AAWireless - General discussion and support

Search This thread

cript0n

Jul 2, 2011
Madrid
I contacted support and we went through all the possible settings again. In the end, I got a new adapter and no more problems since then. I therefore assume that it was the device.
Did you buy a new one or they sent you a new one? I put in Contact with them and they ask me for my AAWireless-****** device number. Lets see what they say. I Will put here as soon as they answer me.

Edit:. They answer me: "This is unfortunately a phone side issue which we cannot help with. You can try different Wi-Fi channels using the companion app.". I tried several channels and nothing... So It is Xiaomi problem. Hope the fix It soon.

Last edited:

cbb77

Nov 28, 2010
Massachusetts
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 8T
First post after using AAW successfully for months without issue. Unfortunately also have GPS issues. Thought it was my phone but tested this for a few days connected with AAW and then directly connected to car. AAW has been constantly failing to get GPS lock but no issues directly connected to car via cable. I am running what I believe is the latest version 2.1.0. Phone is Oneplus 8T on Android 12 but since I've seen reports of different phones, going to say it's this version of AAW. Please let me know if there are any potential work arounds, settings changes. I've always run with the stock settings without issue. Car is 2019 Jeep Cherokee running UConnect.

chkdsk90

Apr 10, 2018
Did you buy a new one or they sent you a new one? I put in Contact with them and they ask me for my AAWireless-****** device number. Lets see what they say. I Will put here as soon as they answer me.

Edit:. They answer me: "This is unfortunately a phone side issue which we cannot help with. You can try different Wi-Fi channels using the companion app.". I tried several channels and nothing... So It is Xiaomi problem. Hope the fix It soon.
yes I have provided the AAWireless******** device number. i returned my device and got a new one.
Which is your new device? I am interested... And also, which is your phone?
What do you mean with it? are there any other devices? i have a galaxy s21 with latest android 12. as I have already written, with the new device i have no issues. maybe you can get a new one as well if you send yours back.

Reactions: cript0n

cript0n

Jul 2, 2011
Madrid
yes I have provided the AAWireless******** device number. i returned my device and got a new one.

What do you mean with it? are there any other devices? i have a galaxy s21 with latest android 12. as I have already written, with the new device i have no issues. maybe you can get a new one as well if you send yours back.
I meant if you bought a diferent device instead of AAW. But now i see they sent you a new one. For me, as i told you before, they amswered me that is Xiaomi Phone problem that they cant solve. So lets wait Xiaomi fix It some day on next uldates. Thanks.

Last edited:

chkdsk90

Apr 10, 2018
I meant if you buy a diferent device instead of AAW. But now i see they sent you a new one. For me, as i told you before, they amswered me that is Xiaomi Phone problem that they cant solve. So lets wait Xiaomi fix It some day on next uldates. Thanks.
Sorry, I must have missed it.
maybe it's not a specific problem, even if they say it is. ask if you can get a new adapter if you send the old one back. they can only say no :cool:

Radegast12

Apr 5, 2010
Xiaomi Mi10. USB default Mode. Passthrough enabled. Dongle Mode disabled. Wifi set to 5Gh and highest Channel. Everything works fine till I loose data Signal in mobile phone and it doesn't reconnect again unless I turn off the car and turn it on again. My car: Corolla MY22 with smartconnect. I read most of the thread about disconect and reconnect but nothing solve my problem. Any tip to get reconnect by itself as soon as the data Signal come back?? Thanks!
I have a very similar problem, but for me, AAW reconnects itself after disconnecting. So it's not as frustrating as yours. Xiaomi POCO F3 phone, Skoda Octavia 3 car.
I received a message that XIAOMI phones will disconnect WiFi when mobile signal is lost. And now I don't know if it's a feature or a bug. If it's a bug, there's hope for a fix (I'm waiting for Android 12), if it's a feature, I have to learn to live with it.

festor

Jun 4, 2013
I have the same disconnections with a POCO F3, but since AAW 2.0.1 firmware (or possibly dongle mode?) my calls no longer disconnect when the phone cuts wifi. Android Auto stops working but the call continues seamlessly. I have to reconnect AAWireless manually when this happens, but all other dropouts reconnect automatically when I’m not on a call. My route even continues in Waze so I can live with this.

I considered switching to PixelExperience many times, but the potential issues and quirks that people report always seem worse than the disconnections. I also thought about going for a Pixel 7 then I see various posts about connection issues. I’ll hold out for the official A13 based MIUI and switch to a Pixel if Xiaomi still haven’t fixed the problem by then.

cript0n

Jul 2, 2011
Madrid
I have the same disconnections with a POCO F3, but since AAW 2.0.1 firmware (or possibly dongle mode?) my calls no longer disconnect when the phone cuts wifi. Android Auto stops working but the call continues seamlessly. I have to reconnect AAWireless manually when this happens, but all other dropouts reconnect automatically when I’m not on a call. My route even continues in Waze so I can live with this.

I considered switching to PixelExperience many times, but the potential issues and quirks that people report always seem worse than the disconnections. I also thought about going for a Pixel 7 then I see various posts about connection issues. I’ll hold out for the official A13 based MIUI and switch to a Pixel if Xiaomi still haven’t fixed the problem by then.
Which settings do you have in AAwireless configuration?

Pfffr

Oct 24, 2015
Hey @Snirpo , could you please get me back to regular update branch? Thanks.
( AndroidAuto-AAW89883494 )

After trying the 2.0.2 for some more time sometimes it worked but now it's most times not working that good anymore, too. I found two things
1. I had no issues most of the time when I would completely disconnect/decouple phone, car and AAWireless and reconnect everything from scratch
2. It feels like I have fewer problems when using 2,4Ghz instead of 5Ghz WLAN. With 2,4Ghz there are some stutters every now and then but it feels like on 5Ghz those would have been disconnects instead of stutters.

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
Hey @Snirpo , could you please get me back to regular update branch? Thanks.
( AndroidAuto-AAW89883494 )

After trying the 2.0.2 for some more time sometimes it worked but now it's most times not working that good anymore, too. I found two things
1. I had no issues most of the time when I would completely disconnect/decouple phone, car and AAWireless and reconnect everything from scratch
2. It feels like I have fewer problems when using 2,4Ghz instead of 5Ghz WLAN. With 2,4Ghz there are some stutters every now and then but it feels like on 5Ghz those would have been disconnects instead of stutters.
You're back on the regular branch. It doesn't sound right though, good chance your device is defective. If you contact support ([email protected]) and reference this post, my colleagues will take care of a replacement.

festor

Jun 4, 2013
Question on [removed]

This works as described, wireless AA, YouTube, Netflix good now.

Does it work with Car only? or can I use it with TVs?

It’s 10 times the price of a Chromecast so you clearly have no interest in using it on a TV. You need to be more creative with your very obvious advertising spam.

festor

Jun 4, 2013
I removed their link and image from my post. It was someone promoting an android head unit adapter from a dodgy website. It was even more obvious from their history.

If I knew that admin would be so efficient at deleting their account, I wouldn’t have replied :D

morrislee

Aug 24, 2010
Edmonton
I have recently discovered that using android auto would cause my ringer/notification sounds to stop working after its disconnected. I would require to restart my phone to get my ringer back. I am on S22 Ultra AA 2.1.0

I have tried resetting the dongle, have not tried factory resetting my phone yet. anyone has experienced this too?

urmanio23

May 30, 2013
Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 5g

Hi, I just got my AAW a month ago and It has the same exact issue, randomly disconnects on my Peugeot 208 (2023). It reconects but I have to select the AA app on the screen. I also have a POCO F4 and I've always felt that MIUI software is too aggressive or has issues cause youtube music app is always closed (not running) in the mornings or after a while. Its annoying having to disconnect the AAW dongle or go into airplane mode, open YT music app and then reconect the phone.

festor

Jun 4, 2013
Hi, I just got my AAW a month ago and It has the same exact issue, randomly disconnects on my Peugeot 208 (2023). It reconects but I have to select the AA app on the screen. I also have a POCO F4 and I've always felt that MIUI software is too aggressive or has issues cause youtube music app is always closed (not running) in the mornings or after a while. Its annoying having to disconnect the AAW dongle or go into airplane mode, open YT music app and then reconect the phone.
Are you sure YT Music is set to Autostart? I don’t have that issue myself, but I don’t use the app that much. It wouldn’t be a surprise if there was a weird issue with YT Music though, the WiFi dropping when the mobile data connection is lost has been an issue for over a year.

If you haven’t done it already, change the app to “No restrictions” under Battery Saver then padlock the app on running apps screen (press and hold on the app). You could also try running in performance mode, but none of the apps I use in AA need to be running on the phone first. They only need Autostart to be enabled.

Reactions: urmanio23

Top Liked Posts

Profile 1:
    The variable CARBLUETOOTHCONNECTED is set to 1 as soon as my car is connected to my phone by Bluetooth. Exit task is to clear this variable.

Profile 2:
    Connected to AAWireless Wifi.
    Then I start the task in the screenshot as entry task. You don't need the Say and ringer volume commands. It is for my information so that I know that there is a connection error.
    @Snirpo
    Just (perhaps) a stupid question: is it also possible to add another device to AAWireless Wifi?

For explanation: I ordered a dashcam. I did not receive the dash cam yet.
    The dashcam provides the possibility to get connected to a WiFi router so that I can download the files and live view the dash cam. But it's not possible to be connected to AAWireless Wifi and have another hotspot or Wifi connection at the same time with my phone. Therefore my idea was to connect the dash cam to the same Wifi like my phone (in this case the AAWireless Wifi).
    Yes you can, AAWireless hosts a hotspot. Password of the hotspot is uppercased sha1 of the full SSID. I don't know what performance impact this has though. But I expect none, cause the wifi has more than enough bandwidth.
    I'm a bit confused. I have received the AAwireless yesterday but haven't used it yet since my car is still in the shop.

I'm reading all these requests about adding device ID's to dev firmware, connection issues etc. Wouldn't I just be able to plug and play and use the device (after updating it) without issues? Or do I need to flash other firmware etc. to get it working properly?

Sidenote, can I already update this device without having access to my car?
    No, it is plug and play for 90+% of the users. The problem with these kinds of topic is, wherever it's located, reddit, XDA etc, it's mostly about issues.
    So when reading this you might think the device sucks. And for some people, that might be true. Although in alot of cases it's not the device at fault, but Android Auto itself, or the phone or the head unit, or all things combined. And for sure AAWireless is also not perfect, we can still improve and tweak stuff.
    Yes, you can update when powered through any USB port :)
    Tnx for the update, I just saw it in Play Store.
    But the bane of my device changed after resetting. (?!?!)
    It was AAwireless-xxx , now changed to AndroidAuto-AAWxxx?!

It doesn't supposed to change?! And what's the difference?
    AndroidAuto-AAWxxx means your device is in dongle mode, that's how it's triggered, by the AndroidAuto-xxx. That's what you normally want, and is default on new devices. The reason why we still have "normal" (native wireless HU emulation) mode as well has multiple reasons.

1. Device priority from AAWireless itself won't work in dongle mode, because how Android Auto is designed to work in dongle mode.
    2. Because dongle mode didn't exist before the MA1 was released, so we kept it as an option to turn it off. This is to avoid potentially breaking people's setups when updating their device. When it's off, it will stay off on firmware update, until you reset the device or switch it off manually.
    3. For some phones / cars, for some reason, in dongle mode it will just never start up AA. We have no idea why, it doesn't make any sense, we have yet to see a pattern. Turn it off and it will work fine. These kinds of issues come and go, so is probably just brokeness in Android Auto itself.
    Snirpo is fully right.
    Of course I only post in this thread when I have an issue. Nevertheless my AAWireless connects perfectly in about 99.5% of my drives.
    It is stable. In my opinion the AAWireless device works more reliable than my phone. Some issues are also phone related and not AAWireless related.
    I normally only post for the 0.5% of my drives.
    @Snirpo I would also appreciate that approach :)

Just a little site question: Is start/stop still companion app based? Or were your tests on device based start/stop already successful?
    We have two experimental options in the app from Firebase App Distribution (private beta build).

- Device HFP (to car) controlled. This will not work in 90 percent of the cars, because of the handsfree not being visible / connectable to non-paired device. In theory we could pair the AAW device to the handsfree of the car, but that will cause a whole lot of other issues.
    - Device USB controlled: May work for some cars, AAW tries start up an AA connection to the car every x seconds, if not possible it won't connect to the phone. This might work for cars which keep USB powered, but do shut down the HU (and thus also AA).
    But for example on Kia / Hyundai AA actually keeps running in the background (with screen off) after you turn off ignition. So for these cars this functionality won't help at all, because AA doesn't get killed, it's still running.

Both these options have been tested, but we found them not really usable. They are either not reliable or cause side effects. So they have never made it to production. They are still in the firmware though.

So to answer your question. We tried, but did not have success. So right now (in production) start / stop is still companion app controlled.
    This thread is dedicated for AAWireless users.

AAWireless is a device which allows you to transform your existing wired Android Auto compatible unit into a Wireless Android Auto unit.

General chat, experience sharing and community support should be expected as well as support from the developers of the product: @Snirpo and myself.
    I used to get the same thing. I believe it is an issue with AA/Google rather than AAW. In any event, I have had to give up on AAW as I can't connect to it/won't update, just sits there with a constant light-blue light. It is a (very expensive) paper weight on my desk now. It is just "too Beta" for my requirements.

I have now got a Carlink 2022 Android box which works flawlessly for me.
    MG ZS EV 2022
    Galaxy S21 Ultra (not rooted)
    I know I should ignore these posts, but these are the comments why I'm honestly considering completely dropping out any forum / reddit / social media. What's the point? We have support, we have warranty, we have a refund policy. It might be "beta" for you, but we shipped over 100k devices and believe me or not, for most, it just works. It's the same thing for all of these dongles. They will not work perfectly for all, there are just too many variables.
    I just want to leave a big THANK YOU for the developers! You invented a great product and do a great job here.

Anyone who has ordered the product knows that it is a crowdfunding project, which may also have teething problems. I find it cheeky to get upset about problems, even though they are dealt with promptly here. What more should the distributors do than react to the problems here and offer solutions?

I also have problems with the device, but I was helped quickly. Even if it takes a few days.

Dear team: Keep up the good work!
    Very close to release of 2.1.0 now. We fixed the UConnect issue, except for some cases where you still have to re-plug the device, but this is also the case on the MA1.
    We fixed the "VW Headunit crashing on skipping tracks" issue now completely. Confirmed it's a bug on the HU side, latency makes it worse. We will probably push a new firmware by the end of this week.
    I will also submit a bug report to Google, cause they can fix/workaround this issue as well for cabled users.