AAWireless - General discussion and support

Search This thread
May 15, 2022
I've seen several people asking for help downgrading to 1.8 but not send anyone provide instructions. I'm also interested in this. I'm going on a 12 hour round trip road trip next week and would like to know how to do this in case 2.0.1 starts to crash on me. Can someone please provide instructions?

DeanGibson

Apr 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
I've seen several people asking for help downgrading to 1.8 but not send anyone provide instructions.

I'm going to respond to this in a general way, for people needing assistance.

First, I do not work for AAWireless, & what I state on this forum is based on my own experience as a user, which may be flawed.

Second, while this forum was started by the founder of "cpeb", the companion website https://cpeb.it does have a support channel there, where questions are answered by support personnel (at least they answered mine). So, if your question is not answered here, go there (I actually went there first).

Third, a lot of questions are answered by scanning the last 100 messages on this forum, & of course you can use the forum search facility. There's a lot of good stuff in the older messages!

Now to your specific question: As I understand it, in the AAW Android app, when you press "System Update", your serial number is looked up in a special database, to see if you need a "special" version of the firmware. If you are NOT in that database, you get the standard, released version of the firmware.

If you ARE in that database, you get whatever special firmware you have requested. That may be a new unreleased version, or an older version, or a special version to test a specific problem.

How do you get into that special database? You ask, providing your serial number. You can ask here, or on the https://cped.it website. If you ask here, there may be a delay in having your request fulfilled. Then, you press "System Update" in the app, while connected to your device via Bluetooth. Note that I am not responsible for this process in any way.

Note also that doing a reset on your device resets the serial number, so once you ask for a special firmware version, don't reset your device.

Last edited:

hocuspocus69

Nov 26, 2014
hello after upgrade to firmware 2.0.0 no more sound or microphone on phone call..
miui 12....thanx
EDIT
After upgrade firmware 2.0.1 everything is back...no more issue apart the unresolvable on miui wifi and mobile connection together!
Xiaomi mi mix 2s miui 12.0.3 suzuki swift 2019

Last edited:
May 14, 2022
Hello,
Today i had the oportunity of doing 2 long drives (120km´s each), i put AAWireless on the test.
Im glad to say that it worked perfectly!

Using the 5ghz band the system is faster and more responsive.

I got no crashes and everything worked well (phone, powerAmp and Waze).
The phone did use some battery, 20% on all the travels (going and then coming back).

I used all the default options on the AAWireless APP.

I just enabled on Andoid Auto the developer options, and then the wireless projection on the app.

thanks again for creating this device.

With my very best regards,

LPC

sidofido

May 4, 2012
I finally figured out what caused my disconnections lately. It was a cable... Two months ago I replaced it with a shorter one and it was a mistake all the time. I had some random disconnections during the drive and I tried every possible configuration, but nothing helped. It never occurred to me that it could be a cable, because the dongle connected without problems and it always disconnected while driving. I replaced the cable with the old one and everything now works without freezing. Looks like the old cable was losing data or something after a while.

sidofido

May 4, 2012
I finally figured out what caused my disconnections lately. It was a cable... Two months ago I replaced it with a shorter one and it was a mistake all the time. I had some random disconnections during the drive and I tried every possible configuration, but nothing helped. It never occurred to me that it could be a cable, because the dongle connected without problems and it always disconnected while driving. I replaced the cable with the previous one and everything now works without freezing. Looks like the cable was losing data or something after a while.

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
Cables can be dodgy for sure, ok to start, but not ok when driving around with the car bumping on the road. I would suspect that disconnections are caused by this. The best thing to do is secure the AAW somewhere out of the way where you won't be bumping the cable, or if you go near that area, being really careful. If your AAW is freeballing in your car, it's a recipe for disconnections.

Mine is stuck to the roof of my console cubby and when I put my phone nearby to charge I am careful. Once I'm connected I don't get disconnected due to the road surface. Once my issue for not having AA projection was the cable had come out, so this is a thing.

Foiling the inside stopped the music dropouts, and securing the device guards against disconnects while driving. If you're getting a lot of disconnects and you don't think it's related to the cable and it happens pretty soon after driving, see how long it will stay connected if you don't move anywhere. Try and lock down the issue.

I remember replacing all those USB cables when I was running wired, before AAW, due to the phone moving around and the strain on the connection. A new cable solved it every time, until that cable became unstable. Better the USB cable than my phones port.

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
Testing the other day in my Golf when I went to 2.01 showed that I wasn't getting AA projection automatically still.

I reset my AA all through my phone to start using 2.0, which means redoing my shortcuts, background, app arrangement etc, but it doesn't seem to have worked.

I have no trouble with launching AA with the Ottocast in the Polo. Apart from not being able to do Stop/Start stuff for the cars that power the USB before and after the engine is on, it's otherwise pretty reliable and has gotten better with a few FW updates. The Assistant sounds were janky to begin with but are now fine. A newer FW messed up things like dark mode not working with the lights on and sometimes you would get a black screen until you went to another screen and back to AA. I downgraded the FW back to the one that was working good before, I'll keep it handy as I try new ones.

So I had to re-connect to the Ottocast and it's been fine again since but with AAW I am still having to go into the APP, changing the connection method, and upon saving and rebooting it will launch nicely. But not the next time I go into the car, which was four times today. It so far hasn't mattered which connection I try, default, direct, or MTP all work if I change to them but not upon the next try.

The previous time I disabled Dongle Mode but it still wouldn't connect until I changed the connection. When I do drive this car it's nice to have AA so I'm doing this every time but it would be nice if I didn't have to.

Also, recently, probably after 2.0, I get this notification on my phone after using AAW. I have to press the stop button to stop it doing what it's trying to do. Does anyone else get this?

PjqTWnw.jpg

donn2

Feb 26, 2011
hello after upgrade to firmware 2.0.0 no more sound or microphone on phone call..
miui 10....thanx
I also have (or had) this issue (Samsung Galaxy S20 5G with Android 12). As a workaround I had to press the mute button on the car system two times after accepting a call and then it works correctly for the duration of the call. Also I have had various other sound issues (no sound/no microphone).
I have upgraded to 2.0.1 yesterday, I have yet to try making a phone call but the other sound issues didn't occur again yet.

1enry1

Oct 21, 2015
For the app permissions, long press on the app shortcut and click info. Then go to permissions. Can you post a screenshot of this permissions request your seeing?

I can't post anything ... because it is a voice assistant who tells me that before calling a contact in the address book to give authorization in my car, but where ???

I contacted assistance of my car and they say that there is no authorization in the car!

So why don't you call me vocal assistant to the contacts and asks first authorization in the machine? Another Android Auto ....bug?

Help me

1enry1

Oct 21, 2015
Testing the other day in my Golf when I went to 2.01 showed that I wasn't getting AA projection automatically still.

I reset my AA all through my phone to start using 2.0, which means redoing my shortcuts, background, app arrangement etc, but it doesn't seem to have worked.

I have no trouble with launching AA with the Ottocast in the Polo. Apart from not being able to do Stop/Start stuff for the cars that power the USB before and after the engine is on, it's otherwise pretty reliable and has gotten better with a few FW updates. The Assistant sounds were janky to begin with but are now fine. A newer FW messed up things like dark mode not working with the lights on and sometimes you would get a black screen until you went to another screen and back to AA. I downgraded the FW back to the one that was working good before, I'll keep it handy as I try new ones.

So I had to re-connect to the Ottocast and it's been fine again since but with AAW I am still having to go into the APP, changing the connection method, and upon saving and rebooting it will launch nicely. But not the next time I go into the car, which was four times today. It so far hasn't mattered which connection I try, default, direct, or MTP all work if I change to them but not upon the next try.

The previous time I disabled Dongle Mode but it still wouldn't connect until I changed the connection. When I do drive this car it's nice to have AA so I'm doing this every time but it would be nice if I didn't have to.

Also, recently, probably after 2.0, I get this notification on my phone after using AAW. I have to press the stop button to stop it doing what it's trying to do. Does anyone else get this?

PjqTWnw.jpg

you have a GOLF 8 VW ? when you tell to the google assistent to call a number in the

address book ... your call the numer that you say ? in my .... NONE !

Tony7533

May 21, 2022
Hi guys. I can't solve the last problem. After a phone call, the sound can no longer be played by the device. Reboot required.
AAWireless ver. 2.0, Audi A6 C7, OnePlus 7Pro

Omerhebi

May 21, 2022
Hello ,

I got my AA wireless a week ago and everything was working well connection was perfect, playing Spotify and Google maps with no problem and receive and making phone calls was perfect and then suddenly just the other day when I get a phone call or make one , android auto disconnects and the phone call is made from the cars Bluetooth and when I end the phone call android auto reconnects! I have an MG HS and Xiaomi 11 lite phone can someone help me !

Roy47

Oct 4, 2019
Hi having problems with my phone connections. Incoming calls show up but when answering I get no sound also when making a call the call connects but again no sound

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
you have a GOLF 8 VW ? when you tell to the google assistent to call a number in the

address book ... your call the numer that you say ? in my .... NONE !
I have a 7.5 GTI. MIB 2.5 high, S22 Ultra. I ask Google mostly to call people in my family I have set up, like wife and daughter, mother etc.

I never use the car system underneath, they are always clunky.

If you are wired AA you can do what you want?

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
I drove the Golf this morning to test using passthrough but the same, no projection until I change a setting and it reboots to save.

It seems it doesn't matter too much what I change as long as I do. So I'm connecting easily to AAW but it doesn't project.

Any ideas, it was working before. Does everyone else get that AAW app notification as well?

Roy47

Oct 4, 2019
Hi could you please roll me back to version 1.8 hopefully this will restore my phone functionality
AAWireless-nprggLr2

Thanks Roy

cristi_b

Dec 3, 2021
@Genebaby I also have Golf 7.5 and S10e and the provided cable. Now I'm on 2.0.1firmware and in my opinion it's the best firmware so far. Everything works as expected.

Last edited:

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007

PjqTWnw.jpg
This notification is from the start/stop mechanism, which means the companion app is in control of starting up AA. I'd disable it if you don't need it.

In fact, in 2.1.0 we are dropping the app controlled start / stop mechanism and are moving to a device controlled mechanism. Start / stop has been horrible since the beginning, too many variables (phones) to make it work correctly.

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
Any ideas why my setup won't project without intervention? So 2.01 is not the 2.1 that was mentioned before?

Any idea when 2.1 is out?

Top Liked Posts

Hello @Snirpo

Usually I don't use AAWireless for short distances so I let my phone connected to it without using AA (blue blinking led) but when i enable Passthrough mode, the dongle reboot itself after a few seconds if I do not use AA (red led - green blinking led - blue blinking led cycle). Is this the expected behaviour in Passthrough mode ?

Thank you :)
    Yup, that's because in non-passthrough mode we keep the wireless connection alive by pinging to the phone, even when the HU side is not connected.
    In passthrough we cannot do this, so the phone side will disconnect after a 10 second timeout, this will restart the whole process.
    Some of its features might hack into AA.
    but the features I mentioned are made by changing values in the AA database SQL file. As I'm no coder I have no clue if this can be done via protocol. At least it also have Features you have too. Maybe if you have some time down the road you could have a look.

Of course it's not urgent. I'm pretty happy with AAWireless how it is today 😙

//EDIT:
    On my OnePlus 9 Pro with Android 12 I can't set battery optimization for Android Auto anymore. It's not visible there anymore.
    Yeah that should be normal, since AA is a system app these days. But apparently Samsung does not agree with that.
    Use the VR, or Talk button to make calls. End them with the phone button.

Disabled passthrough mode and went for a test drive. Seems I don't need it on any more. So now I'm down to default USB and dongle mode enabled.
    Thanks for the suggestion rayboehm, but sometimes the Voice Commands don't work very well and it is quite frustrating. Also, I do generally prefer the buttons wherever feasible.

s-l400~2.jpg

This one? That's how I make all phone calls.
    Thanks but I did reply to that idea earlier:

"Thanks for the suggestion rayboehm, but sometimes the Voice Commands don't work very well and it is quite frustrating. Also, I do generally prefer the buttons wherever feasible."

If it can't be done with the buttons then the voice command will have to do, but I would still rather use the buttons if it is possible.
    Fair enough. If Voice Command is having problems, maybe retrain your voice model on the phone. Might make it work better, can't hurt. Good luck.
    I got bored today, so I thought I make a mock up how the AAWireless app could look like :D When swiping t he car picture could change if you want to connect to annother device/car :D

View attachment 5645393 View attachment 5645397
    Haha nice! I'll pass it on to our UI/UX designer :) We have some UX changes in the pipeline, but it doesn't have the highest prio right now as you can imagine.
    We made some changes in firmware 2.1.0 which means we don't need these dreaded USB modes anymore. The plan is to ship devices in passthrough + dongle mode, to make it work natively, like the MA1, by default.
    Then we are going to hide away the settings in a sort of advanced settings menu, because all these settings are nice, but people don't read/understand what they do, stuff stops working and then our support has to handle it. Hardly anyone uses these settings, for example, dpi change, the most used feature, is only used on 1 percent of all devices.
    Bassicly we are KISS'ing it, but still keep advanced settings for well... You guys :)
    @everyone

For feature requests or issues, please use: https://github.com/cpebit/aawireless-issues/issues/new/choose

I getting really hard to follow this thread. Possibly I already forgot some requests of some people. Need a bit of structure. We will try to fix issues one by one from GitHub.
    Regarding the broken day / nightmode cycle:

I also have this problem, and I read a few days ago that it was due to a combination of updated Google Maps and Android Auto.

The combination which should work:

Android Auto: 7.5.621344
    Google Maps: 11.31.1

You finde all these old versions on apkmirror.com, or similar sites.

Didn't have the time to check this out myself.

I had this same problem. Found out it woud be caused to 11.31.1 and upwards. Found the solution on Google Maps Help.

I installed Maps 11.35.0 beta (from apk mirror) and all seems to work well again. My AA is level 7.7.622134 (from play store).​

Tried a lot of different variations, but my conclusion is that Maps from 11.33.1 is the culprit.
    I've been happily using AAwirelsss in my Kia Stinger, but I do have a few notes on my specific installation that others might find helpful.

Instead of using the built in start / stop detection, I made a Y cable that hooks up the USB data lines and ground to my head unit, but power is pulled from a cigarette lighter USB adapter. I don't know if this is safe on all cars, but it worked on mine.

I have quite a few devices in my car I need to share internet with, and I do not want to buy an extra hotspot., so I had to make a few tweaks on my phone to make my phone's hot spot play nice with AAwireless. In the past I simply had a macrodroid script set up so that when my bluetooth connects to the car, it started my phone's hot spot.

Unfortunately, the limited wifi connection to AAwireless seems to confuse my phone's hotspot, and it won't share any internet once connected to AAwireless.

I found the trick was to to have Macrodroid enable my hotspot, then disable wifi, forcing the hot spot to share my cellular data connection, then reenable wifi, and script connecting to AAwireless manually.

The AAwireless password is the SHA-1 of the device name in upper case.

Note: AAwireless does currently support connecting through a hot spot, but only a hot spot that isn't also your AAwireless phone. Support for connecting via your phone's built in hot spot is eventually coming, but for now the method I use above has worked well for me.
    Sounds very complex :) I'll build this feature into the next version of the app, possibly this week. Care to test?
    That is normal when using the dev version of the app. Dev version will always let you reflash actual version if there's no newer one.
    Yes, it's normal, but I'll remove it, because I get a comment about it almost every day :)
    This thread is dedicated for AAWireless users.

AAWireless is a device which allows you to transform your existing wired Android Auto compatible unit into a Wireless Android Auto unit.

General chat, experience sharing and community support should be expected as well as support from the developers of the product: @Snirpo and myself.
    I just want to leave a big THANK YOU for the developers! You invented a great product and do a great job here.

Anyone who has ordered the product knows that it is a crowdfunding project, which may also have teething problems. I find it cheeky to get upset about problems, even though they are dealt with promptly here. What more should the distributors do than react to the problems here and offer solutions?

I also have problems with the device, but I was helped quickly. Even if it takes a few days.

Dear team: Keep up the good work!
    We fixed the "VW Headunit crashing on skipping tracks" issue now completely. Confirmed it's a bug on the HU side, latency makes it worse. We will probably push a new firmware by the end of this week.
    I will also submit a bug report to Google, cause they can fix/workaround this issue as well for cabled users.
    Hello. What's new in 1.5?
    A full changelog for each release would really be appreciated :)
    Thanks for all the hard work!
    Yes, I'll write a full changelog next week from 1.0.0 to 1.5.0 and put it on GitHub + add a link in the app.
    I've already waited patiently for delivery 3 months more than expected - I ordered In April and was coming in June but now that's looking like October. Now I read on the indiegogo forum that people in the UK are being charged an additional €27 by the Royal mail as the UK is now not in the EU.

Hi Emil!
    Just received my AAWireless, and will plug in and test tonight. Love the packaging, looks great! However… Since it was shipped from Hong Kong I was forced to pay a rather substantial import fee and duties on this bad boy. I was under the impression that they would be shipped from within the EU? Is it stands now I’m EUR 27,00 poorer :(
    2 2
    https://www.indiegogo.com/individuals/24534862
    Emil Borconi-Szedressy 2 days ago
    PROJECT OWNER
    Looks like you are in the UK which is outside EU and also there is no way to pre-pay taxes with shipping company any more either....

This is a crazy. An additional $10 was already taken for delivery and it was meant to ship from the EU. I suspect the units have been shipped by Royal Mail / Dutch post. The Royal Mail rips off people in the UK because they add another £11 in admin fees on top of the 20% VAT even though goods up to £135 should be exempt.
    See https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...s-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021

So not only has VAT been charged coming into the EU from China, it has also been charged coming into the UK ON TOP of the VAT already paid in the EU.

This is just rubbish. What the guys need to do is either ship it from Hong Kong which can cost £0.20 (there are hundreds of chinese ebay and aliexpress sellers doing this already
    See http://www.vatfraud.org/blog/stop-s...ons-universal-postal-union-upu-terminal-dues/
    The $10 postage already taken should then be refunded.

The other way round it is send the item from Hong Kong and to mark the item as a gift and providing it is below £39 there is NO VAT to pay and NO Royal mail admin fee. Actually as the original product was $57 - roughly £41.25 This wouldn't be a crime seeing as we have had to wait soo long. This could also mean the $10 delivery could be refunded

The other way is to ship it via fedex and state the ex-vat cost coming from china and then add 20% vat that the developer should be paying to the UK HMRC.

Sadly if that doesn't take place, EVERYONE IN THE UK will feel ripped off because of the poor delivery and poor choices made by the developers.

Cheers
    Disgruntled in the UK

First of all, your item wasn't shipped yet since in the June batch, so you could have not payed anything for shipping. Secondly, UK is outside the EU, there was a vote about this in 2016, so it doesn't matter if the package comes from EU or from HK or from US, it is treated the same, it's an import. If we import it from HK to EU, we will pay import VAT on the product, then when we send it to UK, we claim back that VAT and we should pay VAT in UK, since there is no more free trading between EU and UK.

Up till recently there was a nice option, to pay VAT and Import duty up-front, when you ship to the UK, but this has been changed and now they requires business outside UK to register with HMRC and do HMRC feeling even if they are residing outside UK, a lot of red tape. Since crowdfunding is not a sale, we can still ship the units to UK, but not sure if we will be able to after the IndieGoGo campaign.

We are also a EU registered company so we cannot (and will not take advantage) of any loop-holes in systems to sell at ridiculously / unrealistically cheap prices.

About the user who paid 27 euros, it turned out that user is living in DK, but provided the address as UK so his package traveled the wrong way, hence the extra duties and surcharges.

Not aware of other users from UK having to pay anything additional when they received the package.