• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[A510][KERNEL][2012-11-18] ThrillsKernel V2 & V3

Search This thread

NoThrills

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 14, 2008
ThrillsKernel for the Acer Iconia TAB A510
version 2012-11-18, built from source

Here it is, the first ever non-stock kernel for the Acer Iconia TAB A510, dubbed the "ThrillsKernel"!

What's in this kernel:
  • Comes in two flavors: V2 for ICS ROMs and V3 for JB ROMs
  • Removed 'Samsung EMMC brick' bug: This prevents your internal memory from becoming corrupted.
  • CPU Governors: Interactive, conservative, ondemand, powersave, userspace, performance, SmartassV2 and lulzactive.
  • I/O schedulers: Noop, deadline, CFQ, Simple I/O, V/R and BFQ.
  • Removed Acer mount security: Now you can mount system as r/w.
  • NTFS, CIFS, and MD4 support
  • Tegra3 optimizations
  • Various other performance tweaks

Installation:
  • Step 0:
    Check this thread to see if you can help the community before you let us help you!
  • Step 1:
    If you don't have it already, install my CWM-Based Recovery.
  • Step 2:
    Download the kernel from this post, extract the .RAR files and put the .ZIP file on your internal or external SD Card.
  • Step 3:
    Start Recovery by powering down your device, holding the Volume down (**) button and turning it on again.
  • Step 4:
    Make a Nandroid Backup. I can't stress this enough. Select backup and restore and choose one of the backup options.
  • Step 5:
    Install this ROM by choosing install zip from sdcard and then choose zip from sdcard or choose zip from external sdcard.
  • Step 6:
    Wait for the installation to finish (this takes a few minutes). Spend your time reading the text below these installation instructions!
  • Step 7:
    Select wipe dalvik cache from the advanced menu, thenreboot system now, and enjoy!

Please read the following carefully before installing this kernel:
  • I am not responsible for anything you do to your tablet. Whatever you do, you do it at your own risk!

Which version should I install?
ThrillsKernel2 is built on the 2.6.39 linux kernel and intended for A510 tablets with a ICS ROM installed. That's Android version 4.0.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.0.3 or 4.0.4.
ThrillsKernel3 is built on the 3.1.10 linux kernel and intended for A510 tablets with a JB ROM installed. That's Android version 4.1.0, 4.1.1 or 4.1.2. There is no support for 4.2+ yet.

FAQ:
  • Want to use ThrillsKernel in your own ROM? Go ahead, make my day.
  • Need ***** added to the kernel? Let me know, and I will try!
  • Want to remove the kernel from a NoThrills ROM? Although it's not recommended, it's possible. Check the instructions in the respective ROM thread.
  • Want to give me your first born baby? I'd rather not have that, but if you really want to give me something: Either click the 'Donate to me' button on the left, or simply hit the 'Thanks' button on this post.

Changelog:
The ThrillsKernel has the date as version number, e.g. version 20121118 is November 18th, 2012. You can check the status (or changelog, whatever you will) of the kernel by visiting the commit history of my github page:

Click here for updates to ThrillsKernel2
Click here for updates to ThrillsKernel3

Just check what the date of the ThrillsKernel is, and you can simply look at the dates of the commits to see if it's included in the kernel or not. Example: With the version from November 18th, any commit up untill that date is included in the kernel. With the 20120917 version, every commit up untill September 17th is included in the kernel.

Downloads:
The kernel is not released on its own yet, because I haven't been able to test it on many ROMs. If you want it, install any of my ROMs:
ThrillsKernel is included with these ROMs as of 2012/09/17. Developers, feel free to extract the kernel and use it in your own ROMs.

Last edited:

xamindar

Apr 8, 2012
Is it possible to extend the minimum level brightness ?
When i read on night, it's too high.
maybe this can help http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1644345

or maybe by using an dedicated app but...

I used to use rootdim on my thrive to get it so low I could use the tab as an alarm clock with the screen on and facing me all night.

But trying the same on this a510, the backlight just goes completely off if I try to set it any lower than default. So I wonder if it is a hardware limitation.

It would be nice though. This thing makes my eyes hurt in the morning on the bus to work.

traubm

Dec 19, 2007
Perth
Working A510 CIFS at last!!!

ThrillsKernel for the Acer Iconia TAB A510 version 2012-09-17, built from source

[*]NTFS, CIFS, and MD4 support

The kernel is not released on its own yet, because I haven't been able to test it on many ROMs. If you want it, install any of my ROMs:

I'm currently quote happy with the stock ROM apart from the lack of CIFS so I took the modules from /system/lib/modules [NoThrills A510 WorldWide optimized Stock ROM] and copied them to my stock (but rooted) A510.

CIFS works perfectly!

Thanks!:good:

salisbury_steak

Oct 21, 2010
Manila
www.fb.com
I've tried Smartass v2 and Lulzactive and they seem to eat up more juice.
I then checked System Tuner Pro for my CPU times, and I noticed that my CPU would only go from inactive to 1.3 or 1.4GHz. It doesn't use the values in between.
I then switched to Interactive, and I can see the CPU clocks like 400+ and 600+ used again.

Not sure if it's just me though, but I'm putting it out there for everyone to test. Nevertheless, I love this kernel, I love the optimized A510 that you released as it fixed my screen responsiveness issue entirely. Take that Acer!

NoThrills

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 14, 2008
I've used SetCPU without problems myself. I do however have the purchased version, which is different from the free version that can be found on XDA. That one doesn't seem to be updated anymore.

Reactions: salisbury_steak

farris

Feb 11, 2008
I've posted about my touchscreen problems in some games in the Optimized ROM thread.. but no answers there. The problem is only there when I use the NoThrills kernel... the stock kernel works good. Have you got any idea what the problem can be?

meldrak

Jul 17, 2008
I had the same problem with some games too ... so I came back to stock kernel
another bug I noticed: battery can't charge to 100%, always blocking at 99%

farris

Feb 11, 2008
Aaargh, I hate all this touch problems with this f#@$ tablet. Games only playable with the stock kernel, but a piano app is not usable because it doesn't always detect your fingers. Sometimes it's perfect, you can press up to 10 keys at the same time, and sometimes it doesn't recognize two fingers. So I probably need the custom kernel for this.. but I don't want to flash a different kernel for different apps.

This is really the worst device I've ever bought, I hate this piece of crap. I hope this annoying problem will be solved in some future kernels but untill now there isn't a perfect one out there which solves all the problems. No offence to anyone, I know it's all in your spare time, but it's a rant to Acer. A device of about €450 which is soo bad, that's some really bad engineering!

kiteman44

Jan 13, 2007
Maybe this new file format would be considerated (or not :D) ?

http://www.muktware.com/4485/samsung-creates-new-file-system-f2fs-linux-good-news-android#.UHPclVFKSVh

How to implement

https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/5/205

some benchmark results post by the F2FS author : http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg318439.html

1. iozone in Panda board
- ARM A9
- DRAM : 1GB
- Kernel: Linux 3.3
- Partition: 12GB (64GB Samsung eMMC)
- Tested on 2GB file

seq. read, seq. write, rand. read, rand. write
- ext4: 30.753 | 17.066 | 5.06 | 4.15
- f2fs: 30.71 | 16.906 | 5.073 | 15.204

2. iozone in Galaxy Nexus
- DRAM : 1GB
- Android 4.0.4_r1.2
- Kernel omap 3.0.8
- Partition: /data, 12GB
- Tested on 2GB file

seq. read, seq. write, rand. read, rand. write
- ext4: 29.88 | 12.83 | 11.43 | 0.56
- f2fs: 29.70 | 13.34 | 10.79 | 12.82

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ThrillsKernel for the Acer Iconia TAB A510
    version 2012-11-18, built from source

Here it is, the first ever non-stock kernel for the Acer Iconia TAB A510, dubbed the "ThrillsKernel"!

What's in this kernel:
    • Comes in two flavors: V2 for ICS ROMs and V3 for JB ROMs
    • Removed 'Samsung EMMC brick' bug: This prevents your internal memory from becoming corrupted.
    • CPU Governors: Interactive, conservative, ondemand, powersave, userspace, performance, SmartassV2 and lulzactive.
    • I/O schedulers: Noop, deadline, CFQ, Simple I/O, V/R and BFQ.
    • Removed Acer mount security: Now you can mount system as r/w.
    • NTFS, CIFS, and MD4 support
    • Tegra3 optimizations
    • Various other performance tweaks

Installation:
    • Step 0:
      Check this thread to see if you can help the community before you let us help you!
    • Step 1:
      If you don't have it already, install my CWM-Based Recovery.
    • Step 2:
      Download the kernel from this post, extract the .RAR files and put the .ZIP file on your internal or external SD Card.
    • Step 3:
      Start Recovery by powering down your device, holding the Volume down (**) button and turning it on again.
    • Step 4:
      Make a Nandroid Backup. I can't stress this enough. Select backup and restore and choose one of the backup options.
    • Step 5:
      Install this ROM by choosing install zip from sdcard and then choose zip from sdcard or choose zip from external sdcard.
    • Step 6:
      Wait for the installation to finish (this takes a few minutes). Spend your time reading the text below these installation instructions!
    • Step 7:
      Select wipe dalvik cache from the advanced menu, thenreboot system now, and enjoy!

Please read the following carefully before installing this kernel:
    • I am not responsible for anything you do to your tablet. Whatever you do, you do it at your own risk!

Which version should I install?
    ThrillsKernel2 is built on the 2.6.39 linux kernel and intended for A510 tablets with a ICS ROM installed. That's Android version 4.0.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.0.3 or 4.0.4.
    ThrillsKernel3 is built on the 3.1.10 linux kernel and intended for A510 tablets with a JB ROM installed. That's Android version 4.1.0, 4.1.1 or 4.1.2. There is no support for 4.2+ yet.

FAQ:
    • Want to use ThrillsKernel in your own ROM? Go ahead, make my day.
    • Need ***** added to the kernel? Let me know, and I will try!
    • Want to remove the kernel from a NoThrills ROM? Although it's not recommended, it's possible. Check the instructions in the respective ROM thread.
    • Want to give me your first born baby? I'd rather not have that, but if you really want to give me something: Either click the 'Donate to me' button on the left, or simply hit the 'Thanks' button on this post.

Changelog:
    The ThrillsKernel has the date as version number, e.g. version 20121118 is November 18th, 2012. You can check the status (or changelog, whatever you will) of the kernel by visiting the commit history of my github page:

Click here for updates to ThrillsKernel2
    Click here for updates to ThrillsKernel3

Just check what the date of the ThrillsKernel is, and you can simply look at the dates of the commits to see if it's included in the kernel or not. Example: With the version from November 18th, any commit up untill that date is included in the kernel. With the 20120917 version, every commit up untill September 17th is included in the kernel.

Downloads:
    ThrillsKernel is included with these ROMs as of 2012/09/17. Developers, feel free to extract the kernel and use it in your own ROMs.
    Another question, what's the best app to tweak the CPU governor? Or I guess... what do you use NoThrills?

I'd say NoFrills CPU Control- works fine on ICS/JB
    Other one is SetCPU but last time I used it there were problems on ICS (January/February)
    I've used SetCPU without problems myself. I do however have the purchased version, which is different from the free version that can be found on XDA. That one doesn't seem to be updated anymore.
    Hi NoThrills, will the v3 kernel work with your Optimized A510 ROM?

(Or am I the only one left using that rom? :p)
    Not without replacing initramfs (ICS has slightly different than JB) and modules