AAWireless - General discussion and support

Search This thread

pittrich

Nov 13, 2009
Berlin
Google Pixel 4a
Google Pixel 5
Hey @pittrich and @WestHej. I have a Pixel 5 as well and have been experiencing issues when the audio drops out randomly out of nowhere and won't come back until I reboot the AAWireless unit (by pulling the USB plug and replugging it in). AA interface still stays up and works perfectly, solid blue light is still on the unit, it 's just that the audio is gone permanently until I power cycle. Is this what you meant when you said 'audio drop outs'?

I'm on the 2.0.2 firmware and app version 2.21.0. Everything is default except I have 'Passthrough' and 'Dongle Mode' enabled.

If this is a new issue, is there any way that I can capture logs of this happening and send it to devs for analysis? This happened to me on two separate occasions today after about 1 month of zero issues.
What kind of car with which head unit do you have?

smirle

Aug 23, 2009
What kind of car with which head unit do you have?
I have a 2019 Kia Stinger with the standard OEM head unit. Nothing aftermarket or anything. AAWireless unit is plugged in, velcro'd in place in a sectioned off compartment using the cable that came with the unit. Definitely a software issue of some kind, either with AAWIreless, my phone's Android Auto, or the car's software.

pittrich

Nov 13, 2009
Berlin
Google Pixel 4a
Google Pixel 5
I have a 2019 Kia Stinger with the standard OEM head unit. Nothing aftermarket or anything. AAWireless unit is plugged in, velcro'd in place in a sectioned off compartment using the cable that came with the unit. Definitely a software issue of some kind, either with AAWIreless, my phone's Android Auto, or the car's software.
I think you should address @Snirpo directly. He can certainly help you.

Everything works wonderfully on my Opel with Intellilink.

smirle

Aug 23, 2009
I think you should address @Snirpo directly. He can certainly help you.

Everything works wonderfully on my Opel with Intellilink.
@Snirpo can I get on the latest 2.1.0 beta to see if it eliminates my permanent audio dropouts that require a reboot? My device is AAWhiR8mpGW

I'm also happy to capture logs when this happens if that's possible/helpful! Just let me know how I can do that.

Reactions: pittrich

zepatko

Nov 9, 2021
@Snirpo : Can you please add me for beta firmware 2.1.0 ?
I have a Kia, so forced to use "Passthrough mode" since last update of the unit.

My device is : Zhw6ywcM

Many thanks in advance !

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
@Snirpo can I get on the latest 2.1.0 beta to see if it eliminates my permanent audio dropouts that require a reboot? My device is AAWhiR8mpGW

I'm also happy to capture logs when this happens if that's possible/helpful! Just let me know how I can do that.
Never heard of this before. I enabled the develop firmware, but I'm pretty sure it won't help. Please try passthrough before updating.

smirle

Aug 23, 2009
Never heard of this before. I enabled the develop firmware, but I'm pretty sure it won't help. Please try passthrough before updating.
Thanks for doing this. I'll upgrade later today.

I already have had both 'passthrough' and 'dongle' modes enabled since the 2.0.0 update. I've made no changes or tweaks other than enabling those two.

Are there any other recommended settings that I should use to make this as close to the native wired AA experience as possible? Are there any logs or data that I can send you if/when this happens again?

Also, I would love to see an option in the app to do a soft reboot on the AAWIreless unit so I don't have to unplug/replug again if this happens. Actually a means to do this from the AA interface itself would be really cool!

munky-head

Mar 8, 2011
Xiaomi Mi 9
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Had to reinstall my Android. Afterwards, I noticed that the Assistant no longer works - it detects "Hey Google"/"OK Google", the audio bars move as if it hears my voice - but commands aren't being recognized (the "oops" message).
How to re-enable Assistant? BTW, it does work on my cellphone, when not connected to the car.

martin.armstrong

Feb 22, 2019
Had to reinstall my Android. Afterwards, I noticed that the Assistant no longer works - it detects "Hey Google"/"OK Google", the audio bars move as if it hears my voice - but commands aren't being recognized (the "oops" message).
How to re-enable Assistant? BTW, it does work on my cellphone, when not connected to the car.
there is a setting for this in settings,apps,app management,android auto, additional settings in app

Reactions: munky-head

Whiskery

Jul 7, 2022
It's on and still doesn't work for me.
Just to clarify, it does detect 'Hey Google', just ignores the actual command (even though it does hear voice, as reflected by the bars moving).
I used to get the same thing. I believe it is an issue with AA/Google rather than AAW. In any event, I have had to give up on AAW as I can't connect to it/won't update, just sits there with a constant light-blue light. It is a (very expensive) paper weight on my desk now. It is just "too Beta" for my requirements.

I have now got a Carlink 2022 Android box which works flawlessly for me.
MG ZS EV 2022
Galaxy S21 Ultra (not rooted)

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
I used to get the same thing. I believe it is an issue with AA/Google rather than AAW. In any event, I have had to give up on AAW as I can't connect to it/won't update, just sits there with a constant light-blue light. It is a (very expensive) paper weight on my desk now. It is just "too Beta" for my requirements.

MG ZS EV 2022
I know I should ignore these posts, but these are the comments why I'm honestly considering completely dropping out any forum / reddit / social media. What's the point? We have support, we have warranty, we have a refund policy. It might be "beta" for you, but we shipped over 100k devices and believe me or not, for most, it just works. It's the same thing for all of these dongles. They will not work perfectly for all, there are just too many variables.

C0V3T3R

Aug 10, 2022
Ordered mine 2 weeks ago, still waiting for the shipment to move. Anyways, was curious if it is possible to use AAWireless for everything else but Audio/Music?
Have noticed my HeadUnit doesnt give a good sound when i use Android Auto but the same file songs are awesome quality when streamed through Bluetooth,

Area51©

Aug 30, 2013
Breda
Ordered mine 2 weeks ago, still waiting for the shipment to move. Anyways, was curious if it is possible to use AAWireless for everything else but Audio/Music?
Have noticed my HeadUnit doesnt give a good sound when i use Android Auto but the same file songs are awesome quality when streamed through Bluetooth,
No that's not possible. Audio and video streaming uses the same channel, wifi in this case.

Top Liked Posts

Nobody seems to answer by humble question quoted below.Anyone please give me the advice whether Android Auto will work with VIVO X FOLD or OPPO N FIND FOLD Phone.
    Waiting with thanks...
    If they don't work with Android Auto via USB cable or wirelessly then they will also not work with the AAWireless dongle.
    How do I do this? Over USB?
    Connect through wifi (wifi password is the uppercased sha1 of the SSID). Then download from http://10.42.1.1:8000
    I'm still using the Ottocast in one of the cars. Now something finally makes sense as it only says Carplay and it's been confusing since the start. There is a great new startup UI that is a big improvement, that I think is in beta. The first was terrible at connections but the second connects up rock solid every time. It does have some audio issues but seems to be getting better each time. I didn't find the FW update process to be difficult.

I may swap this with the other VW to test the Assistant audio issue I have.
    We're also looking into doing AA via CarPlay protocol. This will definitely help on some cars with horrible Android Auto implementation.
    The bug in MIUI is there for around a year. It has same behavior with native (factory) enabled wireless Android auto units. So until you stay with MIUI you can't use wireless AA even if you buy new car.
    To enjoy wireless AA, IMO there are two options only:
    - change the phone
    - unlock bootloader and flash an AOSP rom (this is what I did and all working great on Mi 11 (venus)

By the way, once you try wireless Android auto (does not matter native or by any dongle on the market), you will never regret for changing the rom or the phone....
    Here's the same problem on an MA1:
    In general I'd advice NOT to buy an Xiaomi phone if you want to use Android Auto Wireless. They have been sh*t since the beginning. Older MIUI had no mobile internet while using AA Wireless. MIUI > 12.5 has these disconnection issues when mobile network reconnects.
    Huawei is also horrible for Android Auto Wireless.
    We decided to only support phones from the official list of Google (https://support.google.com/androida...py=,android-auto-on-your-car-display-wireless), cause it's just not maintainable anymore.
    Yeah I don't know, theoretically (and possibly als practically) we could implement something like Miracast. Personally I'd never use it. I think screen mirroring sucks. But if there's lots of demand for it, I guess we could look into it.
    I guess we can open some kind of poll for features. First need a list of features though.
    I'm afraid I'm going to have to wait before purchasing until the miui bug is sorted out by xiaomi and who knows when this is going to be
    The bug in MIUI is there for around a year. It has same behavior with native (factory) enabled wireless Android auto units. So until you stay with MIUI you can't use wireless AA even if you buy new car.
    To enjoy wireless AA, IMO there are two options only:
    - change the phone
    - unlock bootloader and flash an AOSP rom (this is what I did and all working great on Mi 11 (venus)

By the way, once you try wireless Android auto (does not matter native or by any dongle on the market), you will never regret for changing the rom or the phone....
    Nobody seems to answer by humble question quoted below.Anyone please give me the advice whether Android Auto will work with VIVO X FOLD or OPPO N FIND FOLD Phone.
    Waiting with thanks...
    If they don't work with Android Auto via USB cable or wirelessly then they will also not work with the AAWireless dongle.
    This thread is dedicated for AAWireless users.

AAWireless is a device which allows you to transform your existing wired Android Auto compatible unit into a Wireless Android Auto unit.

General chat, experience sharing and community support should be expected as well as support from the developers of the product: @Snirpo and myself.

MG ZS EV 2022
    I know I should ignore these posts, but these are the comments why I'm honestly considering completely dropping out any forum / reddit / social media. What's the point? We have support, we have warranty, we have a refund policy. It might be "beta" for you, but we shipped over 100k devices and believe me or not, for most, it just works. It's the same thing for all of these dongles. They will not work perfectly for all, there are just too many variables.
    I just want to leave a big THANK YOU for the developers! You invented a great product and do a great job here.

Anyone who has ordered the product knows that it is a crowdfunding project, which may also have teething problems. I find it cheeky to get upset about problems, even though they are dealt with promptly here. What more should the distributors do than react to the problems here and offer solutions?

I also have problems with the device, but I was helped quickly. Even if it takes a few days.

Dear team: Keep up the good work!
    Very close to release of 2.1.0 now. We fixed the UConnect issue, except for some cases where you still have to re-plug the device, but this is also the case on the MA1.
    We fixed the "VW Headunit crashing on skipping tracks" issue now completely. Confirmed it's a bug on the HU side, latency makes it worse. We will probably push a new firmware by the end of this week.
    I will also submit a bug report to Google, cause they can fix/workaround this issue as well for cabled users.