AAWireless - General discussion and support

Search This thread

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
Ahh, so my start/stop is misbehaving?

I kind of thought it would do a quick disconnect when BT to the car died, despite there being power to the USB port for a bit after in some cars.

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
Ahh, so my start/stop is misbehaving?

I kind of thought it would do a quick disconnect when BT to the car died, despite there being power to the USB port for a bit after in some cars.
It should normally indeed. Bassiccly every change we do in the start / stop mechanism it breaks for half of the people and fixes stuff for the other half.
We have a way now to make it device controlled, so we can finally get rid of this horrible functionality.

Paetsch

May 22, 2022
Hi,

I got a new Car (Toyota Corolla) and an Aawireless and I set it up yesterday.
My mobile phone is a Samsung galaxy S10 with Android 12.

Everything worked fine at the beginning, but after driving 5-15 Minutes, the box will lose the connection with the head unit and the LED starts to blink blue. And it won't regain the connection until I restart the car and the MMI.

I already tried a reset and two different usb cables and tried some of the usb modes.

Is it a known problem and what else can I do. As I said, it will get a connection at first but will lose it after a few minutes of driving and won't regain a connection even after trying another usb mode.

Thanks for an advice

osm0sis

Senior Recognized Developer / Contributor
Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Google Nexus 4
It should normally indeed. Bassiccly every change we do in the start / stop mechanism it breaks for half of the people and fixes stuff for the other half.
We have a way now to make it device controlled, so we can finally get rid of this horrible functionality.
Will the new Start/Stop be compatible with Dongle mode? I find Dongle mode good on its own for Start, but bad for Stop where my Hyundai Elantra 2018 keeps the USB powered ~2 min after turning off the engine and locking the car.

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
Will the new Start/Stop be compatible with Dongle mode? I find Dongle mode good on its own for Start, but bad for Stop where my Hyundai Elantra 2018 keeps the USB powered ~2 min after turning off the engine and locking the car.
Yes, that's because the start part (waiting for handsfree) is built into AA itself. Why Google did not built in the stop part as well (kill AA on handsfree loss) is a mystery to me.

worldonfire

May 19, 2022
@festor tried to use companion app also. Looks like in known places (one big crossroad in the city) there is no drop, but random disconnections still appear (at least today morning it appeared). Changed wifi channel to as big as possible, also region to Estonia as it should.

Will try to change network modes (already tried to disable VoLTE).

About other phones - As i have possibility to use three aawireless devices atm, then two of them are in other cars. My wife has Oneplus 6. It was so unstable that she did not want to use it any more. Other device is in Tiguan with technisat headunit and Samsung Note10. He said that sometimes, et is more stable, sometimes drops very often. Also told that quite unusable.

I'm not sure what HW these devices are, but mine and the one that my wife is using, they are produced this year. The one that my friend uses - should be one of the earliest devices.

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
I decided to sit in my GFTI, testing the first time connection and projection, instead of just doing one thing before I go for a drive and then seeing if that works the next drive.

Seeing as I now knew Stop/Start was not working/behaving correctly I decided to disable that and it seems to have done the trick. I look forward to getting AA projection nice and easy/quickly again, and the driving without disconnections/dropouts.

Again for those with disconnections, is your AAW device secured or moving around in the cabin? If it's not stuck still it may be affecting performance during driving.

Reactions: festor

Cipcino81

Aug 26, 2020
Hello,
can you please roll my device back to firmware 1.8 ? I have a lot of disconnections with 2.0 .
AAWireless-F4wB1ju5

Reactions: Gee11

Gee11

May 10, 2022
Hi,

I got a new Car (Toyota Corolla) and an Aawireless and I set it up yesterday.
My mobile phone is a Samsung galaxy S10 with Android 12.

Everything worked fine at the beginning, but after driving 5-15 Minutes, the box will lose the connection with the head unit and the LED starts to blink blue. And it won't regain the connection until I restart the car and the MMI.

I already tried a reset and two different usb cables and tried some of the usb modes.

Is it a known problem and what else can I do. As I said, it will get a connection at first but will lose it after a few minutes of driving and won't regain a connection even after trying another usb mode.

Thanks for an advice
this is the main problem with AAW.. soo many peole including me has this problem.. and theres no solution atm

festor

Jun 4, 2013
@festor tried to use companion app also. Looks like in known places (one big crossroad in the city) there is no drop, but random disconnections still appear (at least today morning it appeared). Changed wifi channel to as big as possible, also region to Estonia as it should.

Will try to change network modes (already tried to disable VoLTE).

About other phones - As i have possibility to use three aawireless devices atm, then two of them are in other cars. My wife has Oneplus 6. It was so unstable that she did not want to use it any more. Other device is in Tiguan with technisat headunit and Samsung Note10. He said that sometimes, et is more stable, sometimes drops very often. Also told that quite unusable.

I'm not sure what HW these devices are, but mine and the one that my wife is using, they are produced this year. The one that my friend uses - should be one of the earliest devices.
I'm not sure disabling VoLTE would be a good thing, for my setup anyway, but it's just a theory. I don't really need 5g so I set 4g/LTE as preferred network and enable VoLTE in the hope it keeps the phone using 4g instead of switching down to 3g for calls. Lowering to 3g/2g cuts wifi briefly on my phone which obviously disconnects AAWireless. It seems to help, but it's hard to measure with an intermittent issue.

This should only affect Poco/Xiaomi/Redmi phones running MIUI 12.5> but it's easily tested if you manually lower the network while connected to AAWireless. Now you're using the companion app, double check VAG crash fix is enabled too for your Technisat head units.

Do you ever get disconnections while stationary? I know you tried other cables, but it might be worth another try. I think it's more to do with the AAWireless socket and a change of cable and mounting with velcro and VHB tape seemed to stop hard crashes for me. Also for others:

Cipcino81

Aug 26, 2020
My disconnection is strange, aawireless stays blue and audio still plays , but android auto interface goes away and I got a black screen with a text like "for using android auto please stop and check your phone". When I am using maps and I can't stop immediately , I must rely on audio guidance . Then I simply turn off and on my pioneer unit and Android auto starts back. Sometimes I have to do it 4 times in a row to make it work again.

worldonfire

May 19, 2022
I'm not sure disabling VoLTE would be a good thing, for my setup anyway, but it's just a theory. I don't really need 5g so I set 4g/LTE as preferred network and enable VoLTE in the hope it keeps the phone using 4g instead of switching down to 3g for calls. Lowering to 3g/2g cuts wifi briefly on my phone which obviously disconnects AAWireless. It seems to help, but it's hard to measure with an intermittent issue.

This should only affect Poco/Xiaomi/Redmi phones running MIUI 12.5> but it's easily tested if you manually lower the network while connected to AAWireless. Now you're using the companion app, double check VAG crash fix is enabled too for your Technisat head units.

Do you ever get disconnections while stationary? I know you tried other cables, but it might be worth another try. I think it's more to do with the AAWireless socket and a change of cable and mounting with velcro and VHB tape seemed to stop hard crashes for me. Also for others:

Just checked - VoLTE was disabled. Still random drops. My phone lets only choose fro example 5G&/LTE/3g/2g or LTE/3g/2g or 3g/2g. At the moment the one LTE/3g/2g is selected.

Tiguan with techisat has VAG crash fix enabled.

My car is somewhat more stable lately. Not so often drops any more. But have had drops even when standing (no one touching the aawireless or wires).
Same goes with my friend - we did the setup, aawireless was standing still and lost connection.

All cables seems to work idally directly with phone (wired aa).
Have tried at least 5 different cables - existing ones I had and event bought some new ones. Have also tried to move those cables when device is connected and working. But did not manage to make the connection to drop.
I don't know what cables should I try more...

Cipcino81

Aug 26, 2020
Just checked - VoLTE was disabled. Still random drops. My phone lets only choose fro example 5G&/LTE/3g/2g or LTE/3g/2g or 3g/2g. At the moment the one LTE/3g/2g is selected.

Tiguan with techisat has VAG crash fix enabled.

My car is somewhat more stable lately. Not so often drops any more. But have had drops even when standing (no one touching the aawireless or wires).
Same goes with my friend - we did the setup, aawireless was standing still and lost connection.

All cables seems to work idally directly with phone (wired aa).
Have tried at least 5 different cables - existing ones I had and event bought some new ones. Have also tried to move those cables when device is connected and working. But did not manage to make the connection to drop.
I don't know what cables should I try more...
Yes I have tried moving aawireless with my hand and the cable too, and I got no disconnection. So I think it is not a problem with moving it. At least for me. I was thinking about a heat problem, I have noticed I got more disconnections when is hot weather. I will try to put aawireless on top of a 12x12 cm usb fan

Reactions: festor

Top Liked Posts

@Snirpo I've been running the Firebase builds (most recent update came this morning). This morning I also got an invitation to test a dev build. Should I uninstall the previous Firebase build so there's no conflict?
    Yup you can uninstall it. I've split the dev and production build. Mainly because Play Store updates overwrote the dev build. You can now have both installed as well.
    Today we got a new update for our Kia Ceed GT MY20 and other KIA/Hundai cars with Widescreen Navis and finally widescreen support for android auto. The bad thing: AAWireless is now not working anymore. I only get the error message that the phone is not responding from my car. With direct attached smartphone its working.
    Latest firmware is installed, all settings are standard and were working before the update.
    Yup, this is fixed on 2.1.0, which is in beta. You can use passthrough mode in the meantime.
    Any thoughts on GA for 2.1.0? (another Hyundai / Kia owner that has just upgraded to get widescreen Android Auto on the headunit)
    Today we got a new update for our Kia Ceed GT MY20 and other KIA/Hundai cars with Widescreen Navis and finally widescreen support for android auto. The bad thing: AAWireless is now not working anymore. I only get the error message that the phone is not responding from my car. With direct attached smartphone its working.
    Latest firmware is installed, all settings are standard and were working before the update.
    I can tell that switching to pass through is currently a good workaround :) But I have the problem that the connection sometimes takes longer then my driving time.. sometimes it connects instantly.. The WiFi timeout is already set to 5 seconds :( Have the feeling this started after upgrading to one of the 2.X firmwares.
    Thx. I'll go on pass through. Long drive planned today so let's see how that goes
    I got bored today, so I thought I make a mock up how the AAWireless app could look like :D When swiping t he car picture could change if you want to connect to annother device/car :D

View attachment 5645393 View attachment 5645397
    Haha nice! I'll pass it on to our UI/UX designer :) We have some UX changes in the pipeline, but it doesn't have the highest prio right now as you can imagine.
    We made some changes in firmware 2.1.0 which means we don't need these dreaded USB modes anymore. The plan is to ship devices in passthrough + dongle mode, to make it work natively, like the MA1, by default.
    Then we are going to hide away the settings in a sort of advanced settings menu, because all these settings are nice, but people don't read/understand what they do, stuff stops working and then our support has to handle it. Hardly anyone uses these settings, for example, dpi change, the most used feature, is only used on 1 percent of all devices.
    Bassicly we are KISS'ing it, but still keep advanced settings for well... You guys :)
    @everyone

For feature requests or issues, please use: https://github.com/cpebit/aawireless-issues/issues/new/choose

I getting really hard to follow this thread. Possibly I already forgot some requests of some people. Need a bit of structure. We will try to fix issues one by one from GitHub.
    I've been happily using AAwirelsss in my Kia Stinger, but I do have a few notes on my specific installation that others might find helpful.

Instead of using the built in start / stop detection, I made a Y cable that hooks up the USB data lines and ground to my head unit, but power is pulled from a cigarette lighter USB adapter. I don't know if this is safe on all cars, but it worked on mine.

I have quite a few devices in my car I need to share internet with, and I do not want to buy an extra hotspot., so I had to make a few tweaks on my phone to make my phone's hot spot play nice with AAwireless. In the past I simply had a macrodroid script set up so that when my bluetooth connects to the car, it started my phone's hot spot.

Unfortunately, the limited wifi connection to AAwireless seems to confuse my phone's hotspot, and it won't share any internet once connected to AAwireless.

I found the trick was to to have Macrodroid enable my hotspot, then disable wifi, forcing the hot spot to share my cellular data connection, then reenable wifi, and script connecting to AAwireless manually.

The AAwireless password is the SHA-1 of the device name in upper case.

Note: AAwireless does currently support connecting through a hot spot, but only a hot spot that isn't also your AAwireless phone. Support for connecting via your phone's built in hot spot is eventually coming, but for now the method I use above has worked well for me.
    Sounds very complex :) I'll build this feature into the next version of the app, possibly this week. Care to test?
    Regarding the broken day / nightmode cycle:

I also have this problem, and I read a few days ago that it was due to a combination of updated Google Maps and Android Auto.

The combination which should work:

Android Auto: 7.5.621344
    Google Maps: 11.31.1

You finde all these old versions on apkmirror.com, or similar sites.

Didn't have the time to check this out myself.

I had this same problem. Found out it woud be caused to 11.31.1 and upwards. Found the solution on Google Maps Help.

I installed Maps 11.35.0 beta (from apk mirror) and all seems to work well again. My AA is level 7.7.622134 (from play store).​

Tried a lot of different variations, but my conclusion is that Maps from 11.33.1 is the culprit.
    That is normal when using the dev version of the app. Dev version will always let you reflash actual version if there's no newer one.
    Yes, it's normal, but I'll remove it, because I get a comment about it almost every day :)
    This thread is dedicated for AAWireless users.

AAWireless is a device which allows you to transform your existing wired Android Auto compatible unit into a Wireless Android Auto unit.

General chat, experience sharing and community support should be expected as well as support from the developers of the product: @Snirpo and myself.
    I just want to leave a big THANK YOU for the developers! You invented a great product and do a great job here.

Anyone who has ordered the product knows that it is a crowdfunding project, which may also have teething problems. I find it cheeky to get upset about problems, even though they are dealt with promptly here. What more should the distributors do than react to the problems here and offer solutions?

I also have problems with the device, but I was helped quickly. Even if it takes a few days.

Dear team: Keep up the good work!
    We fixed the "VW Headunit crashing on skipping tracks" issue now completely. Confirmed it's a bug on the HU side, latency makes it worse. We will probably push a new firmware by the end of this week.
    I will also submit a bug report to Google, cause they can fix/workaround this issue as well for cabled users.
    Hello. What's new in 1.5?
    A full changelog for each release would really be appreciated :)
    Thanks for all the hard work!
    Yes, I'll write a full changelog next week from 1.0.0 to 1.5.0 and put it on GitHub + add a link in the app.
    I've already waited patiently for delivery 3 months more than expected - I ordered In April and was coming in June but now that's looking like October. Now I read on the indiegogo forum that people in the UK are being charged an additional €27 by the Royal mail as the UK is now not in the EU.

Hi Emil!
    Just received my AAWireless, and will plug in and test tonight. Love the packaging, looks great! However… Since it was shipped from Hong Kong I was forced to pay a rather substantial import fee and duties on this bad boy. I was under the impression that they would be shipped from within the EU? Is it stands now I’m EUR 27,00 poorer :(
    2 2
    https://www.indiegogo.com/individuals/24534862
    Emil Borconi-Szedressy 2 days ago
    PROJECT OWNER
    Looks like you are in the UK which is outside EU and also there is no way to pre-pay taxes with shipping company any more either....

This is a crazy. An additional $10 was already taken for delivery and it was meant to ship from the EU. I suspect the units have been shipped by Royal Mail / Dutch post. The Royal Mail rips off people in the UK because they add another £11 in admin fees on top of the 20% VAT even though goods up to £135 should be exempt.
    See https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...s-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021

So not only has VAT been charged coming into the EU from China, it has also been charged coming into the UK ON TOP of the VAT already paid in the EU.

This is just rubbish. What the guys need to do is either ship it from Hong Kong which can cost £0.20 (there are hundreds of chinese ebay and aliexpress sellers doing this already
    See http://www.vatfraud.org/blog/stop-s...ons-universal-postal-union-upu-terminal-dues/
    The $10 postage already taken should then be refunded.

The other way round it is send the item from Hong Kong and to mark the item as a gift and providing it is below £39 there is NO VAT to pay and NO Royal mail admin fee. Actually as the original product was $57 - roughly £41.25 This wouldn't be a crime seeing as we have had to wait soo long. This could also mean the $10 delivery could be refunded

The other way is to ship it via fedex and state the ex-vat cost coming from china and then add 20% vat that the developer should be paying to the UK HMRC.

Sadly if that doesn't take place, EVERYONE IN THE UK will feel ripped off because of the poor delivery and poor choices made by the developers.

Cheers
    Disgruntled in the UK

First of all, your item wasn't shipped yet since in the June batch, so you could have not payed anything for shipping. Secondly, UK is outside the EU, there was a vote about this in 2016, so it doesn't matter if the package comes from EU or from HK or from US, it is treated the same, it's an import. If we import it from HK to EU, we will pay import VAT on the product, then when we send it to UK, we claim back that VAT and we should pay VAT in UK, since there is no more free trading between EU and UK.

Up till recently there was a nice option, to pay VAT and Import duty up-front, when you ship to the UK, but this has been changed and now they requires business outside UK to register with HMRC and do HMRC feeling even if they are residing outside UK, a lot of red tape. Since crowdfunding is not a sale, we can still ship the units to UK, but not sure if we will be able to after the IndieGoGo campaign.

We are also a EU registered company so we cannot (and will not take advantage) of any loop-holes in systems to sell at ridiculously / unrealistically cheap prices.

About the user who paid 27 euros, it turned out that user is living in DK, but provided the address as UK so his package traveled the wrong way, hence the extra duties and surcharges.

Not aware of other users from UK having to pay anything additional when they received the package.