AAWireless - General discussion and support

Search This thread

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
question to the dev:

are there any plans to boost audio volume via the settings app?
some cars have much lower volume via android auto.
I hope I'm not speaking out of turn, but this device is merely to act as a wireless bridge for AA, not to fix or change any usablity AA may have with someone's phone or car, that is up to Google and your car maker.

If AA comes up in your car wirelessly it's working as intended and doing it's best job. It's just a replacement for the cable, but allows many, many more phones to use wireless AA that would otherwise not be supported.

Your best bet would be to ask your car maker to fix that issue with an update, or perhaps there is one, or perhaps they won't and they are happy with how their head unit works.

Notor1ouS-

Aug 20, 2010
Google Pixel 6
you can even change dpi and other settings. why not audio volume?
i dont have this problem, but i know from some people they have issues and you will never expect any update from the car maker.

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
Maybe they can do it, but it's not the reason you buy this. People suddenly asking to do things their cable can't do seems a bit much. I got what I asked for, a replacement for my cable.

I put AA in the no sleep group and her car connection is seamless. I was a bit worried about her Mitsubishi but it's great out of the box, and of course the issue was not to do with the AAW box.

I caused my own issues with my WiFi setup. The admins have enough issues at the moment sorting out individual issues across phones, as many are not normally wireless compatible. I'm lucky that both our phones do natively support wireless and our headunits are ok with it. So far.

I'll do some more driving today but not sure when the wife will, but hers works in the driveway.

netnerd

Dec 4, 2006
ATT California USA
Are any of you having heat issues as well?
The device actually works great. However, after half an hour, the device hangs up and can no longer be restarted. The case is also relatively warm. Only after a cooling phase of 5 minutes I can use the device again until it becomes too warm again and freezes.

I have contacted emil but I must honestly say that I do not trust his statements.
He claims there are no heat problems. However, I remember a post where he himself talks about putting vents in the case. So the statements do not quite fit together.

So I opened the device and I noticed two things:

i'm still waiting for sh#$@# dhl to delivery mine.
if my unit freeze and overheat, i thinking of opening the case and drill some holes to it.

mc01319

Sep 5, 2010
of course I did that. I'm "glad" that someone with the same head unit is experiencing the same issues.
Probably we have compatibility issue with Nissan Qashqai J11 2019. I had order 2 AA Wireless devices so I tried both of them to ensure that the device is not faulty.
After playing with all the options (USB Mode MTP/Direct, Passthrough, different USB Cables) I have no connection. I want to try a different phone but at the moment I don't have this option.

I excluded the Android Auto from the sleeping apps list and from battery optimization and also enabled the Wireless projection at both developers options and main options at Android Auto.

My phone is Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus (Snapdragon)

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
Probably we have compatibility issue with Nissan Qashqai J11 2019. I had order 2 AA Wireless devices so I tried both of them to ensure that the device is not faulty.
After playing with all the options (USB Mode MTP/Direct, Passthrough, different USB Cables) I have no connection. I want to try a different phone but at the moment I don't have this option.

I excluded the Android Auto from the sleeping apps list and from battery optimization and also enabled the Wireless projection at both developers options and main options at Android Auto.

The phones in our household are Galaxy S20 series, Plus for me and regular for the wife,they both work with the AAW device, we have two as well. The newer Galaxy S phones are designed to work with wireless AA from OEM so it won't be your phone, something to do with your car headunit.

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
We did a little driving in my wife's car (Mitsubishi Triton) and things looked good with the standard settings on AAW but during the trip it froze and rebooted the headunit.

I played around a little and it now seems to be working in Direct mode so she will now start using AA as she never plugged in the cable before.

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
Hearing about overheatign is a concern, as the box doesn't have any vents as standard and is obviously designed to be left inside a car in any environment all over the world, and it gets hot here in Australia, and many other places of course.

No issues yet, but later I will go for the longest drive I normally do around town, 30 mins. Otherwise I could run around all day and residual heat could still be in the unit from the previous trip, but obviously we will all monitor behaviours.

In a few weeks we will drive out of town and see how it behaves on that long trip. If it fails my wife will not be kind on the unit I bought.

Reactions: iTaiwan

isRaZZe

Oct 8, 2008
Are any of you having heat issues as well?
The device actually works great. However, after half an hour, the device hangs up and can no longer be restarted. The case is also relatively warm. Only after a cooling phase of 5 minutes I can use the device again until it becomes too warm again and freezes.

I have contacted emil but I must honestly say that I do not trust his statements.
He claims there are no heat problems. However, I remember a post where he himself talks about putting vents in the case. So the statements do not quite fit together.

So I opened the device and I noticed two things:

1:
The case is too thick at the point of the USB port. This is also the reason for the problems with the disconnections that many report. Without the case, the cable snaps into the USB-C port much better. I think Emil is well aware of that.

2: It simply gets too warm for the chip, which should not happen. Funnily enough, operating the device without a case does nothing to prevent my freezing. But then I hung the device in front of the cold ventilation and look... 3 hours in a row and the device no longer freezes. I have now ordered a small piece of copper and try it times with it as a cooling block.

What I also find quite interesting. The current CPU (rk3308 ) is made in 28nm process. The future CPU (RV1109) is manufactured in 14nm process. Even if you can not conclude in this context, I know from personal experience that the RV1109 produces much less heat.

My very own opinion of the product:
I think it's great. A few teething problems are there, but they still need to be fixed. But I have the feeling that here is not communicated honestly.
It was better for Emil's wallet to sell the product profitably as closed source.

But for the product itself and us as a community it would have been better to make this piece of software available as open source for everyone !
Today I put a small heat sink on the Rockchip and look.... it seems to work.

Something is wrong with the device. I do not exclude that I am a single case but would really like to know if there are others here with overheating problems?
It seems as if by far not all have received their delivery.
pxl_20210327_1515408462jfc.jpg

biglou29

Mar 28, 2021
Just ignore the warning you get that the wlan does not have an internet connection (dont press any button on that warning), make sure wifi+ is activated and you should be fine.. No need to activate that setting, this will always activate mobile data even when you are connected to a different wlan than that from aaw and you would have to manual disable/enable mobile data when leaving/entering your home wlan for example. Working on my P30 Pro without any problems.

Could also be read here:

and here:
I have been having a similar issue with Mate 20 Pro. If I follow the steps in the FAQ (ie: wifi+ enabled, ignore no internet connection warning etc) I can get internet access to work for that instance. However if I turn off the car and turn it back on again, AA connects relatively quickly, Waze is up and running, but apps the require internet access like Spotify don't detect any network signal.

I've also tried playing with the settings in app (I find passthrough mode connects to AA much faster than default setting) but again I can only get internet access to work for the one instance where I go through the fixes detailed in the FAQs. Once I restart the engine it's gone. Mazda CX-3 btw.

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
After testing today it all worked fine as a replacement for my cable. It's bahaving pretty much as with the cable. On the short trip this morning it didn't want to work on the way home, just stuck trying to connect, but that has happened with the cable once in a while, so put that down to normal issues with AA and phones, head units etc.

The unit seems to run cool and worked flawlessly on the 35 or so minute drive there and back. Just got home and I can report another interesting thing, at least with my phone, the S20+.

As reported earlier I control my wifi via Bixby routines to only be on in certain locations, and I also have a routine to provide a hotspot in the car for my son's iPad to use, and the car connects to it too, but that's pretty redundant I think.

Now I was reading earlier that other people do this and it will be handy to reverse the way AAW connects, to use the wifi from the phone so it can do other things.

As reported earlier, I didn't remove my wifi routine and keep my wifi on always, instead I added a new one to turn wifi on when I connect to the cars BT. This worked fine, AA connects really fast when the car turns on, very good.

Today I've realised that my phone hotspot is still working, my son had his wifi like normal in the car.

So my phone's data is running fine and everything is like it is before.

Except for the drain on my phone in these occasion. My phone was getting hammered and was getting warm as a result and the battery was going down. Normally it was connected by the cable and getting charge so I am really more interested than ever to get an elegant wireless charging setup in my car. European versions of my car have this so I will try again to source those.

This won't be an issue day to day, and even on these trips, but if we go interstate I will just plug my phone into a USB and leave it in the console bin so it can go the distance.

So, an amazing result so far. I have wanted wireless AA for years in cars and charging and I bought my car last year knowing I wouldn't get this but I prefer this model over the new one coming so I hung my hopes on a device like this and finding a wireless charging solution.

It's important to remember that AA is not always perfect, and if you had an issue now and then before in your car, then you might get that again from time to time.

Today also while shoing my mother the setup (she has just ordered a new Skoda with native wireless AA and charging) it happened again that I couldn't hear the Google Assistant. I could speak and I know there is answer, but no sound. A restart of the car and it was back. That happens from time to time in my car, not sure about others. I can tell it's going to happen now because there is no noise to show Google is listening.

Sorry for the long post, but I never got a phone to work with the app, and I didn't try to hard as this is the solution I was looking for. Faster and more reliable and smaller. I stuck mine up out of the way in the forward console and I used the very small cable I already had in my car, about 25cm.

The big dream for me from the team this year is to do what they can update wise with AAW, and if they can make it do Apple Carplay they will corner the market. Possibly easier to do than Android, but I don't know.

My daughter starts learnign to drive next year and her car needs a wireless Carplay solution. Prefer to use these guys than someone else.

Reactions: tallleroy

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
One more thing after that monster post.

Does anybody know what we can do about having two cars with two units? It is a bit rare that we drive each others cars, but I noticed in the Config app that there is a box there and you can add another (would be nice to name the box something meaningful to easliy identify which it is) so I can see that at the moment our phones will only work wirelessly in each others car. I do not know how native AAW headunits manage this.

The main thing is that if we are both home and I take her car, her phone will probably connect to the headunit as the primary connection, like normal. If I'm not at home then I can imagine a connection to her box, without her phone around would be good, but if we are both in the car and the opposite person is driving, how to make the drive have control of the headunit. In the bad old days this was easy, plug your phone into the cable.

tallleroy

Nov 20, 2015
Atlanta, Georgia
After testing today it all worked fine as a replacement for my cable. It's bahaving pretty much as with the cable. On the short trip this morning it didn't want to work on the way home, just stuck trying to connect, but that has happened with the cable once in a while, so put that down to normal issues with AA and phones, head units etc.

The unit seems to run cool and worked flawlessly on the 35 or so minute drive there and back. Just got home and I can report another interesting thing, at least with my phone, the S20+.

As reported earlier I control my wifi via Bixby routines to only be on in certain locations, and I also have a routine to provide a hotspot in the car for my son's iPad to use, and the car connects to it too, but that's pretty redundant I think.

Now I was reading earlier that other people do this and it will be handy to reverse the way AAW connects, to use the wifi from the phone so it can do other things.

As reported earlier, I didn't remove my wifi routine and keep my wifi on always, instead I added a new one to turn wifi on when I connect to the cars BT. This worked fine, AA connects really fast when the car turns on, very good.

Today I've realised that my phone hotspot is still working, my son had his wifi like normal in the car.

So my phone's data is running fine and everything is like it is before.

Except for the drain on my phone in these occasion. My phone was getting hammered and was getting warm as a result and the battery was going down. Normally it was connected by the cable and getting charge so I am really more interested than ever to get an elegant wireless charging setup in my car. European versions of my car have this so I will try again to source those.

This won't be an issue day to day, and even on these trips, but if we go interstate I will just plug my phone into a USB and leave it in the console bin so it can go the distance.

So, an amazing result so far. I have wanted wireless AA for years in cars and charging and I bought my car last year knowing I wouldn't get this but I prefer this model over the new one coming so I hung my hopes on a device like this and finding a wireless charging solution.

It's important to remember that AA is not always perfect, and if you had an issue now and then before in your car, then you might get that again from time to time.

Today also while shoing my mother the setup (she has just ordered a new Skoda with native wireless AA and charging) it happened again that I couldn't hear the Google Assistant. I could speak and I know there is answer, but no sound. A restart of the car and it was back. That happens from time to time in my car, not sure about others. I can tell it's going to happen now because there is no noise to show Google is listening.

Sorry for the long post, but I never got a phone to work with the app, and I didn't try to hard as this is the solution I was looking for. Faster and more reliable and smaller. I stuck mine up out of the way in the forward console and I used the very small cable I already had in my car, about 25cm.

The big dream for me from the team this year is to do what they can update wise with AAW, and if they can make it do Apple Carplay they will corner the market. Possibly easier to do than Android, but I don't know.

My daughter starts learnign to drive next year and her car needs a wireless Carplay solution. Prefer to use these guys than someone else.

Thanks for posting this @Genebaby

My Samsung Galaxy S20 FE with Android 11 and One UI 3.1 does keep the hotspot also while connected to AAWireless.

I had tried this before when my phone was still on Android 10 and One UI 2.5 and it did not work. I have not tried since.

LeRoy

tallleroy

Nov 20, 2015
Atlanta, Georgia
One more thing after that monster post.

Does anybody know what we can do about having two cars with two units? It is a bit rare that we drive each others cars, but I noticed in the Config app that there is a box there and you can add another (would be nice to name the box something meaningful to easliy identify which it is) so I can see that at the moment our phones will only work wirelessly in each others car. I do not know how native AAW headunits manage this.

The main thing is that if we are both home and I take her car, her phone will probably connect to the headunit as the primary connection, like normal. If I'm not at home then I can imagine a connection to her box, without her phone around would be good, but if we are both in the car and the opposite person is driving, how to make the drive have control of the headunit. In the bad old days this was easy, plug your phone into the cable.
If your phone is paired with Bluetooth to AAWireless, it will operate properly. So you can connect with multiple AAWireless devices in multiple vehicles with no problem.

In the device, it keeps a list of phone that have connected. For my device it knows about four phones. The device will attempt to pair first with the phone that last connected to the device. If it cannot pair with that phone, it will try the next most recent connection and so forth on down the list.

For the situation with multiple paired phones in the car, it will pair with the phone that last connected, even when that phone does not belong to the driver. There is no mechanism to select the preferred phone order. Maybe later, after they get the outlying vehicles that have problems working well.

LeRoy

DaveR77

Jan 29, 2020
Had mine for 3 days and had nothing but trouble with it. I have a MIB2 HU and a Huawei P30 Pro. All my apps are excluded from battery optimisation.

Issues are:
  • Sometimes the phone WiFi doesn't auto connect, I can live with that
  • 80% of the time, once connected I get a black screen with only the bottom menu bar showing.
  • When it does show the screen properly, clicking Spotify shows the 'spotify is not available' error, yet if the play button is visible in the menu, it will play.
Has anyone else had these issues?

Last edited:

Nudnik_de

Feb 22, 2011
Zurich

Have you ensured you have the latest android auto version installed? That was the root cause for me. Of course no Quashquai...

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
If your phone is paired with Bluetooth to AAWireless, it will operate properly. So you can connect with multiple AAWireless devices in multiple vehicles with no problem.

In the device, it keeps a list of phone that have connected. For my device it knows about four phones. The device will attempt to pair first with the phone that last connected to the device. If it cannot pair with that phone, it will try the next most recent connection and so forth on down the list.

For the situation with multiple paired phones in the car, it will pair with the phone that last connected, even when that phone does not belong to the driver. There is no mechanism to select the preferred phone order. Maybe later, after they get the outlying vehicles that have problems working well.

LeRoy
Thanks for the info. I'll setup each phone on the other car and see what happens. Just one of those things.

My wife actually only drove my car for the first time yesterday but in her car for BT my phone is there as the second device. Annoyingly that unit doesn't let the second phone stream music via BT, only the primary, and I don't change it as I don't drive it much.

Hoping to have a better experience with AAW, now, or in the future.

tallleroy

Nov 20, 2015
Atlanta, Georgia
One more thing about multiple phones on the same device. Any phone that has disabled Bluetooth will be skipped. On most phones Bluetooth is a quick setting from the notification panel. The passenger Bluetooth can be turned on again after the driver connects to keep your fitness band happy.

So if it won't cause too much discord, have your passenger disable Bluetooth in settings while you connect. You will be in control for the rest of the drive. When the passenger is again alone in the car, they will connect.

LeRoy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That sounds good.

While I have your attention, where do I find documentation for the app's multitude of device settings?

Also what color should the device's light be when it is connected and properly working? My device is blue and everything seems OK.
    Blue means working correctly, so you're ok.
    Hey Snirpo,

Thank you very much for the quick response.
    I don't like to have Google Maps as start app.

I tried everything to have another app as start app, but did not find a way to change it.

My last hope is to emulate touch inputs on the head unit.

Can you please give me some support how to emulate touch inputs?

Thank you very much.
    It's not possible right now, we have to implement it. But it's quite some work and it will be pretty wonky with all the screen sizes and stuff.
    Hi all, I have a 2020 Corolla Sedan (USA). This car only supports CarPlay, not Android Android Auto.

We purchased the latest version of AAWireless and enrolled in the beta program to enable AA over CP and it actually loads in the car and looks and works like native AA, which is amazing.

We have 2 problems though which is why I am posting.

1. It takes 1 to 4 "reboots" of the dongle to finally load AA (the light goes through the flashing green and flashing blue before resetting and trying again on its own).

2. Once loaded phone calls through AA are in fast forward and sound like a chipmunk. Occasionally GPS also lags, I'm not using the infinite touch setting.

I've spent hours tweaking the various settings and modes but haven't found a combo that fixes these issues.

Appreciate any guidance!
    AA over CP is still very much beta quality. We'll add these issues to our backlog, but right now AA over CP has low prio.
    @Snirpo and everybody using Fermata DO NOT ENABLE PASSTHROUGH if you want video playback to be available!

As soon as I disabled it the Fermata video playback feature came back again in AA.

Thanks to @fcaronte for letting me know.
    Hello together,
    i received my AAWireless on yesterdays but couldn't get it to work.
    In bluetooth & WiFi mine shows up as AAWireless-593f3477.

I tried several settings & combinations in the app.
    Like USB-Mode, Passthrough, Dongle-mode etc. had nearly anything on/off once.
    I deletet data/cache for AndroidAuto and for the AAWireless app and tried factory resetting my AAWireless.

On my Phone i'm having 2 notifications regarding AndroidAuto:
    1. Connected with your car
    2. Looking for Android Auto (with progress-bar)

My car's HU is a VW Disocver Media, running FW MST2_EU_VW_E0220D, which is the stock one it shipped with as far as i know of.

@Emil Borconi @Snirpo i'd be very thankful for some advice. For a 10-Minute commute having AA working wirelessly would be way more reasonable than plugging/unplugging on these short trips.
    Hi there,

Could you please email us at support@aawireless.io? We can continue troubleshooting there, if that is fine with you as well! Thank you for your cooperation.
    I just did so, hopefully we can sort out the issues.
    Is there a manual for all the settings/advanced settings?
    I don't know what they all do...

Another question I have a mercedes with mbux ntg6. I want to start android auto manually when I click it, not when I press the radio/media button for the car interface. Any ideas how I change it?
    Two different option. I assume, due the fact, that I only have an NTG5.5 in use, that there is somewere in the menu a selection point, to mark, if it should start automaticly or not. You find find the digital userguide here: https://www.mercedes-benz.de/passengercars/services/manuals.html

Secound posibitity is to use the settings in AA launcher so start, or use the default from the car.
    Looks like this:
    This thread is dedicated for AAWireless users.

AAWireless is a device which allows you to transform your existing wired Android Auto compatible unit into a Wireless Android Auto unit.

General chat, experience sharing and community support should be expected as well as support from the developers of the product: @Snirpo and myself.
    I used to get the same thing. I believe it is an issue with AA/Google rather than AAW. In any event, I have had to give up on AAW as I can't connect to it/won't update, just sits there with a constant light-blue light. It is a (very expensive) paper weight on my desk now. It is just "too Beta" for my requirements.

I have now got a Carlink 2022 Android box which works flawlessly for me.
    MG ZS EV 2022
    Galaxy S21 Ultra (not rooted)
    I know I should ignore these posts, but these are the comments why I'm honestly considering completely dropping out any forum / reddit / social media. What's the point? We have support, we have warranty, we have a refund policy. It might be "beta" for you, but we shipped over 100k devices and believe me or not, for most, it just works. It's the same thing for all of these dongles. They will not work perfectly for all, there are just too many variables.
    I just want to leave a big THANK YOU for the developers! You invented a great product and do a great job here.

Anyone who has ordered the product knows that it is a crowdfunding project, which may also have teething problems. I find it cheeky to get upset about problems, even though they are dealt with promptly here. What more should the distributors do than react to the problems here and offer solutions?

I also have problems with the device, but I was helped quickly. Even if it takes a few days.

Dear team: Keep up the good work!
    Very close to release of 2.1.0 now. We fixed the UConnect issue, except for some cases where you still have to re-plug the device, but this is also the case on the MA1.
    We fixed the "VW Headunit crashing on skipping tracks" issue now completely. Confirmed it's a bug on the HU side, latency makes it worse. We will probably push a new firmware by the end of this week.
    I will also submit a bug report to Google, cause they can fix/workaround this issue as well for cabled users.