Question A52S 5G (SM-A528B) Magisk Root

Search This thread

Jumpkid

Sep 21, 2008
Amsterdam
Having a long history of root/mods/custom roms, I recently came across the A52S 5G (Q3 2021 version).
An attractive phone, even for those choosing flagships as their daily.

The problem with this phone is bloat (lots of it) and lack of CSC-modability (or basically, freedom to fully admin your phone). And since adb-debloating gives you limited options, it's very tempting to unlock BL and root the phone.

I'm aware that the phone is new, so shared experiences are available only very limited. Therefore this thread.

I've looked trough rooting experiences with the A52 and the S21-series. And I've tried to root the phone the Magisk way. This basically means:
  • 1) Unlock BL trough developer mode, reboot and long press up in DL-mode
  • 2) Reboot, complete setup wizard, connect to the internet (Samsung's safety check)
  • 3) DL Official Firmware (ie. via Frija) and extract the file
  • 4) Transfer the AP .tar file, OR the boot.img, and patch the file with Magisk's canary release
  • 5) Transfer the patched file, and flash the file trough ODIN (AP), without auto reboot checked
I've repeated the steps above a couple of times, but it doesn't matter what I do, something trips off the 'This Phone is not running Samsung's official software' at boot -- and the phone gets stuck in boot loop. The only option then I believe, is to flash the official software back, and start all over again (all data is wiped in the process).

If anyone had any luck rooting this phone, or sees a flaw in my method, please add to this thread. It may be of help to anyone of the community trying to root this phone. Thanks!

Edit: Flashed Indonesian CSC for the features I need the most. Debloated extensively trough adb. Will probably wait for a TWRP release for this model -- may switch if no rooting is available over a long period.

Last edited:

hammeru

Jul 20, 2011
LONGMONT
AT&T HTC One (M8)
LG V30
Having a long history of root/mods/custom roms, I recently came across the A52S 5G (Q3 2021 version).

The problem with this phone is bloat (lots of it) and lack of CSC-modability (or basically, freedom to fully admin your phone). And since adb-debloating gives you limited options, it's very tempting to unlock BL and root the phone.

I'm aware that the phone is new, so shared experiences are available only very limited. Therefore this thread.

I've looked trough rooting experiences with the A52 and the S21-series. And I've tried to root the phone the Magisk way. This basically means:
  • 2) Reboot, complete setup wizard, connect to the internet (Samsung's safety check)
  • 4) Transfer the AP .tar file, OR the boot.img, and patch the file with Magisk's canary release
  • 5) Transfer the patched file, and flash the file trough ODIN (AP), without auto reboot checked
I've repeated the steps above a couple of times, but it doesn't matter what I do, something trips off the 'This Phone is not running Samsung's official software' at boot -- and the phone gets stuck in boot loop. The only option then I believe, is to flash the official software back, and start all over again (all data is wiped in the process).

If anyone had any luck rooting this phone, or sees a flaw in my method, please add to this thread. It may be of help to anyone of the community trying to root this phone. Thanks!
I also bought an A52 5G thinking I could unlock the bootloader and root but found no way to do it. A solution may come, but I just returned the phone for a OnePlus 9 5G (not pro) and I am pretty happy. Had it rooted in a couple hours. It was roughly the same price. I just don't like the "wakeup/on-off restart" button placement, coming from an LG V30 which had it centered on the back of the phone. If not for the 5G, The V30 is still a decent daily driver. Let me know if you find a way.

onken

May 1, 2012
Also buy Samsung A52s and not can rooting, always not starting :( - very bad :/

Windoors

Jan 29, 2018
I also bought an A52 5G thinking I could unlock the bootloader and root but found no way to do it. A solution may come, but I just returned the phone for a OnePlus 9 5G (not pro) and I am pretty happy. Had it rooted in a couple hours. It was roughly the same price. I just don't like the "wakeup/on-off restart" button placement, coming from an LG V30 which had it centered on the back of the phone. If not for the 5G, The V30 is still a decent daily driver. Let me know if you find a way.
That's strange, because looking around this forum, there's no issue with unlocking bootloader for A52, even the A52s.
With A52s though, there seems to be issue with rooting, according to OP. As a result, I'd suggest not unlocking bootloader unless someone who's already unlocked confirms that rooting works. There's no point in unlocking bootloader until then.

specialex

Jun 3, 2010
Behind you
I'm planning to buy this phone, but I heard somewhere that oem unlock option is missing from developer options but I dunno which model
Maybe I'll skip samsung phone

mtfurlan

May 20, 2016
The OEM unlock option didn't show up for me till I both updated *and* had a password.
I'm also having the bootloop issue after patching boot.img or the AP tarball with magisk.

Reactions: Thanhtruong267
Jan 30, 2021

Edit: Flashed Indonesian CSC for the features I need the most. Debloated extensively trough adb. Will probably wait for a TWRP release for this model -- may switch if no rooting is available over a long period.
Tôi cũng đã thử mọi cách nhưng không thành công. hy vọng ai đó có thể giúp đỡ, ít nhất twrp cho A528b

Translated by GT: I also tried everything but no success. hope someone can help, at least twrp for A528b

Last edited by a moderator:

okwhateverok

Sep 21, 2014
Amsterdam
If i would own this device i would look at the steps to get the device rooted on a exiting root method of another phone model of the same manufacturer with nearly the same processor.

That could do the trick especially if there needs to be flashed another zip file to get root like the case is for many android versions on different phones...

revnu

Oct 20, 2010
I found some sites that claim to have working root-methods, but can't verify they are working.

Site1 Site2 Site3

Can anyone please test this out? I want to buy this phone as it is a really good bang for the buck, but I have to know before if my rooted firewall AND my banking-app will work on that :)

Jumpkid

Sep 21, 2008
Amsterdam
I found some sites that claim to have working root-methods, but can't verify they are working.

Site1 Site2 Site3

Can anyone please test this out? I want to buy this phone as it is a really good bang for the buck, but I have to know before if my rooted firewall AND my banking-app will work on that :)

These methods do not work. See the description on those websites and compare them with the first post in this thread.

mr1020

Nov 15, 2021
I have the same problem, is it resolved

رمز تم التحقق منها بواسطة المنتدى

I have the same problem, is it resolved
Please help me root my phone A52S 5G

رمز تم التحقق منها بواسطة المنتدى

Arobase40

Nov 22, 2010

Site1 Site2 Site3

All those websites are lying and cheating as they claim to be able to root the Galaxy A52S 5G and specially those which are talking about a TWRP version for the A52S 5G when in fact it is for the A52 5G... if it ever works !!! ^^

It's not the same SOC and thus not the same kernel...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The question is, why do you want to root this phone? :) You will lose your warranty, 2-3 years automatic updates or have to install these manually.
    A phone without root is not a phone for my use

Oh, it looks like you need to be signed in to GitHub in order to access the artifacts.

No, you don't need to rebuild Magisk. The artifact is essentially a build of Magisk that was automatically built.

Ok, I downloaded the file and installed one of the 3 files, then generated a Magisk_patched file with which I flashed with PC Odin !

Finally WE HAVE ROOT with A528B but experimental and limited one cause we don't have the Magisk Hide function anymore and no Magisk's modules list !!! ^^
    So all Magisk Modules have to be side loaded.

On the other side the camera is working fine and there is no problem with it... ^^

It may work with the A526B model but as I don't own one I can't guaranty it will...

Waiting after you to know if I can create a specific thread to explain all the process and the limitations or if you prefer to do it yourself as you found out the "good Magisk file"...
    But you can use a firewall and adblocker without root, so again: I don't understand why you want to root it. :)

First, firewall and adblocker without root are not reliable as those which needs root and they can themself use your private data... ^^

Then, It's not a matter of black and white, I mean to switch on or off the access to internet to the apps but to restrict some accesses to some permissions which can be done only with modules such as XprivacyLua if you know what it is doing.

Example : an app needs an access to internet but it claims the need to access to your localization, to your name account, to your login ID, to your sms, your contacts, your calendar, your phone journal, or the same permissions as to Google internal apps, etc... even when there is no relevant reason for them to have these permissions...

So, most of the time I give an access to the internet and I block all other permissions (specially with online news) including to some Google apps... Some other times I grant all permissions except the access to the internet to apps which allow a backup of some or all my data and apps to my SD Card...

You can't even trust the permission manager proposed by Google or Samsung as they can revoke at any time all the restrictions you applied to your phone. In fact with Samsung you don't have any control at all with their proprietary apps including with some Google apps !!!

Finally, with your rooted phone you can install very good and free call recording apps such as the one included in Firefds kit module which I absolutely need for my legal procedures against some persons or some companies...
    Link is ok but no option to click on the artifacts file...

But what are we supposed to do with the source code from github ?

Do we have to rebuild the full Magisk file or is there a prebuilt one somewhere ?
    Oh, it looks like you need to be signed in to GitHub in order to access the artifacts.

No, you don't need to rebuild Magisk. The artifact is essentially a build of Magisk that was automatically built.