• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[A51x] Key shortcuts (recovery, bootloader, factory reset)

Search This thread

nikagl

Jun 11, 2006
Nieuwegein, NL
Don't recall seeing this yet on the forum, but here's a list of "keyboard shortcuts" to boot your device into bootloader, factory reset it or boot the recovery.

Recovery:
WARNING: if you have stock recovery and an update.zip in your external sd it will start to flash immediately
Volume- (two dots) and Poweron

Bootloader:
WARNING: this is very similar to factory reset, which will start immediately
Volume- (two dots) and Poweron and then toggle the rotation switch on and off a few times

JB BootLoader:
Boot with Volume- and PowerOn, First vibration => Release PowerOn, Second vibration => Release Vol- and press Vol+

Factory Reset:
WARNING: reset will start immediately
Volume+ (one dot) and Poweron and then toggle the rotation switch on and off a few times

APX Mode (for NVFlash):
WARNING: use APX mode only when you know what you are doing!
Hold Volume- (one dot) and Volume+ (one dot) and press reset button & release volume keys
Screen will stay black and power led will not light up. The only way to check APX mode is enabled is to plug the tablet to the PC and see if the APX device is there.

Regards,

Nika.

Last edited:

paugustin

Dec 10, 2009
Paris
You can add the APX mode :
  • hold vol+ & vol-
  • press [reset] once
  • release volume keys

Screen will stay black and power led will not lit. The only way to check APX mode is enabled is to plug the tablet to the PC and see if the APX device is there.

nikagl

Jun 11, 2006
Nieuwegein, NL
  • hold vol+ & vol-
  • press [reset] once
  • release volume keys

Screen will stay black and power led will not lit. The only way to check APX mode is enabled is to plug the tablet to the PC and see if the APX device is there.

Good one. Added it. Alternatively you can also restore an invalid boot image, and brick your device, or something like that to get into apx automatically ;)

torlala101

Jan 2, 2013
That would be too easy. I have done this in a more
interesting way after corrupting /data by the CM5 wipe and trying to repartition internal mem :

uploadfromtaptalk1357510692419.jpg

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda app-developers
app

torlala101

Jan 2, 2013
Attachment is unreadable, can you upload the original screenshot as attachment?

Pls, excuse me for any inconvenience, I'm not much of a poster here, so the forum didn't allow me to post an external link and the attachment got automatically resized. Going to take super-regulatory measures and override the rules :cool::cowboy::cool:

I soft-bricked the phone with the CWM Recovery 5.0 Wipe, as I mentioned before, after only 3 months of using a rooted device, while trying to get a custom ROM installed to get usb camera driver working, found out that the /data partition has been corrupted by the old CWM ver, read the partition table size somewhere on the net for A510 and tried to repartition the SD to 12GB as it should be, but noticed the 32GB SD/MMC size mark in the output of the parted tool right after I entered the 12800 as the size. Was a little bit shocked, tried to apply some other's tablet partition sizes in the end, and this eventually bricked the device to black screen :)

And yeah, I did pay for the 16GB ver, the receipt said it's 16GB, the box has 32GB print label, the device has been partitioned as 16GB, I took it apart and read the memory label it was 32GB, if I am not mistaken, I assembled it with no issues and then I was able to partition it AS 32GB, as you can see on the screenshot. All I wanted was my device back to life, but out of curiosity couldn't stand trying to get extra 16GB for free. Curiosity killed the cat :)

The device now can get into both: APX with both volume down and reset AND into a 1-2 sec boot up with no vibe or screen light up after a short single power button press which is enough to get detected by a PC and power off immediately!

All my attempts to bring it back to life have failed, there is simply no custom software for it yet! NVFLASH was not able to do anything with it either. Acer support told me they do not have any access to give me a temporary login and password for the Acer Download Tool which would save the world for that day, and the device has my corp data within, so I can't handle it to any repair shop and it's just resting on the shelf as a bunch of antiques :)

Acer, I think this is a bit unfair, so I am putting an EXTRA effort into this...

hxxp://img687.imageshack.us/img687/2507/deadbeef.png

Thanks in advance to whomever will look into the issues with internal memory and perhaps bring a second life to my and such other devices on the planet!

Last edited:

torlala101

Jan 2, 2013
I have to take off my hat in front of the Acer support.

After visiting an office of my local authorized repair center and explaining to them that I cracked the screen in halves, then plugged in a keyboard and killed my tablet with CWM wipe and later manually killed stock file table which finally put the device into a hard-brick state, lost my warranty because I disassembled it and, as a matter of fact, will not be willing to pay the price of a new and a better tablet for the replacement of the screen and the motherboard if they are not be able to recover the software part, I crossed my fingers and took a break.

I gave them a call two weeks after and got and answer that they were awaiting for a spare part, couldn't tell me right away which one. Taken into account that they have already had the screen by the time of my visit, I started worrying if they got me right and sent them an email to make sure if they were waiting for the screen instead of the motherboard and everything is fine with the software part.

Here's their reply:
"The screen has been replaced.
Motherboard has been ordered on warranty, since it is not Your fault.
You will be paying only for the screen replacement, i.e. $200.
As a minus, you will have to wait until we receive the motherboard.
Are you comfortable with this?"

OMG, they have a heart of gold... :good:

sebasx

Dec 22, 2013
How out apx mode acer a510!

Don't recall seeing this yet on the forum, but here's a list of "keyboard shortcuts" to boot your device into bootloader, factory reset it or boot the recovery.

Recovery:
WARNING: if you have stock recovery and an update.zip in your external sd it will start to flash immediately

Bootloader:
Volume- (two dots) and Poweron and then toggle the rotation switch on and off a few times

Factory Reset:
Volume+ (one dot) and Poweron and then toggle the rotation switch on and off a few times

APX Mode (for NVFlash):
Hold Volume- (one dot) and Volume+ (one dot) and press reset button & release volume keys
Screen will stay black and power led will not light up. The only way to check APX mode is enabled is to plug the tablet to the PC and see if the APX device is there.

Regards,

Nika.

How out APX mode acer a510 im stuck here apx! tnx

liljom

Mar 13, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hi.

I just got an A510 with a broken USB port. It didn't charge and the owner even sold the charger. I opened it, connected 2 wires at the battery so I charge it now. My only problem is, that I would like to use Android 4.3/4.4 and I don't know how to do it without an USB port. I tried Framaroot, but no luck.

You mention in the first post, that when one boots into recovery and there's an update.zip on the sdcard, then it installs it. Is it possible to root it this way?

Thanks in advance!

lj

nikagl

Jun 11, 2006
Nieuwegein, NL
Hi.

I just got an A510 with a broken USB port. It didn't charge and the owner even sold the charger. I opened it, connected 2 wires at the battery so I charge it now. My only problem is, that I would like to use Android 4.3/4.4 and I don't know how to do it without an USB port. I tried Framaroot, but no luck.

You mention in the first post, that when one boots into recovery and there's an update.zip on the sdcard, then it installs it. Is it possible to root it this way?

Thanks in advance!

lj

Please read alllllll the other threads in the "A510 Android Development" forum and you will learn how to do that...

Specifically the first threads that popup in that forum:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1866378 for getting a CWM recovery on it which can do that
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2592095 for getting CM11 (KK 4.4) on it

Good luck!

Regards,

Nika.

Reactions: liljom

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Recovery:

Bootloader:

JB BootLoader:
    Boot with Volume- and PowerOn, First vibration => Release PowerOn, Second vibration => Release Vol- and press Vol+

Factory Reset:

APX Mode (for NVFlash):

Regards,

Nika.
    • hold vol+ & vol-
    • press [reset] once
    • release volume keys

The Key Shortcut on first post are working with ICS BootLoader
    In order to enter into Recovery Mode with JB BootLoader you have to :

Boot with Vol- + PowerOn
    First vibration => Release PowerOn
    Second vibration => Release Vol- and press Vol+
    @nikagl if you can update your post, would be great ;)
    Recovery is using [volume-] + power ;-)

Sent from my A701 using xda app-developers app
    Indeed, they are still wrong ;)

vol-/power = recovery
    vol-/power/rotation lock toggle = fastboot
    vol+/power/toggle rotation = hard reset (that one was right :D)