AAWireless - General discussion and support

Search This thread

Lord Paulus Cobris

May 14, 2022
Hello,
I must ask the developer...

Will AAWireless support also Wireless Apple Car Play?

I have come across another device like AAWireless that do both AA and ACP.
The price is even the same... so?

Im thinking in moving from Android to IOS, and i don´t want to have a "stone" on my car.

Thanks again...

LPC

festor

Jun 4, 2013
I know I should ignore these posts, but these are the comments why I'm honestly considering completely dropping out any forum / reddit / social media. What's the point? We have support, we have warranty, we have a refund policy. It might be "beta" for you, but we shipped over 100k devices and believe me or not, for most, it just works. It's the same thing for all of these dongles. They will not work perfectly for all, there are just too many variables.
I remember a post from a guy with the classic “I've been in the industry for years” claim. He said that because he had a weekly internal briefing at his workplace, you should be doing the same for us here. If you give an inch, they want a mile.

Then you have all the narcissistic Karens with zero patience that say whatever they think will get your attention so they can jump the queue. Even when you (quite rightly) post that firmware will now be staggered with no release announcement, you have an immediate request from someone with “faulty” units asking you to announce when the release will start!?!

It must be incredibly frustrating and every rational user will understand. Even if you decide against stepping back permanently, please take a lengthy break.

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
Hello,
I must ask the developer...

Will AAWireless support also Wireless Apple Car Play?

I have come across another device like AAWireless that do both AA and ACP.
The price is even the same... so?

Im thinking in moving from Android to IOS, and i don´t want to have a "stone" on my car.

Thanks again...

LPC
Maybe in the future. We're looking into it, but it's not trivial because the CarPlay protocol is completely different from Android Auto.
We might also need an MFI chip to be able to do it, we're looking into ways around it, because we cannot get an MFI license (we tried). All the Chinese dongles just put an MFI chip on without having license.
IF we can do it we will provide it as a free update. For now I'd buy this other device if you want both.

Last edited:

Lord Paulus Cobris

May 14, 2022
Maybe in the future. We're looking into it, but it's not trivial because the CarPlay protocol is completely different from Android Auto.
We might also need an MFI chip to be able to do it, we're looking into ways around it, because we cannot get an MFI license (we tried). All the Chinese dongles just put an MFI chip on without having license.
IF we can do it we will provide it as a free update. For now I'd buy this other device if you want both.
Hi Snirpo!
Thanks for your reply!
Thats actually good news... Its not "NO". There is hope for a multi option device at least.
That would be awesome if this dongle could do both protocols.

Keep up de good work!

Thanks again,

LPC

SOFO888

Jan 28, 2013
@Snirpo
I just want to say thank you to you and your team for your hard work and the device.
I have it now since end of October 2021. I use it nearly every day.
The successful connection rate is at around 98-99% in my case. For the other 1-2% there is always support from your side. Thanks for this.

Don't listen to inpatient people. Everybody wants to have everything right away. Waiting is something people don't know any more today in the globalised world. Don't listen to these guys.

DeCo59

Mar 3, 2013
Strange behaviour for me, I think when I change country the android auto disconnect, its happened when I switch from france to Belgium, , and France to Germany.

Also I always have the problem which for example "deezer" stay at the bottom with the button, even if u don't want to use it and I launch poweramp on AA, the deezer button stay at the bottom, (also happened with smart audiobook for example), so I have to disable it on AA 😏

DeanGibson

Apr 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
... They will not work perfectly for all, there are just too many variables clueless people.
There. I've fixed it for you! :)

Mine works perfectly 99% of the time, & when it doesn't seem to work, rebooting the HU or phone fixes it. That tells me where the problem is.

Too many people have unrealistic expectations of wireless communications (that includes Bluetooth). As a Amateur Radio licensee for fifty years, I understand the frustration. However, it's the nature of radio communications.

Danielgade

Apr 14, 2018
I have been running 2.0.2 for a month now and the app asked me to "upgrade" to the 1.12 version. Has a problem been discovered in 2.0.2?

Attachments

• 2022-08-02 08.44.16.jpg
    2022-08-02 08.44.16.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 51

psmedley

May 5, 2011
Adelaide
I have been running 2.0.2 for a month now and the app asked me to "upgrade" to the 1.12 version. Has a problem been discovered in 2.0.2?
You must have a Uconnect head unit.... there are some know issues with 2.02 and uconnect, so they're offering a backlevel to 1.12 which may work better. If you have no issues with 2.02, there's no need to downgrade.

@Snirpo
I just want to say thank you to you and your team for your hard work and the device.
I have it now since end of October 2021. I use it nearly every day.
The successful connection rate is at around 98-99% in my case. For the other 1-2% there is always support from your side. Thanks for this.

Don't listen to inpatient people. Everybody wants to have everything right away. Waiting is something people don't know any more today in the globalised world. Don't listen to these guys.
I do plus one to @SOFO888

I've my AAW since 2021 as well, I have receive good support when needed and I have had enough patient to play around with the device and test multiple settings until getting my sweet-spot. I can say that since we got the option to modify the WiFi channels my device works more than 99% of the time flawlessly, I use it everyday mostly listening Spotify and Google podcasts, with Waze all the time showing the map or guiding, phone calls, whatsapp calls, message reading and replies, google assistant voice commands... everything works as it was wired to the unit... the fraction of the current failures I have been facing is very specific, and I have noticed that sometimes when I pass under a teletag reader (parkings or tolls) the device disconnects, but within several seconds it reconnects automatically (as it's not so frequently I always forget to change WiFi channel again, probably that will completely fix that small issue).
I have drive from Spain to France, also to Andorra, changing the country hasn't affected the device behavior at all. Tested in short drives but also in long runs driving around 4 hours non-stop from Barcelona to Avignon, no issues, I'm very happy with the product and I do thank you all the developers behind because you're doing a tremendous job!

Keep strong and ignore the haters... the will be always around...

Danielgade

Apr 14, 2018
You must have a Uconnect head unit.... there are some know issues with 2.02 and uconnect, so they're offering a backlevel to 1.12 which may work better. If you have no issues with 2.02, there's no need to downgrade.
Thank you for your answer. I have the Uconnect and haven't any problem of connection. The only thing that I observed was that the start/stop system of my car stop of work. I think that was caused by the use of gadget, draining the battery . I turned on the start/stop option of AAWireless app, apparently it's work fine, but the car's system didn't back. I will wait of the new update (2.1) for make it in my gadget.

elbubi

May 12, 2013
It means stfu and have some patience... Stop being so entitled you rude Karen.
You totally misunderstud my post.

I meant to say to alibaba00 that Snirpo said "very close", and very close does not mean now, nor today, nor tomorrow.
It was a way of saying "Dear god, please have some patiente with this poor gay who is doing its best to help us".

No need to disrespect btw...

Reactions: Whiskery
D

Deleted member 10362463

Hey guys google has released android auto 8.0 beta without coolwalk currently. I think they will enable it later server side. @Snirpo when coolwalk gets enabled it will work with aawireless right i mean yea there might be need to do some testing but it should work right. I wanted to try out android auto beta so asking. If i face some problems i will instead of jumping to beta will use stable build but i m facing some problems on stable build for my samsung. These problems are solved in beta version of android auto.

sbellon

Feb 4, 2012
Hi all,

I have been lurking here, being a very happy user of AAWireless for quite some time (I have been in the very early batches). I have been successfully using AAWireless 1.5.0 (yes, old, but worked very stable for me) together with my 2017 Audi A4 and a Sony Xperia 5 II with Android 12. Everything was rock stable, no disconnects, and the connection was detected almost 95 % of the time immediately when starting the car without any manual intervention required.

However since a few days, it doesn't work anymore at all. Audi MMI says that no Android Auto device is connected.

If I plug in the Sony Xperia 5 II directly at the cable instead of the AAWireless device, I immediately have Android Auto on the car's screen.

So, it neither looks like the fault of the car nor the phone, nor the cable.

When plugging in AAWireless, it first starts with a solid green LED and after a short while it changes to "flash flash pause, flash flash pause, flash flash pause, ..." rhythm, also in green. What does that mean?

Needless to say that I didn't change anything on the car side and nothing in AAWireless either. Also, there was no Android update on the phone. I cannot guarantee however whether there was an update of the Android Auto app, that may have been the case.

Anybody any ideas of what's the issue and/or of how to get it back in working condition?
@Snirpo

I think my message got lost unanswered in the thread. I'd be very grateful for some other hints besides "reset the device".

What does the LED blinking code mean?

If resetting is the only way forward, I'll gladly try it, however I was running AAWireless for a year now without any hiccups, therefore I'm really wondering whether resetting is the answer.

Top Liked Posts

For everyone who created a translation. We've just pushed app version 2.23.0 to the Play Store which includes all fully completed (100%) translations. Thanks!
    I'm afraid you diddn't understand Snirpo answer : so many available features are amost not used, so developping new feature for very few people is not realistic...
    The bug in MIUI is there for around a year. It has same behavior with native (factory) enabled wireless Android auto units. So until you stay with MIUI you can't use wireless AA even if you buy new car.
    To enjoy wireless AA, IMO there are two options only:
    - change the phone
    - unlock bootloader and flash an AOSP rom (this is what I did and all working great on Mi 11 (venus)

By the way, once you try wireless Android auto (does not matter native or by any dongle on the market), you will never regret for changing the rom or the phone....
    Here's the same problem on an MA1:
    In general I'd advice NOT to buy an Xiaomi phone if you want to use Android Auto Wireless. They have been sh*t since the beginning. Older MIUI had no mobile internet while using AA Wireless. MIUI > 12.5 has these disconnection issues when mobile network reconnects.
    Huawei is also horrible for Android Auto Wireless.
    We decided to only support phones from the official list of Google (https://support.google.com/androida...py=,android-auto-on-your-car-display-wireless), cause it's just not maintainable anymore.
    I'm still using the Ottocast in one of the cars. Now something finally makes sense as it only says Carplay and it's been confusing since the start. There is a great new startup UI that is a big improvement, that I think is in beta. The first was terrible at connections but the second connects up rock solid every time. It does have some audio issues but seems to be getting better each time. I didn't find the FW update process to be difficult.

I may swap this with the other VW to test the Assistant audio issue I have.
    We're also looking into doing AA via CarPlay protocol. This will definitely help on some cars with horrible Android Auto implementation.
    Yeah I don't know, theoretically (and possibly als practically) we could implement something like Miracast. Personally I'd never use it. I think screen mirroring sucks. But if there's lots of demand for it, I guess we could look into it.
    I guess we can open some kind of poll for features. First need a list of features though.
    This thread is dedicated for AAWireless users.

AAWireless is a device which allows you to transform your existing wired Android Auto compatible unit into a Wireless Android Auto unit.

General chat, experience sharing and community support should be expected as well as support from the developers of the product: @Snirpo and myself.
    I used to get the same thing. I believe it is an issue with AA/Google rather than AAW. In any event, I have had to give up on AAW as I can't connect to it/won't update, just sits there with a constant light-blue light. It is a (very expensive) paper weight on my desk now. It is just "too Beta" for my requirements.

I have now got a Carlink 2022 Android box which works flawlessly for me.
    MG ZS EV 2022
    Galaxy S21 Ultra (not rooted)
    I know I should ignore these posts, but these are the comments why I'm honestly considering completely dropping out any forum / reddit / social media. What's the point? We have support, we have warranty, we have a refund policy. It might be "beta" for you, but we shipped over 100k devices and believe me or not, for most, it just works. It's the same thing for all of these dongles. They will not work perfectly for all, there are just too many variables.
    I just want to leave a big THANK YOU for the developers! You invented a great product and do a great job here.

Anyone who has ordered the product knows that it is a crowdfunding project, which may also have teething problems. I find it cheeky to get upset about problems, even though they are dealt with promptly here. What more should the distributors do than react to the problems here and offer solutions?

I also have problems with the device, but I was helped quickly. Even if it takes a few days.

Dear team: Keep up the good work!
    Very close to release of 2.1.0 now. We fixed the UConnect issue, except for some cases where you still have to re-plug the device, but this is also the case on the MA1.
    We fixed the "VW Headunit crashing on skipping tracks" issue now completely. Confirmed it's a bug on the HU side, latency makes it worse. We will probably push a new firmware by the end of this week.
    I will also submit a bug report to Google, cause they can fix/workaround this issue as well for cabled users.