AAWireless - General discussion and support

Search This thread

amirage

Also depends on what apps your running btw. But this is the nature of the beast unfortunately. Wifi + Bluetooth + mobile data + video rendering is a drainer. I've never seen 1 percent battery a minute before though...
Might I add the type of device to the list you have mentioned above? It seems the device chipset also has a major play in the drain. Apparently, mid-range chipsets perform better than high-end ones when it comes to AA wireless. FYI, I was running Waze and Tidal on my 20 min drive home. Started the trip at 70%, and arrived home at 49%...anyways, the moral of the story is wireless aa is as good as the wireless charging capabilities of the car. I wonder how the situation is with wireless Apple carplay.

Swap_File

Apr 12, 2016
This isn't a AAwireless problem, just another observation of running a hot spot while using AAwireless. I'm on an OnePlus 8Pro running android 12, version c21.

I noticed that if I save AAwireless's password, connect to AAwireless and then try to use my phone's hot spot functionality, my phone will default to trying to share my non existant wifi internet. This shows up as "WiFi sharing" in the notification.

But if I don't save the connection, and let AAwireless connect on its own, my phone's hot spot will default to sharing my mobile data connection. This shows up as "Mobile hot spot" in the notification.

sidamos77

Nov 8, 2012
I just got AAWireless and it works fine on default settings with my Samsung Galaxy A52s and Renault R-Link Evolution.

One thing is a bit annoying: When connection is established, the car unit asks if I want to start Android Auto. If I say NO, the same question comes again 10s later. This does not happen with the USB cable connection.

Any workaround for that? Thanks!

TheUntouchable

Jul 14, 2010
Germany
Huawei P30 Pro
I just got AAWireless and it works fine on default settings with my Samsung Galaxy A52s and Renault R-Link Evolution.

One thing is a bit annoying: When connection is established, the car unit asks if I want to start Android Auto. If I say NO, the same question comes again 10s later. This does not happen with the USB cable connection.

I think there is an option called "Auto Video Fokus" in the aawireless app. Try to disable that if activated, its disabled by default. ALso there is a option in the Android Auto app for starting itself when connected I think

Last edited:

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007

I think this is because it's thinking the connection has failed, it will then restart the connection in 10 seconds. Not sure if this happens because of the phone side or AAWireless itself. Could you possibly shoot in a bug report via the app? (Help and support --> bug report). So I can check what's happening.

sibesaver

Sep 30, 2010
Moore, OK

Might try out these settings also in AA.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220702-120624.png
    Screenshot_20220702-120624.png
    184.5 KB · Views: 37

sidamos77

Nov 8, 2012
I think there is an option called "Auto Video Fokus" in the aawireless app. Try to disable that if activated, its disabled by default. ALso there is a option in the Android Auto app for starting itself when connected I think
This is not enabled.
I think this is because it's thinking the connection has failed, it will then restart the connection in 10 seconds. Not sure if this happens because of the phone side or AAWireless itself. Could you possibly shoot in a bug report via the app? (Help and support --> bug report). So I can check what's happening.
This sounds logical. I created a bug report.
Might try out these settings also in AA.
This is on default (let car decide).
Of course, because if you USB connect your phone, that means that you intend to use AA !...
Of course. Still, when I connect via USB (maybe to only charge), I can deny once and then the question does not come back.

Marsou77

Feb 2, 2011
Earth
Thanks for the input Snirpo, just for the sake of curiosity I will swap to default mode.
I have lags and audio chopping also (when two apps collides) but afaik that is a HU hardware limitation.
I've got used to them so they don't bother me thaaat much, but solving random disconnects would be fantastic.
Happy to help with logs or anything else that helps this wonderfull project.
Hello, maybe I'm late to the party but I came across your post.

Lately I have tested a lot of configuration settings with my AAW and a NAC Wave 2 (Peugeot 208) and the most suitable I found is the following

-- AAW settings:
* Passthrough disabled
* Dongle disabled
-- Phone settings
* Google Driving Assistant disabled

Everything run really well, almost no lag when listening to Spotify and navigating with Maps. No disconnection either.

Hope it can help :)

Reactions: elbubi

valeri_s_k

Aug 24, 2020
Bourgas
Reboot phone to connect
I would like to share my experience. Just found this morning that AA does not connect to my phone. Restarted AAW a few times: no joy.
Only after I rebooted my phone, it connected without a problem.
Inspecting the phone revealed that Maps had been updated last night (to version 11.36.2). I recall that I had to reboot the phone a few weeks earlier in order to connect.
Would the update of Maps cause this?
Anyone else saw this on his/her phone?

My AAwireless: 2.0.2
My phone: Poco X3 NFC (rom: Pixel Experience Android 12.1)
My car: MG EHS PHEV 2021
Hi @bertsmelik,
It is known MIUI has an issue with wireless AA by cutting wifi when losess/reconnects to mobile network.
How it is with PE?
Can you test it - when connected to wireless AA try to disable/re-enable mobile data and see if AA disconnects?

bertsmelik

Jan 12, 2014
Ridderkerk
Hi @bertsmelik,
It is known MIUI has an issue with wireless AA by cutting wifi when losess/reconnects to mobile network.
How it is with PE?
Can you test it - when connected to wireless AA try to disable/re-enable mobile data and see if AA disconnects?
PE is not MIUI, IT is a custom rom baard on AOSP and Pixel. Gui is from Pixel.
WiFi works very well in PE. Trier tout suggestion, but no différence.
I can live with this phenomenon, just reboot in case of aaw connection Problem.

elbubi

May 12, 2013
Hello, maybe I'm late to the party but I came across your post.

Lately I have tested a lot of configuration settings with my AAW and a NAC Wave 2 (Peugeot 208) and the most suitable I found is the following

-- AAW settings:
* Passthrough disabled
* Dongle disabled
-- Phone settings
* Google Driving Assistant disabled

Everything run really well, almost no lag when listening to Spotify and navigating with Maps. No disconnection either.

Hope it can help :)
Thanks for the tip Marsou.
I've tried that combination in the past (actually using passthrough enabled + dongle enabled), and still had lags and hiccups.
Had tried with cable and no lags or chopping sound neither, so its not a HU hardware limitation as I previously thought.
Nevertheless, I will try it again and report back.
Cheers!

Top Liked Posts

Had to reinstall my Android. Afterwards, I noticed that the Assistant no longer works - it detects "Hey Google"/"OK Google", the audio bars move as if it hears my voice - but commands aren't being recognized (the "oops" message).
    How to re-enable Assistant? BTW, it does work on my cellphone, when not connected to the car.
    there is a setting for this in settings,apps,app management,android auto, additional settings in app
    At this moment we have shut down all OTA updates unfortunately. The load on our backend is too high. Too long without maintenance because of other priorities. We have to optimize some stuff to make it work again.
    It's working again :)
    @[email protected]:
    Please stop spamming this thread !
    We are going to revert some changes and release 2.1.0 officially next week. In the meantime we are testing some start issues on UConnect HU's and some other issues.

@Snirpo
    a feature that has been desired for a long time is that you can easily switch between two cell phones. As far as I can remember, one of your team wrote somewhere that a good solution is being worked on. is this still the case? Is there a time horizon when this can be expected? for example a specific quarter or year? I mainly ask because if the wrong mobile phone connects, it is sometimes impossible to connect the other one without switching off the mobile phone, since Bluetooth and WLAN are activated again too quickly depending on the mobile phone.
    Kind Regards

We want to do this, but "Dongle mode", which is how AA natively works with dongles, makes this feature a bit useless. Dongle mode makes only the phone connected to handsfree of the car start up AA. So you cannot really switch phones anymore, cause even if you switch phones from the AAW side, only the phone currently connected to handsfree of the car can start up AA. It might work for cars which support multiple handsfree connections, but that's most likely only a small part of the market.

At this point our main objective is to squash as many bugs as we can, and make the dongle as native as possible, so we get the product as plug and play as possible. Possibly in Q3/Q4 we can play around a bit with new features.
    It's been 'next week' for the last 3 or 4 weeks!
    I'm sorry, that's because we are stuck on the UConnect issue: https://github.com/cpebit/aawireless-issues/issues/128 . We were hoping to fix this issue much sooner, but it's a very hard one. Therefore we decided to lock UConnect to 1.12.0 and release 2.1.0 anyway. Possibly we should've made this decision earlier, but we didn't.

Again, for most 2.1.0 will not matter in any way. Mainly for cars with SSL related issues, so non-passthrough mode will work again.

With about 100k devices, we cannot just release a firmware anymore. We need at least a few weeks to test it properly. If we make a mistake it will overload support and it can harm us a lot.

I'm so stupid to say it will be released "next week" every time. From now on we will not give any ETA's anymore. It's done when it's done.

Also, when we push an update. It will be rolled out incrementally. At this point we cannot do mass roll outs anymore (except for bug fix releases), because there are too many variables. So even when we release this week, it may take a while for you to actually get the firmware.
    is there any way to get a manual update then? version 1.1.0 does not work on my headunit so did i just buy a paper weight?
    Wow, really? You may have bought a paper weight? You said that?

Do you have ANY idea of what is going on here? And that yes, you'll be updating as soon as possible. While you wait to update your paper weight why don't you have a read of the 200+ pages of this thread and edumacate yourself.

The AAW Team go above and beyond, they deserve better, and if you're on here you should know the complexity of what this device does, which is more than any other on the market.
    This thread is dedicated for AAWireless users.

AAWireless is a device which allows you to transform your existing wired Android Auto compatible unit into a Wireless Android Auto unit.

General chat, experience sharing and community support should be expected as well as support from the developers of the product: @Snirpo and myself.
    I just want to leave a big THANK YOU for the developers! You invented a great product and do a great job here.

Anyone who has ordered the product knows that it is a crowdfunding project, which may also have teething problems. I find it cheeky to get upset about problems, even though they are dealt with promptly here. What more should the distributors do than react to the problems here and offer solutions?

I also have problems with the device, but I was helped quickly. Even if it takes a few days.

Dear team: Keep up the good work!
    We fixed the "VW Headunit crashing on skipping tracks" issue now completely. Confirmed it's a bug on the HU side, latency makes it worse. We will probably push a new firmware by the end of this week.
    I will also submit a bug report to Google, cause they can fix/workaround this issue as well for cabled users.
    I've already waited patiently for delivery 3 months more than expected - I ordered In April and was coming in June but now that's looking like October. Now I read on the indiegogo forum that people in the UK are being charged an additional €27 by the Royal mail as the UK is now not in the EU.

Hi Emil!
    Just received my AAWireless, and will plug in and test tonight. Love the packaging, looks great! However… Since it was shipped from Hong Kong I was forced to pay a rather substantial import fee and duties on this bad boy. I was under the impression that they would be shipped from within the EU? Is it stands now I’m EUR 27,00 poorer :(
    2 2
    https://www.indiegogo.com/individuals/24534862
    Emil Borconi-Szedressy 2 days ago
    PROJECT OWNER
    Looks like you are in the UK which is outside EU and also there is no way to pre-pay taxes with shipping company any more either....

This is a crazy. An additional $10 was already taken for delivery and it was meant to ship from the EU. I suspect the units have been shipped by Royal Mail / Dutch post. The Royal Mail rips off people in the UK because they add another £11 in admin fees on top of the 20% VAT even though goods up to £135 should be exempt.
    See https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...s-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021

So not only has VAT been charged coming into the EU from China, it has also been charged coming into the UK ON TOP of the VAT already paid in the EU.

This is just rubbish. What the guys need to do is either ship it from Hong Kong which can cost £0.20 (there are hundreds of chinese ebay and aliexpress sellers doing this already
    See http://www.vatfraud.org/blog/stop-s...ons-universal-postal-union-upu-terminal-dues/
    The $10 postage already taken should then be refunded.

The other way round it is send the item from Hong Kong and to mark the item as a gift and providing it is below £39 there is NO VAT to pay and NO Royal mail admin fee. Actually as the original product was $57 - roughly £41.25 This wouldn't be a crime seeing as we have had to wait soo long. This could also mean the $10 delivery could be refunded

The other way is to ship it via fedex and state the ex-vat cost coming from china and then add 20% vat that the developer should be paying to the UK HMRC.

Sadly if that doesn't take place, EVERYONE IN THE UK will feel ripped off because of the poor delivery and poor choices made by the developers.

Cheers
    Disgruntled in the UK

First of all, your item wasn't shipped yet since in the June batch, so you could have not payed anything for shipping. Secondly, UK is outside the EU, there was a vote about this in 2016, so it doesn't matter if the package comes from EU or from HK or from US, it is treated the same, it's an import. If we import it from HK to EU, we will pay import VAT on the product, then when we send it to UK, we claim back that VAT and we should pay VAT in UK, since there is no more free trading between EU and UK.

Up till recently there was a nice option, to pay VAT and Import duty up-front, when you ship to the UK, but this has been changed and now they requires business outside UK to register with HMRC and do HMRC feeling even if they are residing outside UK, a lot of red tape. Since crowdfunding is not a sale, we can still ship the units to UK, but not sure if we will be able to after the IndieGoGo campaign.

We are also a EU registered company so we cannot (and will not take advantage) of any loop-holes in systems to sell at ridiculously / unrealistically cheap prices.

About the user who paid 27 euros, it turned out that user is living in DK, but provided the address as UK so his package traveled the wrong way, hence the extra duties and surcharges.

Not aware of other users from UK having to pay anything additional when they received the package.
    Hello. What's new in 1.5?
    A full changelog for each release would really be appreciated :)
    Thanks for all the hard work!
    Yes, I'll write a full changelog next week from 1.0.0 to 1.5.0 and put it on GitHub + add a link in the app.