AAWireless - General discussion and support

Search This thread

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
+1 experiencing the same issue with a 2020 Ram 1500, 12" Uconnect, Samsung S10. It happened occasionally prior to firmware 2.0, but now occurs on a regular basis especially during short trips. I can usually solve it by removing AAWireless from the "projection" settings in Uconnect and then restarting AAWireless. Tried dongle mode but it made no difference. Also tried with start/stop enabled and disabled, again no difference.
@Snirpo
When I disconnect and reconnect from the phone, the AAW blinks blue for about 10 seconds then goes back to solid white. Similarly, when I just disconnect and reconnect from the headunit it will blink blue then go back to solid white. The only way I've been able to get it to work is to have the headunit forget AAW, then disconnect and reconnect from either the headujit or the phone.
Pretty crazy stuff. One of our testers has the same car. He seems to be using "MTP with restart" USB mode. Can you check if that fixes it for you?

mnunes

Feb 24, 2007
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8
Pretty crazy stuff. One of our testers has the same car. He seems to be using "MTP with restart" USB mode. Can you check if that fixes it for you?
I just retried this, but the AAW device goes into what looks like a boot loop.
LED is green (booting).
LED goes white for a few seconds.
Phone screen flashes once like it's going to start projecting.
LED flashes blue for 2-3 seconds.
LED goes green again and the process starts over.

von975

May 28, 2022
Hi, I am an AAWireless beta tester and have been helping test the device.

I have four phones that I use with AAWireless.

Samsung Galaxy S20 5G [Android 11]
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G [Android 11]
Moto G Power (2020) [Android 10]
LG Q7+ [Android 9]

I have a 2020 Hyundai Palisade with the 10.25 inch head unit.

I may be able to help with questions that you may have here.

LeRoy
hello, I have recently purchased AAWireless installed on Golf 7.5 of 2017 and S21 5g phone, when I configure the device on the machine it works correctly but from that moment on the phone is no longer able to connect to the home wifi network. I don't know where I'm wrong.

tallleroy

Nov 20, 2015
Atlanta, Georgia
Yes @von975, when AAWireless is working, your WiFi is connected to the AAWireless device. The WiFi is a substitute for the USB cable. This works the same way as Android Auto does with Wireless Android Auto head units.

Since WiFi is connected to the AAWireless device, it cannot be connected to your home network at the same time.

If your Golf leaves the USB port powered after you leave your car, try Start/Stop in Settings for AAWireless.

Reactions: cristi_b

smirle

Aug 23, 2009
Hi all - how do we request a feature in the app? I'd love to see a 'soft reboot' option so I don't have to unplug and replug in my AAWireless unit every time I have issues.

I realize that unplugging and replugging is a great solution but my AAWireless unit is in a bit of an inconvenient location for aesthetic purposes.

DeanGibson

Apr 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
Hi all - how do we request a feature in the app? I'd love to see a 'soft reboot' option so I don't have to unplug and replug in my AAWireless unit every time I have issues.

I realize that unplugging and replugging is a great solution but my AAWireless unit is in a bit of an inconvenient location for aesthetic purposes.
Try Sabrent HB-UMLS 4-port USB 2.0 hub with switches,

smirle

Aug 23, 2009
It allows you to turn the AAW on & off without unplugging & re-plugging the cable. Aside from being more convenient, it saves wear & tear on the cable & its connectors.
I like that out of the box thinking! Unfortunately that won't work in the space that I have allocated for the AAWireless. Hopefully the dev will see this and add a reboot option. Could just be a button in the settings menu.

Reactions: DeanGibson

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
@Snirpo
When I disconnect and reconnect from the phone, the AAW blinks blue for about 10 seconds then goes back to solid white. Similarly, when I just disconnect and reconnect from the headunit it will blink blue then go back to solid white. The only way I've been able to get it to work is to have the headunit forget AAW, then disconnect and reconnect from either the headujit or the phone.
Hmm can you shoot in a bug report via the app? Help and support --> bug report

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
I like that out of the box thinking! Unfortunately that won't work in the space that I have allocated for the AAWireless. Hopefully the dev will see this and add a reboot option. Could just be a button in the settings menu.
I can, but it feels more like a bandaid solution. What kind of problems do you have?

Reactions: DeanGibson

mnunes

Feb 24, 2007
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8
Hmm can you shoot in a bug report via the app? Help and support --> bug report
Device AAWHu0f11f0

I sent two debug reports.
1 - device is in USB normal/default mode and fails to connect.
2 - device is in USB normal/default mode and I manually forget AAW in the headunit, then it reconnects and works.

Between those two, I tried to do a debug with USB in MTP with Restart, but it wasn't able to complete a debug report cycle. Perhaps the log data is in report #2.

smirle

Aug 23, 2009
I can, but it feels more like a bandaid solution. What kind of problems do you have?
Yes rebooting is a band-aid solution for sure. But I think it would be a good thing to add in any case. Most devices I own have an option somewhere in the menu for a reboot. Hopefully it's not too difficult to implement.

As for the issue, here's the description:

Setup
Car - Kia Stinger 2019 GT AWD
AAWireless - Firmware 2.0, factory reset a few weeks ago. Enabled dongle mode and passthrough mode. Everything else is default
Phone - Pixel 5

Issue
Once in a rare while (like every 20-30 trips) the audio from AAWireless connection just stops working. Happened with multiple different apps (Spotify, Pocketcasts, etc.). The app keeps playing the content (I can see the play time advancing) but no sound. There is never an interruption with the AA connection - it's rock solid, stays on my car display and is navigable. it's just the audio that stops working.

Troubleshooting steps
Tried factory reset in non-dongle mode (fail)
Tried factory reset with dongle mode (fail)
Tried dongle mode + pass through (fail)
Upgraded to AAWireless firmware 2.0.1 (did that this morning, too early to tell)

When this happens (again it's rare) the only way that I can resolve this is to leave the car for a few minutes and let the AAWireless unit power down with the car, or power cycle the AAWireless unit by unplugging and plugging back in. If I turn off the car and turn it back on immediately, the problem remains as the AAWIreless device stays powered on. If I switch to radio on the car the sound works fine but when I go back to AAWIreless the sound is still gone.

In either situation, rebooting the AAWireless seems to fix the issue.

Hope this helps. Like I said this is fairly rare occurence that can occur at the beginning of a trip or after 30 mins of driving. That's why I'd be happy with a device reboot option in the app as I know the permutations of cars + phones + AAWireless settings makes this hard to diagnose.

Last edited:

DeanGibson

Apr 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
Yes rebooting is a band-aid solution for sure. But I think it would be a good thing to add in any case. Most devices I own have an option somewhere in the menu for a reboot. Hopefully it's not too difficult to implement.

Setup
AAWireless - Firmware 2.0, factory reset a few weeks ago. Enabled dongle mode and passthrough mode. Everything else is default
Phone - Pixel 5

Issue
Once in a rare while (like every 20-30 trips) the audio from AAWireless connection just stops working. Happened with multiple different apps (Spotify, Pocketcasts, etc.). The app keeps playing the content (I can see the play time advancing) but no sound. There is never an interruption with the AA connection - it's rock solid, stays on my car display and is navigable. it's just the audio that stops working.

Troubleshooting steps
Upgraded to AAWireless firmware 2.0.1 (did that this morning, too early to tell)

When this happens (again it's rare) the only way that I can resolve this is to leave the car for a few minutes and let the AAWireless unit power down with the car, or power cycle the AAWireless unit by unplugging and plugging back in. If I turn off the car and turn it back on immediately, the problem remains as the AAWIreless device stays powered on. If I switch to radio on the car the sound works fine but when I go back to AAWIreless the sound is still gone.

Hope this helps. Like I said this is fairly rare occurrence that can occur at the beginning of a trip or after 30 mins of driving. That's why I'd be happy with a device reboot option in the app as I know the permutations of cars + phones + AAWireless settings makes this hard to diagnose.
Agreed!

My car (Subaru Impreza) has a (somewhat hidden) reboot option, & it has been a GODSEND to resync AA before I had AAW. Reboot options are allowed in a LOT of applications (not just Android) that deal with communications.

It's much better than unplugging/re-plugging, especially when driving. Although I prefer the switched USB, which in my case is even less fussing than doing it on the phone.

Reactions: Lord Paulus Cobris

HofaTheRipper

Apr 26, 2014
St. Veit an der Glan

Setup
Phone - Pixel 5

Issue

Troubleshooting steps

Hope this helps. Like I said this is fairly rare occurence that can occur at the beginning of a trip or after 30 mins of driving. That's why I'd be happy with a device reboot option in the app as I know the permutations of cars + phones + AAWireless settings makes this hard to diagnose.
this was a known bug and is fixed in Firmware 2.0.1 😉

Marsou77

Feb 2, 2011
Earth
Can you send in a bug report via the app? Help and support --> bug report
Hi! Sorry for the delay. I played a little today with settings. I moved down my Pixel 6 in the list, then I unplugged plugged back AAWireless and magically the Samsung was connected as expected. I then moved up my Pixel 6 in the list and restarted the dongle and my phone was connected!

So I think we can close the issue. Thank you for your quick reply !

1qazwsx4

Sep 19, 2011
New Zealand
@Snirpo just thought I would say thanks to you and the team. Latest firmware has given me a fully functional device that's fast and fluid, connects automatically when I get in the car within 20 or so seconds (disconnects from home WiFi successfully now instead of needing me to drive away) Phone Poco: X4 pro 5g (running miui EU ROM stable)
Car: 2018 Holden ZB commodore.

Only quirks I have now are the MIUi related: disconnect on signal changes but hopefully android 12 may fix that 😁

Thanks again

Reactions: psmedley

1enry1

Oct 21, 2015
who have the new GOLF 8 ? help me....

when you tell to the google assistent to call a number in the

address book ... your call the numer that you say ? in my .... NONE !

Top Liked Posts

Always ready to test. I'm already part of the google play beta group, will the test version show up there?
    For the latest, please download: https://appdistribution.firebase.dev/i/5196d378c8e122d7
    I got bored today, so I thought I make a mock up how the AAWireless app could look like :D When swiping t he car picture could change if you want to connect to annother device/car :D

View attachment 5645393 View attachment 5645397
    Haha nice! I'll pass it on to our UI/UX designer :) We have some UX changes in the pipeline, but it doesn't have the highest prio right now as you can imagine.
    We made some changes in firmware 2.1.0 which means we don't need these dreaded USB modes anymore. The plan is to ship devices in passthrough + dongle mode, to make it work natively, like the MA1, by default.
    Then we are going to hide away the settings in a sort of advanced settings menu, because all these settings are nice, but people don't read/understand what they do, stuff stops working and then our support has to handle it. Hardly anyone uses these settings, for example, dpi change, the most used feature, is only used on 1 percent of all devices.
    Bassicly we are KISS'ing it, but still keep advanced settings for well... You guys :)
    @everyone

For feature requests or issues, please use: https://github.com/cpebit/aawireless-issues/issues/new/choose

I getting really hard to follow this thread. Possibly I already forgot some requests of some people. Need a bit of structure. We will try to fix issues one by one from GitHub.
    Regarding the broken day / nightmode cycle:

I also have this problem, and I read a few days ago that it was due to a combination of updated Google Maps and Android Auto.

The combination which should work:

Android Auto: 7.5.621344
    Google Maps: 11.31.1

You finde all these old versions on apkmirror.com, or similar sites.

Didn't have the time to check this out myself.

I had this same problem. Found out it woud be caused to 11.31.1 and upwards. Found the solution on Google Maps Help.

I installed Maps 11.35.0 beta (from apk mirror) and all seems to work well again. My AA is level 7.7.622134 (from play store).​

Tried a lot of different variations, but my conclusion is that Maps from 11.33.1 is the culprit.
    That is normal when using the dev version of the app. Dev version will always let you reflash actual version if there's no newer one.
    Yes, it's normal, but I'll remove it, because I get a comment about it almost every day :)
    @Snirpo

Why don't you use a Y-cable? Data plugs into the USB and electric power from the cigarette lighter plug.
    By this you can check the voltage on the cigarette lighter plug. Is it 12.x Volts, you know the engine is off. Then you wait for a timeout of 2 minutes after the phone disconnected and turn off AAWireless. As soon as the voltage is 14.x Volts, you know that the engine is running and turn AAWireless on. You could sell this as an addon cable for people who need this.

Another solution is to make it based on vibrations/accelerations. The early bluetooth handsfree sets used a similar way to check if the door was opened. I don't know if there is a sensor on the board.

Another idea is to carefully check how stable the 5V from USB is during engine start as the ICs have to control the output voltage based on the input voltage (input voltage should drop during engine cranking). I guess you will see a voltage control behavior. I think it will drop for a short time and then go over 5V until the controller sets the 5V stable. And here you can start AAWireless. As soon as the phone disconnects keep a long enough timeout of 5 minutes or so to make sure that noone tries to reconnect. Then you can turn off AAWireless. You could sell this as an addon cable for people who need this.

These are just some ideas...
    While I do like these ideas technically. From an UX perspective I don't know.

Right now already we get complaints AAWireless is difficult to setup (while in reality it really isn't), compared to for example the MA1, this would complicate it more. I have seen a lot of support tickets, and for non-tech these things are just very hard to understand. "Why do I need an extra cable?!"

I think for the car's which have an always on USB port (Dodge RAM/Jeep) we seem to have a proper device controlled solution now (in beta).
    For other cars which keep their USB port powered for just a while after turn off its trickier, but even then the phone controlled way works for most. What's left is the edge cases, where we have to think about how to handle those.
    This thread is dedicated for AAWireless users.

AAWireless is a device which allows you to transform your existing wired Android Auto compatible unit into a Wireless Android Auto unit.

General chat, experience sharing and community support should be expected as well as support from the developers of the product: @Snirpo and myself.
    I just want to leave a big THANK YOU for the developers! You invented a great product and do a great job here.

Anyone who has ordered the product knows that it is a crowdfunding project, which may also have teething problems. I find it cheeky to get upset about problems, even though they are dealt with promptly here. What more should the distributors do than react to the problems here and offer solutions?

I also have problems with the device, but I was helped quickly. Even if it takes a few days.

Dear team: Keep up the good work!
    We fixed the "VW Headunit crashing on skipping tracks" issue now completely. Confirmed it's a bug on the HU side, latency makes it worse. We will probably push a new firmware by the end of this week.
    I will also submit a bug report to Google, cause they can fix/workaround this issue as well for cabled users.
    Hello. What's new in 1.5?
    A full changelog for each release would really be appreciated :)
    Thanks for all the hard work!
    Yes, I'll write a full changelog next week from 1.0.0 to 1.5.0 and put it on GitHub + add a link in the app.
    I've already waited patiently for delivery 3 months more than expected - I ordered In April and was coming in June but now that's looking like October. Now I read on the indiegogo forum that people in the UK are being charged an additional €27 by the Royal mail as the UK is now not in the EU.

Hi Emil!
    Just received my AAWireless, and will plug in and test tonight. Love the packaging, looks great! However… Since it was shipped from Hong Kong I was forced to pay a rather substantial import fee and duties on this bad boy. I was under the impression that they would be shipped from within the EU? Is it stands now I’m EUR 27,00 poorer :(
    2 2
    https://www.indiegogo.com/individuals/24534862
    Emil Borconi-Szedressy 2 days ago
    PROJECT OWNER
    Looks like you are in the UK which is outside EU and also there is no way to pre-pay taxes with shipping company any more either....

This is a crazy. An additional $10 was already taken for delivery and it was meant to ship from the EU. I suspect the units have been shipped by Royal Mail / Dutch post. The Royal Mail rips off people in the UK because they add another £11 in admin fees on top of the 20% VAT even though goods up to £135 should be exempt.
    See https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...s-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021

So not only has VAT been charged coming into the EU from China, it has also been charged coming into the UK ON TOP of the VAT already paid in the EU.

This is just rubbish. What the guys need to do is either ship it from Hong Kong which can cost £0.20 (there are hundreds of chinese ebay and aliexpress sellers doing this already
    See http://www.vatfraud.org/blog/stop-s...ons-universal-postal-union-upu-terminal-dues/
    The $10 postage already taken should then be refunded.

The other way round it is send the item from Hong Kong and to mark the item as a gift and providing it is below £39 there is NO VAT to pay and NO Royal mail admin fee. Actually as the original product was $57 - roughly £41.25 This wouldn't be a crime seeing as we have had to wait soo long. This could also mean the $10 delivery could be refunded

The other way is to ship it via fedex and state the ex-vat cost coming from china and then add 20% vat that the developer should be paying to the UK HMRC.

Sadly if that doesn't take place, EVERYONE IN THE UK will feel ripped off because of the poor delivery and poor choices made by the developers.

Cheers
    Disgruntled in the UK

First of all, your item wasn't shipped yet since in the June batch, so you could have not payed anything for shipping. Secondly, UK is outside the EU, there was a vote about this in 2016, so it doesn't matter if the package comes from EU or from HK or from US, it is treated the same, it's an import. If we import it from HK to EU, we will pay import VAT on the product, then when we send it to UK, we claim back that VAT and we should pay VAT in UK, since there is no more free trading between EU and UK.

Up till recently there was a nice option, to pay VAT and Import duty up-front, when you ship to the UK, but this has been changed and now they requires business outside UK to register with HMRC and do HMRC feeling even if they are residing outside UK, a lot of red tape. Since crowdfunding is not a sale, we can still ship the units to UK, but not sure if we will be able to after the IndieGoGo campaign.

We are also a EU registered company so we cannot (and will not take advantage) of any loop-holes in systems to sell at ridiculously / unrealistically cheap prices.

About the user who paid 27 euros, it turned out that user is living in DK, but provided the address as UK so his package traveled the wrong way, hence the extra duties and surcharges.

Not aware of other users from UK having to pay anything additional when they received the package.