A71 SM-A715F/DS and A-716U questions

Search This thread

sixisixsix

Dec 30, 2019
is the unlocked A-716U rootable using magisk and does anyone think there will be development on it(ie Custom recoveries ? One last question one this specific model; assuming root is possible on unlocked would it be possible to get a carrier locked version (cost saving) and reflash firmware similar to oneplus's MSMtool?

lastly is the A71 SM-A715F/DS root-able with TWRP support?

Thank you

ps
I will also contribute to bounties
everyone is going to say/think "search the forum!!!" but unfortunately the posts available dont list specific model numbers when talking about successful root/custom recovery,.

ShaDisNX255

Apr 3, 2014
Matamoros
Samsung Galaxy A52s 5G
U.S. variants usually can't be unlocked and therefore you can't install custom stuff like magisk patched files.
That used to be the case until recently that a person was offering bootloader unlock as a service to many 2019 and onward devices, as you can see here: https://xdaforums.com/t/sampwnd-usa-model-bl-unlock-info-u-u1-w.4201689/

But, you would have to ask if the A71 is supported. It probably would need to be tested, but the owner of the thread was quite confident that it could be possible.

sixisixsix

Dec 30, 2019
U.S. variants usually can't be unlocked and therefore you can't install custom stuff like magisk patched files.
That used to be the case until recently that a person was offering bootloader unlock as a service to many 2019 and onward devices, as you can see here: https://xdaforums.com/t/sampwnd-usa-model-bl-unlock-info-u-u1-w.4201689/

But, you would have to ask if the A71 is supported. It probably would need to be tested, but the owner of the thread was quite confident that it could be possible.
Oh okay, so there is no MSMtool like with oneplus devices where you can just change to international firmware? If so if there an international 5g version of the a71 (any a-series) with 5G? sorry the model/SKU's for samsung devices is confusing and there is an insane amount of them.

ShaDisNX255

Apr 3, 2014
Matamoros
Samsung Galaxy A52s 5G
Oh okay, so there is no MSMtool like with oneplus devices where you can just change to international firmware? If so if there an international 5g version of the a71 (any a-series) with 5G? sorry the model/SKU's for samsung devices is confusing and there is an insane amount of them.
I'm sort of guessing that's the Odin equivalent of Samsung devices, not sure I've never owned a OnePlus device.

You can use Odin to flash different firmware on the device as long as it's the same SoC. For example, I've flashed Galaxy S9+ Unlocked firmware on my T-Mobile Galaxy S9+. One is variant SM-G965U and the other is SM-G965U1. However on this case, both firmware were US. One was unbranded U.S. firmware and the other was T-mobile branded firmware. I've also flashed Poland firmware on my Mexican A71, they're both model SM-A715F on this case.

I don't know if there's an international variant of the A71 5G. I guess you'll have to look that part up on your own. I think there is though.

sixisixsix

Dec 30, 2019
The MSM tool enable users to take a carrier locked oneplus device and unlock it among other things. can odin unlock bootloaders ?

ShaDisNX255

Apr 3, 2014
Matamoros
Samsung Galaxy A52s 5G
The MSM tool enable users to take a carrier locked oneplus device and unlock it among other things. can odin unlock bootloaders ?
Not really. Odin can only flash firmware, either stock or custom (you use it to flash TWRP and then basically everything else you flash with TWRP).
And no, Odin doesn't do any bootloader unlocking, any unlocking is done with the device itself. But as I mentioned, U.S devices aren't unlockable out the box.

sixisixsix

Dec 30, 2019
Not really. Odin can only flash firmware, either stock or custom (you use it to flash TWRP and then basically everything else you flash with TWRP).
And no, Odin doesn't do any bootloader unlocking, any unlocking is done with the device itself. But as I mentioned, U.S devices aren't unlockable out the box.
when you say "out of the box" do you mean there is NO possible way to unlock them or it takes a process?

ShaDisNX255

Apr 3, 2014
Matamoros
Samsung Galaxy A52s 5G
when you say "out of the box" do you mean there is NO possible way to unlock them or it takes a process?
There is no possible way to do it... for free as of now. If you want to unlock the U.S. variant you have to do it via the paid service I pointed out and thats only IF it works (as I mentioned, its been untested on the A71)

In comparison, you can buy the F variant, turn it on, head to developer settings and select OEM unlock and then unlock the bootloader.

If we ignore the paid service, sampwnd, that I pointed out in my other response then it is impossible to unlock the bootloader of the US variant and therefore, impossible to root.

sixisixsix

Dec 30, 2019
There is no possible way to do it... for free as of now. If you want to unlock the U.S. variant you have to do it via the paid service I pointed out and thats only IF it works (as I mentioned, its been untested on the A71)

In comparison, you can buy the F variant, turn it on, head to developer settings and select OEM unlock and then unlock the bootloader.

If we ignore the paid service, sampwnd, that I pointed out in my other response then it is impossible to unlock the bootloader of the US variant and therefore, impossible to root.
how much does the paid service cost and do you have a link? i didnt see you mention it before. also do you have the aseries discord invite or telegram?

ShaDisNX255

Apr 3, 2014
Matamoros
Samsung Galaxy A52s 5G
how much does the paid service cost and do you have a link? i didnt see you mention it before. also do you have the aseries discord invite or telegram?
I'm not really sure about the cost as I've never used the service myself, but I know the person running the thread is very reliable

Link: https://xdaforums.com/t/sampwnd-usa-model-bl-unlock-info-u-u1-w.4201689/

There are a few A71 groups on Telegram, you can just search with @A71 on there, most groups are public