AAWireless - General discussion and support

Search This thread

DroidShift79

Sep 11, 2012
Frankfurt am Main
OnePlus 9 Pro
Haha nice! I'll pass it on to our UI/UX designer :) We have some UX changes in the pipeline, but it doesn't have the highest prio right now as you can imagine.
We made some changes in firmware 2.1.0 which means we don't need these dreaded USB modes anymore. The plan is to ship devices in passthrough + dongle mode, to make it work natively, like the MA1, by default.
Then we are going to hide away the settings in a sort of advanced settings menu, because all these settings are nice, but people don't read/understand what they do, stuff stops working and then our support has to handle it. Hardly anyone uses these settings, for example, dpi change, the most used feature, is only used on 1 percent of all devices.
Bassicly we are KISS'ing it, but still keep advanced settings for well... You guys
That sounds great and that's the way to go. KISS it for the majority but keeping the jucy stuff in there for the advanced users. Keep up the awesome work. And High 5 the whole team!

Dangze

Dec 20, 2010
@Snirpo:
Start / Stop is a (very) usefull setting for me, as my HU keeps the power several minutes after contact switching off !...

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
@Snirpo:
Start / Stop is a (very) usefull setting for me, as my HU keeps the power several minutes after contact switching off !...
Sorry, I was talking about all the "hack / intercepting" stuff. Like dpi change, disable audio sink, timeout values etc. Start / stop is primary functionality and should actually be more prominent than it is now and part of the initial setup.

Reactions: milanxx

rayboehm

Sep 19, 2015
So if I'm reading this correctly, I should be using dongle mode and passthrough, with usb set to default?
I was on dongle mode until installing the 6/24 dev firmware. Had to do a full reset, and the only way to get it working properly was direct usb, passthrough and dongle disabled. Also had to disable start/stop, and after several combinations I was able to get the phone calls through the car speakers instead of the phone.
If there's a better way, let me know.

rayboehm

Sep 19, 2015
Just realized that since I've done a factory reset, my device number has changed. Could you add me back to the list for dev firmware? My new device number is AAWJU80j3RY.
I'm back to dongle mode enabled, default usb, passthrough enabled, and start/stop enabled.
We'll see if it sticks this time.

ForeverYoung7

Oct 18, 2021
Hi

Please fix the bug with the new Version. No GPS Signal on Google Maps makes impossible, to drive. Thank you

Last edited:

Swap_File

Apr 12, 2016
I've been happily using AAwirelsss in my Kia Stinger, but I do have a few notes on my specific installation that others might find helpful.

Instead of using the built in start / stop detection, I made a Y cable that hooks up the USB data lines and ground to my head unit, but power is pulled from a cigarette lighter USB adapter. I don't know if this is safe on all cars, but it worked on mine.

I have quite a few devices in my car I need to share internet with, and I do not want to buy an extra hotspot., so I had to make a few tweaks on my phone to make my phone's hot spot play nice with AAwireless. In the past I simply had a macrodroid script set up so that when my bluetooth connects to the car, it started my phone's hot spot.

Unfortunately, the limited wifi connection to AAwireless seems to confuse my phone's hotspot, and it won't share any internet once connected to AAwireless.

I found the trick was to to have Macrodroid enable my hotspot, then disable wifi, forcing the hot spot to share my cellular data connection, then reenable wifi, and script connecting to AAwireless manually.

The AAwireless password is the SHA-1 of the device name in upper case.

Note: AAwireless does currently support connecting through a hot spot, but only a hot spot that isn't also your AAwireless phone. Support for connecting via your phone's built in hot spot is eventually coming, but for now the method I use above has worked well for me.

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
I've been happily using AAwirelsss in my Kia Stinger, but I do have a few notes on my specific installation that others might find helpful.

Instead of using the built in start / stop detection, I made a Y cable that hooks up the USB data lines and ground to my head unit, but power is pulled from a cigarette lighter USB adapter. I don't know if this is safe on all cars, but it worked on mine.

I have quite a few devices in my car I need to share internet with, and I do not want to buy an extra hotspot., so I had to make a few tweaks on my phone to make my phone's hot spot play nice with AAwireless. In the past I simply had a macrodroid script set up so that when my bluetooth connects to the car, it started my phone's hot spot.

Unfortunately, the limited wifi connection to AAwireless seems to confuse my phone's hotspot, and it won't share any internet once connected to AAwireless.

I found the trick was to to have Macrodroid enable my hotspot, then disable wifi, forcing the hot spot to share my cellular data connection, then reenable wifi, and script connecting to AAwireless manually.

The AAwireless password is the SHA-1 of the device name in upper case.

Note: AAwireless does currently support connecting through a hot spot, but only a hot spot that isn't also your AAwireless phone. Support for connecting via your phone's built in hot spot is eventually coming, but for now the method I use above has worked well for me.
Sounds very complex :) I'll build this feature into the next version of the app, possibly this week. Care to test?

jimpoison

Dec 27, 2010
I had the same problem with GPS not working (not finding position or not moving on map) after the 2.0.2 update.
Plugging out aawireless from my car's usb, waiting a minute und plugging it back in seems to have helped, at least with the one Google maps journey I had today.
My phone (even if it is a oneplus 8t ;-) ) was definitely not responsible, GPS worked there all the time and I could navigate with the phone without any problem

Reactions: ForeverYoung7

Top Liked Posts

I wanted to add my thanks to @Snirpo and his team. They've been working tirelessly to get everything working for everyone. When you think about all of the combinations of phones, Android versions (including non-standard ROMs), Android Auto updates, head units (not just an auto manufacturer but the changes those manufacturers make to their own systems year after year, and updates) plus aftermarket systems - it's staggering how many different things have to all "just work."

I know forums are often the place people come to report their problems and ask for help, and having been on the receiving side of it myself it can sometimes be overwhelming and disheartening.

So kudos to the AAW team for everything they've done!
    I used to get the same thing. I believe it is an issue with AA/Google rather than AAW. In any event, I have had to give up on AAW as I can't connect to it/won't update, just sits there with a constant light-blue light. It is a (very expensive) paper weight on my desk now. It is just "too Beta" for my requirements.

I have now got a Carlink 2022 Android box which works flawlessly for me.
    MG ZS EV 2022
    Galaxy S21 Ultra (not rooted)
    I know I should ignore these posts, but these are the comments why I'm honestly considering completely dropping out any forum / reddit / social media. What's the point? We have support, we have warranty, we have a refund policy. It might be "beta" for you, but we shipped over 100k devices and believe me or not, for most, it just works. It's the same thing for all of these dongles. They will not work perfectly for all, there are just too many variables.
    Very close to release of 2.1.0 now. We fixed the UConnect issue, except for some cases where you still have to re-plug the device, but this is also the case on the MA1.
    I know I should ignore these posts, but these are the comments why I'm honestly considering completely dropping out any forum / reddit / social media. What's the point? We have support, we have warranty, we have a refund policy. It might be "beta" for you, but we shipped over 100k devices and believe me or not, for most, it just works. It's the same thing for all of these dongles. They will not work perfectly for all, there are just too many variables.
    I remember a post from a guy with the classic “I've been in the industry for years” claim. He said that because he had a weekly internal briefing at his workplace, you should be doing the same for us here. If you give an inch, they want a mile.

Then you have all the narcissistic Karens with zero patience that say whatever they think will get your attention so they can jump the queue. Even when you (quite rightly) post that firmware will now be staggered with no release announcement, you have an immediate request from someone with “faulty” units asking you to announce when the release will start!?!

It must be incredibly frustrating and every rational user will understand. Even if you decide against stepping back permanently, please take a lengthy break.
    @[email protected]:
    Please stop spamming this thread !
    It's been 'next week' for the last 3 or 4 weeks!
    I'm sorry, that's because we are stuck on the UConnect issue: https://github.com/cpebit/aawireless-issues/issues/128 . We were hoping to fix this issue much sooner, but it's a very hard one. Therefore we decided to lock UConnect to 1.12.0 and release 2.1.0 anyway. Possibly we should've made this decision earlier, but we didn't.

Again, for most 2.1.0 will not matter in any way. Mainly for cars with SSL related issues, so non-passthrough mode will work again.

With about 100k devices, we cannot just release a firmware anymore. We need at least a few weeks to test it properly. If we make a mistake it will overload support and it can harm us a lot.

I'm so stupid to say it will be released "next week" every time. From now on we will not give any ETA's anymore. It's done when it's done.

Also, when we push an update. It will be rolled out incrementally. At this point we cannot do mass roll outs anymore (except for bug fix releases), because there are too many variables. So even when we release this week, it may take a while for you to actually get the firmware.
    This thread is dedicated for AAWireless users.

AAWireless is a device which allows you to transform your existing wired Android Auto compatible unit into a Wireless Android Auto unit.

General chat, experience sharing and community support should be expected as well as support from the developers of the product: @Snirpo and myself.
    I used to get the same thing. I believe it is an issue with AA/Google rather than AAW. In any event, I have had to give up on AAW as I can't connect to it/won't update, just sits there with a constant light-blue light. It is a (very expensive) paper weight on my desk now. It is just "too Beta" for my requirements.

I have now got a Carlink 2022 Android box which works flawlessly for me.
    MG ZS EV 2022
    Galaxy S21 Ultra (not rooted)
    I just want to leave a big THANK YOU for the developers! You invented a great product and do a great job here.

Anyone who has ordered the product knows that it is a crowdfunding project, which may also have teething problems. I find it cheeky to get upset about problems, even though they are dealt with promptly here. What more should the distributors do than react to the problems here and offer solutions?

I also have problems with the device, but I was helped quickly. Even if it takes a few days.

Dear team: Keep up the good work!
    We fixed the "VW Headunit crashing on skipping tracks" issue now completely. Confirmed it's a bug on the HU side, latency makes it worse. We will probably push a new firmware by the end of this week.
    I will also submit a bug report to Google, cause they can fix/workaround this issue as well for cabled users.
    Hello. What's new in 1.5?
    A full changelog for each release would really be appreciated :)
    Thanks for all the hard work!
    Yes, I'll write a full changelog next week from 1.0.0 to 1.5.0 and put it on GitHub + add a link in the app.