AAWireless - General discussion and support

Search This thread

billarf01

Aug 17, 2022
? for you... On the AA Wireless Adapter for Android shipping from Amazon, what firmware # is loaded on them.. I have been told by fellow Wrangler JL owner to roll back to / to only use firmware version 1.8 . When I receive my dongle from Amazon on 8/30/22 I want to be sure it has only 1.8 firmware. Thanks for you reply.. I am Rhinebeck01 in this thread talking MA1. IF I have success with AA Wireless dongle I will be posting about it.. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...1-wireless-android-adapter.86856/post-2054720

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
? for you... On the AA Wireless Adapter for Android shipping from Amazon, what firmware # is loaded on them.. I have been told by fellow Wrangler JL owner to roll back to / to only use firmware version 1.8 . When I receive my dongle from Amazon on 8/30/22 I want to be sure it has only 1.8 firmware. Thanks for you reply.. I am Rhinebeck01 in this thread talking MA1. IF I have success with AA Wireless dongle I will be posting about it.. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...1-wireless-android-adapter.86856/post-2054720
It will arrive with 1.12.0, which is equal to 1.8 (gen1 vs gen2). No dongles are shipping from factory with 2.x yet.
UConnect is still blacklisted in the backend from 2.x. However we will soon remove this blacklist, because firmware 2.1.0 should work fine with UConnect.

chrisbrunner

Aug 17, 2022
Hi all,

I wannt to update my AAWireless firmware version 1.0.0.
I have connect the the device an the AAWireless android app in version 2.21.0 state, that there is a new version 2.0.2 available.
I click on "Start download" and the download ends with 100%.
But after that, instead of showing a button "start update", again the button "Start download" is shown.
Also downloading again, does not change anything.

It is the same using a Samsung Galaxy S9 or a Pixel 6a as a mobile phone and the same if I have connected the device in the care or with a laptop.

Any ideas, why this happends and why the update isn't installed?

I am a german user and are using the german localisation of the app.

Thank you very much!
Christoph

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
Hi all,

I wannt to update my AAWireless firmware version 1.0.0.
I have connect the the device an the AAWireless android app in version 2.21.0 state, that there is a new version 2.0.2 available.
I click on "Start download" and the download ends with 100%.
But after that, instead of showing a button "start update", again the button "Start download" is shown.
Also downloading again, does not change anything.

It is the same using a Samsung Galaxy S9 or a Pixel 6a as a mobile phone and the same if I have connected the device in the care or with a laptop.

Any ideas, why this happends and why the update isn't installed?

I am a german user and are using the german localisation of the app.

Thank you very much!
Christoph
Oh jeez, that's a golden oldie :) Not sure why this happens, I'll check if I can reproduce. Might be a bug.

Experge

May 26, 2013
São Paulo
I'm having issues with voice navigation on Google Maps and Waze. Most of the times the voice gets out of sync with navigation, having the instruction being cut in the middle and the other half being said during the next voice instruction.

Does anyone else also have it? It doesnt happen when using wired.

This is in Brazilian Portuguese.

Reactions: LKnzw

Gerr1985

Feb 12, 2010
Chicago
I'm admittedly checking for the 2.1 update every 6 hours. I have a Kia in new software (yay widescreen finally) and a Jeep on Unconnect (2 aawireless devices). Both are technically working with the known workarounds, but I do miss some of the features like DPI control on the KIA.

AndroidAuto-AAWCUOZ3n4Q
AAWireless-YdNaa4Ae

*Edit*
Update appeared evening of 8/19
Kia now actually now able to full screen one app thanks to DPI at 250 (image attached)

Attachments

• PXL_20220820_065226218.NIGHT~2.jpg
    PXL_20220820_065226218.NIGHT~2.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Jemus

Jun 5, 2012

2.1.0 will also have a firmware based workaround/hack coming up.

This is not a problem in AAWireless, but in Android Auto/HU. MA1 has the same issue, confirmed with @psmedley .

Kinda odd AAGateway works, have to check what's different over there. Did you ever use The AAGateway solution before on this car?

EDIT: Actually think I might know why AAGateway works. Do you by any chance have the "Non ROOT mode" option enabled in AAGateway? When "Non ROOT mode" is enabled, AAGateway does the same "hack" as AAWireless does with firmware 2.1.0.
Is it possible that I have to repeat the adb command after rebooting the smartphone?

It worked perfect till I rebooted.

suburbazine

Jun 6, 2022
AAWireless team- I have an issue with my unit leaking a comparatively large amount of RF noise for a 100mA device, mostly between 27.180Mhz and 27.190Mhz. I basically can hear it negotiating the connection to the head unit and then video data becomes pink noise. Similarly, any local transmission on those frequencies cuts its connection to the head unit. I have tried different USB cables in case there was a shielding issue, but it doesn't happen connected directly to the phone.

Transmitting at least 4w AM nearby between in that range breaks the AAW, even worse with SSB at 12 watts. It does not seem to be affected much if at all outside of that spectrum.

I'm not certain if the leakage/interference is within FCC tolerance, either. Normal issue?

Last edited:

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
AAWireless team- I have an issue with my unit leaking a comparatively large amount of RF noise for a 100mA device, mostly between 27.180Mhz and 27.190Mhz. I basically can hear it negotiating the connection to the head unit and then video data becomes pink noise. Similarly, any local transmission on those frequencies cuts its connection to the head unit. I have tried different USB cables in case there was a shielding issue, but it doesn't happen connected directly to the phone.

Transmitting at least 4w AM nearby between in that range breaks the AAW, even worse with SSB at 12 watts. It does not seem to be affected much if at all outside of that spectrum.

I'm not certain if the leakage/interference is within FCC tolerance, either. Normal issue?
To be honest, I have no idea. While the hardware design is our IP, we did not design the hardware ourselves. I forwarded this to the factory.

Reactions: suburbazine

Top Liked Posts

For everyone who created a translation. We've just pushed app version 2.23.0 to the Play Store which includes all fully completed (100%) translations. Thanks!
    I'm afraid you diddn't understand Snirpo answer : so many available features are amost not used, so developping new feature for very few people is not realistic...
    The bug in MIUI is there for around a year. It has same behavior with native (factory) enabled wireless Android auto units. So until you stay with MIUI you can't use wireless AA even if you buy new car.
    To enjoy wireless AA, IMO there are two options only:
    - change the phone
    - unlock bootloader and flash an AOSP rom (this is what I did and all working great on Mi 11 (venus)

By the way, once you try wireless Android auto (does not matter native or by any dongle on the market), you will never regret for changing the rom or the phone....
    Here's the same problem on an MA1:
    In general I'd advice NOT to buy an Xiaomi phone if you want to use Android Auto Wireless. They have been sh*t since the beginning. Older MIUI had no mobile internet while using AA Wireless. MIUI > 12.5 has these disconnection issues when mobile network reconnects.
    Huawei is also horrible for Android Auto Wireless.
    We decided to only support phones from the official list of Google (https://support.google.com/androida...py=,android-auto-on-your-car-display-wireless), cause it's just not maintainable anymore.
    I'm still using the Ottocast in one of the cars. Now something finally makes sense as it only says Carplay and it's been confusing since the start. There is a great new startup UI that is a big improvement, that I think is in beta. The first was terrible at connections but the second connects up rock solid every time. It does have some audio issues but seems to be getting better each time. I didn't find the FW update process to be difficult.

I may swap this with the other VW to test the Assistant audio issue I have.
    We're also looking into doing AA via CarPlay protocol. This will definitely help on some cars with horrible Android Auto implementation.
    Yeah I don't know, theoretically (and possibly als practically) we could implement something like Miracast. Personally I'd never use it. I think screen mirroring sucks. But if there's lots of demand for it, I guess we could look into it.
    I guess we can open some kind of poll for features. First need a list of features though.
    This thread is dedicated for AAWireless users.

AAWireless is a device which allows you to transform your existing wired Android Auto compatible unit into a Wireless Android Auto unit.

General chat, experience sharing and community support should be expected as well as support from the developers of the product: @Snirpo and myself.
    I used to get the same thing. I believe it is an issue with AA/Google rather than AAW. In any event, I have had to give up on AAW as I can't connect to it/won't update, just sits there with a constant light-blue light. It is a (very expensive) paper weight on my desk now. It is just "too Beta" for my requirements.

I have now got a Carlink 2022 Android box which works flawlessly for me.
    MG ZS EV 2022
    Galaxy S21 Ultra (not rooted)
    I know I should ignore these posts, but these are the comments why I'm honestly considering completely dropping out any forum / reddit / social media. What's the point? We have support, we have warranty, we have a refund policy. It might be "beta" for you, but we shipped over 100k devices and believe me or not, for most, it just works. It's the same thing for all of these dongles. They will not work perfectly for all, there are just too many variables.
    I just want to leave a big THANK YOU for the developers! You invented a great product and do a great job here.

Anyone who has ordered the product knows that it is a crowdfunding project, which may also have teething problems. I find it cheeky to get upset about problems, even though they are dealt with promptly here. What more should the distributors do than react to the problems here and offer solutions?

I also have problems with the device, but I was helped quickly. Even if it takes a few days.

Dear team: Keep up the good work!
    Very close to release of 2.1.0 now. We fixed the UConnect issue, except for some cases where you still have to re-plug the device, but this is also the case on the MA1.
    We fixed the "VW Headunit crashing on skipping tracks" issue now completely. Confirmed it's a bug on the HU side, latency makes it worse. We will probably push a new firmware by the end of this week.
    I will also submit a bug report to Google, cause they can fix/workaround this issue as well for cabled users.