• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question A52S 5G (SM-A528B) Magisk Root

Search This thread

Jumpkid

Sep 21, 2008
Amsterdam
Having a long history of root/mods/custom roms, I recently came across the A52S 5G (Q3 2021 version).
An attractive phone, even for those choosing flagships as their daily.

The problem with this phone is bloat (lots of it) and lack of CSC-modability (or basically, freedom to fully admin your phone). And since adb-debloating gives you limited options, it's very tempting to unlock BL and root the phone.

I'm aware that the phone is new, so shared experiences are available only very limited. Therefore this thread.

I've looked trough rooting experiences with the A52 and the S21-series. And I've tried to root the phone the Magisk way. This basically means:
  • 1) Unlock BL trough developer mode, reboot and long press up in DL-mode
  • 2) Reboot, complete setup wizard, connect to the internet (Samsung's safety check)
  • 3) DL Official Firmware (ie. via Frija) and extract the file
  • 4) Transfer the AP .tar file, OR the boot.img, and patch the file with Magisk's canary release
  • 5) Transfer the patched file, and flash the file trough ODIN (AP), without auto reboot checked
I've repeated the steps above a couple of times, but it doesn't matter what I do, something trips off the 'This Phone is not running Samsung's official software' at boot -- and the phone gets stuck in boot loop. The only option then I believe, is to flash the official software back, and start all over again (all data is wiped in the process).

If anyone had any luck rooting this phone, or sees a flaw in my method, please add to this thread. It may be of help to anyone of the community trying to root this phone. Thanks!

Edit: Flashed Indonesian CSC for the features I need the most. Debloated extensively trough adb. Will probably wait for a TWRP release for this model -- may switch if no rooting is available over a long period.

Last edited:

hammeru

Jul 20, 2011
LONGMONT
AT&T HTC One (M8)
LG V30
Having a long history of root/mods/custom roms, I recently came across the A52S 5G (Q3 2021 version).

The problem with this phone is bloat (lots of it) and lack of CSC-modability (or basically, freedom to fully admin your phone). And since adb-debloating gives you limited options, it's very tempting to unlock BL and root the phone.

I'm aware that the phone is new, so shared experiences are available only very limited. Therefore this thread.

I've looked trough rooting experiences with the A52 and the S21-series. And I've tried to root the phone the Magisk way. This basically means:
  • 2) Reboot, complete setup wizard, connect to the internet (Samsung's safety check)
  • 4) Transfer the AP .tar file, OR the boot.img, and patch the file with Magisk's canary release
  • 5) Transfer the patched file, and flash the file trough ODIN (AP), without auto reboot checked
I've repeated the steps above a couple of times, but it doesn't matter what I do, something trips off the 'This Phone is not running Samsung's official software' at boot -- and the phone gets stuck in boot loop. The only option then I believe, is to flash the official software back, and start all over again (all data is wiped in the process).

If anyone had any luck rooting this phone, or sees a flaw in my method, please add to this thread. It may be of help to anyone of the community trying to root this phone. Thanks!
I also bought an A52 5G thinking I could unlock the bootloader and root but found no way to do it. A solution may come, but I just returned the phone for a OnePlus 9 5G (not pro) and I am pretty happy. Had it rooted in a couple hours. It was roughly the same price. I just don't like the "wakeup/on-off restart" button placement, coming from an LG V30 which had it centered on the back of the phone. If not for the 5G, The V30 is still a decent daily driver. Let me know if you find a way.

Windoors

Jan 29, 2018
I also bought an A52 5G thinking I could unlock the bootloader and root but found no way to do it. A solution may come, but I just returned the phone for a OnePlus 9 5G (not pro) and I am pretty happy. Had it rooted in a couple hours. It was roughly the same price. I just don't like the "wakeup/on-off restart" button placement, coming from an LG V30 which had it centered on the back of the phone. If not for the 5G, The V30 is still a decent daily driver. Let me know if you find a way.
That's strange, because looking around this forum, there's no issue with unlocking bootloader for A52, even the A52s.
With A52s though, there seems to be issue with rooting, according to OP. As a result, I'd suggest not unlocking bootloader unless someone who's already unlocked confirms that rooting works. There's no point in unlocking bootloader until then.

specialex

Jun 3, 2010
Behind you
I'm planning to buy this phone, but I heard somewhere that oem unlock option is missing from developer options but I dunno which model
Maybe I'll skip samsung phone

Jan 30, 2021

Edit: Flashed Indonesian CSC for the features I need the most. Debloated extensively trough adb. Will probably wait for a TWRP release for this model -- may switch if no rooting is available over a long period.
Tôi cũng đã thử mọi cách nhưng không thành công. hy vọng ai đó có thể giúp đỡ, ít nhất twrp cho A528b

Translated by GT: I also tried everything but no success. hope someone can help, at least twrp for A528b

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

It was roughly the same price.

don't talk nonsense. the 9er costs considerably more.
    Yes, but still not possible ( unlock bootloader and OEM - OK ) susceful rooted :/
    The OEM unlock option didn't show up for me till I both updated *and* had a password.
    I'm also having the bootloop issue after patching boot.img or the AP tarball with magisk.