• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[A510] Can't mount /data on any recovery

Search This thread

huedrant

Jan 20, 2013
Hi,

I wanted to reset my 510 to a fresh 4.4.4 install. So I decided to "restore to factory settings" within the android system settings menu.
kitkat CM12 4.4.4 by shreps was working fine before, I just wanted to get rid of the data in order to give the tablet away.

now I'm stuck with a soft bricked device, it seems:
- when starting the tablet, the CM screen shows, but freezes after a while
- flashing any CM version in CWM 6..0.5 by shreps shows a "error: can't mount /data"
- wipe cache / data shows the same error
- wipe dalvik cache doesn't seem to respond in any way
- I reflashed CWM 6.0.5 using fastboot flash recovery, but to no success..

what options do I have now? can I format and remount the /data partition via ADB? do I need to go to stock?if, so, how?

Thanks for your ideas!

huedrant

Jan 20, 2013
ok, via

fastboot -w -v

i could reformat the data partition somehow.

I still got an
E:unknown volume for path [/sd-ext]
error, but it continued and works for now.

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
ok, via

fastboot -w -v

i could reformat the data partition somehow.

I still got an
E:unknown volume for path [/sd-ext]
error, but it continued and works for now.

Glad you dot it going.

I just pulled my 701 out of retirement (broke my Sony z2 screen trying to change my battery) so taking a look in here.

The data format has always been a bit twitchy, but I run the latest version of TWRP for KK. I remember bricking my original Data partition wiping it because some bozo used the wrong partition info making the original recovery for JB. Exchanged the tab.

I recall the bootloader version had to match what version of the ROM you installed (JB, KK, etc), and maybe the recovery also (can't remember). Latest TWRP for KK seems to work for me as I installed Pac Rom before I retired it. TWRP Ver 2.7.1.0

As with the "Path to ext SD", that's always been there if I recall. Just means you have to install a ROM from internal memory. Although my TWRP seems to mount it fine.

But I will say, feels like I've entered the dark ages again.