[A510][RECOVERY][2012-12-15] CWM-based Recovery 6.0.1.9 (JB compatible)

Search This thread

NoThrills

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 14, 2008
CWM-based recovery 6.0.1.9 for the Acer Iconia TAB A510

Another recovery build? Yes... But I can say this recovery is pretty safe. Having said that, however:

*** I am not responsible for anything that happens to your device ***
There is still a risk in bricking your tablet

I've been testing various different ways to get custom ROMs going on this tablet, for over 6 months now. Developing for this tablet seems kinda dangerous (compared to my private building on HTC devices), and I already had to send my device back to Acer because of a brick once. At this point, I guess this recovery seems pretty safe, and hence I'm willing to release it in public. This recovery is inspired by the CWM-based recovery 6.0.1.1 for the Icona TAB A700 by pawitp. So first of all, I want to say thanks for his work and the talks we had.
  • The recovery itself is built by me so all partitions on the A510 are propely initialized, sized, and mounted: Including access to both internal storage (the 'fake' sdcard) and external MicroSD cards, as well as the flexrom partition. As an additional (see below) precaution, i've supressed 'EMMC wipe' commands in the recovery.
  • The kernel for this recovery has been compiled by me, disabling all the MMC_CAP_ERASE functions to prevent the 'Samsung EMMC brick' from happening. This does not give you a 100% guarantee, but it comes pretty close.
  • As explained in this post, the new CWM recovery does not really format your /data partition. It simply removes all files with the 'rm' command, leaving your 'fake' sdcard intact. The recovery in this post does format your other partitions, but it should show this message: 'warning: wipe_block_device: Wipe via secure discard suppressed due to bug in EMMC firmware'. Don't worry, that's a good thing!

Things to note:
  • I have mounted every partition with this recovery without problems
  • I have formatted/wiped every partition with this recovery without problems
  • I have backed up and restored (nandroid) every partition with this recovery without problems
  • I have installed custom .ZIP files with this recovery without problems
  • I still won't give you any warranties - This recovery can brick your tablet

How to install:
  • Step 0:
    Check this thread to see if you can help the community before you let us help you!
  • Step 1:
    Copy the file attached to this post (remove_recovery_from_rom.zip, (MD5: 73aea1147f571a83caeb8743cd5972b4)) to your tablets internal memory or SD Card. Download the CWM-Based Recovery by NoThrills for A510 tablets and save it somewhere on your computer.
  • Step 2:
    If your device is already bootloader unlocked, skip step 3. Your boot screen (the one with the Acer logo when you turn the device on) should read Bootloader Version x.xx.xx-ICS (Unlock Mode). If your device is not yet unlocked, continue to the next step:
  • Step 3:
    Connect your tablet to your computer via USB. Make sure you have the Android SDK installed, and perform the following command:
    adb reboot-bootloader
    When the tablet reboots to the Acer logo, perform the next command:
    fastboot oem unlock
    Then, quickly press the Volume down (**) button on your tablet, followed by the Volume up (*) button to confirm the unlock. When done:
    fastboot reboot
  • Step 4:
    Connect your tablet to your computer via USB. Make sure you have the Android SDK installed, and perform the following command:
    adb reboot-bootloader
    fastboot flash recovery recovery_nothrills.img
    This assumes you have put the nothrills_recovery.img in the same folder as the ADB utility.
  • Step 5:
    Reboot your tablet with the following command, but you have to keep the Volume down (**) button pressed when the tablet boots:
    fastboot reboot
  • Step 6:
    Install the remove_recovery_from_rom.zip file from the Recovery, then reboot your device.

Your tablet now has this new recovery installed. You can enter the recovery by typing the command adb reboot recovery, or by booting your tablet with the Volume down (**) button pressed.

Downloads:

Anything else?
That's what this thread is for, so post away...

Attachments

• remove_recovery_from_rom.zip
    150.4 KB · Views: 12,275
Last edited:

jessejames44

Dec 9, 2010
Great news just wish I new how to use adb.I have read so many ways on how to use it but can never get it to work.Now we need to get roms built.Is there anyway to get it to work with the Acer toolbox.

Randomwalker

Dec 5, 2011
Great news just wish I new how to use adb.I have read so many ways on how to use it but can never get it to work.Now we need to get roms built.Is there anyway to get it to work with the Acer toolbox.

Make sure to have the required DLLs in the same directory you are executing adb from (or in a specified PATH).

Sent from my A510 using xda app-developers app

Jesse6749

May 1, 2010
T.B.A
Well I flashed this and even though it says the recovery is successfully written, when I reboot into recovery all I get is the android with the red exclamation mark and it never boots into the recovery at all??? weird.

Omnius001

Jan 31, 2012
Notice that the recovery files has been mixed up, but when you download from the mirror link, the nothrills_recovery.img is in it.

Just redo the procedure with the right file, not the factory 1.0.044, and you will be good to go.

On a subsequent note to the dev:
This is ****ing brilliant!

It works, damn it! Thank you for the work, we've been waiting for this **** to come along for a looong time, and even thou you stand on shoulders from work done on the A700, be asured that a lot of us is clappin' our hands now, thanks to you :)

Sincerely Omnius

Sent from my A510 using xda app-developers dope

Jesse6749

May 1, 2010
T.B.A
Notice that the recovery files has been mixed up, but when you download from the mirror link, the nothrills_recovery.img is in it.

Just redo the procedure with the right file, not the factory 1.0.044, and you will be good to go.

It works, damn it! Thank you for the work, we've been waiting for this **** to come along for a looong time, and even thou you stand on shoulders from work done on the A700, be asured that a lot of us is clappin' our hands now, thanks to you :)

Sincerely Omnius

I have tried both of the files from the regular and the mirror sites and it says it completed ok, but I still do not have the custom recovery. I have done this many times on different devices and this is the first time it does not work, I am following the instructions by the letter too. LOL!!!

Last edited:

Jesse6749

May 1, 2010
T.B.A

Sincerely Omnius

Does anyone know if this could be flashed using terminal emulator. Using ADB I get confirmation that it sent and wrote the files ok to the tablet, but I still just get the dead android with the red exclamation when I try booting into recovery, regardless of wheather I use adb or the button holding methods.

jokerzlh

Jun 30, 2012
Zhejiang
Does anyone know if this could be flashed using terminal emulator. Using ADB I get confirmation that it sent and wrote the files ok to the tablet, but I still just get the dead android with the red exclamation when I try booting into recovery, regardless of wheather I use adb or the button holding methods.

Have u checked the MD5? (MD5 for .img: 6ea6e278ebe2e9f093bcdef5ea07a990)
Maybe u should download the file again and make sure the MD5 correct.

Jesse6749

May 1, 2010
T.B.A
Have u checked the MD5? (MD5 for .img: 6ea6e278ebe2e9f093bcdef5ea07a990)
Maybe u should download the file again and make sure the MD5 correct.

I did check the MD5 and it matches the MD5 on the OP and on your post as well, so the file is good. I have re downloaded the file 4 times already too.

Mechkilla

Jul 9, 2012
Did you really reboot directly into recovery after flashing? If you were a little too slow and gave the stock firmware a chance to boot it will first reflash the stock recovery. If you then boot again and go into recovery you will get the fallen droid with exclamation mark.
I had experienced the same problem. After flashing the recovery it will automatically reboot and give you an extremly short time frame to go into recovery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jesse6749

NoThrills

Feb 14, 2008
Did you really reboot directly into recovery after flashing? If you were a little too slow and gave the stock firmware a chance to boot it will first reflash the stock recovery. If you then boot again and go into recovery you will get the fallen droid with exclamation mark.
I had experienced the same problem. After flashing the recovery it will automatically reboot and give you an extremly short time frame to go into recovery.

This is what I'm thinking as well. I should probably edit the instructions on the first post, as I didn't think about the fact that people might not have the recovery_from_boot files removed.

Jesse6749

May 1, 2010
T.B.A

I just followed the instructions and rebooted into ICS then ran the adb reboot recovery command. So you are saying to run the adb reboot recovery command immediately after it finishes flashing. I may just try this later today. I got it to boot into recovery once and then went back to the dead android, then I followed the updated instructions on the op and now it works every time and it boots into the CWM recovery every time.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 xda premium

Last edited:

NoThrills

Feb 14, 2008
I just followed the instructions and rebooted into ICS then ran the adb reboot recovery command. So you are saying to run the adb reboot recovery command immediately after it finishes flashing. I may just try this later today.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 xda premium

I've updated the first post with a 'remove recovery' .ZIP file. Follow the new instructions and you should be set.

farris

Feb 11, 2008
Super cool to see the development for the A510 finally with some results!!!! I love tyo get some custom stuff for our A510's...is there anything I can help you with? If there's something I could do to speed up the custom ROM process, just ask ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CWM-based recovery 6.0.1.9 for the Acer Iconia TAB A510

Another recovery build? Yes... But I can say this recovery is pretty safe. Having said that, however:

*** I am not responsible for anything that happens to your device ***
    There is still a risk in bricking your tablet

I've been testing various different ways to get custom ROMs going on this tablet, for over 6 months now. Developing for this tablet seems kinda dangerous (compared to my private building on HTC devices), and I already had to send my device back to Acer because of a brick once. At this point, I guess this recovery seems pretty safe, and hence I'm willing to release it in public. This recovery is inspired by the CWM-based recovery 6.0.1.1 for the Icona TAB A700 by pawitp. So first of all, I want to say thanks for his work and the talks we had.
    • The recovery itself is built by me so all partitions on the A510 are propely initialized, sized, and mounted: Including access to both internal storage (the 'fake' sdcard) and external MicroSD cards, as well as the flexrom partition. As an additional (see below) precaution, i've supressed 'EMMC wipe' commands in the recovery.
    • The kernel for this recovery has been compiled by me, disabling all the MMC_CAP_ERASE functions to prevent the 'Samsung EMMC brick' from happening. This does not give you a 100% guarantee, but it comes pretty close.
    • As explained in this post, the new CWM recovery does not really format your /data partition. It simply removes all files with the 'rm' command, leaving your 'fake' sdcard intact. The recovery in this post does format your other partitions, but it should show this message: 'warning: wipe_block_device: Wipe via secure discard suppressed due to bug in EMMC firmware'. Don't worry, that's a good thing!

Things to note:
    • I have mounted every partition with this recovery without problems
    • I have formatted/wiped every partition with this recovery without problems
    • I have backed up and restored (nandroid) every partition with this recovery without problems
    • I have installed custom .ZIP files with this recovery without problems
    • I still won't give you any warranties - This recovery can brick your tablet

How to install:
    • Step 0:
      Check this thread to see if you can help the community before you let us help you!
    • Step 1:
      Copy the file attached to this post (remove_recovery_from_rom.zip, (MD5: 73aea1147f571a83caeb8743cd5972b4)) to your tablets internal memory or SD Card. Download the CWM-Based Recovery by NoThrills for A510 tablets and save it somewhere on your computer.
    • Step 2:
      If your device is already bootloader unlocked, skip step 3. Your boot screen (the one with the Acer logo when you turn the device on) should read Bootloader Version x.xx.xx-ICS (Unlock Mode). If your device is not yet unlocked, continue to the next step:
    • Step 3:
      adb reboot-bootloader
      fastboot oem unlock
      Then, quickly press the Volume down (**) button on your tablet, followed by the Volume up (*) button to confirm the unlock. When done:
      fastboot reboot
    • Step 4:
      adb reboot-bootloader
      This assumes you have put the nothrills_recovery.img in the same folder as the ADB utility.
    • Step 5:
      Reboot your tablet with the following command, but you have to keep the Volume down (**) button pressed when the tablet boots:
      fastboot reboot
    • Step 6:
      Install the remove_recovery_from_rom.zip file from the Recovery, then reboot your device.

Your tablet now has this new recovery installed. You can enter the recovery by typing the command adb reboot recovery, or by booting your tablet with the Volume down (**) button pressed.

Downloads:

Anything else?
    That's what this thread is for, so post away...
    Yeah.

Thread title is "[A510][RECOVERY][2012-12-15] CWM-based Recovery 6.0.1.9 (JB compatible)".

Really ? Only diffrence between this devices is 3g modem and sim adapter...

Everything is working now i have full working A511 JB

Short tutorial

• Step 0:
    • Step 1:
    • Step 2:
    • Step 3:
      adb reboot-bootloader
      fastboot oem unlock
      fastboot reboot
    • Step 4:
      adb reboot-bootloader
    • Step 5:
      Reboot your tablet with the following command
      fastboot reboot
      and this method
      press Power and Volume down (**)
      First vibration release Power
      Second vibration release Volume down (**) and press Volume up (*)
      You shoud see on screen "Entering boot menu mode"

VERY IMPORTANT: You can't boot device to android because it replace recovery and if you do that you will have to repeat from step 4
    • Step 6:
    • Step 7:
      Swith of device and boot it to recovery
      press Power and Volume down (**)
      First vibration release Power
      Second vibration release Volume down (**) and press Volume up (*)
      Install the ROOT-A51x.zip
      Install the CWM-SuperSU-v0.99.zip

For me it is working. Proof
    i.imgur.com/0wW85h.jpg
    i.imgur.com/Ala7Bh.jpg
    i.imgur.com/OxBhth.jpg

Thanks to
    NoThrills
    nikagl
    Chainfire

Sorry for my english :(
    New version online, compatible with both ICS and JB bootloaders! :victory:
    Maybe stupid question. Do I have to update recovery for next NoThrills JB stock rom? Now I have the one requested for NoThrills ICS.

And if update is not necessary - why should I update anyway?

No. My next A510 Stock ROM will work on both JB and ICS bootloaders, because I personally don't want to upgrade to the JB bootloader just yet: Acer has not yet given us a full .ZIP to flash a device back to completely stock situation.

If you're currently on a ICS bootloader and are using my Optimized ROM, I would suggest not upgrading to JB yet and hang in there just a liiiiiiiiittle bit longer.
    Sorry, but I got slightly confused with the discussion here. Does this mean that for A500/A510 users, it's better to stick with the 6.0.1.4 recovery as that one is more stable?

For A510 users, there's currently only one safe recovery: 6.0.1.4. This has the 'brick bug' removed from the recovery as well as the recovery kernel. Unfortunately, this recovery does not currently work with JB bootloaders. So anyone who already upgraded to the official JB by Acer is out of luck.

The Russian 6.0.1.5 (which is simply pawitp's recovery with the stock Acer JB kernel) can result in bricking your device when performing wiping functions. It shouldn't, but it can, depending on what update.zip you flash from within CWM.

I will release CWM Recovery 6.0.1.9 in a few days, with a safe kernel, for use with JB bootloaders.

I know Russian people don't mind taking risks (I've seen the YouTube videos ;)), but I do :fingers-crossed:
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone