A100 Vanilla ICS Kernel

Search This thread

uminded

Apr 3, 2011
I have built many linux boxes and have done some kernel development on the PC but I am quite new to linux on the embedded platform. I have an A100 and the built in apps that you cant remove are annoying as well as the fact their is no USB host mode even though the controller is capable and ready for it it seems Acer went out the their way to remove it so you where forced to choose the A500 for host mode.

I their any tutorials on how to build your own android distro and get it onto your device? Even if Its not for the A100 it would be a good learning experience to read through.

Are their any reasons their is not a vanilla ICS rom yet? I'm guessing its because Acer has their source locked up and we do not have compatible drivers yet?

Thanks!

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
I have built many linux boxes and have done some kernel development on the PC but I am quite new to linux on the embedded platform. I have an A100 and the built in apps that you cant remove are annoying as well as the fact their is no USB host mode even though the controller is capable and ready for it it seems Acer went out the their way to remove it so you where forced to choose the A500 for host mode.

I their any tutorials on how to build your own android distro and get it onto your device? Even if Its not for the A100 it would be a good learning experience to read through.

Are their any reasons their is not a vanilla ICS rom yet? I'm guessing its because Acer has their source locked up and we do not have compatible drivers yet?

Thanks!

I would suggest reading some of the links in my signature to become more familiar with the tablet itself as well as some more universal information in the Guide, the CM9 building writeup will also help you understand about building a ROM for this (or any) device. Acer released kernel source already, ezterry will be the one to talk to about kernels, as he does build kernels for the Ax00 series of devices, based on Acer source.

I believe what you are asking for is an AOSP ROM, which no, there isn't any. Closest is the CM9 builds, also available in my signature. AOSP (Android Open Source Project) is pure google android, nothing added. CM9 is generally AOSP, but there are changes. The Acer roms, aside from their added apps, is a mostly untouched android as well, it isn't themed or anything like that, just bloated with apps and low on other functionality compared to other company's ROMs.

To remove the apps you dislike, you will need to root the device. Then you can remove whatever you want and gain system r/w. A step further will be to unlock the bootloader and install a custom recovery which will allow access to more tools, and flashing custom ROMs such as CM9, or any of the Acer based ROMs, such as Green and Flex Reaper.

We don't have much development here, however the A500 has a ton of development, and may be worth your visit to gleam information as it is much more active, and your questions may already be answered, or answered more readily then here. Alot of the development we have here are by A500 owners, who don't own the A100 at all. Besides me, but I'm not a developer.

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on the new A100! Make yourself at home and enjoy your time with your device.

Reactions: Romman0 and uminded

uminded

Apr 3, 2011
I would suggest reading some of the links in my signature to become more familiar with the tablet.

Wow your a one stop shop for the A100 world! My tablet is now rooted and I am looking into alternative firmwares but I do not see any with built in USB host yet. This would be a HUGE bonus to add for me as I use the tablet for work and all you can find are crappy micro bluetooth keyboards.

Thanks for the help!

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
Wow your a one stop shop for the A100 world! My tablet is now rooted and I am looking into alternative firmwares but I do not see any with built in USB host yet. This would be a HUGE bonus to add for me as I use the tablet for work and all you can find are crappy micro bluetooth keyboards.

Thanks for the help!

USB host is disabled hardware wise, so it will most likely never be available on the a100. Its available on the tegra2 soc but is likely just not hooked up. If it ever shows up it will be a hardware hack.

Tapatalked from my Galaxy S II - CM10

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks!

I would suggest reading some of the links in my signature to become more familiar with the tablet itself as well as some more universal information in the Guide, the CM9 building writeup will also help you understand about building a ROM for this (or any) device. Acer released kernel source already, ezterry will be the one to talk to about kernels, as he does build kernels for the Ax00 series of devices, based on Acer source.

I believe what you are asking for is an AOSP ROM, which no, there isn't any. Closest is the CM9 builds, also available in my signature. AOSP (Android Open Source Project) is pure google android, nothing added. CM9 is generally AOSP, but there are changes. The Acer roms, aside from their added apps, is a mostly untouched android as well, it isn't themed or anything like that, just bloated with apps and low on other functionality compared to other company's ROMs.

To remove the apps you dislike, you will need to root the device. Then you can remove whatever you want and gain system r/w. A step further will be to unlock the bootloader and install a custom recovery which will allow access to more tools, and flashing custom ROMs such as CM9, or any of the Acer based ROMs, such as Green and Flex Reaper.

We don't have much development here, however the A500 has a ton of development, and may be worth your visit to gleam information as it is much more active, and your questions may already be answered, or answered more readily then here. Alot of the development we have here are by A500 owners, who don't own the A100 at all. Besides me, but I'm not a developer.

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on the new A100! Make yourself at home and enjoy your time with your device.