A Temp root solution for Nokia 5.1 Plus

Search This thread

stizzie

Mar 20, 2013
2019fee24111-d4bd-42ac-80c5-11b877bfdf03.png

This method is based on Amazing Temp Root for MediaTek ARMv8 by diplomatic

Clever work that give MTK-soc devices a bootless root ( Root remains until reboot ). And lucky enough it works on our Nokia 5.1 Plus

So to begin :
-Grab diplomatic lastest mtk-su.zip in Amazing Temp Root for MediaTek ARMv8

- Follow instructions from Bootless root with Magisk and MTK-SU
#You can install Magisk Manager from the magisk 18.1 package, or any version below 7.1.2. Lastest version of MM doesn't work.

And your device should have root permission.

Last edited:

vddrnnr

Aug 12, 2012
Hi stizzir,

Great post I've tried it and it works.
The only problem I had is that you can't use the latest version of Magisk Manager you
need to use the 7.0.0 version if not Magisk manager won't open after running the suboot.sh script.

I was wondering if with this we may be able to get full root and also turn the notch on and
off on devices that don't have the Full Bezel option in Display Settings or Developer Options.

Best regards,
voidRunner

stizzie

Mar 20, 2013
@vddrnnr
The only problem I had is that you can't use the latest version of Magisk Manager you
need to use the 7.0.0 version if not Magisk manager won't open after running the suboot.sh script.

Wow good to know, i encountered that problem too, and you figure it out !

I was wondering if with this we may be able to get full root and also turn the notch on and
off on devices that don't have the Full Bezel option in Display Settings or Developer Options.

I don't think full root can be acquired since there are still no Bootloader unlock solution yet, really looking for that. N-tool devs are working on it and they said X5 unlock is coming soon. But the bootless root work fine ! couldn't complain anything, it's basically a rooted device.

Rustdroid

I tried Adaway it didn't work first time but worked second time, After that it would not work again no matter what I tried, says not enough space on partition. I checked host file when it worked and it had changed. Titanium backup worked, SD maid worked. Looks like I was wrong you can't edit or delete anything in system folder.

Last edited:

stizzie

Mar 20, 2013
@rustdroid
I tried it as well and it works. Thanks for letting us know I've been checking these forums every week waiting for something like this. I also used Magisk 7.0.0 inside the 18.1 Magisk zip. Latest version didn't work.

No problems, but again, all the credits go to diplomatic for his work, I'm just lucky enough to come across his thread.
Yes latest Magisk doesn't work, diplomatic had already mentioned it the original thread.

stizzie

Mar 20, 2013
I tried Adaway it didn't work first time but worked second time, After that it would not work again no matter what I tried, says not enough space on partition. I checked host file when it worked and it had changed. Titanium backup worked, SD maid worked. Mixplore root worked I deleted Google drive app from system/apps but took a few tries and reboots for it to be uninstalled, the folder always restores after reboot.

This is just a temporary solution so don't expect much out of it.
The doors will be open once the Bootloader can be unlock

Rustdroid

Can someone else with this phone try Adaway to see if it can edit host file or delete a system app like Google drive (move the app file in system/apps replace it after tested) ? Just want to see if I'm only one that can't edit system folder.

Edit: It's okay I just read that you can't modify System/Vendor partition unless boot image modified. Will have to wait until bootloader unlocked.

Last edited:

stizzie

Mar 20, 2013
Hi stizzir,

Best regards,
voidRunner

Can someone else with this phone try Adaway to see if it can edit host file or delete a system app like Google drive (move the app file in system/apps replace it after tested) ? Just want to see if I'm only one that can't edit system folder.

Edit: It's okay I just read that you can't modify System/Vendor partition unless boot image modified. Will have to wait until bootloader unlocked.

Man i just can't wait for the Bootloader unlock. Nokia obviously doesn't want to offer a official unlock service ( at least for now ) since the android one line-up is meant to be as stock as possible. The company also promised to support new Android One devices in the next 3 years, so allowing Bootloader unlock will work agains their product course i think.
I have seen many attempts from the community however, and i have trust in them, many devices get unlocked by a unofficial method so.... Wait for the good news.

Last edited:

Rustdroid

@stizzie I can't wait, hate having a device that I don't have full control. I've asked Nokia on there forums and signed a partition that is closed now, That's all I can do and just wait. I read somewhere that Nokia will allow it soon but who knows how long. Hopefully someone finds another way soon.

Ranjhag

Jun 18, 2019

Clever work that give MTK-soc devices a bootless root ( Root remains until reboot ). And lucky enough it works on our Nokia 5.1 Plus

So to begin :

#You can install Magisk Manager from the magisk 18.1 package, or any version below 7.1.2. Lastest version of MM doesn't work.

Can I give permission to es file file explorer if yes than how??
And can I modify this partition Device/data/nvram/APCFG/APRDEB

stizzie

Mar 20, 2013
Can I give permission to es file file explorer if yes than how??
And can I modify this partition Device/data/nvram/APCFG/APRDEB

Just follow instructions in the provided links, you should have root permission. Applications working or not really depends on your device so it won't hurt if you try it yourself.

Ranjhag

Jun 18, 2019
Device is Nokia 5.1 plus?
And sir can u tell me where I have to paste mku-su file? In the pc

Last edited:

Ilgazc

Aug 26, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
I got OTA update today while this thing was running so no OTA issues.

Just 2 warnings:
1) Don't write even a single byte to system partition or boot partition.
2) Don't expect Netflix etc to work since it breaks CTS profile and basic integrity. Banking apps etc will whine for rightful reasons too.

Reactions: Rajeel911

Rustdroid

Just 2 warnings:
2) Don't expect Netflix etc to work since it breaks CTS profile and basic integrity. Banking apps etc will whine for rightful reasons too.

It doesn't let you do anything to system or boot partition. I tried editing and deleting and doesn't work. Have to wait until bootloader unlocked.

Ilgazc

Aug 26, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
Doing this won't kill OTA, right?

It doesn't let you do anything to system or boot partition. I tried editing and deleting and doesn't work. Have to wait until bootloader unlocked.

If you (by chance) are able to write a single byte to system or boot partition on this dm-Verity enabled device, it won't boot and will need service center.

That changes if bootloader can be unlocked of course.

Reactions: Rajeel911

Rustdroid

If you (by chance) are able to write a single byte to system or boot partition on this dm-Verity enabled device, it won't boot and will need service center.

That changes if bootloader can be unlocked of course.

Okay thanks for the info. Guess I was lucky that you can't do anything. I tired to delete a few pre installed apps and edit the host file. Looks like this is as good as it gets until we can unlock bootloader.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2019fee24111-d4bd-42ac-80c5-11b877bfdf03.png

So to begin :

Will not work after March security update

Google had patched the fix for this and will not work after March security update.
    Hi stizzir,

Best regards,
    voidRunner
    I tried it as well and it works. Thanks for letting us know I've been checking these forums every week waiting for something like this. I also used Magisk 7.0.0 inside the 18.1 Magisk zip. Latest version didn't work.

Just 2 warnings: