A de-bullshified version of Facebook (less ads, less clutter, less crap)

kos25k

Nov 15, 2012
hello again.I have scoop xposed module and catched this force close log.Messenger f. closed after I just had wiped cache-dalvick and booted.maybe is normal dont know.
java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to instantiate application com.facebook.messenger.app.MessengerApplication: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.IOException: Failure to verify dex file '/data/data/com.facebook.orca/dex/prog-1ab84996de755d13a44d22de17622e9e6d13cfcc.dex': Bad file size (65536, expected 8781696d)
at android.app.LoadedApk.makeApplication(LoadedApk.java:569)
at android.app.ActivityThread.handleBindApplication(ActivityThread.java:4634)
at de.robv.android.xposed.XposedBridge.invokeOriginalMethodNative(Native Method)
at de.robv.android.xposed.XposedBridge.handleHookedMethod(XposedBridge.java:334)
at android.app.ActivityThread.handleBindApplication(<Xposed>)
at android.app.ActivityThread.access$1500(ActivityThread.java:156)
at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:1412)
at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:102)
at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:211)
at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:5373)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:372)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:1020)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:815)
at de.robv.android.xposed.XposedBridge.main(XposedBridge.java:102)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.IOException: Failure to verify dex file '/data/data/com.facebook.orca/dex/prog-1ab84996de755d13a44d22de17622e9e6d13cfcc.dex': Bad file size (65536, expected 8781696d)
at com.facebook.common.dextricks.DexLibLoader.loadAll(DexLibLoader.java:148)
at com.facebook.messenger.app.MessengerApplication.b(MessengerApplication.java:120)
at com.facebook.base.c.e.f(DelegatingApplication.java:56)
at com.facebook.base.c.e.attachBaseContext(DelegatingApplication.java:102)
at android.app.Application.attach(Application.java:181)
at de.robv.android.xposed.XposedBridge.invokeOriginalMethodNative(Native Method)
at de.robv.android.xposed.XposedBridge.handleHookedMethod(XposedBridge.java:334)
at android.app.Application.attach(<Xposed>)
at android.app.Instrumentation.newApplication(Instrumentation.java:996)
at android.app.Instrumentation.newApplication(Instrumentation.java:980)
at android.app.LoadedApk.makeApplication(LoadedApk.java:564)
... 14 more
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Failure to verify dex file '/data/data/com.facebook.orca/dex/prog-1ab84996de755d13a44d22de17622e9e6d13cfcc.dex': Bad file size (65536, expected 8781696d)
at dalvik.system.DexFile.openDexFileNative(Native Method)
at dalvik.system.DexFile.openDexFile(DexFile.java:295)
at dalvik.system.DexFile.<init>(DexFile.java:111)
at dalvik.system.DexFile.loadDex(DexFile.java:151)
at com.facebook.common.dextricks.MultiDexClassLoader$Configuration.addDex(MultiDexClassLoader.java:147)
at com.facebook.common.dextricks.OdexSchemeArtXdex.configureClassLoader(OdexSchemeArtXdex.java:77)
at com.facebook.common.dextricks.DexStore.loadDexFiles(DexStore.java:878)
at com.facebook.common.dextricks.DexStore.loadAllImpl(DexStore.java:703)
at com.facebook.common.dextricks.DexStore.loadAll(DexStore.java:387)
at com.facebook.common.dextricks.DexLibLoader.loadAllImpl(DexLibLoader.java:118)
at com.facebook.common.dextricks.DexLibLoader.loadAll(DexLibLoader.java:146)
... 24 more
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Failed execv(/system/bin/dex2oat --runtime-arg -classpath --runtime-arg /system/framework/XposedBridge.jar --instruction-set=arm --instruction-set-features=default --runtime-arg -Xnorelocate --boot-image=/system/framework/boot.art --dex-file=/data/data/com.facebook.orca/dex/prog-1ab84996de755d13a44d22de17622e9e6d13cfcc.dex --oat-fd=109 --oat-location=/data/data/com.facebook.orca/dex/everything.oat --runtime-arg -Xms64m --runtime-arg -Xmx512m) because non-0 exit status
... 35 more
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Failed to find dex file '/data/data/com.facebook.orca/dex/prog-1ab84996de755d13a44d22de17622e9e6d13cfcc.dex' in oat location '/data/data/com.facebook.orca/dex/everything.oat': Failed to find oat file at '/data/data/com.facebook.orca/dex/everything.oat' with expected image oat checksum of 0xb45def8d, found 0xf3029d5c
... 35 more

evilwombat

Dec 26, 2012
Norcal
hello again.I have scoop xposed module and catched this force close log.Messenger f. closed after I just had wiped cache-dalvick and booted.maybe is normal dont know.
java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to instantiate application com.facebook.messenger.app.MessengerApplication: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.IOException: Failure to verify dex file '/data/data/com.facebook.orca/dex/prog-1ab84996de755d13a44d22de17622e9e6d13cfcc.dex': Bad file size (65536, expected 8781696d)
at android.app.LoadedApk.makeApplication(LoadedApk.java:569)
Hmm. That looks like an incomplete installation of some sort. Can you try uninstalling and reinstalling the APK? It looks like one of the DEX files got massively truncated.

Hello
I see that can be considered another version of Facebook original and it is more effective so it attracts a lot of people. Congratulation

However, I want to ask is why do not you think of Facebook Lite? With it you do not need Facebook as well as Messenger and it is also quite effective in chatting, surfing information

kos25k

Nov 15, 2012
Hmm. That looks like an incomplete installation of some sort. Can you try uninstalling and reinstalling the APK? It looks like one of the DEX files got massively truncated.
now its fine!maybe it happened only on first voot after cache building!I noticed extreme lag when I was trying to search a friend of mine in my friends list.is that normal?

SUer

Oct 12, 2012
Does this/can this stop the Facebook apps from raping my battery? I've been using Swipe Pro which helped a lot, but it was never that great and I wouldn't mind the official app if it wasn't for all the battery drain and ramming ads down my throat.

kos25k

Nov 15, 2012
hello.any plans for a bullshified update of latest fb-messenger?I updated x messenger privacy to latest version and now hide online status doesnt work anymore ?

agovinoveritas

Feb 15, 2007
thetorontonian.blogspot.com
Does this/can this stop the Facebook apps from raping my battery? I've been using Swipe Pro which helped a lot, but it was never that great and I wouldn't mind the official app if it wasn't for all the battery drain and ramming ads down my throat.
Apparently and according to the chat on the street --mostly reddit -- the latest versions of the FB app are much better for battery than they used to be. Hence this mod is based on some of the most recent versions, it stands to reason that this should be much better than the versions of last year. I tried it and did not notice crazy battery drop either.

Reactions: Avhill and SUer

fone_fanatic

Aug 4, 2005
Central Texas
Much better then the popular 'wrapper' apps but can you do anything about the alarms/wakelocks? I have all permissions denied and all notifications disabled and it's still up there, currently at 109/h. Attached is screenshot of the wakelocks from 7 this morning till now (almost 11 hours).

Attachments

JJohnson1988

Dec 10, 2013
California
Much better then the popular 'wrapper' apps but can you do anything about the alarms/wakelocks? I have all permissions denied and all notifications disabled and it's still up there, currently at 109/h. Attached is screenshot of the wakelocks from 7 this morning till now (almost 11 hours).
Have you tried disabling services? The ones related to the app's push messaging seemed to help me.

redultra82

Sep 3, 2014
Having issues where the apps would just close on me, so had to uninstall and try reinstalling

Im guessing we wont see any updates on this project?

Last edited:

evilwombat

Dec 26, 2012
Norcal
Well... I'm planning an update, actually. I'm testing it out on my phone for a few days, before making a public release. Changes involve removing some additional "call-to-action" crap, possibly getting rid of some of the "featured for you" crap when interacting with a friend's page activity (assuming I did that correctly), and getting rid of the "related content" mini-browser that shows up at the lower half of the screen when watching videos using the inline browser viewer.

That last part just strikes me as especially stupid - the inline-browser video player has got to be THE single worst-designed feature in the facebook app. I've actually seen malware / scareware creating javascript pop-ups (designed to match Android's system UI style!) come through the inline browser "related content" pane. Ugh! It will be nice to see this junk disappear. I just need more time to actually USE facebook, so I can put some mileage on this version before putting it out there.

(For any facebook employees reading this post, I am of course referring to your so-called "rich video player" component. Like, why would you even DO THAT??).

Last edited:

evilwombat

Dec 26, 2012
Norcal
Okay. I just posted an update. This should get rid of some more intagram-related nonsense, and maybe the "featured for you" follow-up. The screen might twitch a little if this loads, but I don't think it will actually show up. It's been hard to test this particular mod because the annoyance in question is quite rare, and I'm not sure if I got rid of it or if I'm just not receiving these lately.

The most interesting update is to the dog-awful "rich video player" fragment. You may have noticed that some videos play natively in the app, whereas others play inside a mini-browser that opens inside the app. The lower half of this mini-browser window is usually filled with "related content" based on the video, most of which is, well, garbage. This stuff gets served by the website originally hosting the video, which may explain the terribleness. Sometimes, I've seen scripts on the page hijacking the whole mini-browser and using it to display bull**** malware warnings (designed to use the Android UI style, for extra, erm, authenticity). Well, hopefully that crap will be gone now.

I haven't really had much time to use facebook lately (hence the long test time) but we'll see where things go. I'm not really expecting issues, but if someone has a problem with v2, there's a link to the prior version in the top post.

I'm fairly happy with the state of things right now (that is, until facebook activates some additional hidden crap-ware that's buried in the code, like they do sometimes). If I get some time, I can try to attack PYML / GYSJ at the source. Aside from that, things have been fairly usable for me. But we'll see where this goes...

Good luck and have a lot of fun!

evilwombat

Dec 26, 2012
Norcal
Thanks man, seems to work very nice

Btw: is it possible to remove that story bull**** in Facebook (on the top of the page)
Oh, the wannabe snapchat crap? It scrolls away once you start scrolling. Hmm. It looks like it's partially dynamic, but I see a resource ID that may be related. Will have to try it after some sleep though, I'm afraid.

Reactions: Sander9847 and r-l
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone