Question A52s randomly rebooting/freezing

Search This thread

Stonos

May 31, 2011
Anyone else getting random reboots/freezes on their A52s?

For me, this is what usually happens: The phone freezes for 2-3 seconds (usually without me doing anything demanding like gaming or using the camera), and then it usually does a full reboot (which goes to the bootloader screen that tells me that my bootloader is unlocked), or a soft reboot (that is just the Android boot screen). After it finishes booting, it's very likely that the same thing will happen again within 1-2 minutes. Afterwards, the phone is fine for 1-2 days until it does the reboot thing again.

Very rarely the phone just freezes without rebooting, and I have to turn it off by holding down all the buttons for a few seconds. I've also seen my phone reboot by itself while it was idle on my desk.

It's a very annoying issue that has caused me to lose a picture I had just taken. It could also cause me to lose an important phone call (since I have to enter my PIN after each reboot).

Anyone else having the same issue? I've found a few posts on Reddit mentioning this, but no one has found a solution, and I haven't seen anyone talk about it here.

gerhard_wa

Dec 6, 2010
I have had this phone since it came out and it has never rebooted on its own or frozen up on me, not even once.

zate27

Apr 8, 2016
Yes I have it too and I didn't find out why, even with logcats. It's happened to my friend too but sometimes it stops for a while and then a month later it starts again.

wwwsam

Nov 27, 2022
Same problem with my A52s.

I think it happens more often when it is warm.
It's almost like a power brown out.

On one of the reboots, there was a "microsd read error" (or something along those lines) so I removed the microsd. So far it has been working great. The microsd is a Samsung 512GB Evo plus (2021) I baught with the phone from samsung store.

I am so far testing the microsd and it seems it is faulty (extremely slow rear/write speeds after it is filled toa certain capacity)

Only time will tell if this is the problem.

Last edited:

Stonos

May 31, 2011
Unfortunately the problem persists even after a factory reset.

However, I have found a way to consistently reproduce this issue by using Google's stressapptest which is basically a CPU + Memory stress test which tests for system stability.

I'm curious to see if this is the case for other people as well (whether or not you're experiencing this issue). If you'd like to try it (at your own risk, I'm not responsible if anything happens to your phone!), I have attached a build of stressapptest I compiled for arm64 devices.

Download, unzip it, and then execute the following:

Code:
adb push stressapptest /data/local/tmp
adb shell chmod +x /data/local/tmp/stressapptest
adb shell /data/local/tmp/stressapptest -M 4000 -W -s 3600

Note: If you have the 6GB RAM variant, then you may want to replace 4000 with 3000 in order to prevent Android's Low Memory Killer Daemon from killing stressapptest.

If you get an error similar to this, then your device (probably) has this issue:

Code:
2022/11/30-16:19:30(EET) Report Error: miscompare : DIMM Unknown : 1 : 27s
2022/11/30-16:19:30(EET) Hardware Error: miscompare on CPU 4(0xFF) at 0x740bd4d840(0x841:DIMM Unknown): read:0x0000000000008000, reread:0x0000000000008000 expected:0x0000000000000000

If your device restarts while stressapptest is running, then it almost certainly has this issue.

Attachments

• stressapptest.zip
    873.1 KB · Views: 13

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Same problem with my A52s.

I think it happens more often when it is warm.
It's almost like a power brown out.

On one of the reboots, there was a "microsd read error" (or something along those lines) so I removed the microsd. So far it has been working great. The microsd is a Samsung 512GB Evo plus (2021) I baught with the phone from samsung store.

I am so far testing the microsd and it seems it is faulty (extremely slow rear/write speeds after it is filled toa certain capacity)

Only time will tell if this is the problem.
Do a low level format of the card then format in the phone. (if that fails it's likely defective) If new simply first format in phone before using.

After which leave it in that device; never "share" it with other devices without formatting it first. It may work or you may end up with a corrupted card. Interface through phone to the PC rather than pulling the card and using a reader. The less you handle it, the better.

A card that has given you problems (if used as described here) is likely to screw up again in the future... be warned. Always use at least a V30 rated name brand card and buy from a trusted source only. Sandisk Extreme's interface and run well. I have both the .5 and 1tb variants. Zero issues with them on my N10+'s.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anyone else getting random reboots/freezes on their A52s?

For me, this is what usually happens: The phone freezes for 2-3 seconds (usually without me doing anything demanding like gaming or using the camera), and then it usually does a full reboot (which goes to the bootloader screen that tells me that my bootloader is unlocked), or a soft reboot (that is just the Android boot screen). After it finishes booting, it's very likely that the same thing will happen again within 1-2 minutes. Afterwards, the phone is fine for 1-2 days until it does the reboot thing again.

Very rarely the phone just freezes without rebooting, and I have to turn it off by holding down all the buttons for a few seconds. I've also seen my phone reboot by itself while it was idle on my desk.

It's a very annoying issue that has caused me to lose a picture I had just taken. It could also cause me to lose an important phone call (since I have to enter my PIN after each reboot).

Anyone else having the same issue? I've found a few posts on Reddit mentioning this, but no one has found a solution, and I haven't seen anyone talk about it here.
    I've never had this issue ever even with the various rom and firmware installations. Did this happen out of the box, after installing something, or just start up out of the blue one day?
    Never, but my bootloader isn't unlocked.