AAWireless - General discussion and support

Search This thread

jeremyt561

• Dec 21, 2010
    Installed the 1.2 update today. I'm using this in a 2016 Mazda CX-9 for reference. Everything worked flawless prior to updating as long as I was in passthrough mode. After the update everything works flawlessly not using passthrough mode. I'm using the cable that came with the unit I received as well for reference. No reboots, no music playing issues, no problems at all. Adjusted my DPI to 103 and split screen works correctly as well. Hopefully this update helped a lot of those that were having issues. Thanks for a great product! In case it matters I'm use a Samsung S21 Ultra.

Last edited:
    Reactions: mapinkerton

mapinkerton

• Jul 28, 2010
    So I'm wondering what the definition of working is for everybody. For me it does work but I get the audio skipping issue in music when driving around, and after testing with the cable it didn't occur like this.

For those that have it "working", does your music play pretty flawlessly, without stops and starts now and then?
    In my personal experience (Mazda/Pixel 5), it plays flawlessly once connected. The only audio hiccups are if I do any CPU-heavy activity on the phone like load a big application (while parked). Streaming music and/or navigating works just like with wired AA if I have screen off and I'm not running a heavy load.

(edit:clarity)

Last edited:

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
    In my personal experience (Mazda/Pixel 5), it plays flawlessly once connected. The only audio hiccups are if I do any CPU-heavy activity on the phone like load a big application (while parked). Streaming music and/or navigating works just like with wired AA if I have screen off and I'm not running a heavy load.

(edit:clarity)
    Thanks. I will need to look into what is going on with the music, as it's a bummer when it stops, sometimes for a few secs, sometimes just a hiccup. I also tired using local music files from Poweramp and it still happened so I began to realise that it wasn't an internet connection issue with Youtube Music that I normally use.

biglou29

Mar 28, 2021
    Just tried it with 1.2 update Huawei Mate 20 Pro and Mazda CX3. Worked without using passthrough mode and Internet connection/Spotify worked (need to test this a few more times though just to make sure it wasn't a fluke). The only issue I had was steering wheel controls to skip songs wasn't working, but I'll confirm if this is an intermittent or ongoing issue over the next few days. Happy at the progress being made.

janz25

Sep 28, 2006
    Hello all, received my AAW yesterday.

My simple review:
    Delivery timeline: in total 5 days since processed by warehouse on 15th Apr, received in Singapore on the 20th Apr

Product: small and compact with short braided USB A cable to type C cable. Fit into cup holder easily.

Installation:
    My car: Mercedes Benz GLA 2021
    My phone: Samsung Note 10+
    1. Deleted the previous HU Bluetooth connection
    2. Deleted the connected vehicle profile on android auto setting
    3. Deactivate the option to switch to mobile data under wifi setting

The initial installation a bit of struggle, but after further explore on the setting, its much smoother when connected to the second phone.

Tried with below USB mode:
    - MTP = not working
    - MTP with forced start = working
    - MTP with retry = working
    - Direct = not working

Question:
    1. On the above working usb mode, my spotify was not playing song smoothly and google maps lagged. Both seems like experiencing random pause/stop/lag. Tried the Passthrough and adjust audio timestamp function, but nothing happens.

2. Does the DPI setting can make AA to fully utilized the 10.25 inch widescreen? i tried few numbers, the fonts and map resolution effected however no changes on the AA windows size

3. I noticed the AA disconnected and auto reconnected once, will monitor again if this repeated.

Overall, its great product which will benefit many AA users supported with great developer team.

Thank you Emil and team.

Last edited:

andy o

May 6, 2012
    I installed OTA 1.2 yesterday on my 2016 Mazda 3, and it did let me disable Passthrough and enable the experimental settings. I did notice that turning on the DPI setting it made the screen slightly horizontally stretched, like it was targeting a different aspect ratio. I just left it in Passthrough cause the screen is too small to run the 2 pane UI anyway. I also noticed the quicker connection, it is ready before my head unit finishes booting up from a cold boot, so it's practically the same connection time as wired. Before, sometimes it would time out before connecting to the phone.

janz25

Sep 28, 2006
    Hello all, received my AAW yesterday.

My simple review:
    Delivery timeline: in total 5 days since processed by warehouse on 15th Apr, received in Singapore on the 20th Apr

Product: small and compact with short braided USB A cable to type C cable. Fit into cup holder easily.

Installation:
    My car: Mercedes Benz GLA 2021
    My phone: Samsung Note 10+
    1. Deleted the previous HU Bluetooth connection
    2. Deleted the connected vehicle profile on android auto setting
    3. Deactivate the option to switch to mobile data under wifi setting

The initial installation a bit of struggle, but after further explore on the setting, its much smoother when connected to the second phone.

Tried with below USB mode:
    - MTP = not working
    - MTP with forced start = working
    - MTP with retry = working
    - Direct = not working

Question:
    1. On the above working usb mode, my spotify was not playing song smoothly and google maps lagged. Both seems like experiencing random pause/stop/lag. Tried the Passthrough and adjust audio timestamp function, but nothing happens.

2. Does the DPI setting can make AA to fully utilized the 10.25 inch widescreen? i tried few numbers, the fonts and map resolution effected however no changes on the AA windows size

3. I noticed the AA disconnected and auto reconnected once, will monitor again if this repeated.

Overall, its great product which will benefit many AA users supported with great developer team.

Thank you Emil and team.

For benefit of all, i updated my queries with reply from Dragos via email,

"for the first, try to disable power saving options and put those apps into "app that never goes to sleep".
    for the second, no sadly it will not use all of the screen, maybe in a future update.
    for the third, please let us know".

Thank you Dragos, will try as advice and update.

djbolden

Aug 23, 2011
    1.2.0 OTA update went pretty smoothly. It failed after a bit of a delay (red LED on AAW for perhaps a couple of minutes) on the first attempt, but the second try completed fairly quickly.

My setup app updated to version 1.6.4 on April 17. Looks like a new version is expected next week and will implement the new connect/disconnect feature? (I ask because AAW seemed to disconnect from my Ford Sync3 head unit more reliably after the update. I haven't really figured out when the Sync 3 USB retains power in some circumstances and doesn't in others, so it may not be new behavior.)

Last edited:

c1em3ntchua

Jul 20, 2012
    I installed OTA 1.2 yesterday on my 2016 Mazda 3, and it did let me disable Passthrough and enable the experimental settings. I did notice that turning on the DPI setting it made the screen slightly horizontally stretched, like it was targeting a different aspect ratio. I just left it in Passthrough cause the screen is too small to run the 2 pane UI anyway. I also noticed the quicker connection, it is ready before my head unit finishes booting up from a cold boot, so it's practically the same connection time as wired. Before, sometimes it would time out before connecting to the phone.
    My display is slightly stretch too in non-passthrough mode. Running a Kenwood DDX9017S head unit. Other than that, it's a very seamless experience. Have some audio dropout issues but I've read that disabling Wi-Fi scanning would solve the issue. Looking forward to trying that tomorrow.

Thank you AAWireless Team, great job!

chickan

Jan 21, 2009
    Still waiting for the 1.2 update here to see if it helps with issues with Holden/GM radios - hopefully soon!
    I updated today, still no luck on my 2016 Chevy Corvette, still goes into "Looking for Android Auto" and flashing blue light. Tried all of the methods (MTP, MTP + Forced, MTP + Retry, Direct, Passthrough On/OFf). With Passthrough On it still crashes and boot-loops, requiring me to plug into wall outlet to change the setting back to Off. So yeah, still no luck on my end. I'd be happy to provide logs or testing for the developers if needed, would love to get it working!

mapinkerton

• Jul 28, 2010
    I updated today, still no luck on my 2016 Chevy Corvette, still goes into "Looking for Android Auto" and flashing blue light. Tried all of the methods (MTP, MTP + Forced, MTP + Retry, Direct, Passthrough On/OFf). With Passthrough On it still crashes and boot-loops, requiring me to plug into wall outlet to change the setting back to Off. So yeah, still no luck on my end. I'd be happy to provide logs or testing for the developers if needed, would love to get it working!
    Apologies if you've already exhausted this avenue, but this sounds like it *might* be a cable issue where the cable is carrying power but is not making a data connection. I get the same behavior if I pull the cable slightly out, it has power so it connects the phone but the blue light remains flashing because it's not receiving anything from the head unit.

Are you using the cable provided in the box and do you have it fully seated in the device? That cable has a plug on the USB-C side that is slightly longer than my other cables so it's better able to work through the thick case and maintain a data connection.. I have other cables that supply power but no data beacuse the plug on the USB-C side is too short to make a data connection.

Nudnik_de

Feb 22, 2011
    Zurich
    Just want to share my experience for people with VW headunit reboot issues. Didn't had luck with the previously posted solution.
    Today I did the 1.2 update. Didn't work initially as it did not want to connect. Changed USB mode to MTP with forced start and the updater connected and everything went smooth. I noticed that the headunit did not crash anymore, tried to change dozens of songs on spotify and no crash! Usually the headunit crashed after every couple of songs.
    Don't know if it was the update or the USB setting and I also don't know if it is just coincidance that its working now. Will report if it remains stable

Reactions: mapinkerton

cfg9000

Mar 30, 2021
    Mine seems to be failing already, I have progressively worsening audio dropouts which have made it useless for music/podcasts. Going to try a different USB cable.

andy o

May 6, 2012
    Anyone having crashes should read the latest update on indiegogo. They have an identified a bug in some batches and they have delayed shipments for only a few days. They will also release a tool to fix the ones that already went out and people have.

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
    Just want to share my experience for people with VW headunit reboot issues. Didn't had luck with the previously posted solution.
    Today I did the 1.2 update. Didn't work initially as it did not want to connect. Changed USB mode to MTP with forced start and the updater connected and everything went smooth. I noticed that the headunit did not crash anymore, tried to change dozens of songs on spotify and no crash! Usually the headunit crashed after every couple of songs.
    Don't know if it was the update or the USB setting and I also don't know if it is just coincidance that its working now. Will report if it remains stable
    What setting are you using after the update, still MTP with forced restart? My experiences are a bit strange as I've been driving the Polo for the past two weeks mostly and it has a "similar" unit as my GTI, but a bit different and from my noticing it likes to reboot on a certain stretch of road, but it has only done it twice, maybe three times that I can remember. This morning I got a message come through and I wanted to listen to it and that's when it died, but I don't think the headunit itself crashed, as it didn't restart, rather it lost the connection to AAW, like the cable had been removed, and then it got reconnected again.

In the Polo I did the update to 1.2 last night, the AAW in the GTI didn't have it available yet. I am running in Direct Mode in the cars, can't really tell a difference between that and MTP as both work, AAW boots up and runs fine, just has those glitches when driving, normally the audio clipping, but in the Polo the AAW seems to drop out, but so far in that one area?

I will look into disabling any scanning to see if that helps.

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
    Anyone having crashes should read the latest update on indiegogo. They have an identified a bug in some batches and they have delayed shipments for only a few days. They will also release a tool to fix the ones that already went out and people have.
    I think this is for the very latest, newest ones with the new CPU they had to get due to shortages, Not very many people will have that yet.

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
    I just ordered mine, should I cancel it. I am worried after now reading these posts.
    You can if you want. I have two from the earliest time and have ordered a third which I will have to wait a while for.

Cancel your order, someone else can grab it.

Top Liked Posts

Are there guys who would like to test a possible VW/VAG crash fix? Please pass me your device name (AAWireless-xxxxx).
      I would like to test please. My device is AAWireless-nxKUQLfc

Thank you!
      Done, you should be able to update.
      OTA will be rolled out to second batch devices from next week. This will be version 1.2.2 with some specific WiFi related fixes for the second batch devices. We were planning to release this earlier, but that went all a bit sideways...
      All first batch devices should be able to update to 1.2.0. I fixed a bug in the backend few days ago which caused the 1.2.0 not being shown for some. If the update still does not show, please create a support ticket and provide your device name so we can investigate :)
      I have a similar problem with our pacifica hybrid. It seems to keep the usb port powered on for an oddly long time. Most of the electronics turn off with the door opening, but not the usb port for some reason. Not so much worried about the effect on the car battery as the effect on my phone staying connected to the car with AA running when I'm home. Would be nice if the unit could detect this and turn off the wifi/bluetooth to force the phone to disconnect.
      It's a complex issue, but surprisingly common so the devs are working on a solution for exactly that. I don't have any details or timeline, but stay tuned!
      Some edited thoughts on my settings with AAWireless Connect 1.7.0 that may help someone.

I have a 10.25 Hyundai head unit. I think that the Wireless Projection function of this unit is the same for KIA and Genesis 10.25 inch head units. This head unit first appeared in 2019 Korean model years and is very flexible when used with with AAWireless.

Here are the settings in the AAWireless Connect app version 1.7.0 that I use and what also works with my head unit.

USB Mode I use MTP, but Direct works as well. The head unit responds a bit faster with MTP.

Passthrough I have it turned off. The head unit works with Passthrough turned on, but DPI, Remove tap restriction, Disable Audio Sink, AutoVideo Focus and Developer mode cannot be processed by AAWireless when on. When on the exact encrypted data conversation is transmitted between your phone and the head unit. When off, AAWireless joins the conversation to inject those Experimental Features.

Force 2.4Ghz I have it turned off. The 5Ghz channel used is 40. This feature will turn off 5Ghz Wi-Fi in favor of 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi on channel 1.

WiFi connect timeout I now leave this at the default 20 seconds. For a couple of months after the initial conversion to Android 11, my Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G phone would not connect to AAWireless on the first try. It would always connect on the second try. Samsung fixed their problem with a subsequent update. But while this was a problem, reducing the WiFi connect timeout to 5 seconds really helped.

Adjust audio timestamp I have it turned off. The head unit also works with it turned on. Turn this on if you notice things out of sync.

Change DPI I use 130 to see more of the map. Lower numbers make the area of the map shown larger but the text will be smaller. The number 0 will restore the default used by your phone, head unit combination.

On my head unit, using the number 103 will put Android Auto into wide mode with map and media side by side. But it is still only displayed in the left portion of the screen, and much of the text is too small for me to read.

Remove tap restriction I turn this on, it helps me with my on phone music collection. The head unit works with this off. Some other head units will not update your GPS map position properly with this option on.

Disable Audio Sink I have this turned off. Turning this on will make your phone use something else for audio. In my case it is the phone's speaker.

Auto video focus I have this turned on. This option tells my Infotainment system to switch to Android Auto when AAWireless connects. I don't have to navigate through the screens to get Android Auto up where I can see it.

Developer Mode I have this turned off. The head unit works with this turned on. An app update will be needed to correct the text. Frankly, I am not sure what is enabled by setting this on, but Emil is sure some of you will know.

I often use the app with the AAWireless device plugged into a USB A power source, like a power supply or a charging port in your vehicle. The Android Auto traffic going through the device can make app less responsive.

When an OTA is available, it is better to download the OTA with the AAWireless device powered off and your phone on WiFi. Once the download has completed, turn on AAWireless, link to it again and upload the OTA to the device.

I use a large microSD card in my phone (Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G) to store my music collection. I play the music with Rocket Music Player. Works very well under Android Auto.

LeRoy
      For all users who have frequent headunit reboots with their VW MIB headunit:

I noticed that the supplied usb cable was quite loose in the car usb port. A slight touch would disable the connection.

I then bought a short 30cm USB-IF cable which sits in the USB A port a little bit more snuggly. (My former official VW cable didn't work at all with AAWireless).

Then I also enabled "Enable Audio Latency Dump" in the Android Auto developer settings.

Didn't have a single headunit reboot in two weeks now where before it was usually at least once per drive.

I don't know if it was the cable or the AA setting - or both. But it's surely worth a try if you have frequent headunit reboots.
      Hi All! First of all big thank you for the product, it brings my android auto experience to another level.

Just one question
      One of the last indiegogo update mentioned upcoming "Connect/disconnect with car" function to prevent connection when car ignition is off, but car usb still has power.

This is basically my only issue with the device, but can be annoying when I am on the phone and trying to get out of the car.

I just installed the updated app, but I can't seem to find it. Is it me being lame, or it not implemented yet.

Thanks a lot, and keep up the great work you are doing!

Gabor
      We removed it for now, it's not stable enough for the general public. Will be there in version 1.8 of the app.
      We needed to push an new app version with support for OTA updating second batch devices ASAP, so we decided to push an intermediate version. This was all planned two weeks ago, but yeah... That went a bit sideways.
      There will be an Indiegogo update soon with more information.
      This thread is dedicated for AAWireless users.

AAWireless is a device which allows you to transform your existing wired Android Auto compatible unit into a Wireless Android Auto unit.

General chat, experience sharing and community support should be expected as well as support from the developers of the product: @Snirpo and myself.
      @jahandy

Here are the LED codes.

Solid Green, the device is booting, should complete in under 12 seconds. Both the Bluetooth and WiFi are not active until after the boot is completed.

Blinking Green, the device has activated Bluetooth and is waiting for a WiFi connection from your phone. You will only be able to pair while under blinking green.

Blinking Blue, the device has fully connected with your phone and is attempting to connect with your head unit via USB.

Solid Blue, the device is full connected with your phone and the head unit. The first time you connect you may need to set some Android Auto permissions and some head units may also produce prompts for you to answer.

Red, an error has occurred, the device will attempt recovery after a timeout.

LeRoy
      Hey all, and thanks so much to the developers for bringing this great product to life!

I just wanted to share my experience with the setup process because I had a rocky start and maybe someone with similar issues finds it useful. Please don't yell at me if most of it has already been posted! ;-)

Car: Nissan Leaf MY19 / Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9 (One UI 2.5, Android 10)

Open Android Auto for phones and activate wireless mode:
      The basic prerequisite is to enable wireless projection in the Android Auto for phones app. So if there's no Android Auto app in your app drawer, first download the app, and enable wireless projection in its settings. If that setting isn't there, activate developer mode by tapping the version number at the bottom of the settings several times. In the menu on the upper right enter developer settings and activate the setting for enabling wireless projection. Return to the main settings, find the new wireless setting and activate it, too.

Connect to AAWireless via Bluetooth and starting of Android Auto:
      First of, I would have liked a little more insight on how to connect to what exactly.

The AAWireless config app is actually not necessary but provides some troubleshooting options in case the setup is unsuccessful and offers some tweaks for advanced users.

The regular process as I understand is the following:
      1) Turn ignition on and connect AAWireless via cable to the car's USB port. Nothing happens on the car's head unit just yet.
      2) Connect the phone to AAWireless via Bluetooth.
      3) The phone should receive WiFi-Settings from AAWireless via Bluetooth and then connect to AAWireless' WiFi without any user input.
      4) Android Auto starts automatically on the phone and becomes available on the car's head unit.
      Now the phone stays connected via both Bluetooth and WiFi.
      From now on whenever the phone is near the AAWireless device it will connect to it automatically and thus activate Android Auto on the phone and the car's head unit.

Throughout my whole setup process I encountered all kinds of LED states: green, red, blue, blinking steadily, constantly lit and whatnot. Frankly I just ignored the LED because without an official legend I find if futile to try and decipher the meanings.

No Android Auto after successful Bluetooth connection:
      My first problem arose right after initiating the Bluetooth connection to AAWireless on my phone. Nothing would happen afterwards.
      So I followed the steps outlined in the FAQ:
      When connected via Bluetooth to AAWireless I opened the AAWireless config app which would take a while to read the settings from the device and sometimes nothing would happen. I unplugged, replugged, disconnected, unpaired and re-paired A LOT.

Finally, I got a working connection by selecting Direct for USB mode and enabling Passthrough mode. After saving and re-plugging the device Android Auto would magically appear on my phone and car.
      But - just once.

Stops working:

Now, after having had one successful connection I wanted to test if it works reliably. Thus I unplugged AAWireless for a minute and plugged it back in. The result: again my phone connected via Bluetooth and nothing else happened.
      I tried all kinds of stuff, like deleting the app caches, uninstalling Android Auto, unpairing etc. I got it working again from time to time but not reliably.
      To add insult to injury my husband's OnePlus 3T started Android Auto effortlessly right. away. without. any. hassles. whatsoever. over. and. over.

So I factory reset my phone!
      I know, no one wants to hear this but it actually helped. I've never done a reset in the 2.5 years I've had my phone and I dreaded it. But after all this time, 200 apps, 2 major Android updates and a lot of general tinkering I didn't have to coerce myself too hard. After resetting the S9 I could easily initiate the connection via Bluetooth, it would connect to WiFi and start Android Auto. Over and over.

No internet

Then I ran into the next major problem: the dreaded no internet because WiFi problem. My phone is set to connect to the internet via the cell network in case WiFi is unstable. I also tried the setting in the phone's developer options which keeps the phone connected to mobile data all the time. Both settings didn't change the fact that even though the status bar showed a 4G icon, Google couldn't be reached in Android Auto.

The solution is another brain melter for me. When the phone informed me that WiFi data was unstable I must instinctively have tapped 'Keep WiFi'. This actually kills mobile data and forces all data requests through the non working WiFi connection! As stupid as it sounds: just ignoring the popup keeps both mobile data and WiFi active while choosing an option will sabotage wireless Android Auto. This is clearly Google's fault because they obviously forgot to code an exception for Android Auto to keep it from throwing this error.

Now AAWireless seems to work as it should.

One more thing I had to learn even before going wireless: Samsung's power saving settings can mess up your phone's GPS in Android Auto. It took me a while to figure out that one thing power saver does is it stops the GPS when the phone screen is off. It makes no exception for Android Auto. Thus I could use Maps and Waze on the phone but as soon as I was on Android Auto it would just show me an approximate location and 'jump' from street to street as it only used cell tower data for positioning.

So, good luck to those who face issues, enjoy your wireless Android Auto to those who got it and got it working and a huge thanks to the team who made AAWireless!
      OTA will be rolled out to second batch devices from next week. This will be version 1.2.2 with some specific WiFi related fixes for the second batch devices. We were planning to release this earlier, but that went all a bit sideways...
      All first batch devices should be able to update to 1.2.0. I fixed a bug in the backend few days ago which caused the 1.2.0 not being shown for some. If the update still does not show, please create a support ticket and provide your device name so we can investigate :)
      I tried again later and still have the same issue with the same settings. Not sure why this happens.
      @DevAuto @vizzze

I solved my problem !!! Hope it helps you vizzze, and others who experience bad location accuracy / zoom behaviour with Waze.

Do not activate the tap limit bypass in the experimental features !

I figured out it is not really just deactivating the limit, but makes the system think the car is stopped. Then GPS location is not accurate, and moreover, Waze doesn't work really well. Google maps seems to handle it better but still, GPS location is still approximative.

Once this option is deactivated, the experience is actually flawless. Waze is showing acutal speed, GPS location is accurate, zoom behaves normally.

@DevAuto , IMHO it would be useful to add a disclaimer about this when activating this feature, even if is an experimental one. What I understand here is 100% of the users using the tap limit bypass will experience a bad GPS behaviour, so I'm pretty sure you are going to receive new requests regurlarly.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone