• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we migrated and software and made it more secure. We recommend trying to reset your password.

A Performance Tip.

consegregate

Feb 2, 2011
Singapore
I am not sure as to whether this should go to the general, or the development thread. But I think developers as well as other users gotta know if there's something that can improve rom performance.

So, I've noticed apart from 16 bit transparency, there's another tweak in the later cm7.2 roms of
debug.sf.hw=1
debug.composition.type=gpu

These lines forces GPU to render graphics. In the early gingerbread leak roms debug.sf.hw=1 is the source of a pain for all users, slowing ALL popup animations and lagging them badly, and also rendering the screenoff animation inexistent. The solution was to comment out the line itself.
Later these lines became a standard in Cm7.2 roms. I commented them out anyways, bringing a very slight improvement to performance.

But now, I believe there is a better tweak. Debug.composition.type has 2 settings of gpu or cpu. Out of curiosity I wrote 2 lines into build.prop, in an attempt to make BOTH CPU and GPU to work the graphics.

After rebooting I found that there WAS indeed an improvement in touch response time, and graphics seems to be smoother.

A long time spent in xda made me think about the placebo effect. But I tested this on many occasions with many roms and found, to my pleasure that there is indeed a difference. Believe me, I spent time STARING at some touch events and I do feel a difference.
So here I recommend you all to do the same.

Flash the updated adreno libraries, which adds the above 2 lines into build.prop. Following this, add a next line of debug.composition.type=cpu following the gpu line. Fairly easy to do with a root browser; I use root explorer.

I hope this thread doesn't get moved until this becomes a standard! I post in no attempt to hoard thanks, or donations, I just want everyone else following xda with a **** phone like the Ace to make their lives a little better. Well, you all are here, undeniably, because you are OCD about your phone speed.
Thanks for reading and have a nice day!

Jar3112

Aug 20, 2011
Vicenza
I think this is interesting, but I didn't understand well the procedure. Do I just have to write these lines in build.prop? I suppose they are meant to be placed in a specific position am I right?
Could you please write down the precise lines to copy and the position in which doing that?

Sent from my Ace on Apocalypse Rom

consegregate

Feb 2, 2011
Singapore
I think this is interesting, but I didn't understand well the procedure. Do I just have to write these lines in build.prop? I suppose they are meant to be placed in a specific position am I right?
Could you please write down the precise lines to copy and the position in which doing that?

Yup, in build.prop.
Begin on a new line. Doesn't matter where you place it, you could write the below debug.composition.type=gpu if you like, or you could just add it to the bottom.

Reactions: Jar3112

Jar3112

Aug 20, 2011
Vicenza
Done. Will give feedback in 24 hrs! :)

Edit: i did not flash latest adreno libs, is it the same? I am on apocalypse rom!

Last edited:

_Roysten

Sep 9, 2011
Problem found: Opera mini does not start anymore. (Most likely problem after flashing latest adreno libs)

Don't think this will work anyway, first it gets set to gpu, and after that it will change to cpu.

Last edited:

consegregate

Feb 2, 2011
Singapore
Problem found: Opera mini does not start anymore. (Most likely problem after flashing latest adreno libs)

Don't think this will work anyway, first it gets set to gpu, and after that it will change to cpu.
I didn't think it would work as well. But it did. Well it never hurts to try.
Opera mini runs regardless of what I did with build.prop. Nope, no such problems.

Pseudonym

Feb 22, 2012
Imus, Cavite
Can someone explain to me why two different values for the debug.composition.type?

debug.composition.type=gpu
debug.composition.type=cpu

Shouldn't it be debug.composition.type=gpu only? Kindly explain. :confused:

PsyGik

Jan 8, 2012
Little more

I guess We all know these :p

Code:
debug.performance.tuning=1 - Increases touch responsiveness.
video.accelerate.hw=1 - Increases touch responsiveness.
windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=120 - Increases scrolling responsiveness.

@OP, excellent tweak mate! Keep up the good work :good: