Attachments

• 1653412461352.png
    1653412461352.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 52

bergasha1

Jun 23, 2022
Could I also be added to the test firmware please
AAWgvRhvgxO

I had it running perfectly then I got the steady green light of death. Recieved my replacment the other day but it keeps crashing after about one minute. Steady blue light but I have to unplug and re plug to get it to connect again for about a minute.

Any suggestions?
thanks

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
Could I also be added to the test firmware please
AAWgvRhvgxO

I had it running perfectly then I got the steady green light of death. Recieved my replacment the other day but it keeps crashing after about one minute. Steady blue light but I have to unplug and re plug to get it to connect again for about a minute.

Any suggestions?
thanks
Can you send in a bug report via the app?

elbubi

May 12, 2013
Hi!

I' ve been struggling to update to v2.0.2 (from 2.0.1).
After downloading, when I hit update, it inmediately reports "update failed" and device hangs in full white led (have to unplug and plug to recover). Tried several times (phone restart, etc) to no luck.

¿¿¿Any hints???

PS: Device ID: AndroidAuto-AAW0BFP6ObA

Oversemper

Aug 26, 2016
St.Petersburg
Hi, Everybody! MB GLC (first gen prior to restyle)+Sony 1 mark 3 (Android 12)+first gen AA Wireless (2.02 firmw, AAWvzwqPWSp) works pretty much perfectly with the latest updates everywhere safe for one thing. GPS. It is not documented anywhere clearly. My car has GPS of its own and when I connect phone by usb and even place it inside elbow rest compartment it has PERFECT GPS reception. Car's position, heading and speed is no more than 1 second late on the screen. It is much better than when the phone is used without AA with a holder on the windshield. There are NEVER "looking for GPS signal" unless I'm driving in a tunnel or under some roof.

But when I plug AA Wireless either in a dongle mode or non-dongle mode, passthrough/non-passthrough mode, the position regularly (but not constantly, like 50/50 of times) becomes crazy. Rotation when standing at a red light. Jumps. "Looking for GPS signal" with the car's position pointer being gray (google maps). How to fix it? Put the phone under the windshield. I don't have to light the screen or anything. It is not power saving when the screen is off. Just putting the phone where GPS signal is good makes AA Wireless always the same as when the phones is used without AA on the windshield holder, but never as good as with a USB AA with the phone being buried deep inside where no GPS signal can make it's way. What conclusion can be made of it? With AA Wireless the GPS signal is often (not always) received not from the car's headunit like with USB AA, but from the phone's GPS antenna. Dear, Devs. If you run a new campaign for "adding GPS signal forced from car's headunit" I will support you with USD 100. I swear! It is the last thing to fix to make it an absolute copy of the USB AA.

BTW. I've never used the tap restriction which messes with GPS.

Last edited:
Reactions: ForeverYoung7

TaxiTom

Jun 22, 2022
I got mine 2 days ago and struggled with the instalation, could not connect the head unit. After having spent hours on it, I realized that just drawing power from the cig.-lighter might cause the problem and used instead the USB-port from my ZENEC head unit. From there immediate hookup and running smooth. A great product! Yet for those who have older cars w/o data-USB port be advised you need to put the dongle on the head unit usb otherwise it won't work.

Reactions: Snirpo

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
Hi, Everybody! MB GLC (first gen prior to restyle)+Sony 1 mark 3 (Android 12)+first gen AA Wireless (2.02 firmw, AAWvzwqPWSp) works pretty much perfectly with the latest updates everywhere safe for one thing. GPS. It is not documented anywhere clearly. My car has GPS of its own and when I connect phone by usb and even place it inside elbow rest compartment it has PERFECT GPS reception. Car's position, heading and speed is no more than 1 second late on the screen. It is much better than when the phone is used without AA with a holder on the windshield. There are NEVER "looking for GPS signal" unless I'm driving in a tunnel or under some roof.

But when I plug AA Wireless either in a dongle mode or non-dongle mode, passthrough/non-passthrough mode, the position regularly (but not constantly, like 50/50 of times) becomes crazy. Rotation when standing at a red light. Jumps. "Looking for GPS signal" with the car's position pointer being gray (google maps). How to fix it? Put the phone under the windshield. I don't have to light the screen or anything. It is not power saving when the screen is off. Just putting the phone where GPS signal is good makes AA Wireless always the same as when the phones is used without AA on the windshield holder, but never as good as with a USB AA with the phone being buried deep inside where no GPS signal can make it's way. What conclusion can be made of it? With AA Wireless the GPS signal is often (not always) received not from the car's headunit like with USB AA, but from the phone's GPS antenna. Dear, Devs. If you run a new campaign for "adding GPS signal forced from car's headunit" I will support you with USD 100. I swear! It is the last thing to fix to make it an absolute copy of the USB AA.

BTW. I've never used the tap restriction which messes with GPS.
AAWireless does not influence GPS in any way when passthrough is enabled or "remove tap restriction" is disabled in non passthrough mode.

I'm not sure why this happens, only thing I can imagine is the car not advertising it's internal GPS, and both in wired and wireless mode it actually using the GPS from the phone. It's possible (I guess) the GPS signal is worse because of the wifi signal interfering with GPS? Seems pretty far fetched though.

I can see from debug logs if the car is broadcasting a gps service. If you shoot in a bug report via the app, I'll check.

DroidShift79

Sep 11, 2012
Frankfurt am Main
OnePlus 9 Pro
Can you send in a bug report via the app?
I guess I sent you 3 reports.
No issues today morning. Everything is connected and fine....
Will start recording when I drive home later today and send it.

At lunch break, I decided to turn BT an WLAN in the phone off, before I got to the car.
Turned on the Car, then BT and WLAN again - flawless connection.

after finishing time I left everything on, went to the car, no connection. And the LED went through all colors, solid and blinking to red light. I turned of the car, BT and WLAN, unplugged AAWireless, waited a few minutes, plugged in the AAWireless, turned BT and WLAN on, started the car. It took a while, but everything got connected again.

Hope you see something in the logs or have a hint.
Maybe Android 12 on OnePlus 9 Pro removes known connections after a while and can't find it again?

Last edited:

Spoonoid

Oct 13, 2014
Hi!

I' ve been struggling to update to v2.0.2 (from 2.0.1).
After downloading, when I hit update, it inmediately reports "update failed" and device hangs in full white led (have to unplug and plug to recover). Tried several times (phone restart, etc) to no luck.

¿¿¿Any hints???

PS: Device ID: AndroidAuto-AAW0BFP6ObA
Exactly the same here sadly.

elbubi

May 12, 2013
Start/stop enabled by any chance?

EDIT: Not enabled I see. Using the latest app? (2.17.0)

Isn't the LED yellow btw? White doesn't really make sense.
Same here:

Start/Stop => Disabled
App Version => 2.17.0
Led Colour => It might be light yellow instead of white

Thanks for your support Snirpo!

Last edited:

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
Not enabled indeed.
App version 2.17.0 confirmed.
The LED might be more yellow than white, kinda hard to be sure.

Thanks for checking!
Same here:

Start/Stop => Disabled
App Version => 2.17.0
Led Colour => It may be light yellow instead of white

Thanks for your support Snirpo!
Can you possibly download the Alpha app from: https://appdistribution.firebase.dev/i/5196d378c8e122d7 . This version has debug logs enabled you I can see what's happening (or not happening in this case :) ).

Reactions: elbubi

Marsou77

Feb 2, 2011
Earth
Hi there!

I'm now struggling with my unit.
Latest firmware 2.0.2, app 2.17.0 with a Pixel 6 running Android 12 June Update and a Peugeot 208 I

When playing music with Spotify, the AA interface is really laggy and not a joy to use. When stopping music, the UI is as smooth as when my phone is wired.

I tried a lot of things to solve the issue like resetting the unit (my unit ID changed everything time :O), dongle mode, passthrough... And same thing happened.

I tried AA directly connected with my phone and everything went like it should, so, I think there is something weird with AAWireless and my phone. I remember I didn't suffer from this with firmware 1.8.0 (if I can downgrade my unit to this version to check 👀)

I tried with my girlfriend phone Galaxy A7 and there is no problem at all, Spotify and stock music player doesn't slow down the UI.

Tomorrow I will try to listen music with another app from my Pixel.

I also recorded a log that I didn't sent, I'm waiting the green light to do so.
While the unit recorded logs, I scrolled on Maps, then played music with Spotify, scrolled again on Maps, then stopped the playback and scrolled another time.

In case It can help here is my unit ID: AndroidAuto-AAWuoBcjksX

Thank you in advance for your help!

mortbrad

Oct 17, 2011

I have a 2020 GLC and I have none of the above issues. AA Wireless uses your phone GPS, so I believe your battery saver is absolutely the cause for this. I've seen this as soon as the phone screen turns off.

Top Liked Posts

"%d" will take the first 32 or 64 bits (depending upon the CPU architecture) of the parameter (fixed point, floating point, graphic data, music data, whatever), interpret it as a fixed point integer, & display it. The only reason that the "%d" is displayed, is if the parameter wasn't even provided in the call to sprintf().

That's a coding error. Perhaps a variable name for the parameter was originally provided, but when the progress bar was implemented, the variable definition was removed. This would then fail compilation, so the sprintf() call was modified to remove the variable name, with the idea that the sprintf() call would be fixed later.

This is all pure speculation, & assumes a C/C++/C#/Java source code base.
    It's exactly that, param was missing. Has nothing to do with progress indicator though, progress indicator has been in there since the beginning :) Param missing has also been in there since the beginning, no body noticed apparently.
    It's in the spot where the percentage is calculated/displayed. My guess is there's an initial value of nul/100 or something that %d can't display.
    "%d" will take the first 32 or 64 bits (depending upon the CPU architecture) of the parameter (fixed point, floating point, graphic data, music data, whatever), interpret it as a fixed point integer, & display it. The only reason that the "%d" is displayed, is if the parameter wasn't even provided in the call to sprintf().

That's a coding error. Perhaps a variable name for the parameter was originally provided, but when the progress bar was implemented, the variable definition was removed. This would then fail compilation, so the sprintf() call was modified to remove the variable name, with the idea that the sprintf() call would be fixed later.

This is all pure speculation, & assumes a C/C++/C#/Java source code base.
    Hello @Snirpo

Usually I don't use AAWireless for short distances so I let my phone connected to it without using AA (blue blinking led) but when i enable Passthrough mode, the dongle reboot itself after a few seconds if I do not use AA (red led - green blinking led - blue blinking led cycle). Is this the expected behaviour in Passthrough mode ?

Thank you :)
    Yup, that's because in non-passthrough mode we keep the wireless connection alive by pinging to the phone, even when the HU side is not connected.
    In passthrough we cannot do this, so the phone side will disconnect after a 10 second timeout, this will restart the whole process.
    I got bored today, so I thought I make a mock up how the AAWireless app could look like :D When swiping t he car picture could change if you want to connect to annother device/car :D

View attachment 5645393 View attachment 5645397
    Haha nice! I'll pass it on to our UI/UX designer :) We have some UX changes in the pipeline, but it doesn't have the highest prio right now as you can imagine.
    We made some changes in firmware 2.1.0 which means we don't need these dreaded USB modes anymore. The plan is to ship devices in passthrough + dongle mode, to make it work natively, like the MA1, by default.
    Then we are going to hide away the settings in a sort of advanced settings menu, because all these settings are nice, but people don't read/understand what they do, stuff stops working and then our support has to handle it. Hardly anyone uses these settings, for example, dpi change, the most used feature, is only used on 1 percent of all devices.
    Bassicly we are KISS'ing it, but still keep advanced settings for well... You guys :)
    @everyone

For feature requests or issues, please use: https://github.com/cpebit/aawireless-issues/issues/new/choose

I getting really hard to follow this thread. Possibly I already forgot some requests of some people. Need a bit of structure. We will try to fix issues one by one from GitHub.
    Regarding the broken day / nightmode cycle:

I also have this problem, and I read a few days ago that it was due to a combination of updated Google Maps and Android Auto.

The combination which should work:

Android Auto: 7.5.621344
    Google Maps: 11.31.1

You finde all these old versions on apkmirror.com, or similar sites.

Didn't have the time to check this out myself.

I had this same problem. Found out it woud be caused to 11.31.1 and upwards. Found the solution on Google Maps Help.

I installed Maps 11.35.0 beta (from apk mirror) and all seems to work well again. My AA is level 7.7.622134 (from play store).​

Tried a lot of different variations, but my conclusion is that Maps from 11.33.1 is the culprit.
    I've been happily using AAwirelsss in my Kia Stinger, but I do have a few notes on my specific installation that others might find helpful.

Instead of using the built in start / stop detection, I made a Y cable that hooks up the USB data lines and ground to my head unit, but power is pulled from a cigarette lighter USB adapter. I don't know if this is safe on all cars, but it worked on mine.

I have quite a few devices in my car I need to share internet with, and I do not want to buy an extra hotspot., so I had to make a few tweaks on my phone to make my phone's hot spot play nice with AAwireless. In the past I simply had a macrodroid script set up so that when my bluetooth connects to the car, it started my phone's hot spot.

Unfortunately, the limited wifi connection to AAwireless seems to confuse my phone's hotspot, and it won't share any internet once connected to AAwireless.

I found the trick was to to have Macrodroid enable my hotspot, then disable wifi, forcing the hot spot to share my cellular data connection, then reenable wifi, and script connecting to AAwireless manually.

The AAwireless password is the SHA-1 of the device name in upper case.

Note: AAwireless does currently support connecting through a hot spot, but only a hot spot that isn't also your AAwireless phone. Support for connecting via your phone's built in hot spot is eventually coming, but for now the method I use above has worked well for me.
    Sounds very complex :) I'll build this feature into the next version of the app, possibly this week. Care to test?
    @Snirpo

Why don't you use a Y-cable? Data plugs into the USB and electric power from the cigarette lighter plug.
    By this you can check the voltage on the cigarette lighter plug. Is it 12.x Volts, you know the engine is off. Then you wait for a timeout of 2 minutes after the phone disconnected and turn off AAWireless. As soon as the voltage is 14.x Volts, you know that the engine is running and turn AAWireless on. You could sell this as an addon cable for people who need this.

Another solution is to make it based on vibrations/accelerations. The early bluetooth handsfree sets used a similar way to check if the door was opened. I don't know if there is a sensor on the board.

Another idea is to carefully check how stable the 5V from USB is during engine start as the ICs have to control the output voltage based on the input voltage (input voltage should drop during engine cranking). I guess you will see a voltage control behavior. I think it will drop for a short time and then go over 5V until the controller sets the 5V stable. And here you can start AAWireless. As soon as the phone disconnects keep a long enough timeout of 5 minutes or so to make sure that noone tries to reconnect. Then you can turn off AAWireless. You could sell this as an addon cable for people who need this.

These are just some ideas...
    While I do like these ideas technically. From an UX perspective I don't know.

Right now already we get complaints AAWireless is difficult to setup (while in reality it really isn't), compared to for example the MA1, this would complicate it more. I have seen a lot of support tickets, and for non-tech these things are just very hard to understand. "Why do I need an extra cable?!"

I think for the car's which have an always on USB port (Dodge RAM/Jeep) we seem to have a proper device controlled solution now (in beta).
    For other cars which keep their USB port powered for just a while after turn off its trickier, but even then the phone controlled way works for most. What's left is the edge cases, where we have to think about how to handle those.
    This thread is dedicated for AAWireless users.

AAWireless is a device which allows you to transform your existing wired Android Auto compatible unit into a Wireless Android Auto unit.

General chat, experience sharing and community support should be expected as well as support from the developers of the product: @Snirpo and myself.
    I just want to leave a big THANK YOU for the developers! You invented a great product and do a great job here.

Anyone who has ordered the product knows that it is a crowdfunding project, which may also have teething problems. I find it cheeky to get upset about problems, even though they are dealt with promptly here. What more should the distributors do than react to the problems here and offer solutions?

I also have problems with the device, but I was helped quickly. Even if it takes a few days.

Dear team: Keep up the good work!
    We fixed the "VW Headunit crashing on skipping tracks" issue now completely. Confirmed it's a bug on the HU side, latency makes it worse. We will probably push a new firmware by the end of this week.
    I will also submit a bug report to Google, cause they can fix/workaround this issue as well for cabled users.
    Hello. What's new in 1.5?
    A full changelog for each release would really be appreciated :)
    Thanks for all the hard work!
    Yes, I'll write a full changelog next week from 1.0.0 to 1.5.0 and put it on GitHub + add a link in the app.
    I've already waited patiently for delivery 3 months more than expected - I ordered In April and was coming in June but now that's looking like October. Now I read on the indiegogo forum that people in the UK are being charged an additional €27 by the Royal mail as the UK is now not in the EU.

Hi Emil!
    Just received my AAWireless, and will plug in and test tonight. Love the packaging, looks great! However… Since it was shipped from Hong Kong I was forced to pay a rather substantial import fee and duties on this bad boy. I was under the impression that they would be shipped from within the EU? Is it stands now I’m EUR 27,00 poorer :(
    2 2
    https://www.indiegogo.com/individuals/24534862
    Emil Borconi-Szedressy 2 days ago
    PROJECT OWNER
    Looks like you are in the UK which is outside EU and also there is no way to pre-pay taxes with shipping company any more either....

This is a crazy. An additional $10 was already taken for delivery and it was meant to ship from the EU. I suspect the units have been shipped by Royal Mail / Dutch post. The Royal Mail rips off people in the UK because they add another £11 in admin fees on top of the 20% VAT even though goods up to £135 should be exempt.
    See https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...s-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021

So not only has VAT been charged coming into the EU from China, it has also been charged coming into the UK ON TOP of the VAT already paid in the EU.

This is just rubbish. What the guys need to do is either ship it from Hong Kong which can cost £0.20 (there are hundreds of chinese ebay and aliexpress sellers doing this already
    See http://www.vatfraud.org/blog/stop-s...ons-universal-postal-union-upu-terminal-dues/
    The $10 postage already taken should then be refunded.

The other way round it is send the item from Hong Kong and to mark the item as a gift and providing it is below £39 there is NO VAT to pay and NO Royal mail admin fee. Actually as the original product was $57 - roughly £41.25 This wouldn't be a crime seeing as we have had to wait soo long. This could also mean the $10 delivery could be refunded

The other way is to ship it via fedex and state the ex-vat cost coming from china and then add 20% vat that the developer should be paying to the UK HMRC.

Sadly if that doesn't take place, EVERYONE IN THE UK will feel ripped off because of the poor delivery and poor choices made by the developers.

Cheers
    Disgruntled in the UK

First of all, your item wasn't shipped yet since in the June batch, so you could have not payed anything for shipping. Secondly, UK is outside the EU, there was a vote about this in 2016, so it doesn't matter if the package comes from EU or from HK or from US, it is treated the same, it's an import. If we import it from HK to EU, we will pay import VAT on the product, then when we send it to UK, we claim back that VAT and we should pay VAT in UK, since there is no more free trading between EU and UK.

Up till recently there was a nice option, to pay VAT and Import duty up-front, when you ship to the UK, but this has been changed and now they requires business outside UK to register with HMRC and do HMRC feeling even if they are residing outside UK, a lot of red tape. Since crowdfunding is not a sale, we can still ship the units to UK, but not sure if we will be able to after the IndieGoGo campaign.

We are also a EU registered company so we cannot (and will not take advantage) of any loop-holes in systems to sell at ridiculously / unrealistically cheap prices.

About the user who paid 27 euros, it turned out that user is living in DK, but provided the address as UK so his package traveled the wrong way, hence the extra duties and surcharges.

Not aware of other users from UK having to pay anything additional when they received the package.