Question A working GCam for Motorola Edge 20 Pro?

Search This thread

piyush_soni

Nov 19, 2012
Hi,
I recently bought this device, but unfortunately, compared to my Pixel 3a, it's camera is really bad! Can someone please help me with a trustworthy GCam apk that works for it? Thank you!
(There are quite a few websites for it but I don't know which ones to trust)

Last edited:
Reactions: phamthivn

piyush_soni

Nov 19, 2012
@peterdoherty : Did you also try some config with it? If yes, can you please let me know which one worked the best? I tried the Nikita one as well, but the photos are a little less bright by default...

peterdoherty

Feb 10, 2016
otopeni
@peterdoherty : Did you also try some config with it? If yes, can you please let me know which one worked the best? I tried the Nikita one as well, but the photos are a little less bright by default...
Just some tweeks by trial and error. I think the darkness was caused by enabling auto sunset or auto twilight (i don't remember the name exactly, it was a little icon above the camera selector toggle). As soon as i disable it the pics were considerably brighter.
Also I enabled and renamed the wide and zoom camera, set auto night mode. And that's about it.

ijuanp03

Mar 26, 2010
I made a config for the Edge 20 Pro. I reduced the contrast and sharpness while retaining detail. Also reduced HDR overall lightness.

The final image is brighter.

Edit: new config as of Dec 4

Attachments

• Edge 20 Pro (Dec 16).xml
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,321
Last edited:

ijuanp03

Mar 26, 2010
My updated config for Edge 20 Pro.
- well balanced exposure for all cameras
- reduced sharpness
- tweaked HDR and Expo Map to LUT

What you see in the viewfinder is the exact image you expect in post processing.

Attachments

• Edge 20 Pro (Final).xml
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,150
Last edited:

ijuanp03

Mar 26, 2010
What GCam Mod application are you using?
I'm using this:

But if you meant what I use to update the config file, you just need to open Gcam and there is a settings under 'Modules'.
You need to manually update the config per lens (front, ultrawide, main and periscope).

ijuanp03

Mar 26, 2010
New config file.
This file is to lift detail in shadows especially when you are taking your subject against the light. Also good for portraits since Pixel's algorithm is too harsh on skin tones (make you look older than in real life).

Attachments

• Edge 20 Pro (Dec 16).xml
    31.9 KB · Views: 587

phamthivn

Dec 21, 2021
Dear all friend i have version cam is working good but it is working one camera
can try this link Gcam
i hope many version gcam is good for Edge 20 Pro
sorry because im bad english

Attachments

• MGC 8.2.300 Parrot043 V9.apk
    75.5 MB · Views: 605
Reactions: ijuanp03

Milica84

Dec 4, 2020
After much testing and tweeking, including the gcam versions given here, I have to say that my absolute best gcam version is Hasli.

Currently working with version Helena R6, link for download is here: https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-hasli/.

My very much tweaked config, latest version is shared here.
Every cam and many options are tweaked, including white balance, noise reduction, detail preservation etc.
I am still not 100% satisfied with white balance in all circumstances, but overall best so far.
White dots in ultrawide cam are somewhat corrected with luma noise reduction - much better but not gone.

The only problem I have with this version is with selfi cam - there is a color bleed between surfaces, see the example attached. But this is the problem I have with every gcam version 8 I have tried (version 7.3 does not have this issue). I cannot figure out how to fix it.

I hope someone else will test this cam and config :)
There are still many options I did not try and there is no good guide for this version, and no community to discuss problems and tweaks (the Telegram group I have has locked comments).

It is true - Motorola did not do the best job with this phone's camera and gcam cannot fix everything but I think this makes it usable.

Happy Holidays!
Milica

Attachments

• hasli-r6_27_12_21.xml
    51.8 KB · Views: 857
  • Screenshot_20211227-143440.png
    Screenshot_20211227-143440.png
    85.2 KB · Views: 1,173
  • color bleed.jpg
    color bleed.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 1,172
Reactions: mariosenta

tmmelo

Jul 23, 2015
Cuiaba
After much testing and tweeking, including the gcam versions given here, I have to say that my absolute best gcam version is Hasli.

Currently working with version Helena R6, link for download is here: https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-hasli/.

My very much tweaked config, latest version is shared here.
Every cam and many options are tweaked, including white balance, noise reduction, detail preservation etc.
I am still not 100% satisfied with white balance in all circumstances, but overall best so far.
White dots in ultrawide cam are somewhat corrected with luma noise reduction - much better but not gone.

The only problem I have with this version is with selfi cam - there is a color bleed between surfaces, see the example attached. But this is the problem I have with every gcam version 8 I have tried (version 7.3 does not have this issue). I cannot figure out how to fix it.

I hope someone else will test this cam and config :)
There are still many options I did not try and there is no good guide for this version, and no community to discuss problems and tweaks (the Telegram group I have has locked comments).

It is true - Motorola did not do the best job with this phone's camera and gcam cannot fix everything but I think this makes it usable.

Happy Holidays!
Milica
When i try to import your XML It Just says configs not found. Where the cam app search for It?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi I try to find xml config for gcam (new version gcam), but ican't, please help me
    New config file for Edge 20 Pro. I keep on updating since I am making the file optimized to different lighting conditions.
    What GCam Mod application are you using?
    I'm using this:

But if you meant what I use to update the config file, you just need to open Gcam and there is a settings under 'Modules'.
    You need to manually update the config per lens (front, ultrawide, main and periscope).
    I had several variants installed until now, but by far the best and most functional is the last iteration of nikita gcam 8.3. I will try to put the link here. (video in zoom cam still not working)
    Hey all, it's been a while...
    Just an update, I am still using LMC 8.4 Release 11 LITE with the config I'm attaching.

After all this tweaking, I can say that I am satisfied with this phone hardware. In the config I did not tweek enough the telephoto lens - it's still a bit dark and dull, and less detailed,, so if somebody has a good combination for 5x, I's appreciate it. But otherwise, it served me quite well over the year and during traveling.

I tasted later versions from LMC Hasli, but saw no meaningful improvement and some details would need to be tweaked again, so I gave up.

Stock for me is still a no-go - much worse picture quality than gcam.

Lately I was considering moving to Motorola Edge 30 Ultra, seeing how some praised the camera, but coming here and to the Lenovo forum - it got clear pretty fast that they are struggling with the same problems as we did - stock is bull****, ruining the result from great hardware. Just look at those examples of 200MP downscaled to 50 or 12MP - those shots are soooo good! Detailed, pleasant, natural - perfect. But their postprocessing just destroys everything, and as usual - even when presented with clear examples, Motorola support just give generic answers and never improves anything. And again - gcam is an option, but it requires a lot of tweaking and still it is not enough...

So no upgrade for me now! To bad, as I like this phone in other aspects, and without the camera problem, I would gladly buy Motorola again. But I think I will keep looking at other brands.

Happy holidays :)
    In case anyone is need of sample photos. Here's one with the default camera (using Android 13 and latest Play Store updates for the camera) and here's LMC 8.4 R11 Lite with the above linked config.
    The files have been compressed, so I could upload them here.
    Default camera:
    IMG_20230429_215756945.jpg

LMC 8.4 R11 Lite + config (HDR is on, but not the enhanced version, just the normal):
    LMC_20230429_215749_config.jpg