AAWireless - General discussion and support

Search This thread

rodmoore

May 24, 2022
How can i get the Wifi password to enable extracion of logs?
I am on my second device after the first repeatedly rebooted, sometime after a few seconds, sometimes it would stay up for 20-30 seconds max, show the map and then reboot.

Requested and received a replacement device but this is also showing the same behaviour.
Regardless of passthrough mode/dongle mode/resetting up/clearing caches ........

Ticket is open for issue https://cpeb.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/28709 but i thought I would also ask here.

Phone is a Motorola G200 running android 12 head unit is a SEAT (VW MIB) PN 7N035200C (H/W H31 S/W 0363)

Happy to extract logs and assist with debug as I really want this working. Just need some instructions.

Thanks

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
Ok quite surprising.... Apparently the stale connection detection is triggering for your HU... That means the HU isn't sending any messages for 10+ seconds. Thats normally not really possible at all because the HU should respond to ping messages from the phone. Can you maybe do a run with debug logging on (until it crashes)?

EDIT: Passthrough mode is enabled of course so I cannot see any messages going through. I'll enable the latest develop firmware for you which should make non-passthrough mode also work again.

Last edited:

donn2

Feb 26, 2011
I also have (or had) this issue (Samsung Galaxy S20 5G with Android 12). As a workaround I had to press the mute button on the car system two times after accepting a call and then it works correctly for the duration of the call. Also I have had various other sound issues (no sound/no microphone).
I have upgraded to 2.0.1 yesterday, I have yet to try making a phone call but the other sound issues didn't occur again yet.
Just to report back, updating to 2.0.1 did not resolve issue. Enabling passthrough mode resolved the issue.

josefsch

Jun 11, 2009

Winrahr

Feb 3, 2014
Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
Sony Xperia 1 II
I've been getting more frequent disconnections even while stopped at a light, even after latest firmware and trying a bunch of different wifi channels. What I've noticed though is that it's been getting warmer in the past month or so with the more frequent disconnections.

Has anyone faced heat issues? I keep it away from the sun and it is only about 27C here so it isn't extreme climate by any means.

I also read earlier in the thread that someone claimed to have fixed their issues with a v2, but I don't know if that is just a one time coincidence.

dscline

Sep 19, 2007
Atlanta, GA USA
Ok quite surprising.... Apparently the stale connection detection is triggering for your HU... That means the HU isn't sending any messages for 10+ seconds. Thats normally not really possible at all because the HU should respond to ping messages from the phone. Can you maybe do a run with debug logging on (until it crashes)?

EDIT: Passthrough mode is enabled of course so I cannot see any messages going through. I'll enable the latest develop firmware for you which should make non-passthrough mode also work again.
Well, I updated to the developmental firmware you enabled, but I still can't disable passthrough mode. It just won't connect w/o passthrough (though it did when I first got it, I ASSUME it's the HU update that broke it, but not sure). So I drove home with passthrough on (not sure where debug logging needs to be enabled, but maybe it doesn't matter if I can't disable passthrough?). I did have a disconnect on the way home, light seemed to be blinking green. Then it eventually turns blue and reconnects.

Cipcino81

Aug 26, 2020
I have received the downgrade to version 1.8 and updated device today. I will update about the situation after some days of testing. I hope no more video "blackouts" disconnections.

xPhrostx

Aug 28, 2014
I have had an issue since I received the unit but I've delt with it "Device Not Supported" it will launch Android Auto sometimes. Once it throws this error a couple times I am unable to even connect with direct USB to my phone. I have to pull fuses to reset my radio or wait until the next day. I've tried all the different modes and different USB cables. I've updated from 18 to 2.0.0 to 2.0.1 with the same issue. Definitely frustrated and I've sent tickets to support. I am starting to wonder if it's a heat issue as it seems worse the longer I run it or the hotter the day. Can only uninstall and factory reset so many times. Car is 18 Challenger with 8.4 Nav. Phone is pixel 3a xl.

Tony7533

May 21, 2022
Привет, ребята. Не могу решить последнюю задачу. После телефонного звонка звук больше не воспроизводится устройством. Требуется перезагрузка.
AAБеспроводная версия. 2.0, Ауди А6 С7, ОнеПлюс 7Про
MOD Edit: Please help with this issue. I'm tired of pulling the cord after every call. Maybe I should file a bug report? Device #4Hi5S8zx

Пожалуйста, помогите с этой проблемой. Я устал дергать за шнур после каждого звонка. Может быть, я должен сделать отчет об ошибке? Устройство № 4Hi5S8zx

Last edited by a moderator:

RealNBB

Aug 18, 2014
Пожалуйста, помогите с этой проблемой. Я устал дергать за шнур после каждого звонка. Может быть, я должен сделать отчет об ошибке? Устройство № 4Hi5S8zx
How can we help if we can't read your text? What is it? Russia, Cyrillic? But in the end it does not matter - this is an english spoken forum.

Tony7533

May 21, 2022
How can we help if we can't read your text? What is it? Russia, Cyrillic? But in the end it does not matter - this is an english spoken forum.
A'm sorry.
I can't solve the last problem. After a phone call, the sound can no longer be played by the device. Reboot required.
AAWireless ver. 2.0, Audi A6 C7, OnePlus 7Pro
Please help with this problem. I'm tired of pulling the cord after every call. Maybe I should make a bug report? Device #4Hi5S8zx

Reactions: SOFO888

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
A'm sorry.
I can't solve the last problem. After a phone call, the sound can no longer be played by the device. Reboot required.
AAWireless ver. 2.0, Audi A6 C7, OnePlus 7Pro
Please help with this problem. I'm tired of pulling the cord after every call. Maybe I should make a bug report? Device #4Hi5S8zx
Update to 2.0.1

Reactions: Tony7533

festor

Jun 4, 2013
I am trying, but update is not working.
Disable your VPN, if you have one. If you're using mobile data, try downloading the update separately over wifi then connect back up to AAWirelss and perform the install. If the download fails on wifi, then switch to mobile data.

If you still have problems, post info about what stage it's failing and the error you're getting.

Reactions: Tony7533
May 14, 2022
Hello,
Im the guy of the Vodafone SmartX9 (that didn´t work on the AAWireless).
Since then i updated to a Realme 8, and after managed to update the AAWireless to 2.0.0 and then 2.0.1 i can say with that phone i didn´t have any problem at all.

But the phone stopped working, battery faulty it seems. And i was forced to send it back.
Yesterday i got a brand new Samsung Galaxy A52s, and i was worried about some problems reported by some collegues of forum here.

But im happy to report that i have tested and AAWireless is running like a champ.

Here how i did it...

After updating the phone to the latests versions of software and apps, i went to Android Auto App or option inside Android 12.

And activated the developer menu (go to version number and press until it says so...).
then i went there and activate the Wireless Projection.
Went back and checked if Android Auto Wireless was selected (if not, select it).

I then exited and went to the car, and plugged the phone to usb with cable, it detected android auto and i configure all the options on the phone and on the infotaiment.
I let AA runn and open some apps inside the infotaiment (waze, phone, Maps), then i unplug the phone.

I then plug the AAWireless unit and start the AAW App on the phone.

I follow the steps but on my case the app didin´t detected the unit on BT.
I went manually to Bluetooth and selected the unit.
After connected, i went back to the app and finished the procedure.

After going to the main menu i waited 20 secs and the Android Auto app started runing as expected.
I didn´t alter any option on the options menu.

And the AAW is using 5G connection for better speed and stability.
I since then, have disconnected BT on my phone, reconected, removed the unit, inserted the unit back.

And so far, flawless function... everything works, audio works, music works, steering controls works, phone works (using Mic and Speakers of the car), Waze works.

No disconnect so far...

Im using now:

AAWireless on 2.0.1
Samsung Galaxy A52s 5G (Running Android 12 and latest versions)
Citroen C5 Aircross 1.2 from 2019 with latest version of NAC infotaiment.

I hope i can help with my report.

Best Regards,

LPC

Top Liked Posts

I've been happily using AAwirelsss in my Kia Stinger, but I do have a few notes on my specific installation that others might find helpful.

Instead of using the built in start / stop detection, I made a Y cable that hooks up the USB data lines and ground to my head unit, but power is pulled from a cigarette lighter USB adapter. I don't know if this is safe on all cars, but it worked on mine.

I have quite a few devices in my car I need to share internet with, and I do not want to buy an extra hotspot., so I had to make a few tweaks on my phone to make my phone's hot spot play nice with AAwireless. In the past I simply had a macrodroid script set up so that when my bluetooth connects to the car, it started my phone's hot spot.

Unfortunately, the limited wifi connection to AAwireless seems to confuse my phone's hotspot, and it won't share any internet once connected to AAwireless.

I found the trick was to to have Macrodroid enable my hotspot, then disable wifi, forcing the hot spot to share my cellular data connection, then reenable wifi, and script connecting to AAwireless manually.

The AAwireless password is the SHA-1 of the device name in upper case.

Note: AAwireless does currently support connecting through a hot spot, but only a hot spot that isn't also your AAwireless phone. Support for connecting via your phone's built in hot spot is eventually coming, but for now the method I use above has worked well for me.
    Sounds very complex :) I'll build this feature into the next version of the app, possibly this week. Care to test?
    No way
    It happens right after the firmware update to 2.0.2 from aawireless
    Please enable passthrough mode to verify if it also happens in passthrough mode.
    Sounds very complex :) I'll build this feature into the next version of the app, possibly this week. Care to test?

Always ready to test. I'm already part of the google play beta group, will the test version show up there?
    Always ready to test. I'm already part of the google play beta group, will the test version show up there?
    For the latest, please download: https://appdistribution.firebase.dev/i/5196d378c8e122d7
    I got bored today, so I thought I make a mock up how the AAWireless app could look like :D When swiping t he car picture could change if you want to connect to annother device/car :D

View attachment 5645393 View attachment 5645397
    Haha nice! I'll pass it on to our UI/UX designer :) We have some UX changes in the pipeline, but it doesn't have the highest prio right now as you can imagine.
    We made some changes in firmware 2.1.0 which means we don't need these dreaded USB modes anymore. The plan is to ship devices in passthrough + dongle mode, to make it work natively, like the MA1, by default.
    Then we are going to hide away the settings in a sort of advanced settings menu, because all these settings are nice, but people don't read/understand what they do, stuff stops working and then our support has to handle it. Hardly anyone uses these settings, for example, dpi change, the most used feature, is only used on 1 percent of all devices.
    Bassicly we are KISS'ing it, but still keep advanced settings for well... You guys :)
    @everyone

For feature requests or issues, please use: https://github.com/cpebit/aawireless-issues/issues/new/choose

I getting really hard to follow this thread. Possibly I already forgot some requests of some people. Need a bit of structure. We will try to fix issues one by one from GitHub.
    Regarding the broken day / nightmode cycle:

I also have this problem, and I read a few days ago that it was due to a combination of updated Google Maps and Android Auto.

The combination which should work:

Android Auto: 7.5.621344
    Google Maps: 11.31.1

You finde all these old versions on apkmirror.com, or similar sites.

Didn't have the time to check this out myself.

I had this same problem. Found out it woud be caused to 11.31.1 and upwards. Found the solution on Google Maps Help.

I installed Maps 11.35.0 beta (from apk mirror) and all seems to work well again. My AA is level 7.7.622134 (from play store).​

Tried a lot of different variations, but my conclusion is that Maps from 11.33.1 is the culprit.
    That is normal when using the dev version of the app. Dev version will always let you reflash actual version if there's no newer one.
    Yes, it's normal, but I'll remove it, because I get a comment about it almost every day :)
    I can, but it feels more like a bandaid solution. What kind of problems do you have?
    Yes rebooting is a band-aid solution for sure. But I think it would be a good thing to add in any case. Most devices I own have an option somewhere in the menu for a reboot. Hopefully it's not too difficult to implement.

As for the issue, here's the description:

Setup
    Car - Kia Stinger 2019 GT AWD
    AAWireless - Firmware 2.0, factory reset a few weeks ago. Enabled dongle mode and passthrough mode. Everything else is default
    Phone - Pixel 5

Issue
    Once in a rare while (like every 20-30 trips) the audio from AAWireless connection just stops working. Happened with multiple different apps (Spotify, Pocketcasts, etc.). The app keeps playing the content (I can see the play time advancing) but no sound. There is never an interruption with the AA connection - it's rock solid, stays on my car display and is navigable. it's just the audio that stops working.

Troubleshooting steps
    Tried factory reset in non-dongle mode (fail)
    Tried factory reset with dongle mode (fail)
    Tried dongle mode + pass through (fail)
    Upgraded to AAWireless firmware 2.0.1 (did that this morning, too early to tell)

When this happens (again it's rare) the only way that I can resolve this is to leave the car for a few minutes and let the AAWireless unit power down with the car, or power cycle the AAWireless unit by unplugging and plugging back in. If I turn off the car and turn it back on immediately, the problem remains as the AAWIreless device stays powered on. If I switch to radio on the car the sound works fine but when I go back to AAWIreless the sound is still gone.

In either situation, rebooting the AAWireless seems to fix the issue.

Hope this helps. Like I said this is fairly rare occurence that can occur at the beginning of a trip or after 30 mins of driving. That's why I'd be happy with a device reboot option in the app as I know the permutations of cars + phones + AAWireless settings makes this hard to diagnose.
    This thread is dedicated for AAWireless users.

AAWireless is a device which allows you to transform your existing wired Android Auto compatible unit into a Wireless Android Auto unit.

General chat, experience sharing and community support should be expected as well as support from the developers of the product: @Snirpo and myself.
    I just want to leave a big THANK YOU for the developers! You invented a great product and do a great job here.

Anyone who has ordered the product knows that it is a crowdfunding project, which may also have teething problems. I find it cheeky to get upset about problems, even though they are dealt with promptly here. What more should the distributors do than react to the problems here and offer solutions?

I also have problems with the device, but I was helped quickly. Even if it takes a few days.

Dear team: Keep up the good work!
    We fixed the "VW Headunit crashing on skipping tracks" issue now completely. Confirmed it's a bug on the HU side, latency makes it worse. We will probably push a new firmware by the end of this week.
    I will also submit a bug report to Google, cause they can fix/workaround this issue as well for cabled users.
    Hello. What's new in 1.5?
    A full changelog for each release would really be appreciated :)
    Thanks for all the hard work!
    Yes, I'll write a full changelog next week from 1.0.0 to 1.5.0 and put it on GitHub + add a link in the app.
    I've already waited patiently for delivery 3 months more than expected - I ordered In April and was coming in June but now that's looking like October. Now I read on the indiegogo forum that people in the UK are being charged an additional €27 by the Royal mail as the UK is now not in the EU.

Hi Emil!
    Just received my AAWireless, and will plug in and test tonight. Love the packaging, looks great! However… Since it was shipped from Hong Kong I was forced to pay a rather substantial import fee and duties on this bad boy. I was under the impression that they would be shipped from within the EU? Is it stands now I’m EUR 27,00 poorer :(
    2 2
    https://www.indiegogo.com/individuals/24534862
    Emil Borconi-Szedressy 2 days ago
    PROJECT OWNER
    Looks like you are in the UK which is outside EU and also there is no way to pre-pay taxes with shipping company any more either....

This is a crazy. An additional $10 was already taken for delivery and it was meant to ship from the EU. I suspect the units have been shipped by Royal Mail / Dutch post. The Royal Mail rips off people in the UK because they add another £11 in admin fees on top of the 20% VAT even though goods up to £135 should be exempt.
    See https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...s-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021

So not only has VAT been charged coming into the EU from China, it has also been charged coming into the UK ON TOP of the VAT already paid in the EU.

This is just rubbish. What the guys need to do is either ship it from Hong Kong which can cost £0.20 (there are hundreds of chinese ebay and aliexpress sellers doing this already
    See http://www.vatfraud.org/blog/stop-s...ons-universal-postal-union-upu-terminal-dues/
    The $10 postage already taken should then be refunded.

The other way round it is send the item from Hong Kong and to mark the item as a gift and providing it is below £39 there is NO VAT to pay and NO Royal mail admin fee. Actually as the original product was $57 - roughly £41.25 This wouldn't be a crime seeing as we have had to wait soo long. This could also mean the $10 delivery could be refunded

The other way is to ship it via fedex and state the ex-vat cost coming from china and then add 20% vat that the developer should be paying to the UK HMRC.

Sadly if that doesn't take place, EVERYONE IN THE UK will feel ripped off because of the poor delivery and poor choices made by the developers.

Cheers
    Disgruntled in the UK

First of all, your item wasn't shipped yet since in the June batch, so you could have not payed anything for shipping. Secondly, UK is outside the EU, there was a vote about this in 2016, so it doesn't matter if the package comes from EU or from HK or from US, it is treated the same, it's an import. If we import it from HK to EU, we will pay import VAT on the product, then when we send it to UK, we claim back that VAT and we should pay VAT in UK, since there is no more free trading between EU and UK.

Up till recently there was a nice option, to pay VAT and Import duty up-front, when you ship to the UK, but this has been changed and now they requires business outside UK to register with HMRC and do HMRC feeling even if they are residing outside UK, a lot of red tape. Since crowdfunding is not a sale, we can still ship the units to UK, but not sure if we will be able to after the IndieGoGo campaign.

We are also a EU registered company so we cannot (and will not take advantage) of any loop-holes in systems to sell at ridiculously / unrealistically cheap prices.

About the user who paid 27 euros, it turned out that user is living in DK, but provided the address as UK so his package traveled the wrong way, hence the extra duties and surcharges.

Not aware of other users from UK having to pay anything additional when they received the package.