nunein

Feb 26, 2007
Leimen

Augusta Perusia

Sep 9, 2013
Augusta Perusia
@Snirpo i have last aawireless hardware/cable
Audi q3 - samsung a52
I set nation italy on wifi - after a few kilometers (not stopping) AA restarts by itself (disconnects aawireless and then alone connects) - can you fix ?

andreaslev

Jun 11, 2016
I also installed the App 3.0.0 (AAwireless 2.1), but the app hasn't connected to the adapter since then. The status of the cell phone says "connection setup" (AA app) but does nothing else. Only by saving the settings again in the AA app does the smartphone reconnect to the adapter. This is repeated every time you want to reconnect. Yesterday it worked automatically after more than 20 minutes, otherwise you have to keep going into the settings of the app and pressing save for the adapter to connect.

phoinix_gr

Mar 27, 2011
I may have found a workaround for Xiaomi devices (Poco F3, Xiaomi Mi 11 and others) affected with the following bug:

- "AAwireless disconnects immediately, when receiving or making a call"

So this is a workaround for the problem that inherently these phones have. When receiving or making a call connected to 4g/5g networks, phone must auto switch to 2G/3G to make the call. This disconnects AAwireless. (every cellular network change, brakes aaWireless connectivity briefly in these phones).
By Enabling VoLTE, we route the actual phone call, via LTE (4g/5g) using VoIP (if supported by network operator), thus we don't require the phone to switch to 2g/3g.

Works great here, and have reduced AAWireless disconnects over 90%.

Requirement:

Your Mobile network operator must support VoLTE.

Workaround steps:

Step 1. Enable VoLTE in your Mobile network operator (usually by an SMS, or by a direct-request to the network operator). Most probably it is already enabled if the Mobile network operator supports it.
Step 2. Enable VoLTE in the phone SIM Settings:
  • Go to 'Settings' and click on 'SIM cards & mobile network'.​
  • Choose 'SIM 1'.​
  • Click on 'Use VoLTE'.​

Gluck *

Last edited:

GPSMapper

Apr 11, 2009
Xiaomi 12
I may have found a workaround for Xiaomi devices
IMO, the best option for Xiaomi devices is to unlock bootloader and flash clean and tidy officially supported custom, this will make you forget about all MIUI bugs and issues.
Pixel Experience plus or LineAgeOS ROMs are working great. Well, unless you will be missing MIUI and it's "Iphonish" UI in the control center.
p.s. I am also a Xiaomi 12 owner ;) ... just waiting for the officially supported stable custom to be released.

phoinix_gr

Mar 27, 2011
IMO, the best option for Xiaomi devices is to unlock bootloader and flash clean and tidy officially supported custom, this will make you forget about all MIUI bugs and issues.
Pixel Experience plus or LineAgeOS ROMs are working great. Well, unless you will be missing MIUI and it's "Iphonish" UI in the control center.
p.s. I am also a Xiaomi 12 owner ;) ... just waiting for the officially supported stable custom to be released.
I agree that this is the best approach, but requires to void phone guarantee, clear all phone data , and to invest a lot of effort, time and knowledge, that's not something that all have.

The workaround, is just changing a setting.

Last edited:

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Hi @Emil Borconi. Back when I first heard of AAWireless around Update #5 on Indegogo on 9/28/2020, I subscribed to updates about your product, and I read every single one of them because it impressed me just how responsive and informative you are.

I've been waiting, as my wife and I regularly use Android Auto on each of our own phones with just one vehicle, so we look forward to testing each of our Pixel 7 Pros with our car very soon, now that I've finally ordered one.

Thanks and Cheers!

frgo

Jul 17, 2011
Nexus 7
Samsung Galaxy S4
Hi, Everybody! MB GLC (first gen prior to restyle)+Sony 1 mark 3 (Android 12)+first gen AA Wireless (2.02 firmw, AAWvzwqPWSp) works pretty much perfectly with the latest updates everywhere safe for one thing. GPS. It is not documented anywhere clearly. My car has GPS of its own and when I connect phone by usb and even place it inside elbow rest compartment it has PERFECT GPS reception. Car's position, heading and speed is no more than 1 second late on the screen. It is much better than when the phone is used without AA with a holder on the windshield. There are NEVER "looking for GPS signal" unless I'm driving in a tunnel or under some roof.

But when I plug AA Wireless either in a dongle mode or non-dongle mode, passthrough/non-passthrough mode, the position regularly (but not constantly, like 50/50 of times) becomes crazy. Rotation when standing at a red light. Jumps. "Looking for GPS signal" with the car's position pointer being gray (google maps). How to fix it? Put the phone under the windshield. I don't have to light the screen or anything. It is not power saving when the screen is off. Just putting the phone where GPS signal is good makes AA Wireless always the same as when the phones is used without AA on the windshield holder, but never as good as with a USB AA with the phone being buried deep inside where no GPS signal can make it's way. What conclusion can be made of it? With AA Wireless the GPS signal is often (not always) received not from the car's headunit like with USB AA, but from the phone's GPS antenna. Dear, Devs. If you run a new campaign for "adding GPS signal forced from car's headunit" I will support you with USD 100. I swear! It is the last thing to fix to make it an absolute copy of the USB AA.

BTW. I've never used the tap restriction which messes with GPS.
I have exactly the same problem. Everything used to work super fine with my mib 2.5 amundsen in skoda kodiaq but lately there is almost always "looking for GPS signal" in gmaps and my location is jumping and turning around for 5 minutes every time I start my car. I have no doubt AA suddenly started using phone's GPS receiver because taking my phone out of the pockets and putting it in different locations around the dashboard actually improves gps reception. This wasn't necessary before as AA used car's gps receiver and position always locked in seconds.

I started noticing this behaviour after my phone (onepleus nord 2) upgraded from A11 to A12 and/or upgrading AAWireless fw to 2.1.0.

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
I have exactly the same problem. Everything used to work super fine with my mib 2.5 amundsen in skoda kodiaq but lately there is almost always "looking for GPS signal" in gmaps and my location is jumping and turning around for 5 minutes every time I start my car. I have no doubt AA suddenly started using phone's GPS receiver because taking my phone out of the pockets and putting it in different locations around the dashboard actually improves gps reception. This wasn't necessary before as AA used car's gps receiver and position always locked in seconds.

I started noticing this behaviour after my phone (onepleus nord 2) upgraded from A11 to A12 and/or upgrading AAWireless fw to 2.1.0.
AAWireless does not influence GPS in any way. To be 100% percent sure, turn on passthrough from the settings. In passthrough mode it's a pure byte-per-byte passthrough.

-Loom-

Nov 5, 2010
Düsseldorf
Noticed the same on my MIB 2.5 VW Golf. "Looking for GPS", but placing the phone in a position with good satellite view didn't help. Needed to restart the headunit and got an instant position lock. Doesn't seem to be Android 12 related, because I'm running my OnePlus 8T with Android 11.

royrob

Oct 15, 2022
Questo thread è dedicato agli utenti AAWireless .

AAWireless è un dispositivo che ti consente di trasformare la tua unità cablata compatibile con Android Auto esistente in un'unità Android Auto wireless.

Ci si dovrebbe aspettare chat generale, condivisione di esperienze e supporto della community, nonché supporto da parte degli sviluppatori del prodotto: @Snirpo e me stesso.
MOD EDIT:
Blonghorno ion I have problems with I'm my mate 20 lite with emui 12 despite the fact that with developer option I forced but data connection with that wifi also active I have no internet connection so notifications do not work and everything related to the data connection is on android auto What on the device, you can help me to resolve?

Blonghorno ion ho problemi con I'm mio mate 20 lite con emui 12 nonostante Che con opzione sviluppatore abbia forzato ma connessione dati con anche quella wifi attiva non ho collegamento internet quindi non mi funzionano le notifiche e tutto quello Che riguarda la connessione dati sia su android auto Che sul device , potete aiutarmi a resolvere ?

Last edited by a moderator:

frgo

Jul 17, 2011
Nexus 7
Samsung Galaxy S4
AAWireless does not influence GPS in any way. To be 100% percent sure, turn on passthrough from the settings. In passthrough mode it's a pure byte-per-byte passthrough.

Thanks, I've tried passthrough mode and there is no difference. I'm 99% sure oneplus broke something with their buggy as hell A12 update.

Noticed the same on my MIB 2.5 VW Golf. "Looking for GPS", but placing the phone in a position with good satellite view didn't help. Needed to restart the headunit and got an instant position lock. Doesn't seem to be Android 12 related, because I'm running my OnePlus 8T with Android 11.
Thanks for the idea but it's still not working properly. Built in navigations locks instantly but location in AA is still jumpig around... I'm strongly suspecting buggy A12 update is the culprit.

HofaTheRipper

Apr 26, 2014
St. Veit an der Glan
Thanks, I've tried passthrough mode and there is no difference. I'm 99% sure oneplus broke something with their buggy as hell A12 update.

Thanks for the idea but it's still not working properly. Built in navigations locks instantly but location in AA is still jumpig around... I'm strongly suspecting buggy A12 update is the culprit.
You can be 100% sure... Oneplus fcked everything up with ColorOs... I switched to the Nothing phone 1 and everything works flawless now.

chkdsk90

Apr 10, 2018
hey guys, i am having some trouble with my dongle too. I have a Samsung S21 with latest firmware. i have the latest android auto 8.3.6241and latest aawireless app and latest firmware on the dongle. i tested a lot of usb cables and did a lot of factory resets of the dongle but the problem still exists. if i use android auto wired direct to the car i have no problems but if i use the dongle the connection keeps crashing after several minutes. reconnect is not possible until i turn of the entire car. any ideas?

Last edited:
Reactions: cript0n and Arcano

Top Liked Posts

I have also too much disconnection currently.
    I thought it was the cable : but using the cable connected directly to the phone it is working fine
    I thought it was the car : I changed from Mazda to Hyundai, same issue
    I thought it was the phone : my wife has same issue with her Google Pixel
    I can have a travel of 800km without issues with phone wired using the aawireless cable
    But I can't hope a travel of more than 20km without disconnection with aawireless.
    I tried reset, cleaning all wifi / bluetooth connection ... but never solved that.

It reboots itself quickly, so at least there is nothing to do. But that is still annoying.
    Did you try changing the WiFi channel to a higher one?

A lot of disconnection issues are solved changing the WiFi channel.
    For wifi settings I was in
    France > Access point > 5Ghz > auto

I just tried
    France > Access point > 5Ghz > [max number available]

I look forward to test that ! Thanks for this.

Note : I have 2 aawireless with same issues, IF wifi channel is the solution, do I have to put a different channel for each ?
    Hopefully it will help!

I doubt you have the 2 AAWireless dongles in the same car, so I think you can use the same channel on both...
    @Snirpo
    Just (perhaps) a stupid question: is it also possible to add another device to AAWireless Wifi?

For explanation: I ordered a dashcam. I did not receive the dash cam yet.
    The dashcam provides the possibility to get connected to a WiFi router so that I can download the files and live view the dash cam. But it's not possible to be connected to AAWireless Wifi and have another hotspot or Wifi connection at the same time with my phone. Therefore my idea was to connect the dash cam to the same Wifi like my phone (in this case the AAWireless Wifi).
    Yes you can, AAWireless hosts a hotspot. Password of the hotspot is uppercased sha1 of the full SSID. I don't know what performance impact this has though. But I expect none, cause the wifi has more than enough bandwidth.
    I'm a bit confused. I have received the AAwireless yesterday but haven't used it yet since my car is still in the shop.

I'm reading all these requests about adding device ID's to dev firmware, connection issues etc. Wouldn't I just be able to plug and play and use the device (after updating it) without issues? Or do I need to flash other firmware etc. to get it working properly?

Sidenote, can I already update this device without having access to my car?
    No, it is plug and play for 90+% of the users. The problem with these kinds of topic is, wherever it's located, reddit, XDA etc, it's mostly about issues.
    So when reading this you might think the device sucks. And for some people, that might be true. Although in alot of cases it's not the device at fault, but Android Auto itself, or the phone or the head unit, or all things combined. And for sure AAWireless is also not perfect, we can still improve and tweak stuff.
    Yes, you can update when powered through any USB port :)
    Tnx for the update, I just saw it in Play Store.
    But the bane of my device changed after resetting. (?!?!)
    It was AAwireless-xxx , now changed to AndroidAuto-AAWxxx?!

It doesn't supposed to change?! And what's the difference?
    AndroidAuto-AAWxxx means your device is in dongle mode, that's how it's triggered, by the AndroidAuto-xxx. That's what you normally want, and is default on new devices. The reason why we still have "normal" (native wireless HU emulation) mode as well has multiple reasons.

1. Device priority from AAWireless itself won't work in dongle mode, because how Android Auto is designed to work in dongle mode.
    2. Because dongle mode didn't exist before the MA1 was released, so we kept it as an option to turn it off. This is to avoid potentially breaking people's setups when updating their device. When it's off, it will stay off on firmware update, until you reset the device or switch it off manually.
    3. For some phones / cars, for some reason, in dongle mode it will just never start up AA. We have no idea why, it doesn't make any sense, we have yet to see a pattern. Turn it off and it will work fine. These kinds of issues come and go, so is probably just brokeness in Android Auto itself.
    @Snirpo I would also appreciate that approach :)

Just a little site question: Is start/stop still companion app based? Or were your tests on device based start/stop already successful?
    We have two experimental options in the app from Firebase App Distribution (private beta build).

- Device HFP (to car) controlled. This will not work in 90 percent of the cars, because of the handsfree not being visible / connectable to non-paired device. In theory we could pair the AAW device to the handsfree of the car, but that will cause a whole lot of other issues.
    - Device USB controlled: May work for some cars, AAW tries start up an AA connection to the car every x seconds, if not possible it won't connect to the phone. This might work for cars which keep USB powered, but do shut down the HU (and thus also AA).
    But for example on Kia / Hyundai AA actually keeps running in the background (with screen off) after you turn off ignition. So for these cars this functionality won't help at all, because AA doesn't get killed, it's still running.

Both these options have been tested, but we found them not really usable. They are either not reliable or cause side effects. So they have never made it to production. They are still in the firmware though.

So to answer your question. We tried, but did not have success. So right now (in production) start / stop is still companion app controlled.
    Snirpo is fully right.
    Of course I only post in this thread when I have an issue. Nevertheless my AAWireless connects perfectly in about 99.5% of my drives.
    It is stable. In my opinion the AAWireless device works more reliable than my phone. Some issues are also phone related and not AAWireless related.
    I normally only post for the 0.5% of my drives.
    This thread is dedicated for AAWireless users.

AAWireless is a device which allows you to transform your existing wired Android Auto compatible unit into a Wireless Android Auto unit.

General chat, experience sharing and community support should be expected as well as support from the developers of the product: @Snirpo and myself.
    I used to get the same thing. I believe it is an issue with AA/Google rather than AAW. In any event, I have had to give up on AAW as I can't connect to it/won't update, just sits there with a constant light-blue light. It is a (very expensive) paper weight on my desk now. It is just "too Beta" for my requirements.

I have now got a Carlink 2022 Android box which works flawlessly for me.
    MG ZS EV 2022
    Galaxy S21 Ultra (not rooted)
    I know I should ignore these posts, but these are the comments why I'm honestly considering completely dropping out any forum / reddit / social media. What's the point? We have support, we have warranty, we have a refund policy. It might be "beta" for you, but we shipped over 100k devices and believe me or not, for most, it just works. It's the same thing for all of these dongles. They will not work perfectly for all, there are just too many variables.
    I just want to leave a big THANK YOU for the developers! You invented a great product and do a great job here.

Anyone who has ordered the product knows that it is a crowdfunding project, which may also have teething problems. I find it cheeky to get upset about problems, even though they are dealt with promptly here. What more should the distributors do than react to the problems here and offer solutions?

I also have problems with the device, but I was helped quickly. Even if it takes a few days.

Dear team: Keep up the good work!
    Very close to release of 2.1.0 now. We fixed the UConnect issue, except for some cases where you still have to re-plug the device, but this is also the case on the MA1.
    We fixed the "VW Headunit crashing on skipping tracks" issue now completely. Confirmed it's a bug on the HU side, latency makes it worse. We will probably push a new firmware by the end of this week.
    I will also submit a bug report to Google, cause they can fix/workaround this issue as well for cabled users.