Question A52S 5G (SM-A528B) Magisk Root

Search This thread

gvamp

Dec 25, 2015
Stuttgart
The main reason to root a phone is to have a better control on your privacy !!!

You can't imagine all your personal data all apps are trying to gather for good or bad reasons when they don't try to steal your banking account or to control totally your phone !!!

One time I had an app which sent paid SMS with another non root phone and that's the reason I now always install Magisk with AFWall+ and XPricacyLua modules, including AdAway...

I thought I could do the same with this A52S 5G model and it's the first time I couldn't root it and I really feel upset and angry about Samsung and I regret my purchase of this phone !
But you can use a firewall and adblocker without root, so again: I don't understand why you want to root it. :)

gvamp

Dec 25, 2015
Stuttgart
First, firewall and adblocker without root are not reliable as those which needs root and they can themself use your private data... ^^

Then, It's not a matter of black and white, I mean to switch on or off the access to internet to the apps but to restrict some accesses to some permissions which can be done only with modules such as XprivacyLua if you know what it is doing.

Example : an app needs an access to internet but it claims the need to access to your localization, to your name account, to your login ID, to your sms, your contacts, your calendar, your phone journal, or the same permissions as to Google internal apps, etc... even when there is no relevant reason for them to have these permissions...

So, most of the time I give an access to the internet and I block all other permissions (specially with online news) including to some Google apps... Some other times I grant all permissions except the access to the internet to apps which allow a backup of some or all my data and apps to my SD Card...

You can't even trust the permission manager proposed by Google or Samsung as they can revoke at any time all the restrictions you applied to your phone. If fact with Samsung you don't have any control at all with their proprietary apps including with some Google apps !!!

Finally, with your rooted phone you can install very good and free call recording apps such as the one included in Firefds kit module which I absolutely need for my legal procedures against some persons or some companies...
I use NetGuard without root from the very same developer. So it's interesting that you think other (maybe OpenSource) software could use your private data and other software with full root access is more reliable and wouldn't do this. I think you are more at risk without monthly security updates, apps with root access on your phone, especially with banking and shopping. But to be honest I am/was also a fan of root access, just asked to get other opinions. Without having root on A52s, I was impressed what is still possible on the phone - including firewall, adblocker (both open source) and adb debloating - without root, atm I'm missing nothing and this device is really amazing.

gvamp

Dec 25, 2015
Stuttgart
If you don't need root access it's fine to me and I won't put the blame on you but please accept the fact that others do need root for any reasons ! Once a phone model is rootable it's much easier to create rooted custom ROM monthly or whenever a new firmware is available and based on the stock firmware.
This is what we have with the Galaxy Note 9 but unfortunately this phone passed quarterly for the security patches and I was able to use Secure Folder and my banking app. I think Google Pay should work but I don't use it.
I also have root with my Galaxy Tab S6 including with older versions of Samsung devices.

That's the reason I don't accept Samsung is blocking root and this Galaxy A52S 5G will be the latest device I buy from Samsung ever and I will resell the one I have now if I can't root it in the next weeks...
Ok, I hope you get happy with an other phone. It's off topic, buf if you can't root the A52s, which secure non Samsung mobile do you want to buy? :)

revnu

Oct 20, 2010
Everyone has to decide....for me the fact that it makes fun is enough to root ma phone, but the real reason is full control to the deepest level, what rooting gives you. BTW: I give a flying f**k to the warranty and root my phones on day one if there is a way ;-P

Reactions: michei69

okwhateverok

Sep 21, 2014
Amsterdam
Root is actually a deal breaker to me, this why the manufacturer of the galaxy a52s isn't selling any devices to me anymore if root thru Magisk has really ended last summer because the creator of the app did start to work for Google...

This is really bad news because if he didn't take the job i bet all the new devices would be rootable like it was possible from the moment root thru Magisk first launched their app.

So bad news not just for this device but for root with Magisk in general.

Obelixer

Sep 20, 2013
The Hague
Motorola Moto G20
Just bought this A52s thing because my note 9 pro is dying premature and thought... don't know what I thought but after 3 days of fighting Samsung I'm returning this. Seems I bought Samsung and got a phone with it.
Stupid Bixby, Knox and store and Pass... and slow failing finger tip scanner onscreen. blocking ear speaker. But nice screen and camera and Ok battery life. next...

kylegp

Nov 27, 2021
I just bought one of these today and it hasn't been shipped out yet. It really was one of the only phones to meet all my requirements and didn't cost over 1K. My Note 9 finally gave up today. However, I really will need root. I hope this thing gets root ability eventually....

gvamp

Dec 25, 2015
Stuttgart
This is THE BIG PROBLEM as I have no idea about which phone to buy as I really love ONE UI and other Samsung functionalities but I can't stand using a phone without root !!!

ATM I'm still using my rooted Galaxy Note 9 which still receive security updates for a while and after that it is an unknown territory... ^^
Before A52s I liked the idea to buy a Nord 2 but I recognized that it hasn't a Snapdragon (AFAIK and I think it also can't be rooted). However with the bunch of A52s sold many times at Black Friday, I hope one of the buyers was a root expert and there is still hope. :)

darold

Dec 16, 2021
Having a long history of root/mods/custom roms, I recently came across the A52S 5G (Q3 2021 version).
An attractive phone, even for those choosing flagships as their daily.

The problem with this phone is bloat (lots of it) and lack of CSC-modability (or basically, freedom to fully admin your phone). And since adb-debloating gives you limited options, it's very tempting to unlock BL and root the phone.

I'm aware that the phone is new, so shared experiences are available only very limited. Therefore this thread.

I've looked trough rooting experiences with the A52 and the S21-series. And I've tried to root the phone the Magisk way. This basically means:
  • 1) Unlock BL trough developer mode, reboot and long press up in DL-mode
  • 2) Reboot, complete setup wizard, connect to the internet (Samsung's safety check)
  • 3) DL Official Firmware (ie. via Frija) and extract the file
  • 4) Transfer the AP .tar file, OR the boot.img, and patch the file with Magisk's canary release
  • 5) Transfer the patched file, and flash the file trough ODIN (AP), without auto reboot checked
I've repeated the steps above a couple of times, but it doesn't matter what I do, something trips off the 'This Phone is not running Samsung's official software' at boot -- and the phone gets stuck in boot loop. The only option then I believe, is to flash the official software back, and start all over again (all data is wiped in the process).

If anyone had any luck rooting this phone, or sees a flaw in my method, please add to this thread. It may be of help to anyone of the community trying to root this phone. Thanks!

Edit: Flashed Indonesian CSC for the features I need the most. Debloated extensively trough adb. Will probably wait for a TWRP release for this model -- may switch if no rooting is available over a long period.
did you find any solution?

Stonos

May 31, 2011
Link is ok but no option to click on the artifacts file...

But what are we supposed to do with the source code from github ?

Do we have to rebuild the full Magisk file or is there a prebuilt one somewhere ?
Oh, it looks like you need to be signed in to GitHub in order to access the artifacts.

No, you don't need to rebuild Magisk. The artifact is essentially a build of Magisk that was automatically built.

Stonos

May 31, 2011
Amazing, thanks for trying it! I'm surprised that even the camera is working!

Waiting after you to know if I can create a specific thread to explain all the process and the limitations or if you prefer to do it yourself as you found out the "good Magisk file"...

Feel free to make your own thread, since I don't have the phone yet to test (no root & no camera when the bootloader is unlocked was what was keeping me from purchasing it, but now that these issues are solved I may have to buy it...)

bobfrantic

Ok, I downloaded the file and installed one of the 3 files, then generated a Magisk_patched file with which I flashed with PC Odin !

Finally WE HAVE ROOT with A528B but experimental and limited one cause we don't have the Magisk Hide function anymore and no Magisk's modules list !!! ^^
So all Magisk Modules have to be side loaded.

On the other side the camera is working fine and there is no problem with it... ^^

It may work with the A526B model but as I don't own one I can't guaranty it will...

Waiting after you to know if I can create a specific thread to explain all the process and the limitations or if you prefer to do it yourself as you found out the "good Magisk file"...
Try with an older bersion of magisk. On my S9+ I used version 22.1 for root and even after updating to 23 i still had magisk hide and modules list... just a suggestion.

bobfrantic

Because you think I did not have the same idea ??? lol

I did it with Magisk v23 but that leads the phone to fall into a bootloop AGAIN after restart ! :ROFLMAO:
I owned myself a Galaxy Note 9, so I know what is possible and what is not...

I did many experimentation during many hours just to be sure what was the best way to install it and with which modules and tools would it work the best, and thus I had to reflash my phone from scratch many times.

But feel free to do it yourself and then I let you the honor to write the Tutorial... ^^
I'll need detailed instructions with links to proper files and how to do it stated clearly so I won't mess up... tis scary thing to do....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The question is, why do you want to root this phone? :) You will lose your warranty, 2-3 years automatic updates or have to install these manually.
    A phone without root is not a phone for my use
    Having a long history of root/mods/custom roms, I recently came across the A52S 5G (Q3 2021 version).
    An attractive phone, even for those choosing flagships as their daily.

The problem with this phone is bloat (lots of it) and lack of CSC-modability (or basically, freedom to fully admin your phone). And since adb-debloating gives you limited options, it's very tempting to unlock BL and root the phone.

I'm aware that the phone is new, so shared experiences are available only very limited. Therefore this thread.

I've looked trough rooting experiences with the A52 and the S21-series. And I've tried to root the phone the Magisk way. This basically means:
    • 1) Unlock BL trough developer mode, reboot and long press up in DL-mode
    • 2) Reboot, complete setup wizard, connect to the internet (Samsung's safety check)
    • 3) DL Official Firmware (ie. via Frija) and extract the file
    • 4) Transfer the AP .tar file, OR the boot.img, and patch the file with Magisk's canary release
    • 5) Transfer the patched file, and flash the file trough ODIN (AP), without auto reboot checked
    I've repeated the steps above a couple of times, but it doesn't matter what I do, something trips off the 'This Phone is not running Samsung's official software' at boot -- and the phone gets stuck in boot loop. The only option then I believe, is to flash the official software back, and start all over again (all data is wiped in the process).

If anyone had any luck rooting this phone, or sees a flaw in my method, please add to this thread. It may be of help to anyone of the community trying to root this phone. Thanks!

Edit: Flashed Indonesian CSC for the features I need the most. Debloated extensively trough adb. Will probably wait for a TWRP release for this model -- may switch if no rooting is available over a long period.
    Link is ok but no option to click on the artifacts file...

But what are we supposed to do with the source code from github ?

Do we have to rebuild the full Magisk file or is there a prebuilt one somewhere ?
    Oh, it looks like you need to be signed in to GitHub in order to access the artifacts.

No, you don't need to rebuild Magisk. The artifact is essentially a build of Magisk that was automatically built.
    Amazing, thanks for trying it! I'm surprised that even the camera is working!

Feel free to make your own thread, since I don't have the phone yet to test (no root & no camera when the bootloader is unlocked was what was keeping me from purchasing it, but now that these issues are solved I may have to buy it...)
    Yes, but still not possible ( unlock bootloader and OEM - OK ) susceful rooted :/