• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.

A "custom ROM" for a TV?

McMichael96

Jun 20, 2012
Little Rock
Know I know this seems far fetched and has nothing to do with android, but could I download a firmware update for my TV (which is installed via a USB flash drive) and extract it and replace the image files.

Most TVs seem to run on the same software so if they get it working for one, it should work for all.

I just think the ui is really ugly so I was just curious if anyone has ever tried such a thing.

LoopDoGG79

Feb 26, 2012
Modesto, Cali
Know I know this seems far fetched and has nothing to do with android, but could I download a firmware update for my TV (which is installed via a USB flash drive) and extract it and replace the image files.

Most TVs seem to run on the same software so if they get it working for one, it should work for all.

I just think the ui is really ugly so I was just curious if anyone has ever tried such a thing.
Well, the reason you can mess around with Android is cause its open source. This TV software is very likely closed source. Not impossible, but much more difficult to modify. Ive never heard of it personally

063_XOBX

Jun 6, 2010
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
First off your TV's insides are almost certainly not standardized enough for such a thing. Second there just isn't really a demand for such a thing in the first place. Smart TVs already exist, as do USB smart TV dongles.

Thats OK

Jul 29, 2012
Wish we could flash a new TV into our watching room...
Frigging Samsung plasmas suck! :mad: fixed once under warranty same problem almost exactly a year later.