Question A Family Link Hostage please help

Search This thread

zclight

Mar 8, 2023
I have a Samsung s22 Ultra device, my husband and I were trying out the parental control feature.
Even after stopping supervision, it's impossible to uninstall the parental control app and remove it's restrictions from my phone. This prevents me from using Developer Options/usb debugging, uninstalling Family Link as well as many restrictions. I cannot change my google email. (It won't allow additional email or removals)
Here are some things I tried:

1.. I've already tried age verification
  1. Already stopped the supervision on my friend's phone, completely removed from family group
  2. Tried clearing cache and storage of all Google apps
  3. Removed myself from the family through Play Store
  4. Tried resetting all settings, but factory reset is disabled
  5. Tried disabling parental control as a device admin, it is greyed out
  6. Unable to boot into safe mode
  7. Can't enable developer mode (so no ADB)
  8. Security certificate section is disabled
  9. Deleting my Google account is not at all an option, it's my primary account
  10. Tried changing the password of my Google account, and tried to force log out and reset using the Find My Device feature. That Didn't work( it says no device registered)
  11. Tried transferring the app(family link) to the SD card, and removing the SD card. Didn't help, it still has restrictions
  12. unable to reset the phone through Samsung find my device and through Google find my phone( both say my phone is not registered)
  13. on my hubby's phone it says open parental control (by going to Google In settings) and set up again to start supervision.
  14. On his phone shows no child, on my phone shows monitoring active
  15. Tried meddling with my birthday in my google account, at some point it asked me to verify my age through card, which I did. And the age got verified.
  16. Tried to install beta version of family link,by signing up through Google Play Store, hopping the beta has resolved the issue, but it didn't help
  17. Tried restarting my phone several times, but no avail
  18. Tried hard resetting(through recovery menu), the phone won’t go into recovery, it vibrates at point where it Was supposed to go into recovery menu, and boots normally and phone turns on
My problem is my phone has become laggy and I'm not able to add Google accounts.unable to reset my phone. Please help in removing malware of an app Family Link. I know this may not be the appropriate place to ask, but I am desperate. Thanks for any help.

k3lcior

Feb 23, 2011
Kraków
Moto G5
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
You can disable it with ADB. Or even uninstall if you want.

Code:
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.apps.kids.familylink

Edit: just read u cant enable dev options weird.

Last edited:

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I have a Samsung s22 Ultra device, my husband and I were trying out the parental control feature.
Even after stopping supervision, it's impossible to uninstall the parental control app and remove it's restrictions from my phone. This prevents me from using Developer Options/usb debugging, uninstalling Family Link as well as many restrictions. I cannot change my google email. (It won't allow additional email or removals)
Here are some things I tried:

1.. I've already tried age verification
  1. Already stopped the supervision on my friend's phone, completely removed from family group
  2. Tried clearing cache and storage of all Google apps
  3. Removed myself from the family through Play Store
  4. Tried resetting all settings, but factory reset is disabled
  5. Tried disabling parental control as a device admin, it is greyed out
  6. Unable to boot into safe mode
  7. Can't enable developer mode (so no ADB)
  8. Security certificate section is disabled
  9. Deleting my Google account is not at all an option, it's my primary account
  10. Tried changing the password of my Google account, and tried to force log out and reset using the Find My Device feature. That Didn't work( it says no device registered)
  11. Tried transferring the app(family link) to the SD card, and removing the SD card. Didn't help, it still has restrictions
  12. unable to reset the phone through Samsung find my device and through Google find my phone( both say my phone is not registered)
  13. on my hubby's phone it says open parental control (by going to Google In settings) and set up again to start supervision.
  14. On his phone shows no child, on my phone shows monitoring active
  15. Tried meddling with my birthday in my google account, at some point it asked me to verify my age through card, which I did. And the age got verified.
  16. Tried to install beta version of family link,by signing up through Google Play Store, hopping the beta has resolved the issue, but it didn't help
  17. Tried restarting my phone several times, but no avail
  18. Tried hard resetting(through recovery menu), the phone won’t go into recovery, it vibrates at point where it Was supposed to go into recovery menu, and boots normally and phone turns on
My problem is my phone has become laggy and I'm not able to add Google accounts.unable to reset my phone. Please help in removing malware of an app Family Link. I know this may not be the appropriate place to ask, but I am desperate. Thanks for any help.
First of all, why did you add yourself as a child requiring supervision?

Anyways, Family Link app is just an interface to change settings and permissions. Switching to beta version or doing other things with the app will not make any difference. The problem is with the account settings. Your Google account is still being supervised. Until this restriction is removed, you won't be able to add other accounts or factory reset the device. Ideally, once you stop supervision, these restrictions must go away.

Here's what you can try:

1. Join the family group again.
2. Ask the 'parent' to remove your account from supervision. My guess is you have stopped supervision from the child account. So try stopping it using the parent account.

Did you connect it to your PC when going into recovery menu?

I tried this a lot of times on my son's android device. This is the one thing I did especially I messed up the settings on my Family Link.