AAWireless - General discussion and support

Search This thread

zengshengliu

Aug 28, 2012
Can someone assist me with the client mode setup?
I have firmware 2.0.2, phone is Samsung Galaxy S10+, and Mercedes MBUX system. The regular wifi mode works for wireless AA, but when I try to setup the client mode by entering the in car hotspot information, the device is just stuck with white light. I entered and double check to make sure that the SSID and password is correct, and also has the car headunit bluetooth selected. The AAWireless notification said it is connected to the unit itself. I also see Android Auto notification (on phone) show up saying something like searching (or connecting) to Android auto, but after a few seconds, it just disappear (normally it will have a "Connected" persistence notification when connected)

ForeverYoung7

Oct 18, 2021
Reactions: DroidShift79

DeanGibson

Apr 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
Great work ! :(

When I fired up the AAW app, it said an update to 2.0.2 was available. When I tapped that, it asked if I wanted to download on a metered connection, & I said yes. It then started to display progress info at the top of the screen, & then almost immediately quit. Repeatable.

Why do I believe that this is a software error? Because the progress info was " % %d %", which means that someone screwed up an 'sprintf' function call.

This used to work correctly.

EDIT:

The above info was from attempting the update while AA was running on the car/AAW/phone.

When I tried again a few hours later, I did not give AA a chance to start, & the update to 2.0.2 worked perfectly, & I did not see the 'sprintf' error.

Last edited:
Reactions: osm0sis

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
Great work! :(

When I fired up the AAW app, it said an update to 2.0.2 was available. When I tapped that, it asked if I wanted to download on a metered connection, & I said yes. It then started to display progress info at the top of the screen, & then almost immediately quit. Repeatable.

Why do I believe that this is a software error? Because the progress info was " % %d %", which means that someone screwed up an 'sprintf' function call.

This used to work correctly.

EDIT:

The above info was from attempting the update while AA was running on the car/AAW/phone.

When I tried again a few hours later, I did not give AA a chance to start, & the update to 2.0.2 worked perfectly, & I did not see the 'sprintf' error.
I'll check. We've been having some backend issues lately, so that's probably the cause. The sprintf thingy is probably a side effect of that.

Reactions: ForeverYoung7

osm0sis

Senior Recognized Developer / Contributor
Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Google Nexus 4
I'll check. We've been having some backend issues lately, so that's probably the cause. The sprintf thingy is probably a side effect of that.
I've noticed that " % %d %" flashes briefly at the beginning of every update actually, so unless fixed with the last app updates is likely still an issue somewhere. 🙂

Last edited:
Reactions: DeanGibson

DeanGibson

Apr 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
It's in the spot where the percentage is calculated/displayed. My guess is there's an initial value of nul/100 or something that %d can't display.
"%d" will take the first 32 or 64 bits (depending upon the CPU architecture) of the parameter (fixed point, floating point, graphic data, music data, whatever), interpret it as a fixed point integer, & display it. The only reason that the "%d" is displayed, is if the parameter wasn't even provided in the call to sprintf().

That's a coding error. Perhaps a variable name for the parameter was originally provided, but when the progress bar was implemented, the variable definition was removed. This would then fail compilation, so the sprintf() call was modified to remove the variable name, with the idea that the sprintf() call would be fixed later.

This is all pure speculation, & assumes a C/C++/C#/Java source code base.

Reactions: osm0sis

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
"%d" will take the first 32 or 64 bits (depending upon the CPU architecture) of the parameter (fixed point, floating point, graphic data, music data, whatever), interpret it as a fixed point integer, & display it. The only reason that the "%d" is displayed, is if the parameter wasn't even provided in the call to sprintf().

That's a coding error. Perhaps a variable name for the parameter was originally provided, but when the progress bar was implemented, the variable definition was removed. This would then fail compilation, so the sprintf() call was modified to remove the variable name, with the idea that the sprintf() call would be fixed later.

This is all pure speculation, & assumes a C/C++/C#/Java source code base.
It's exactly that, param was missing. Has nothing to do with progress indicator though, progress indicator has been in there since the beginning :) Param missing has also been in there since the beginning, no body noticed apparently.

Spoonoid

Oct 13, 2014
Can you possibly download the Alpha app from: https://appdistribution.firebase.dev/i/5196d378c8e122d7 . This version has debug logs enabled you I can see what's happening (or not happening in this case :) ).
I'm on 2.0.0 firmware.
I was unable to capture debug logs.
The device was connected to a charging USB, outside the car. After booting, the led was blinking green, and after some time it turns yellow (not white).
On the AAW app, when pressing on the bug report, an error message said that it was unable to communicate with the device. After like 3 or 4 attempts, it started to capture logs, the led began blinking green really fast. I tried updating, but the led turn yellow after a few seconds and when returning to the bug report, it was inactive...
I tried resetting multiple times, clearing cache left and right... Something that I can try ? It was working reaaaaally great for more than a year now, I don't know if the 2.0.0 update broke something or if I'm unlucky now.

Marsou77

Feb 2, 2011
Earth
Hello @Snirpo

Usually I don't use AAWireless for short distances so I let my phone connected to it without using AA (blue blinking led) but when i enable Passthrough mode, the dongle reboot itself after a few seconds if I do not use AA (red led - green blinking led - blue blinking led cycle). Is this the expected behaviour in Passthrough mode ?

Thank you :)

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
I'm on 2.0.0 firmware.
I was unable to capture debug logs.
The device was connected to a charging USB, outside the car. After booting, the led was blinking green, and after some time it turns yellow (not white).
On the AAW app, when pressing on the bug report, an error message said that it was unable to communicate with the device. After like 3 or 4 attempts, it started to capture logs, the led began blinking green really fast. I tried updating, but the led turn yellow after a few seconds and when returning to the bug report, it was inactive...
I tried resetting multiple times, clearing cache left and right... Something that I can try ? It was working reaaaaally great for more than a year now, I don't know if the 2.0.0 update broke something or if I'm unlucky now.
Really confusing. Not sure what's happening. Are you trying to update and in the meantime creating a bug report?

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
Hello @Snirpo

Usually I don't use AAWireless for short distances so I let my phone connected to it without using AA (blue blinking led) but when i enable Passthrough mode, the dongle reboot itself after a few seconds if I do not use AA (red led - green blinking led - blue blinking led cycle). Is this the expected behaviour in Passthrough mode ?

Thank you :)
Yup, that's because in non-passthrough mode we keep the wireless connection alive by pinging to the phone, even when the HU side is not connected.
In passthrough we cannot do this, so the phone side will disconnect after a 10 second timeout, this will restart the whole process.

Reactions: Marsou77

ilbarba77

Oct 10, 2011
Hi, every time I use the AAW, it automatically restarts after a few minutes, then reboots and goes back to work.
How can I solve this ?
Attached are my settings

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 42

DroidShift79

Sep 11, 2012
Frankfurt am Main
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hi, every time I use the AAW, it automatically restarts after a few minutes, then reboots and goes back to work.
How can I solve this ?
Attached are my settings
Try to use the USB MTP Mode. Or MTP + Retry Mode.

Maybe firmware 2.10 rolls out for all, soon. Since at least a week I have no issues anymore with the latest 2.10 version. No more fiddling with USB Modes.
I'm running dongle Mode + Start/Stop + DPI Settings ( For my Swing Infotainment system with 6,5" Display, setting DPI to 103 is brillant)

Last edited:

rayboehm

Sep 19, 2015
Hmmm... I didn't know that, but when I not enable Start/Stop, while in dongle mode, i have connection issues when I come back to the ca

Hmmm... I didn't know that, but when I not enable Start/Stop, while in dongle mode, i have connection issues when I come back to the car
Probably depends on the vehicle or headunit. For what it's worth, I set mine to default USB, passthrough and dongle mode enabled, and start/stop disabled. On the 2.10 firmware it has been working flawlessly for days.

Top Liked Posts

? for you... On the AA Wireless Adapter for Android shipping from Amazon, what firmware # is loaded on them.. I have been told by fellow Wrangler JL owner to roll back to / to only use firmware version 1.8 . When I receive my dongle from Amazon on 8/30/22 I want to be sure it has only 1.8 firmware. Thanks for you reply.. I am Rhinebeck01 in this thread talking MA1. IF I have success with AA Wireless dongle I will be posting about it.. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...1-wireless-android-adapter.86856/post-2054720
    It will arrive with 1.12.0, which is equal to 1.8 (gen1 vs gen2). No dongles are shipping from factory with 2.x yet.
    UConnect is still blacklisted in the backend from 2.x. However we will soon remove this blacklist, because firmware 2.1.0 should work fine with UConnect.

2.1.0 will also have a firmware based workaround/hack coming up.

This is not a problem in AAWireless, but in Android Auto/HU. MA1 has the same issue, confirmed with @psmedley .

Kinda odd AAGateway works, have to check what's different over there. Did you ever use The AAGateway solution before on this car?

EDIT: Actually think I might know why AAGateway works. Do you by any chance have the "Non ROOT mode" option enabled in AAGateway? When "Non ROOT mode" is enabled, AAGateway does the same "hack" as AAWireless does with firmware 2.1.0.
    Thanks!
    Works for me now :)
    I used to get the same thing. I believe it is an issue with AA/Google rather than AAW. In any event, I have had to give up on AAW as I can't connect to it/won't update, just sits there with a constant light-blue light. It is a (very expensive) paper weight on my desk now. It is just "too Beta" for my requirements.

I have now got a Carlink 2022 Android box which works flawlessly for me.
    MG ZS EV 2022
    Galaxy S21 Ultra (not rooted)
    I know I should ignore these posts, but these are the comments why I'm honestly considering completely dropping out any forum / reddit / social media. What's the point? We have support, we have warranty, we have a refund policy. It might be "beta" for you, but we shipped over 100k devices and believe me or not, for most, it just works. It's the same thing for all of these dongles. They will not work perfectly for all, there are just too many variables.
    Very close to release of 2.1.0 now. We fixed the UConnect issue, except for some cases where you still have to re-plug the device, but this is also the case on the MA1.
    @Snirpo
    in the development version of the AAWireless app the start/stop settings have experimental settings which are greyed-out and cannot be selected. If I had the firmware 2.1.0 would they then be active?
    In dev app yes. Production app no. We'll start rollout of 2.1.0 this evening.
    I know I should ignore these posts, but these are the comments why I'm honestly considering completely dropping out any forum / reddit / social media. What's the point? We have support, we have warranty, we have a refund policy. It might be "beta" for you, but we shipped over 100k devices and believe me or not, for most, it just works. It's the same thing for all of these dongles. They will not work perfectly for all, there are just too many variables.
    I remember a post from a guy with the classic “I've been in the industry for years” claim. He said that because he had a weekly internal briefing at his workplace, you should be doing the same for us here. If you give an inch, they want a mile.

Then you have all the narcissistic Karens with zero patience that say whatever they think will get your attention so they can jump the queue. Even when you (quite rightly) post that firmware will now be staggered with no release announcement, you have an immediate request from someone with “faulty” units asking you to announce when the release will start!?!

It must be incredibly frustrating and every rational user will understand. Even if you decide against stepping back permanently, please take a lengthy break.
    @[email protected]:
    Please stop spamming this thread !
    This thread is dedicated for AAWireless users.

AAWireless is a device which allows you to transform your existing wired Android Auto compatible unit into a Wireless Android Auto unit.

General chat, experience sharing and community support should be expected as well as support from the developers of the product: @Snirpo and myself.
    I used to get the same thing. I believe it is an issue with AA/Google rather than AAW. In any event, I have had to give up on AAW as I can't connect to it/won't update, just sits there with a constant light-blue light. It is a (very expensive) paper weight on my desk now. It is just "too Beta" for my requirements.

I have now got a Carlink 2022 Android box which works flawlessly for me.
    MG ZS EV 2022
    Galaxy S21 Ultra (not rooted)
    I just want to leave a big THANK YOU for the developers! You invented a great product and do a great job here.

Anyone who has ordered the product knows that it is a crowdfunding project, which may also have teething problems. I find it cheeky to get upset about problems, even though they are dealt with promptly here. What more should the distributors do than react to the problems here and offer solutions?

I also have problems with the device, but I was helped quickly. Even if it takes a few days.

Dear team: Keep up the good work!
    Very close to release of 2.1.0 now. We fixed the UConnect issue, except for some cases where you still have to re-plug the device, but this is also the case on the MA1.
    We fixed the "VW Headunit crashing on skipping tracks" issue now completely. Confirmed it's a bug on the HU side, latency makes it worse. We will probably push a new firmware by the end of this week.
    I will also submit a bug report to Google, cause they can fix/workaround this issue as well for cabled users.