A guide on how to reinstall stock firmware without flashing by using KIES

Search This thread

xenoyosh

Jan 21, 2009
Marikina
Hi! This would be my first thread. I am making this to help those who want to reinstall their firmware due to a faulty update but doesn't want to learn how to flash or to try even flashing firmware through Heimdall or Odin.

In this mini guide, we will make use of the dreaded Samsung Kies.

Now I know a lot of users actually hate this software. I kind of hate it too. It is way too quirky for my tastes.

Let me make a quick background as to WHY this guide is being made.

I have decided that for the first year of owning my new S3 (or as long as I can muster) I would avoid all rooting and flashing on the phone. I went berserk with flashing on my old phone, but I just wanna take it easy and live with stock for now. (Although, I do check in every now and then regarding the developments in the forums)

The time came for my country to update our Galaxy S3 to Jelly Bean. I updated my phone over the air. After the update, I had experienced several bugs regarding the new OS, such as stuttering, hanging, as well as that annoying contact bug where my phone keeps trying to call through the internet rather than through the phone network.

From my previous experience, flashing new firmware can sometimes cause issues if you don't clear your data. In some cases, a reinstall of the firmware of the device had to be done.

I did not want to break my oath (yet), so I tried to see what Kies could do for me in this regard.

I have owned an iPod touch before and went on a Jailbreaking adventure. I know for a fact that iTunes allows a restore of the firmware of the iDevice. I though that Samsung may have something similar on their KIES software. I was right.

Here is what I did.

WARNING! This process DELETES DATA on your device

First, start up KIES and install whatever seemingly random "update" it asks you to make.

Once you are updated, you should see this screen, provided you did not connect your phone yet:

Kies7.jpg

Go ahead and connect your phone. Once your phone is connected properly, it should display your device data, such as current firmware, upgradability, as well as the memory status of your phone.

Kies2.jpg

Just go up to the top bar and choose firmware upgrade and initialization.

Kies1.jpg

It should take you to this prompt:

Kies4.jpg

As you can see, this process is a reformat and reinstallation of the latest firmware for your device. In my case, it was the latest Jelly Bean for my country. If you choose Ok, this next screen should pop up:

Kies5.jpg

This tells you your current version, and what version the reinitialization will install for you.

After choosing OK, you should see a familiar screen. This screen is what you would look at if you were updating through KIES normally, say, from ICS to Jelly Bean. Just follow the prompts, read, and you should get through it in a couple of hours. It will download a fresh copy of the latest firmware for you, that is why it takes a while.

kies6.jpg

Once the process is complete, do one final restore to factory settings, and you should be as bug free as any other person on Stock firmware, legitimate bugs notwithstanding. For me, the experience is great, the phone is fast, and it was only a matter of time before I am once again back in business.

Thank you for your time in reading this humble guide!

I am not held responsible for anything bad that happens to your device such as bricking or whatever. Doing this is entirely up to you. Still, this is a whole lot safer than flashing, since it is an OFFICIALmethod of reinstalling a firmware. Any issues you get should be redirected to Samsung, the creator of KIES

Last edited:

C0NAN

May 24, 2011
Manila
I used this method last night. I was surprised after the update that all my programs, messages where still intact. I was expecting a freshly formatted phone. Anyway the great result is that this solved my power problems with Jellybean. My phone is now as power efficient or even better than it was with ICS! Thank you xenoyosh! :D

heartofageek

Mar 26, 2013
Thank you so much for doing this tutorial! My Samsung Galaxy Reverb has been a pos since I rooted it, with a custom rom. I must have messed it up somewhere but I'm so thankful you could help! I've looked everywhere and couldn't find a stock recovery rom, that would work without a computer, for my phone. I finally don't feel like such a noob (granted I guess I sounded like one just now)! A million thank yous sir/madam!!! :laugh::victory:

drew071

Jul 27, 2010
I have been advocating this feature for a while now but one problem I found when doing this was that my csc changed to Korean from btu. I don't know if this occurred after performing a factory reset but it may be worth checking in your devices. If you have carried this out then unplug from your computer, reboot handset, reboot computer and then open kies and plug your phone in. Hopefully all is well, it's just something a ran in to on more than one occasion.

Cheers

Drew

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

what if kies tell me that my gti9300 does not support initialization?

Type it like this GT-I9300
It doesn't like lower case and you need to put the - in.

Drew

Reactions: belle701

nancygreece

Jul 27, 2013
pop-up window for starting upgrade freezes, and nothing can be seen, neither clicked

Hi,

First, compliments on making KIES actually looking workable!

BUT....I got to the point of the last pop-up window to install the update firmware, but this window opens blank (or see through to other windows that are elsewhere open), so I can not agree to nothing and neither continue.
I tried re-installing Kies, after totally de-install and cleaning up my computer etc, but effect is the same.
when I put my mouse below on the task-balk icone I can see the page in small, (not readable, too small for that), but in the pop up window nothing...
How can I fix this?? As I would prefer installing upgrade to JellyBean via KIES, rather than flashing with ODIN...
(Samsung Galaxy Ace 2, manufc Poland, bought in Greece, downloaded Kies via official site Samsung, computer windows Vista)

Last edited:

ashraf sharif

Dec 30, 2011
nyc
have you tried putting your phone in download mode before connecting to the computer? are your drivers installed correctly? lastly have you tried to upgrade using kies light? this uses less resources than the full version . allowing the program to update your software more efficiently. also once you connect the phone make sure not to move it or the micro usb cable or the computer. if anything is moved you may not be successful in upgrading due to a loose connection from the pc or phone or cable. If this doesn't work .try odin. Odin was created by samsng for internal use. It is faster and more reliable than kies. Just make sure KIES IS NOT RUNNING en flashing with ODIN. also regardless of which program you upgrade with . You should turn off your antivirus especially.as it can interfere with the update process.

phear13

Sep 1, 2013
adelaide
Does this work on a s4 GT-I9505 international rooted phone (Australia)

i read in the tutorial it may cause problems but has anyone successfully updated a rooted 9505?

thanks jamie

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
Does this work on a s4 GT-I9505 international rooted phone (Australia)

i read in the tutorial it may cause problems but has anyone successfully updated a rooted 9505?

thanks jamie

Hardly going to post S4 I9505 stuff in an S3 forum .

jje

mnksngh706

Nov 22, 2013
Delhi
i have a gt-s6312 and my android is not

hi
i have a gt-s6312 now my phone is causing a android problem what to doo
aaaa i think my phone android is curropted
now my android 4.1.2 is not opening but my phone is working only android is not opening what to do help me plssss:confused:

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
hi
i have a gt-s6312 now my phone is causing a android problem what to doo
aaaa i think my phone android is curropted
now my android 4.1.2 is not opening but my phone is working only android is not opening what to do help me plssss:confused:

This forum is not for your phone .

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi! This would be my first thread. I am making this to help those who want to reinstall their firmware due to a faulty update but doesn't want to learn how to flash or to try even flashing firmware through Heimdall or Odin.

In this mini guide, we will make use of the dreaded Samsung Kies.

Now I know a lot of users actually hate this software. I kind of hate it too. It is way too quirky for my tastes.

Let me make a quick background as to WHY this guide is being made.

I have decided that for the first year of owning my new S3 (or as long as I can muster) I would avoid all rooting and flashing on the phone. I went berserk with flashing on my old phone, but I just wanna take it easy and live with stock for now. (Although, I do check in every now and then regarding the developments in the forums)

The time came for my country to update our Galaxy S3 to Jelly Bean. I updated my phone over the air. After the update, I had experienced several bugs regarding the new OS, such as stuttering, hanging, as well as that annoying contact bug where my phone keeps trying to call through the internet rather than through the phone network.

From my previous experience, flashing new firmware can sometimes cause issues if you don't clear your data. In some cases, a reinstall of the firmware of the device had to be done.

I did not want to break my oath (yet), so I tried to see what Kies could do for me in this regard.

I have owned an iPod touch before and went on a Jailbreaking adventure. I know for a fact that iTunes allows a restore of the firmware of the iDevice. I though that Samsung may have something similar on their KIES software. I was right.

Here is what I did.

WARNING! This process DELETES DATA on your device

First, start up KIES and install whatever seemingly random "update" it asks you to make.

Once you are updated, you should see this screen, provided you did not connect your phone yet:

Kies7.jpg

Go ahead and connect your phone. Once your phone is connected properly, it should display your device data, such as current firmware, upgradability, as well as the memory status of your phone.

Kies2.jpg

Just go up to the top bar and choose firmware upgrade and initialization.

Kies1.jpg

It should take you to this prompt:

Kies4.jpg

As you can see, this process is a reformat and reinstallation of the latest firmware for your device. In my case, it was the latest Jelly Bean for my country. If you choose Ok, this next screen should pop up:

Kies5.jpg

This tells you your current version, and what version the reinitialization will install for you.

After choosing OK, you should see a familiar screen. This screen is what you would look at if you were updating through KIES normally, say, from ICS to Jelly Bean. Just follow the prompts, read, and you should get through it in a couple of hours. It will download a fresh copy of the latest firmware for you, that is why it takes a while.

kies6.jpg

Once the process is complete, do one final restore to factory settings, and you should be as bug free as any other person on Stock firmware, legitimate bugs notwithstanding. For me, the experience is great, the phone is fast, and it was only a matter of time before I am once again back in business.

Thank you for your time in reading this humble guide!

I am not held responsible for anything bad that happens to your device such as bricking or whatever. Doing this is entirely up to you. Still, this is a whole lot safer than flashing, since it is an OFFICIALmethod of reinstalling a firmware. Any issues you get should be redirected to Samsung, the creator of KIES
    One of my thanks has gone to the OP free of charge .

jje
    I have been advocating this feature for a while now but one problem I found when doing this was that my csc changed to Korean from btu. I don't know if this occurred after performing a factory reset but it may be worth checking in your devices. If you have carried this out then unplug from your computer, reboot handset, reboot computer and then open kies and plug your phone in. Hopefully all is well, it's just something a ran in to on more than one occasion.

Cheers

Drew

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

what if kies tell me that my gti9300 does not support initialization?

Type it like this GT-I9300
    It doesn't like lower case and you need to put the - in.

Drew

Thanks for the tut OP, this has almost tempted me to try Kies! On a serious note, I'm bookmarking this and putting it in my "help me, I'm in the sh*t" folder!

Trying S4 apps i very very nearly needed this .

jje
    What to do with this message?
    attachment.php

Try unplugging your phone. Then open kies and follow the same steps add before without your phone plugged in.then plug it in in download mode when it says.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone