AAWireless - General discussion and support

Search This thread

DMac1900

May 4, 2021
Hi folks,

2nd batch AAWireless, DRAM flashed, firmware updated to 1.2.3
2019 Citroen C4 Spacetourer (Picasso), factory spec head unit
Realme X2 Pro, realme UI Android 10

Connection between the phone/AAWireless/car works fine. Since the firmware update the problem with audio dropouts seems to be gone too. I've had a couple of disconnections from the car, but those may just be AA glitches. I was able to get straight back in through the car menu.
I've set the auto video focus option in both the AAWireless setup and the AA developer settings, but this doesn't seem to have any effect on my car.

I have one significant problem - getting the phone to switch to mobile data when connected to AAWireless.
I have activated the Wi-Fi assistant in the Wi-Fi settings and turned on the option to auto switch to a mobile network if all of the Wi-Fi networks are poor quality. Unfortunately the phone won't actually switch unless I unlock it and confirm an on screen "Tooltip" prompt to allow this.
I have set the "Mobile data always active" switch in the Android developer options and tried turning off the phone's "Data saver" option. Neither of these fixed it.
"Passthrough" in the AAWireles settings didn't work either.

Secondary to this problem, if I do 'allow' the switch the phone just jumps to another wi-fi network if there's one in range. (this disconnects it from AAWireless, so it switches back and the cycle repeats...)

This is a real pain, having to get the phone out, unlock it and clear the prompt is more hassle than connecting it via USB (I use a magnetic connection).

I don't know whether there is any way for the AAWireless software to work around this, it appears to be a phone thing.
I would welcome any suggestions for possible fixes.

Thanks in advance...

Voorvenkat

Apr 4, 2017
So after I updated the AAW in the GTI last night I took it for a spin tonight just now and noticed that AAW was rebooting on the way, the fourth time at least as I was about to park upon arrival, and then again as I was sitting there not even playing music.

It was getting worse and worse for some reason and I realised with the phone in my head than it was like it was having buttons pressed. I thought it was the web page I was on but it was due to the constant reboots of the AAW.

Never did I see the VW logo, the headunit was fine, only Appconnect was going up and down and eventually it was starting Ave rebooting over and over.

I tried some other settings and nothing helped, it would die and start again before the maps showed up. It rebooted all the way home for 20 minutes.

This was with the Baseus cable I used just before I got AAW and was in use before the update.

I found the longer AAW cable and tried it and our seems to have calmed down.

I'll drive the car tomorrow to test it some more.
I also have a VW Polo AW 2019 model. I have received my Aawireless last Saturday and also have errors, like resets, mostly with Spotify and the android assistant, like aske Hey Google for the latest news while navigating and using Spotify... Have direct contact with Snirpo and he informed me the headunit of VW is not working well with the Aawireless dongle. They we will focus to solve this matter with software update, it will take some time. (Wired it works perfect in my Polo AW. ) I use Huawei P30Lite new generation.

I also have tried different settings and reset my VW headunit MIB2 for App connect. But nothing works for a stable unwired connection...Also tried different cables.. so let's wait for a software update of the AA wireless device.

sm753

May 1, 2008
Dallas
Apologies if this has been answered. I did search the thread and didn't find what I was looking for. The info in the FAQ is pretty generic too. What is the actual difference between all the USB modes? All the various MTP modes vs direct? Which mode is recommended?

Dion.Dube

Apr 3, 2020
Nope that's pretty much it. But it keeps trying to reconnect several times before it gives up. Annoying if you're trying to use your phone right away, but definitely not a deal breaker.

Do you also have to use Pass-through mode on yours to get it to connect reliably? MTP seems to never actually connect in my car.
I use MTP with retry mode which seems to work pretty good 9/10 times.

Reactions: xxBrun0xx

jasalta387

Aug 12, 2010
Salta
I have an update for successful connection (at last) with Nissan Qashqai J11 2019. The phone that I use is Samsung Galaxy s20 plus snapdragon (android 11).
- My AA Wireless was from the first batch shipped.
- My version of AAWireless config is 1.7.1.
- The firmware of AA Wireless device is 1.2.0.
- The version of Android Auto app is 6.3.611324.

In order to get the device work I used a USB hub (Belkin 4 Port Travel Hub) see the link below but I believe that other hubs work also.
Then I connected the AA Wireless devive to hub using a original Samsung cable. Regarding the options, I had MTP with retry enabled and disabled the Passthrough. I had also enabled the Auto Video Focus at both the Developers options of Android Auto and at the config app of AA Wireless. With these options the Android Auto works smoothly along with Spotify. I made 2 hours driving without problem.
Additionally, I changed the DPI to 100 to have the Android Auto split screen. You can see the attached image for the result. Personally I would like the letters to be bigger so today I will check with DPI to 90.

View attachment 5300121

A lot of thanks to Emil for the time he spent and his suggestions.
Hey! Good to hear you managed to find a way. I just tried with two usb hubs I have at home but it didn't work for me ☹️

BTW, what's the software version of you head unit?

kouklo

Nov 6, 2013
So I have noticed a lot of people are having issues with Nissan cars, and I'm in that group too.
I'm running the latest firmware on AAWireless and no matter what setting/option I use or change I can't get it to connect on my 2019 Nissan Rouge.
At first, I thought it was the device itself but I tried it on my other car that's running one of those cheap Chinese head units (Joying) and it working perfectly. On a side note, I still can't understand why they would implement Android Auto on an Android tablet, anyway it works.
I have tried 6 different cables and 4 different phones and it's always the same thing.
Nothing comes up on the car screen and the phones go berserk. The "looking for android auto" notification always stays up. When I open AA myself it consistently opens and closes, almost like it's connecting and disconnecting every few seconds. Also, the AAWireless devise reboots every 60ish seconds.
Like I said before it has the latest firmware and it worked great on my Joying head unit.

jasalta387

Aug 12, 2010
Salta
So I have noticed a lot of people are having issues with Nissan cars, and I'm in that group too.
I'm running the latest firmware on AAWireless and no matter what setting/option I use or change I can't get it to connect on my 2019 Nissan Rouge.
At first, I thought it was the device itself but I tried it on my other car that's running one of those cheap Chinese head units (Joying) and it working perfectly. On a side note, I still can't understand why they would implement Android Auto on an Android tablet, anyway it works.
I have tried 6 different cables and 4 different phones and it's always the same thing.
Nothing comes up on the car screen and the phones go berserk. The "looking for android auto" notification always stays up. When I open AA myself it consistently opens and closes, almost like it's connecting and disconnecting every few seconds. Also, the AAWireless devise reboots every 60ish seconds.
Like I said before it has the latest firmware and it worked great on my Joying head unit.
So far I heard of European Nissan Qashqai. I think the Rogue is the American version of it.

As you describe, no matter what I do I get no laucher on the head unit.

However, @mc01319 got it to work using a USB hub and MTP with retry. Check it out: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/aawireless-general-discussion-and-support.4247677/post-84958305

I tried the usb hub and cables with no luck ☹️

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
I also have a VW Polo AW 2019 model. I have received my Aawireless last Saturday and also have errors, like resets, mostly with Spotify and the android assistant, like aske Hey Google for the latest news while navigating and using Spotify... Have direct contact with Snirpo and he informed me the headunit of VW is not working well with the Aawireless dongle. They we will focus to solve this matter with software update, it will take some time. (Wired it works perfect in my Polo AW. ) I use Huawei P30Lite new generation.

I also have tried different settings and reset my VW headunit MIB2 for App connect. But nothing works for a stable unwired connection...Also tried different cables.. so let's wait for a software update of the AA wireless device.
I'll surely keep waiting for updates etc. This morning in the GTI there were a couple of audio glitches and I'll see how that pans out for the rest of the driving later on.

I have found a small update for the software in the Polo headunit, just looking into if it's something I can safely do myself. Worth a try.

mc01319

Sep 5, 2010

So far I heard of European Nissan Qashqai. I think the Rogue is the American version of it.

As you describe, no matter what I do I get no laucher on the head unit.

However, @mc01319 got it to work using a USB hub and MTP with retry. Check it out: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/aawireless-general-discussion-and-support.4247677/post-84958305

I tried the usb hub and cables with no luck ☹️

I confirm that with the specific hub it works without problem. I will try other hubs also to give you feedback guys.

@jasalta387 I will check the software version of my unit and I will inform you. Please do this: Connect the hub, the cable and the AA Wireless device. Choose the options that I describe in my previous post. Leave and lock the car, wait some time (5 minutes minimum) until the led of the AA Wireless device to turn off due to lack of power and then return to your car and check if you have the AA icon in your unit. Please do not unplug the hub, the cable and AA Wireless device. Try this and let me know.

Reactions: jasalta387

AndreaR71

Jan 9, 2018
Hello everybody. Is there any of you who use AAW with a SUZUKI (Bosch SLDA)? I use a Suzuki Vitara (2015), infotainment last update (1880_190821), and I'm having a lot of problems using the device, it struggles to connect, and the few times it does after a short ride it disconnects. I first used a OnePlus 5t smartphone updated to Android 10, and now I use a POCO F3 with native Android 11 and MIUI 12.0.5, both with the same problems. If any of you have a SUZUKI and have managed to get it to work, would it be nice to post their full settings? I have tried them all (and I have also used other usb cables) but without success. Thank you!

Lucas_Skyline

May 11, 2011
Fortaleza - CE

I'll surely keep waiting for updates etc. This morning in the GTI there were a couple of audio glitches and I'll see how that pans out for the rest of the driving later on.

I have found a small update for the software in the Polo headunit, just looking into if it's something I can safely do myself. Worth a try.

I also have a VW Polo (2020, with MIB2.5) and I managed to get AAWireless after a few mods (in the beginnig, it was not working, or taking very long to connect). I will have they listed here, maybe they can help you out:

If you have a Samsung phone:
1. Added AAWireless and AndroidAuto to the list of apps that do not sleep (preveting battery saving features from Samsung phones)
2. Added a Bixby Routine to press the Home button to wake the Wireless connection as soon as the Bluetooth is connected.
3. Enabled "show network quality info" in Wi-Fi settings

On AndroidAuto app
4. Enabled developer settings
5. Enabled Wifi projection
6. Enabled request focus on start

On AAWireless
7. Enabled Auto video focus
8. Changed the USB Mode from MTP to Direct.

The killer change was number 8 for me.

jasalta387

Aug 12, 2010
Salta
Please do this: Connect the hub, the cable and the AA Wireless device. Choose the options that I describe in my previous post. Leave and lock the car, wait some time (5 minutes minimum) until the led of the AA Wireless device to turn off due to lack of power and then return to your car and check if you have the AA icon in your unit. Please do not unplug the hub, the cable and AA Wireless device. Try this and let me know.
I did it, and it didn't work: connected via hub, locked the car, came back after 5+ minutes when the device was powered off. Turned it on. Nothing as usual. I went back home.

When I was home, while connected to AA wireless, I tried to connect to my home wifi and suddenly it connected to AA wireless again, but this time, the notification told me to check the screen of my car. Went back running to the car and it was working! It worked like a charm for about 20 minutes where I decided to stop the car and restart. But then it was gone, no way it will work again :(

Tried a few times to reproduce the steps I followed, but nothing worked.

Daniellvu

May 6, 2021
My car is 2018 VW Tiguan, Cellphone is Huawei mate 20 pro.
2nd batch AAWireless, DRAM flashed, firmware updated to 1.2.3, but i'm still experiencing audio glitch/drop on spotify, spotiry screen freeze then AA reboot

Reactions: Voorvenkat

Marshy33

Nov 28, 2015
My car is 2018 VW Tiguan, Cellphone is Huawei mate 20 pro.
2nd batch AAWireless, DRAM flashed, firmware updated to 1.2.3, but i'm still experiencing audio glitch/drop on spotify, spotiry screen freeze then AA reboot

The reboot of the headunit is a common issue with the technisat mib2. Updating to the latest software for the headunit has helped some, but not all.

If you hold down menu on your headunit for 3-5 seconds, click update then version and send me your SW train, I can see if there's an update available.

Emil and chiel are aware of the issue and looking into possible solutions.

sibesaver

Sep 30, 2010
Moore, OK
Phone Pixel 2 XL
Head unit Kenwood DDX9704S
AAW first batch unit running 1.2.0 firmware

Anyone have ideas on reducing the connection time. Mine seems to hang at "looking for Android Auto", AAW blinking green, about 20 seconds after the head unit is fully booted. I have tasker but I'm not sure it can be used to speed things up. Ideas?

Last edited:

Daniellvu

May 6, 2021
The reboot of the headunit is a common issue with the technisat mib2. Updating to the latest software for the headunit has helped some, but not all.

If you hold down menu on your headunit for 3-5 seconds, click update then version and send me your SW train, I can see if there's an update available.

Emil and chiel are aware of the issue and looking into possible solutions.
SW train is MST2_US_VW_P0867D

majorsam

May 7, 2021
I'm an AAWireless beta tester and have a 2018 Audi SQ5. I support AAWireless on Audi vehicles through Audiworkd and Audizine forums (and here). I haven't been contacted by anyone yet with the touchscreen interface. Hopefully that's good news. Since AAWireless works well on my 2018 SQ5 MMI, I'm hoping that they haven't changed the MMI code significantly beneath the surface.
Hoping you can shed some light for me. I too have a 2018 SQ5, the dongle is updated to 1.2.3 and has worked once. Now no matter how I change the settings AA will not show up on the MMI even though it says AA is connected on my phone. When it worked it was on Direct mode, Wireless AA enabled but the dongle would restart AA every 10m or so, so I flashed the DRAM again which was successful but since AA will not show up on the MMI.

Have tried the other MTP modes, passthrough and will not budge. Under the MMI's Smartphone Manager, my phone is greyed out with a box and no checkmark. Have tried to redo the setup process via forgetting and clearing the storage for both AA and AAW app but still no AA on MMI. Tried different cable and still no. Rebooted MMI, unplug dongle and still wont work. AA does work when I use a cable connection.

mc01319

Sep 5, 2010
I did it, and it didn't work: connected via hub, locked the car, came back after 5+ minutes when the device was powered off. Turned it on. Nothing as usual. I went back home.

When I was home, while connected to AA wireless, I tried to connect to my home wifi and suddenly it connected to AA wireless again, but this time, the notification told me to check the screen of my car. Went back running to the car and it was working! It worked like a charm for about 20 minutes where I decided to stop the car and restart. But then it was gone, no way it will work again :(

Tried a few times to reproduce the steps I followed, but nothing worked.

I think that you are very close.

Today I will check the software version of my unit.

The notification you mentioned, appears to me everytime I start the car and then I connect with the Android Auto icon.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Some edited thoughts on my settings with AAWireless Config 1.8.2 that may help someone. This version of the app works best with OTA firmware version 1.3.0. Which should be available soon for all versions of the AAWireless device. It may also be used with OTA firmware 1.2.x, but we have identified some problems that are fixed in OTA firmware 1.3.0. Update when you get the chance.

The 1.8.x version of the app introduces the Start / Stop option.

I have a 10.25 Hyundai head unit. I think that the Wireless Projection function of this unit is the same for KIA and Genesis 10.25 inch head units. This head unit first appeared in 2019 Korean model years and is very flexible when used with with AAWireless.

Here are the settings in the AAWireless Connect app version 1.8.2 that I use and what also works with my head unit.

USB Mode I use MTP, but Direct works as well. The head unit responds a bit faster with MTP.

Passthrough I have it turned off. The head unit works with Passthrough turned on, but DPI, Remove tap restriction, Disable Audio Sink, AutoVideo Focus and Developer mode cannot be processed by AAWireless when on. When on the exact encrypted data conversation is transmitted between your phone and the head unit. When off, AAWireless joins the conversation to inject those Experimental Features.

Force 2.4Ghz I have it turned off. The 5Ghz channel used is 40. This feature will turn off 5Ghz Wi-Fi in favor of 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi on channel 1.

Start / Stop I have this turned on. What it is designed for is those vehicles that keep the USB port powered on while the ignition is off. My Hyundai keeps the USB port powered for several minutes after I turn off the car and leave vehicle. With this turned off, my phone won't connect to my home network.

WiFi connect timeout I now leave this at the default 20 seconds. For a couple of months after the initial conversion to Android 11, my Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G phone would not connect to AAWireless on the first try. It would always connect on the second try. Samsung fixed their problem with a subsequent update. But while this was a problem, reducing the WiFi connect timeout to 5 seconds really helped.

Adjust audio timestamp I have it turned off. The head unit also works with it turned on. Turn this on if you notice things out of sync. With OTA firmware 1.3.0, enabling this option will help with certain Volkswagen Auto Group (VAG) head units that crash when playing audio.

Change DPI I use 130 to see more of the map. Lower numbers make the area of the map shown larger but the text will be smaller. The number 0 will restore the default used by your phone, head unit combination.

On my head unit, using the number 103 will put Android Auto into wide mode with map and media side by side. But it is still only displayed in the left portion of the screen, and much of the text is too small for me to read.

Remove tap restriction I turn this on, it helps me with my on phone music collection. The head unit works with this off. Some other head units will not update your GPS map position properly with this option on.

Disable Audio Sink I have this turned off. Turning this on will make your phone use something else for audio. In my case it is the phone's speaker.

Auto video focus I have this turned on. This option tells my Infotainment system to switch to Android Auto when AAWireless connects. I don't have to navigate through the screens to get Android Auto up where I can see it.

Developer Mode I have this turned off. The head unit works with this turned on. An app update will be needed to correct the text. Frankly, I am not sure what is enabled by setting this on, but Emil is sure some of you will know.

I often use the app with the AAWireless device plugged into a USB A power source, like a power supply or a charging port in your vehicle. The Android Auto traffic going through the device can make app less responsive.

When an OTA is available, it is better to download the OTA with the AAWireless device powered off and your phone on WiFi. Once the download has completed, turn on AAWireless, link to it again and upload the OTA to the device.

I use a large microSD card in my phone (Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G) to store my music collection. I play the music with Rocket Music Player. Works very well under Android Auto.

LeRoy
    I think it would be really helpful for a dedicated forum structure for AAW. It should/could be organized by head unit type and cell phone type and then people can see what settings are working and not waste a bunch of time trying random configurations and then eventually getting lost because their troubleshooting skills are not great. It would also be great if the software came with preconfigured templates you can use by telling it what type of vehicle you have and what cellphone you have, I am sure that would be a ton of work but it would make for a vastly improved user experience for the masses.
    New version of the AAWireless config app in the Beta channel. 1.8.1

Fixes a problem found with the new Start / Stop feature. There is still a problem when you turn the Start / Stop setting off. You will need to cycle the USB power on the device for it to take effect. Future firmware for the AAWireless device will be needed to address that problem.

So if you have a vehicle that leaves the USB power on after you turn off the ignition, give the 1.8.1 Beta a try.

LeRoy
    For those of you using the AAWireless Config app Beta 1.8.0. The new Start / Stop option will trigger a white led when the device is waiting for the vehicle bluetooth to connect to your phone.

Right now with firmware 1.2.x the white LED is solid, in the near future firmware 1.3.0 and onward it will be flashing white.

When you see the white LED, the device is powered, but the Wireless Android Auto protocol is disabled. When your phone connects to the vehicle bluetooth, the Wireless Android Auto protocol is enabled. The effect is to allow normal connection to other Wi-Fi networks whenever the Wireless Android Auto protocol is disabled.

Whenever your USB port is powered, the AAWireless device will be powered up. So if your USB port is powered all the time, you should probably unplug the AAWireless device when get on the ship for your world cruise. Although the battery drain of the powered AAWireless device will be very small, extended periods of time may drain your battery enough that you will notice. ( My KILL A WATT EZ cannot measure the combination of a USB charger with the AAWireless device in Start / Stop standby. The combined wattage is too low to register for that instrument. )

The Beta testers have identified a problem with Start / Stop. There will be another version coming.

LeRoy
    Here are the LED codes for OTA firmware 1.3.0. Added Blinking White to the list

Solid Green, the device is booting, should complete in under 12 seconds. Both the Bluetooth and WiFi are not active until after the boot is completed.

Blinking Green, the device has activated Bluetooth and is waiting for a WiFi connection from your phone. You will only be able to pair while under blinking green.

Blinking White, the device has completed boot and is waiting for the Head Unit Bluetooth to connect with your phone. The device will not take over the Wi-Fi on your phone while it is blinking white. You will be able to connect your phone to any other Wi-Fi network. Use the Start / Stop Option to enable this mode.

Blinking Blue, the device has fully connected with your phone and is attempting to connect with your head unit via USB.

Solid Blue, the device is full connected with your phone and the head unit. The first time you connect you may need to set some Android Auto permissions and some head units may also produce prompts for you to answer.

Solid Yellow, the device is loading an OTA update into memory.

Red, an error has occurred, the device will attempt recovery after a timeout.

None / Black The LED will not be active when you first apply power for a very brief time. And the LED will not be active at all when the device is ready to be flashed from your computer. It will remain inactive until the flash program completes loading the firmware and reboots the device.

The general rule is that blinking means the device is waiting for something to happen. Solid means the device is engaged in some type of work.

LeRoy
    This thread is dedicated for AAWireless users.

AAWireless is a device which allows you to transform your existing wired Android Auto compatible unit into a Wireless Android Auto unit.

General chat, experience sharing and community support should be expected as well as support from the developers of the product: @Snirpo and myself.
    We fixed the "VW Headunit crashing on skipping tracks" issue now completely. Confirmed it's a bug on the HU side, latency makes it worse. We will probably push a new firmware by the end of this week.
    I will also submit a bug report to Google, cause they can fix/workaround this issue as well for cabled users.
    @jahandy

Here are the LED codes.

Solid Green, the device is booting, should complete in under 12 seconds. Both the Bluetooth and WiFi are not active until after the boot is completed.

Blinking Green, the device has activated Bluetooth and is waiting for a WiFi connection from your phone. You will only be able to pair while under blinking green.

Blinking Blue, the device has fully connected with your phone and is attempting to connect with your head unit via USB.

Solid Blue, the device is full connected with your phone and the head unit. The first time you connect you may need to set some Android Auto permissions and some head units may also produce prompts for you to answer.

Red, an error has occurred, the device will attempt recovery after a timeout.

LeRoy
    Hey all, and thanks so much to the developers for bringing this great product to life!

I just wanted to share my experience with the setup process because I had a rocky start and maybe someone with similar issues finds it useful. Please don't yell at me if most of it has already been posted! ;-)

Car: Nissan Leaf MY19 / Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9 (One UI 2.5, Android 10)

Open Android Auto for phones and activate wireless mode:
    The basic prerequisite is to enable wireless projection in the Android Auto for phones app. So if there's no Android Auto app in your app drawer, first download the app, and enable wireless projection in its settings. If that setting isn't there, activate developer mode by tapping the version number at the bottom of the settings several times. In the menu on the upper right enter developer settings and activate the setting for enabling wireless projection. Return to the main settings, find the new wireless setting and activate it, too.

Connect to AAWireless via Bluetooth and starting of Android Auto:
    First of, I would have liked a little more insight on how to connect to what exactly.

The AAWireless config app is actually not necessary but provides some troubleshooting options in case the setup is unsuccessful and offers some tweaks for advanced users.

The regular process as I understand is the following:
    1) Turn ignition on and connect AAWireless via cable to the car's USB port. Nothing happens on the car's head unit just yet.
    2) Connect the phone to AAWireless via Bluetooth.
    3) The phone should receive WiFi-Settings from AAWireless via Bluetooth and then connect to AAWireless' WiFi without any user input.
    4) Android Auto starts automatically on the phone and becomes available on the car's head unit.
    Now the phone stays connected via both Bluetooth and WiFi.
    From now on whenever the phone is near the AAWireless device it will connect to it automatically and thus activate Android Auto on the phone and the car's head unit.

Throughout my whole setup process I encountered all kinds of LED states: green, red, blue, blinking steadily, constantly lit and whatnot. Frankly I just ignored the LED because without an official legend I find if futile to try and decipher the meanings.

No Android Auto after successful Bluetooth connection:
    My first problem arose right after initiating the Bluetooth connection to AAWireless on my phone. Nothing would happen afterwards.
    So I followed the steps outlined in the FAQ:
    When connected via Bluetooth to AAWireless I opened the AAWireless config app which would take a while to read the settings from the device and sometimes nothing would happen. I unplugged, replugged, disconnected, unpaired and re-paired A LOT.

Finally, I got a working connection by selecting Direct for USB mode and enabling Passthrough mode. After saving and re-plugging the device Android Auto would magically appear on my phone and car.
    But - just once.

Stops working:

Now, after having had one successful connection I wanted to test if it works reliably. Thus I unplugged AAWireless for a minute and plugged it back in. The result: again my phone connected via Bluetooth and nothing else happened.
    I tried all kinds of stuff, like deleting the app caches, uninstalling Android Auto, unpairing etc. I got it working again from time to time but not reliably.
    To add insult to injury my husband's OnePlus 3T started Android Auto effortlessly right. away. without. any. hassles. whatsoever. over. and. over.

So I factory reset my phone!
    I know, no one wants to hear this but it actually helped. I've never done a reset in the 2.5 years I've had my phone and I dreaded it. But after all this time, 200 apps, 2 major Android updates and a lot of general tinkering I didn't have to coerce myself too hard. After resetting the S9 I could easily initiate the connection via Bluetooth, it would connect to WiFi and start Android Auto. Over and over.

No internet

Then I ran into the next major problem: the dreaded no internet because WiFi problem. My phone is set to connect to the internet via the cell network in case WiFi is unstable. I also tried the setting in the phone's developer options which keeps the phone connected to mobile data all the time. Both settings didn't change the fact that even though the status bar showed a 4G icon, Google couldn't be reached in Android Auto.

The solution is another brain melter for me. When the phone informed me that WiFi data was unstable I must instinctively have tapped 'Keep WiFi'. This actually kills mobile data and forces all data requests through the non working WiFi connection! As stupid as it sounds: just ignoring the popup keeps both mobile data and WiFi active while choosing an option will sabotage wireless Android Auto. This is clearly Google's fault because they obviously forgot to code an exception for Android Auto to keep it from throwing this error.

Now AAWireless seems to work as it should.

One more thing I had to learn even before going wireless: Samsung's power saving settings can mess up your phone's GPS in Android Auto. It took me a while to figure out that one thing power saver does is it stops the GPS when the phone screen is off. It makes no exception for Android Auto. Thus I could use Maps and Waze on the phone but as soon as I was on Android Auto it would just show me an approximate location and 'jump' from street to street as it only used cell tower data for positioning.

So, good luck to those who face issues, enjoy your wireless Android Auto to those who got it and got it working and a huge thanks to the team who made AAWireless!
    Some edited thoughts on my settings with AAWireless Config 1.8.2 that may help someone. This version of the app works best with OTA firmware version 1.3.0. Which should be available soon for all versions of the AAWireless device. It may also be used with OTA firmware 1.2.x, but we have identified some problems that are fixed in OTA firmware 1.3.0. Update when you get the chance.

The 1.8.x version of the app introduces the Start / Stop option.

I have a 10.25 Hyundai head unit. I think that the Wireless Projection function of this unit is the same for KIA and Genesis 10.25 inch head units. This head unit first appeared in 2019 Korean model years and is very flexible when used with with AAWireless.

Here are the settings in the AAWireless Connect app version 1.8.2 that I use and what also works with my head unit.

USB Mode I use MTP, but Direct works as well. The head unit responds a bit faster with MTP.

Passthrough I have it turned off. The head unit works with Passthrough turned on, but DPI, Remove tap restriction, Disable Audio Sink, AutoVideo Focus and Developer mode cannot be processed by AAWireless when on. When on the exact encrypted data conversation is transmitted between your phone and the head unit. When off, AAWireless joins the conversation to inject those Experimental Features.

Force 2.4Ghz I have it turned off. The 5Ghz channel used is 40. This feature will turn off 5Ghz Wi-Fi in favor of 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi on channel 1.

Start / Stop I have this turned on. What it is designed for is those vehicles that keep the USB port powered on while the ignition is off. My Hyundai keeps the USB port powered for several minutes after I turn off the car and leave vehicle. With this turned off, my phone won't connect to my home network.

WiFi connect timeout I now leave this at the default 20 seconds. For a couple of months after the initial conversion to Android 11, my Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G phone would not connect to AAWireless on the first try. It would always connect on the second try. Samsung fixed their problem with a subsequent update. But while this was a problem, reducing the WiFi connect timeout to 5 seconds really helped.

Adjust audio timestamp I have it turned off. The head unit also works with it turned on. Turn this on if you notice things out of sync. With OTA firmware 1.3.0, enabling this option will help with certain Volkswagen Auto Group (VAG) head units that crash when playing audio.

Change DPI I use 130 to see more of the map. Lower numbers make the area of the map shown larger but the text will be smaller. The number 0 will restore the default used by your phone, head unit combination.

On my head unit, using the number 103 will put Android Auto into wide mode with map and media side by side. But it is still only displayed in the left portion of the screen, and much of the text is too small for me to read.

Remove tap restriction I turn this on, it helps me with my on phone music collection. The head unit works with this off. Some other head units will not update your GPS map position properly with this option on.

Disable Audio Sink I have this turned off. Turning this on will make your phone use something else for audio. In my case it is the phone's speaker.

Auto video focus I have this turned on. This option tells my Infotainment system to switch to Android Auto when AAWireless connects. I don't have to navigate through the screens to get Android Auto up where I can see it.

Developer Mode I have this turned off. The head unit works with this turned on. An app update will be needed to correct the text. Frankly, I am not sure what is enabled by setting this on, but Emil is sure some of you will know.

I often use the app with the AAWireless device plugged into a USB A power source, like a power supply or a charging port in your vehicle. The Android Auto traffic going through the device can make app less responsive.

When an OTA is available, it is better to download the OTA with the AAWireless device powered off and your phone on WiFi. Once the download has completed, turn on AAWireless, link to it again and upload the OTA to the device.

I use a large microSD card in my phone (Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G) to store my music collection. I play the music with Rocket Music Player. Works very well under Android Auto.

LeRoy
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone