A Guide to Windows Mobile 6.5

Search This thread

joel2009

Retired Senior Moderator
Oct 9, 2007
Oklahoma
Windows Mobile 6.5

wm65.png

I am dedicating this thread to tips and tweaks for the newest era of Windows Mobile, version 6.5. I will be updating it everyonce in awhile with my findings, if you have something to share please feel free to post it as well.

QUICK LINKS TO THE CONTENT OF THIS THREAD:

New MS Services:
Myphone
Tag Reader
Reader
Market
Facebook

cHome:
Themes and theme tutorials
How to create a Titaniam theme

ScrollBars
Moving the "lock" slider (with brief cpr tutorial, thanks drkfngthdragnlrd)
Changing the Lock Slider Text (without editing dll's)
Auto Device Lock
Menus

► Original CPR's and PNG's [QVGA here] ◄
► Shellresapps.dll here

Phone:
Always slide to answer

Startmenu:
WKtask on WM6.5
Enable Honeycomb
reStart (change icons and reorder startmenu)

Free Tools:
Total Commander (Registry editor and advanced "file explorer")
cHome Editor by Showacco
WinMerge (for file merging and comparison)
Titanium CPR Helper
Program to change Start Menu Icons Here

PS: I'm adding cab files for each hack to each post. If things look to difficult or you just aren't feeling adventurous, just hit the easy button in the bottom right corner.

Last edited:

joel2009

Retired Senior Moderator
Oct 9, 2007
Oklahoma
Cleaning Up the scrollbars

Windows mobile 6.5 has changed a lot of things to attempt to make things more finger friendly and a little easier on the eyes. One of the new additions to 6.5 is the skinnable scrollbars, and built in "scroll action" with the swipe of a finger. With everything going gestures, you may want to completely do away with scroll bars (and you can) but i suggest something a little different to cleanup your devices screen..... Simply removing the up and down arrows.

noarrow.png

If you are brave you can reduce the scrollbar's width to a half or quarter their original "defaut" size and only use them to be able to identify your location on your screen. To do this you will need to set your arrows to zero and adjust your scroll bar width in your registry. I would use Schaps Advanced Config to make your registry changes because it is alot simpler and safer, but if you just must do them by hand, here are the keys:

Change the thickness of scrollbars
To change the thickness of the scrollbars at the right/bottom of documents larger than the screen, adjust...
For the horizontal (bottom) scrollbar:
HKLM\System\GWE\cyHScr = 9 (DWORD decimal)
For the vertical (right) scrollbar:
HKLM\System\GWE\cxVScr = 9 (DWORD decimal)
The default thickness is 13. You can set the value to anything you may like

Change the length of scrollbar arrow buttons
To go with changing the thickness of the scrollbars, you may wish to change the length of the scrollbar arrow buttons...
For the horizontal (bottom) scrollbar arrows:
HKLM\System\GWE\cyVScr = 0 (DWORD decimal)
For the vertical (right) scrollbar:
HKLM\System\GWE\cxHScr = 0 (DWORD decimal)
The default length is 13. You can set the value to pretty much anything you like​

Last edited:

joel2009

Retired Senior Moderator
Oct 9, 2007
Oklahoma
Moving the Chromium Lock Slider

Most of the Hacks for Titanium will come from the ".cpr" files found in the windows directory. Cpr files are simply xml files (and to edit them you will simply need to rename them to .xml, use an .xml editor, and then rename them back to .cpr) ....or you can of course just use the "right-click open as" and open them with word pad, microsoft xml editor, ect.

In Quote from drkfngthdragnlrd,

All .cpr's are the skin layout controllers for the respective parts of WinMo 6.5. The Start Manu, Titanium, Lockscreen, Incoming Calls, anything that has a CPR is all part of CHome. All all this stuff is is just a basic shell. WinMo 6.5 otherwise isn't anything new. It's safe to say if you find all the files and regiy it can be ported into 6.1 or even 6.0 as CHome first appeared in 6.0 on the T-Mobile Shadow as Neo.

If you want to make things simple You can grab the attachment to this post and copy paste it into your Windows Directory on your ppc.

.....but if you prefer to get down and dirty, everything is explained below:

If you want a more full synopsis on cpr files before we start you can find it here.

In this specific Tweak you will want to find the CPR file named LS_LockScene[your resolution here].cpr Once you have it in your XML Editor you will want to find these Keys:

Code:
<Slider ID="LockSlider" Top="3" Left="24" Width="192" Height="40" Orientation="Middle" OnPress="ShowNotifications" OnSlideLeftFinal="Unlock" OnSlideRightFinal="Unlock" >

<Text ID="TapOrSlide" Top="45" Left="90" Width="60" Height="12" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="9" Wrap="False" HorizontalAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Middle" InnerTextType="Resource" Text="shellresapps.dll,18150">

<Text ID="SlideToUnlock" Top="45" Left="90" Width="60" Height="12" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="9" Wrap="False" HorizontalAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Middle" InnerTextType="Resource" Text="shellresapps.dll,18149">

<LockScreenListView ID="Notifications List" Top="51" Left="9" Width="222" Height="235" Columns="1" Rows="4" ItemWidth="222" ItemHeight="46" OnInitComplete="Binding:LockScreen,LS_Notifications">

These are not the slider itself but will be in the way of where you are trying to move the slider and will need to also be moved:

Code:
<LockScreenListView ID="Notifications List" Top="51" Left="9" Width="222" Height="235" Columns="1" Rows="4" ItemWidth="222" ItemHeight="46" OnInitComplete="Binding:LockScreen,LS_Notifications">

<Text ID="DateText" Left="150" Top="17" Width="90" Height="19" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="11" FontStyle="Regular" Wrap="False" HorizontalAlignment="Left" VerticalAlignment="Middle" Opacity="1.0" >

<Layer ID="Appointment" Left="5" Top="50"  OnInitComplete="Binding:LockScreen,LS_Appointment">
        <Image Width="37" Height="32" Visible="True" Opacity="1.0" ScalingAlgorithm = "TriLinear" Source="\windows\icn_cal_up.png"/>
        <Text ID="Subject" Left="40" Width="180" Height="17" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="10" FontStyle="Bold"  Wrap="False" HorizontalAlignment="Left" VerticalAlignment="Middle" Trimming="EllipsisCharacter" Opacity="1.0" >
          <TextStage TextOffsetType="TextOffsetDropBottomRight" Color="#00000000" TextOffset="1" BlurFactor="3" Alpha="1.0"/>
          <TextStage TextOffsetType="TextOffsetNone" Color="#FFFFFFFF"/>
        </Text>
        <Text ID="Time" Left="40" Top="18" Width="180" Height="15" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="8" FontStyle="Regular"  Wrap="False" HorizontalAlignment="Left" VerticalAlignment="Middle" Opacity="1.0" >
          <TextStage TextOffsetType="TextOffsetDropBottomRight" Color="#00000000" TextOffset="1" BlurFactor="3" Alpha="1.0"/>
        </Text>
        <Text ID="Location" Left="40" Top="34" Width="180" Height="15" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="8" FontStyle="Regular"  Wrap="False" HorizontalAlignment="Left" VerticalAlignment="Middle" Trimming="EllipsisCharacter" Opacity="1.0" >
        </Text>

For a QVGA Device you will want to change them to this (to have my set-up):

Code:
<Slider ID="LockSlider" Top="250" Left="24" Width="192" Height="40" Orientation="Middle" OnPress="ShowNotifications" OnSlideLeftFinal="Unlock" OnSlideRightFinal="Unlock" >

<Text ID="TapOrSlide" Top="234" Left="90" Width="60" Height="16" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="9" Wrap="False" HorizontalAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Middle" InnerTextType="Resource" Text="shellresapps.dll,18150">

<Text ID="SlideToUnlock" Top="234" Left="90" Width="60" Height="16" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="9" Wrap="False" HorizontalAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Middle" InnerTextType="Resource" Text="shellresapps.dll,18149">

<LockScreenListView ID="Notifications List" Top="188" Left="9" Width="222" Height="235" Columns="1" Rows="4" ItemWidth="222" ItemHeight="46" OnInitComplete="Binding:LockScreen,LS_Notifications">

<Layer ID="TimeX" Top="3">
      <Image ID="TimeBG" Width="240" Height="52" Visible="True" Opacity="1.0" ScalingAlgorithm = "TriLinear" Source="\windows\LS_TimeBG.png"/>

<Text ID="DateText" Left="150" Top="17" Width="90" Height="19" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="10" FontStyle="Regular" Wrap="False" HorizontalAlignment="Left" VerticalAlignment="Middle" Opacity="1.0" >

<Layer ID="AppointmentX" Left="29" Top="57">
      <Layer ID="Appointment">
        <ActiveIcon ID="Display Appointment" OnInitComplete="Binding:LockScreen,LS_Appointment">
          <Image Width="32" Height="32" Visible="True" Opacity="1.0" ScalingAlgorithm = "TriLinear" Source="\windows\icn_cal_up.png"/>
          <Text ID="Subject" Left="34" Top="2" Width="150" Height="17" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="10" FontStyle="Regular"  Wrap="False" HorizontalAlignment="Left" VerticalAlignment="Middle" Trimming="EllipsisCharacter" Opacity="1.0" >
          </Text>
          <Text ID="Time" Left="34" Top="34" Width="150" Height="15" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="8" FontStyle="Regular"  Wrap="False" HorizontalAlignment="Left" VerticalAlignment="Middle" Trimming="EllipsisCharacter" Opacity="1.0" >
          </Text>
          <Text ID="Location" Left="34" Top="20" Width="150" Height="15" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="8" FontStyle="Regular"  Wrap="False" HorizontalAlignment="Left" VerticalAlignment="Middle" Trimming="EllipsisCharacter" Opacity="1.0" >
          </Text>
        </ActiveIcon>

If you would like to change the slider to be located to the left (like s2u) you can change the orentaion of it like this:

Code:
<Slider ID="LockSlider" Top="3" Left="5" Width="192" Height="40" Orientation="Left" OnPress="ShowNotifications" OnSlideRightFinal="Unlock" >

For info on editing the lock slider text go here.

If you would like to take a look at mine (or just use it and copy it to your device) you can get it from the attachment to this post. A great tool for comparing or merging with you existing changes is WinMerge, see post one for a link.

WARNING: My file is for QVGA Devices.
For VGA, try johnrb's VGA version here.

Attachments

• LS_LockScene_240x320.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 1,590
Last edited:
Reactions: svengrasshoff

drkfngthdragnlrd

Retired Recognized Developer
Mar 27, 2008
Palmdale, CA
www.facebook.com
Menus

I noticed you have the HTC Menu Enhancement showing in the screen shots in your 1st post. To disable this and show the Windows Mobile Menus instead. Change the following registry key;

HKLM\System\GWE\Menu

CUIHandler= "DWORD"

Change 1 to 0.

NOTE: The TSK must be for Windows Mobile 6.5 and included the Menu/Scrollbar/ETC registry (HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Today\)

drkfngthdragnlrd

Mar 27, 2008
Palmdale, CA
www.facebook.com
Also, anyway to add a "speed dial" tab to Titanium?

You can make custom plugins. In NeoTitanium I made a contact dialer called CContacts. The downside to this though is atm you have to manually go into the registry to add the url's for you contacts and the program use to handled making calls. Hopefully someone who knows programming will make an app to handle this in a GUI interface so even the casual user can make use of it.

jonnrb

Aug 12, 2008
I noticed you have the HTC Menu Enhancement showing in the screen shots in your 1st post. To disable this and show the Windows Mobile Menus instead. Change the following registry key;

HKLM\System\GWE\Menu

CUIHandler= "DWORD"

Change 1 to 0.

NOTE: The TSK must be for Windows Mobile 6.5 and included the Menu/Scrollbar/ETC registry (HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Today\)

Wait... Will that key enable the HTC soft menus? I noticed on most 6.5 builds they don't work...
Also as a sidenote: joel, you may want to add how to remove the up and down arrows for the not so adventurous ones that don't want to experiment ;)

Last edited:

drkfngthdragnlrd

Mar 27, 2008
Palmdale, CA
www.facebook.com
That's good news. I've been looking for a way to enable it in the first place on 6.5. It doesn't work at all on 21500.

I know for a fact it works on 21500. I have Anryl's 21500 Rev.5 flashed and it has the HTC Soft Menu. I always have to disable it anytime I reflash or hard reset. Hard resets not due to the ROM, due to my changing things and having to test them once done on a clean install.

jonnrb

Aug 12, 2008
I know for a fact it works on 21500. I have Anryl's 21500 Rev.5 flashed and it has the HTC Soft Menu. I always have to disable it anytime I reflash or hard reset. Hard resets not due to the ROM, due to my changing things and having to test them once done on a clean install.

Well now that I know it works, I may build a 6.5 looking soft-menu theme. The 6.5 menus suck. :)

jonnrb

Aug 12, 2008
i may try and throw together a cab file with the registry settings for a quick and easy change if i get some time this weekend ;)

Yeah, I'll probably get to throwing out a custom CAB for a lockscreen CPR that I made. ;) It follows your idea of the swapped layout, with lock slider on the left, font size increases, and a ton of minor tweaks that just make it a bit easier on the eyes.
Also, I noticed that you have to modify the CPR a bit more than just setting the layout for the slider to display properly on the left side. If you just set it to appear there, you can get away with just tapping it and the phone will unlock as it's already to the left and an action is set so when the slider is moved to the left, the phone unlocks :eek:. I just simply cleared that event and everything runs smoothly now. :)
Great thread.

jonnrb

Aug 12, 2008
Dodadadoo! Ok I now have a tweaked LockScreen CPR for VGA devices that improves usability dramatically. Here you go!
Just UnZip and move to the Windows folder with TotalCommander!

Attachments

• LS_LockScreen_480x640.cpr.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 884
  • Screen28.jpg
    Screen28.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 1,784

@rj*n

Mar 1, 2008
Taplejung
Ques: is there anyway to make behave 6.5 Start Menu the way it used to in previous WM editions i.e opening Start Menu by tapping the Start button and closing it by tapping the Start button again??
And could anyone find out easier sorting of the Start Menu icons..i hate the way it has to be moved rt now :| (Tap-Hold->Move to Top) i wish it could have been moved by dragging the icons

(Sorry if this is not appropriate here.. if it is please delete!!)

Last edited:

jonnrb

Aug 12, 2008
Ques: is there anyway to make behave 6.5 Start Menu the way it used to in previous WM editions i.e opening Start Menu by tapping the Start button and closing it by tapping the Start button again??
And could anyone find out easier sorting of the Start Menu icons..i hate the way it has to be moved rt now :| (Tap-Hold->Move to Top) i wish it could have been moved by dragging the icons

(Sorry if this is not appropriate here.. if it is please delete!!)

The Start Menu issue where you press the Start Menu and nothing happens when it's already open happens because the new Start Menu is simply an EXE that loads CHome components. When you click the Start Menu again, it just opens the Start Menu again. It's not a major issue, but will probably be fixed in the official release of WM6.5.
Now reorganizing the Start Menu is a simple task of editing an XML file that controls the icons and their positioning. After the official release, I guarantee you that there will be somebody that creates a utility to do this with an even greater ease.
Now when you see bugs like that in prerelease software, you know they will be fixed because these small things were in the prerelease of 6.1 and they got fixed as well so rest assured :).

jonnrb

Aug 12, 2008
huh I'm late for the new class ...congratulations Mod. I hope all scattered WM6.5 tweaks and know-how things can be centered here :D

Actually, I just notified the theme thread guys.
This thread is going to be for non-theme hacks with CHome and the etc. Those threads are going to be for theming CHome. It's actually a very effective system if I don't say so myself :D

joel2009

Retired Senior Moderator
Oct 9, 2007
Oklahoma
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Moving the Chromium Lock Slider

Most of the Hacks for Titanium will come from the ".cpr" files found in the windows directory. Cpr files are simply xml files (and to edit them you will simply need to rename them to .xml, use an .xml editor, and then rename them back to .cpr) ....or you can of course just use the "right-click open as" and open them with word pad, microsoft xml editor, ect.

In Quote from drkfngthdragnlrd,

All .cpr's are the skin layout controllers for the respective parts of WinMo 6.5. The Start Manu, Titanium, Lockscreen, Incoming Calls, anything that has a CPR is all part of CHome. All all this stuff is is just a basic shell. WinMo 6.5 otherwise isn't anything new. It's safe to say if you find all the files and regiy it can be ported into 6.1 or even 6.0 as CHome first appeared in 6.0 on the T-Mobile Shadow as Neo.

If you want to make things simple You can grab the attachment to this post and copy paste it into your Windows Directory on your ppc.

.....but if you prefer to get down and dirty, everything is explained below:

If you want a more full synopsis on cpr files before we start you can find it here.

In this specific Tweak you will want to find the CPR file named LS_LockScene[your resolution here].cpr Once you have it in your XML Editor you will want to find these Keys:

Code:
    <Slider ID="LockSlider" Top="3" Left="24" Width="192" Height="40" Orientation="Middle" OnPress="ShowNotifications" OnSlideLeftFinal="Unlock" OnSlideRightFinal="Unlock" >

<Text ID="TapOrSlide" Top="45" Left="90" Width="60" Height="12" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="9" Wrap="False" HorizontalAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Middle" InnerTextType="Resource" Text="shellresapps.dll,18150">

<Text ID="SlideToUnlock" Top="45" Left="90" Width="60" Height="12" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="9" Wrap="False" HorizontalAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Middle" InnerTextType="Resource" Text="shellresapps.dll,18149">

These are not the slider itself but will be in the way of where you are trying to move the slider and will need to also be moved:

Code:

<Text ID="DateText" Left="150" Top="17" Width="90" Height="19" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="11" FontStyle="Regular" Wrap="False" HorizontalAlignment="Left" VerticalAlignment="Middle" Opacity="1.0" >

<Layer ID="Appointment" Left="5" Top="50"  OnInitComplete="Binding:LockScreen,LS_Appointment">
            <Image Width="37" Height="32" Visible="True" Opacity="1.0" ScalingAlgorithm = "TriLinear" Source="\windows\icn_cal_up.png"/>
            <Text ID="Subject" Left="40" Width="180" Height="17" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="10" FontStyle="Bold"  Wrap="False" HorizontalAlignment="Left" VerticalAlignment="Middle" Trimming="EllipsisCharacter" Opacity="1.0" >
            </Text>
            <Text ID="Time" Left="40" Top="18" Width="180" Height="15" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="8" FontStyle="Regular"  Wrap="False" HorizontalAlignment="Left" VerticalAlignment="Middle" Opacity="1.0" >
            </Text>
            <Text ID="Location" Left="40" Top="34" Width="180" Height="15" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="8" FontStyle="Regular"  Wrap="False" HorizontalAlignment="Left" VerticalAlignment="Middle" Trimming="EllipsisCharacter" Opacity="1.0" >
            </Text>

For a QVGA Device you will want to change them to this (to have my set-up):

Code:
    <Slider ID="LockSlider" Top="250" Left="24" Width="192" Height="40" Orientation="Middle" OnPress="ShowNotifications" OnSlideLeftFinal="Unlock" OnSlideRightFinal="Unlock" >

<Text ID="TapOrSlide" Top="234" Left="90" Width="60" Height="16" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="9" Wrap="False" HorizontalAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Middle" InnerTextType="Resource" Text="shellresapps.dll,18150">

<Text ID="SlideToUnlock" Top="234" Left="90" Width="60" Height="16" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="9" Wrap="False" HorizontalAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Middle" InnerTextType="Resource" Text="shellresapps.dll,18149">

<LockScreenListView ID="Notifications List" Top="188" Left="9" Width="222" Height="235" Columns="1" Rows="4" ItemWidth="222" ItemHeight="46" OnInitComplete="Binding:LockScreen,LS_Notifications">

<Layer ID="TimeX" Top="3">
          <Image ID="TimeBG" Width="240" Height="52" Visible="True" Opacity="1.0" ScalingAlgorithm = "TriLinear" Source="\windows\LS_TimeBG.png"/>

<Text ID="DateText" Left="150" Top="17" Width="90" Height="19" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="10" FontStyle="Regular" Wrap="False" HorizontalAlignment="Left" VerticalAlignment="Middle" Opacity="1.0" >

<Layer ID="AppointmentX" Left="29" Top="57">
          <Layer ID="Appointment">
            <ActiveIcon ID="Display Appointment" OnInitComplete="Binding:LockScreen,LS_Appointment">
              <Image Width="32" Height="32" Visible="True" Opacity="1.0" ScalingAlgorithm = "TriLinear" Source="\windows\icn_cal_up.png"/>
              <Text ID="Subject" Left="34" Top="2" Width="150" Height="17" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="10" FontStyle="Regular"  Wrap="False" HorizontalAlignment="Left" VerticalAlignment="Middle" Trimming="EllipsisCharacter" Opacity="1.0" >
              </Text>
              <Text ID="Time" Left="34" Top="34" Width="150" Height="15" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="8" FontStyle="Regular"  Wrap="False" HorizontalAlignment="Left" VerticalAlignment="Middle" Trimming="EllipsisCharacter" Opacity="1.0" >
              </Text>
              <Text ID="Location" Left="34" Top="20" Width="150" Height="15" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="8" FontStyle="Regular"  Wrap="False" HorizontalAlignment="Left" VerticalAlignment="Middle" Trimming="EllipsisCharacter" Opacity="1.0" >
              </Text>
            </ActiveIcon>

If you would like to change the slider to be located to the left (like s2u) you can change the orentaion of it like this:

Code:
    <Slider ID="LockSlider" Top="3" Left="5" Width="192" Height="40" Orientation="Left" OnPress="ShowNotifications" OnSlideRightFinal="Unlock" >

For info on editing the lock slider text go here.

If you would like to take a look at mine (or just use it and copy it to your device) you can get it from the attachment to this post. A great tool for comparing or merging with you existing changes is WinMerge, see post one for a link.

WARNING: My file is for QVGA Devices.
    For VGA, try johnrb's VGA version here.
    Only if it's installed I guess. This is how to disable it. Anryl's ROM has it install and turned on by default.

That's good news. I've been looking for a way to enable it in the first place on 6.5. It doesn't work at all on 21500.
    i've already install wm6.5 on my himalaya. But i cann't find ms office. Is it wm 6.5 doesn't have ms office. Where can i download for it?
    Thanks
    Office 2007 Mobile in Storage Card:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=421366