Question A working GCam for Motorola Edge 20 Pro?

Search This thread

Milica84

Dec 4, 2020
I think he upgrade LMC 8.2 V8 to LMC 8.4 V9

You should too upgrade from 8.2 to 8.4 (y)
Thanks for the clarification... I tried that version too - too much tweaking is needed (again) in order for 8.4 V9 to remotely come close to 8.2 V7, so I kind of gave up...

Do any of you have a config for 8.4 that you are satisfied with? Especially the wide cam and white dots from phase autofocus - I tried to set noise reduction so that I don't see the dots, but I am still not satisfied with the results...

At least the good news is that after Android 12 update, my gcam versions still work.

Vabond

Jul 1, 2012
Moscow
I trying to use LMC 8.4 with basic configuration, but get quality worster that on stock camera.
If I use hasli-r6_27-12_21.xml configuration, then gcam failing in the moment when I make the shot.

Last edited:

Milica84

Dec 4, 2020
I trying to use LMC 8.4 with basic configuration, but get quality worster that on stock camera.
If I use hasli-r6_27-12_21.xml configuration, then gcam failing in the moment when I make the shot.
It is failing because this config is for version 8.2, sadly the configs are not compatible between 8.2 and 8.4 versions...

Milica84

Dec 4, 2020
Try my config for LMC 8.4 R9. This config xml without dots fix. White dots can be removed by luma denoise, however it will make photo blur a lot.
Nice colors with this config 😊 the sharpness on main cam could be better for me...maybe it is failing autofocus, it is fairly common with this phone...

Milica84

Dec 4, 2020
My latest config for LMC 8.2 ver R7 (I think it would work with r8 too).
R7 is still my preferred gcam, and by now I tried hundreds 😂

Attachments

• hasli-r7_5_5_22.xml
    90.1 KB · Views: 97

Milica84

Dec 4, 2020
On another note...how do you best compare config values?
Is there an app, do you use xml reader, or do you go through gcam to see differences?

Also how to easily compare configs between different gcam versions, with very different menu options and incompatible configs, but to compare the values of parameters you are interested in?

Dayuser

Jun 26, 2016
Moto G7 Power
On another note...how do you best compare config values?
Is there an app, do you use xml reader, or do you go through gcam to see differences?

Also how to easily compare configs between different gcam versions, with very different menu options and incompatible configs, but to compare the values of parameters you are interested in?
I use this to compare photos between two gcam apps.

Milica84

Dec 4, 2020
I use this to compare photos between two gcam apps.

Yeah, me too, but I have trouble comparing config values...I would like to understand more what setting does what in different gcam versions, and what makes one config better than another. Also, when you switch versions and configs are not compatible, but you want to recreate the similar look in another version.

Milica84

Dec 4, 2020
I found an 8.4 gcam version that I like - LMC-8.4 R11 Lite. I was able to replicate most of the things I liked about Hasli 8.2 r7.
I am not able to replicate the sharpness of details I used to have on x5 lens, and the softness on the selfi cam, but I think in r11 version I get less noise on all lenses, main cam has less detail sharpening artifacts, and wide cam shows less on the white dots with minimal adjustment. Also no noise model change in this one since I did not experience color bleed so far.
Here is the new config. It is compatible with r11 full version as well.
Cheers

Attachments

• 8.4_replica_1_7_22_front.xml
    26.9 KB · Views: 220
Reactions: LaurenceGough

LaurenceGough

Aug 12, 2013
I found an 8.4 gcam version that I like - LMC-8.4 R11 Lite. I was able to replicate most of the things I liked about Hasli 8.2 r7.
I am not able to replicate the sharpness of details I used to have on x5 lens, and the softness on the selfi cam, but I think in r11 version I get less noise on all lenses, main cam has less detail sharpening artifacts, and wide cam shows less on the white dots with minimal adjustment. Also no noise model change in this one since I did not experience color bleed so far.
Here is the new config. It is compatible with r11 full version as well.
Cheers
Thanks for all your testing, you mentioned you tried 100s!!

I am struggling to find that gcam version when Googling, would you mind linking me? Someone mentioned as well that R11 doesn't support any aux cams but you mention that the x5 lens works so I guess it does.

Stock moto cam has such soft photos, you can see just after it takes the photo it's nice and sharp, then it processes it and ruins it. Many complaints online about the same issue. I do wonder what Motorola are doing, they used to be better than this for software.

Milica84

Dec 4, 2020
Thanks for all your testing, you mentioned you tried 100s!!

I am struggling to find that gcam version when Googling, would you mind linking me? Someone mentioned as well that R11 doesn't support any aux cams but you mention that the x5 lens works so I guess it does.

Stock moto cam has such soft photos, you can see just after it takes the photo it's nice and sharp, then it processes it and ruins it. Many complaints online about the same issue. I do wonder what Motorola are doing, they used to be better than this for software.
Here is the Telegram post I downloaded it from https://t.me/gcamlm/249?single. It is "LMC release" group, you can find Hasli (8.4 and previous) and Helena 8.2 versions there.

R11 version (lite too) supports aux lenses but you need to enable it in options. You can rename them as well. Everything works so far and I am sticking with this version for now.

I completely agree about stock moto cam - photos look good for a second and then postprocessing ruins everything. And it is quite anoying that they pretend (in Lenovo forums) that there is nothing wrong with their processing...

LaurenceGough

Aug 12, 2013
Here is the Telegram post I downloaded it from https://t.me/gcamlm/249?single. It is "LMC release" group, you can find Hasli (8.4 and previous) and Helena 8.2 versions there.

R11 version (lite too) supports aux lenses but you need to enable it in options. You can rename them as well. Everything works so far and I am sticking with this version for now.

I completely agree about stock moto cam - photos look good for a second and then postprocessing ruins everything. And it is quite anoying that they pretend (in Lenovo forums) that there is nothing wrong with their processing...
Thanks very much. It's a shame Motorola don't seem to care at all. All you see always is the same copy and paste answers. It might as well be a Chinese company that never respond. Just because they respond doesn't mean they have listened or helped at all...

dolhq

Thanks very much. It's a shame Motorola don't seem to care at all. All you see always is the same copy and paste answers. It might as well be a Chinese company that never respond. Just because they respond doesn't mean they have listened or helped at all...
I'm Chinese. One of the motorola product manager is active in a third part forum. However, when the users post some issue or bugs that he doesn't like, he will drag them into blacklist. What a shame for him to be a manager!

I also told him this phone's main lense use sun-glasses, because the Light Transmission is too low, just like aperture f3.4. And then he dragged me to blacklist.

Someday he found I post an excellent config for gcam, he dragged me out and download the config, and then left some rude words comments, and then dragged me blacklist again. wtf?

Reactions: LaurenceGough

LaurenceGough

Aug 12, 2013
I'm Chinese. One of the motorola product manager is active in a third part forum. However, when the user post some issue or bugs that he doesn't like, he will drag them into blacklist. What a shame for him to be a manager!

I also told him this phone's main lense use sun-glasses, because the Light Transmission is too low, just like aperture f3.4. And then he dragged me to blacklist.

Someday he found I post an excellent config for gcam, he dragged me out and download the config, and then left some rude words comments, and then dragged me blacklist again. wtf?
Shocking!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm Chinese. One of the motorola product manager is active in a third part forum. However, when the users post some issue or bugs that he doesn't like, he will drag them into blacklist. What a shame for him to be a manager!

Wooow this is incredible! Can you please share which forum is this so that we know what we are dealing with?

They use Chinese to communicate. Can you understand?

www.coolapk.com

you should install its app to communicate.
    And the product manager's ID is "bonata", the same ID in the Chinese official forum.
    Hi I did not test this, but I read somewhere that there are options in Developer settings for correcting this, and that it shoud be set to value 1 or 2. See which options in the screenshot. If you test it and it works, let us know 😉
    It does not work. I didnt see that setting does nothing
    Hey, thanks for the info.
    I do not scan apks coming from (hopefully) good developers so I do not know whether it is a false positive or an actual threat.

The only other place I know that aggregates gcam versions is https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-suggested/
    There you can see that Hasli has R9 the latest version https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-hasli/
    But this site is known not to have the most recent versions... Now I am interested in what your website will say about R9 from celsoazevedo :) Let me know if you test it.

Cheers,
    Milica
    Hi Milica,

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, I am still on version R9 and so far Virus Total's scan results shows no malware detected. Will try out other version when I have the time.
    LMC 8.4 R11 Lite would be almost perfect i that wideangle lense correction worked. And maybe get that camera restart lense change off, but that not really issue.
    New config file for Edge 20 Pro. I keep on updating since I am making the file optimized to different lighting conditions.
    What GCam Mod application are you using?
    I'm using this:

But if you meant what I use to update the config file, you just need to open Gcam and there is a settings under 'Modules'.
    You need to manually update the config per lens (front, ultrawide, main and periscope).
    I had several variants installed until now, but by far the best and most functional is the last iteration of nikita gcam 8.3. I will try to put the link here. (video in zoom cam still not working)
    @peterdoherty : Did you also try some config with it? If yes, can you please let me know which one worked the best? I tried the Nikita one as well, but the photos are a little less bright by default...
    Just some tweeks by trial and error. I think the darkness was caused by enabling auto sunset or auto twilight (i don't remember the name exactly, it was a little icon above the camera selector toggle). As soon as i disable it the pics were considerably brighter.
    Also I enabled and renamed the wide and zoom camera, set auto night mode. And that's about it.
    My updated config for Edge 20 Pro.
    - well balanced exposure for all cameras
    - reduced sharpness
    - tweaked HDR and Expo Map to LUT

What you see in the viewfinder is the exact image you expect in post processing.