).

Step 7: Special fixes

As I've layed out before, custom ROMs are prone to come with certain functionality missing or malfunctioning. This is especially the case with GSI ROMs that weren't developed with our specific device in mind. Nevertheless most functions will work without bigger problems right away. Some problems might still arise, but luckily there are solutions.

Sending and receiving SMS messages
    After I had installed my GSI ROMs, it took me a while to realize I wasn't getting any text messages (they're not that frequent any more anyway). This is because I had to change my preferred network setting (for whatever reason). If you set it like this, everything should work as expected:

Preferred network type
    4G (Recommended)

Bluetooth Media Streaming
    I also didn't realize right away that there was a Bluetooth problem. Calls were working fine, people could hear me talking, I could hear them talking. Things got a bit weirder, when I tried to listen to music streaming from my phone to my Bluetooth speaker - it simply wouldn't work. Nada - no matter what I tried. Luckily I came across a .zip-file that worked wonders. If you install the FixGsiBTSound.zip file in TWRP that I was able to find in this XDA thread, Bluetooth media is streaming without any problems and calls continue to work.

Unfortunately, I still have to change Bluetooth Audio Codec to AAC in the Developer options every time I connect my speaker if I want to listen to music and get driving instructions via Google Maps at the same time. It automatically reverts back to SBC but after I've made the change I can have several apps stream audio at the same time, which might be a problem with my speaker that only supports SBC but I didn't have this problem with my old phone.

By the way, none of the other fixes in the thread mentioned above (specifically the VoLTE fix) were working for our phone when I tried them.
    List of working GSI ROMs

This post is meant to give an overview of ROMs that can be installed and booted into on the Mi 8 Pro as long as you follow my installation guide.
    To give a more complete picture, I have also included the ROMs I couldn't get to boot into a working OS.

The Mi 8 Pro is an ARM64 - A Only device, so make sure you only try to install ARM64 - A Only GSI images.

I first ended up using AOSiP (August 19, 2019 version) after having given MSM Xtended a try. However, after half a year my screen started flickering, so I reflashed a stock MIUI to send my phone back for repairs, which is when I discovered that the screen still seemed to be working. This might have been just a coincidence and the screen may still have some issues that are just not showing, but it is, of course, also possible that a custom GSI ROM could mess with your hardware.

I'm now using AOSP 9.0 (v123) with Magisk, Substratum and EdXposed and I'm really happy with it. If you're interested in why, you can read more about it here.

Please help me expand this list - feel free to test other or newer ROMs you can find via these lists on Github and on XDA :).

Android 9.0 (Pie)

AOSP 9.0 / Phh-Treble

AOSiP

ArrowOS
    Discovered by PCrazee :good:

Bliss OS

Image file 1: Bliss-2019-04-11-arm64-a-stock.img.xz (11.04.2019 - without Google Apps)
    Image file 2: Bliss-2019-04-05-arm64-a-gapps.img (05.04.2019 - Google Apps preinstalled)
    This OS only started on second boot (boot animation loop on first boot); the camera app was not functional and it seemed a bit unstable on the Mi 8 Pro

XDA page
    Release page: Check it out here

Descendant

Image file: Descendant_4.0.1_arm64_aonly (06.08.2019)
    This image file can be "dirty-flashed", i.e. if you follow my installation guide, don't wipe the system partition as you normally would when installing a GSI ROM

XDA page
    All releases: See this page

FlokoROM

Lineage OS 16.0 (AndyYan)

Image file: lineage-16.0-20190811-UNOFFICIAL-treble_arm64_avN.img.xz (11.08.2019)
    Newer images available - if they work for you, let me know and I will update this section

XDA page

MSM Xtended

Image file: MSM_Xtended-20190820-arm64_a.img.xz (20.08.2019)
    There are newer versions, if they work on the Mi 8 Pro, please let me know :)

XDA page

Pixel Experience (Unofficial)

Image file: PixelExperienceP-arm64-aonly.zip (24.03.2019)
    This is an older version, but unfortunately the only version I could get to boot - if you find a newer one that works on the Mi 8 Pro, please let me know :)

XDA page

Zirconium AOSP

/e/
    Reported working by PCrazee :good:

Android 8.1 (Oreo)
    Please note that I only tested three ROMs to see if I could get Oreo ROMs working as well. As there is no support to hide the Mi 8 Pro notch in Oreo ROMs and as I managed to get Xposed working on Pie, I quickly abandoned Oreo again :).
    Nevertheless, please let me know if there are any other Oreo GSI ROMs out there that you got working on the Mi 8 Pro so I can expand this section.

AOSP 8.1 / Phh-Treble

Resurrection Remix (phhuson)

Android 9.0 (Pie) (Non-working)
    I couldn't find a working version Pie version for:
    • AOSP Extended
    • HavocOS
    • nitrOS
    • Resurrection Remix

Android 8.1 (Oreo) (Non-working)
    I couldn't find a working Oreo version for:
    • Treskmod
    Special apps and functionality

Google Camera with Night Sight

Installing a modded Google Camera app helps you get the most out of your camera, especially when using Night Sight or the Playground that aren't available to most non-Pixel devices out of the box.

In order to enable the special Google Camera features, the Camera2Api needs to be enabled. This can be done by going into Magisk and downloading and installing Pix3lify which enables some other Pixel features (I found that running my phone with AOSiP and Pix3lify also gave me a much nicer Pixel-like experience to the one that Pixel Experience offered (this applies at least to the version of Pixel Experience I could get to work on the Mi 8 Pro).

To get a working modded Google camera
    • Open Magisk Manager and download and activate the module Pix3lify, then restart
    • Download a modded Google Camera apk such as BSG's MI9SE V4_P2 which can be found on this page.

There are many Google Camera mods out there and you can find a pretty extensive list here.

However, BSG's MI9SE V4_P2 was the only mod that had both the camera (including Night Sight) and the video camera working correctly, even though it doesn't seem to offer all the functionality that other Google Camera mods seem to provide.

Should you find any other modded version that might be working even better on the Mi 8 Pro, I'd be happy to hear from you. :)

Augmented Reality / Playground support

Even if you have Google's ARCore (Google Play Services for AR) installed on your device, it doesn't mean it's up and running. There's a built-in check that makes sure your device is officially supported and - you guessed it - the Mi 8 Pro isn't (whereas the Mi 8 is).
    I'm assuming here that you've already have ARCore installed, but if you haven't, you can download and install this version: ARCore_1.12.19082605.apk.

The important steps to getting it to work, are:
    • Go into your Magisk Manager and install the module MagiskHide Props Config
    • Make sure you have a terminal app installed, I've had some good experience with Termux
    • Open your terminal app and enter the following commands
    Code:
    su
    props
    1 [COLOR="Silver"](Edit device fingerprint)[/COLOR]
    f [COLOR="Silver"](Pick a certified fingerprint)[/COLOR]
    22 [COLOR="silver"](Xiaomi)[/COLOR]
    7 [COLOR="silver"](Xiaomi Mi 8)[/COLOR]
    1 [COLOR="silver"](Android version 8.1.0)[/COLOR]
    y [COLOR="silver"](change fingerprint)[/COLOR]
    y [COLOR="silver"](reboot)[/COLOR]

From now on, your Mi 8 Pro will identify itself as a Mi 8, enabling ARCore and thus any Augmented Reality app.

You probably also want to enable your Google Camera AR feature:
    Afterwards you are able to download "Playmojis" from within your Google Camera (More > Playground). However, sometimes you're out of luck and Google Play will stubbornly tell you that your device is not compatible with a selected package (e.g. Avengers: Endgame or Childish Gambino).
    In this case, simply download the corresponding apk package directly from apkmirror.com and you should be all set.

More information on the Google Cam AR support can be found here.
    Android 10 works on Mi 8 PRO !!!

View attachment 4990217