Question A working GCam for Motorola Edge 20 Pro?

Search This thread

St.Noigel

Mar 7, 2013
Ivano-Frankivsk
Hello, i'm worry about camera quality. Seems so hard to get a good shot. When you tap a person to focus, camera do focus wherever it wants. Low light conditions are truly hard for this device...
camera on Edge 20 pro is... just piece of s***t... I have a hope to next update. Where are many threads on Lenovo official about it.. So - we still have a hope!

bssardinha

Dec 7, 2011
camera on Edge 20 pro is... just piece of s***t... I have a hope to next update. Where are many threads on Lenovo official about it.. So - we still have a hope!
Same thought here.
Came from a note 10+ (exynos variant) and besides the screen (flat and high refresh rate), it's been so frustating.
Moto Edge 20 pro camera compared to Samsung's flagship camera are just a bad joke!

Reactions: St.Noigel

mobispy

Mar 26, 2012
Google Pixel 7
After much testing and tweeking, including the gcam versions given here, I have to say that my absolute best gcam version is Hasli.

Currently working with version Helena R6, link for download is here: https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-hasli/.

My very much tweaked config, latest version is shared here.
Every cam and many options are tweaked, including white balance, noise reduction, detail preservation etc.
I am still not 100% satisfied with white balance in all circumstances, but overall best so far.
White dots in ultrawide cam are somewhat corrected with luma noise reduction - much better but not gone.

The only problem I have with this version is with selfi cam - there is a color bleed between surfaces, see the example attached. But this is the problem I have with every gcam version 8 I have tried (version 7.3 does not have this issue). I cannot figure out how to fix it.

I hope someone else will test this cam and config :)
There are still many options I did not try and there is no good guide for this version, and no community to discuss problems and tweaks (the Telegram group I have has locked comments).

It is true - Motorola did not do the best job with this phone's camera and gcam cannot fix everything but I think this makes it usable.

Happy Holidays!
Milica
Hi,

For fixing color bleeding between surfaces you can try below settings

Go to Settings-> Image processing -> Front camera -> Noise reduction model -> Select noise model as MotoG8power_ov16e10-16

Cheers

Last edited:

Milica84

Dec 4, 2020
Hi,

For fixing color bleeding between surfaces you can try below settings

Go to Settings-> Image processing -> Front camera -> Noise reduction model -> Select noise model as MotoG8power_ov16e10-16

Cheers
This worked! Thank you. The picture is a bit less sharp but no color bleed.

Cheers

konradinho16

Dec 22, 2015
Hey. am I the only one that experiences Helena R6 app crashing during "double twist" gesture (when device is locked and sometimes when it's already unlocked)?

cowffee

May 26, 2016
Daegu
is it just me whose gcam crashes when i set video to 4k?

I'm using helena R6 with the xml file milica posted

edit: updated to r7, still crashes

Last edited:

konradinho16

Dec 22, 2015
Ok, so unfortunately I deleted Gcam version that worked well on my phone, probably it was Nikita 1. 4. Im nearly 100% sure it was OP9Pro config, but now when i try to get it work it crashes. Cannot use Gcam anymore.
Can you guys just point me one version of Gcam working On Your phone, with config that enables using both telephoto and wide Lens?

Thank you in advance for Your help

Reactions: amunarjoh

cheemsyogi

May 8, 2022
This worked! Thank you. The picture is a bit less sharp but no color bleed.

Cheers
@Milica84 , i used LMC8.2 with pro , sharpness is fine for me and colour is balanced, thanks for suggesting, if you have any updates on this please do tell

however it's images are bit dark , like the output image is darker than what i see in view finder, is there any way that i can fix this , i want to make it a bit saturated and brighter

thanks in advance

Milica84

Dec 4, 2020
@Milica84 , i used LMC8.2 with pro , sharpness is fine for me and colour is balanced, thanks for suggesting, if you have any updates on this please do tell

however it's images are bit dark , like the output image is darker than what i see in view finder, is there any way that i can fix this , i want to make it a bit saturated and brighter

thanks in advance
Hi, I did not notice that the image is darker than the view finder... Do you mean only in the Pro mode or in other modes as well?
If it is all the time, you can try to reduce Exposure from -3 default to -2 or -1 (for the main lens, it in settings/Image processing/Main camera/Exposure main lens) and see how that goes...

cheemsyogi

May 8, 2022
darker image issue was on all modes

i tried it but it is not resolving the issue , however the "darker image" issue is mainly in front camera, rear camera gives decent results , maybe the front camera is worst

for now i downloaded the R9 version of LMC and trying to tweak thing on my own , the front camera images are better than R6, hope this will give appropriate results,

thanks for the help

Milica84

Dec 4, 2020
darker image issue was on all modes

i tried it but it is not resolving the issue , however the "darker image" issue is mainly in front camera, rear camera gives decent results , maybe the front camera is worst

for now i downloaded the R9 version of LMC and trying to tweak thing on my own , the front camera images are better than R6, hope this will give appropriate results,

thanks for the help
Sure, let us know how it worked.

I am still on version R7 - tried R8 and could not obtain exactly the same results using my custom config (picture was worse with R8 even though the settings were identical), so I reverted back to R7.

Can you please share the link for R9 version? I thought R8 was final, at least that's what the Telegram LMC group said...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New config file for Edge 20 Pro. I keep on updating since I am making the file optimized to different lighting conditions.
    What GCam Mod application are you using?
    I'm using this:

But if you meant what I use to update the config file, you just need to open Gcam and there is a settings under 'Modules'.
    You need to manually update the config per lens (front, ultrawide, main and periscope).
    I had several variants installed until now, but by far the best and most functional is the last iteration of nikita gcam 8.3. I will try to put the link here. (video in zoom cam still not working)
    Hey all, it's been a while...
    Just an update, I am still using LMC 8.4 Release 11 LITE with the config I'm attaching.

After all this tweaking, I can say that I am satisfied with this phone hardware. In the config I did not tweek enough the telephoto lens - it's still a bit dark and dull, and less detailed,, so if somebody has a good combination for 5x, I's appreciate it. But otherwise, it served me quite well over the year and during traveling.

I tasted later versions from LMC Hasli, but saw no meaningful improvement and some details would need to be tweaked again, so I gave up.

Stock for me is still a no-go - much worse picture quality than gcam.

Lately I was considering moving to Motorola Edge 30 Ultra, seeing how some praised the camera, but coming here and to the Lenovo forum - it got clear pretty fast that they are struggling with the same problems as we did - stock is bull****, ruining the result from great hardware. Just look at those examples of 200MP downscaled to 50 or 12MP - those shots are soooo good! Detailed, pleasant, natural - perfect. But their postprocessing just destroys everything, and as usual - even when presented with clear examples, Motorola support just give generic answers and never improves anything. And again - gcam is an option, but it requires a lot of tweaking and still it is not enough...

So no upgrade for me now! To bad, as I like this phone in other aspects, and without the camera problem, I would gladly buy Motorola again. But I think I will keep looking at other brands.

Happy holidays :)
    In case anyone is need of sample photos. Here's one with the default camera (using Android 13 and latest Play Store updates for the camera) and here's LMC 8.4 R11 Lite with the above linked config.
    The files have been compressed, so I could upload them here.
    Default camera:
    IMG_20230429_215756945.jpg

LMC 8.4 R11 Lite + config (HDR is on, but not the enhanced version, just the normal):
    LMC_20230429_215749_config.jpg