AAWireless - General discussion and support

Search This thread

deadman1717

Oct 8, 2019
Only bottom bar visible is a Huawei issue. I also get it sometimes on my girlfriend's P30 Pro. This is not so much an AAWireless issue, but more a phone side issue. There's not so much we can do about that. These phones are not officially supported by Google for Android Auto Wireless, there's a reason for that. (Well at least until they maybe eventually get Android 11).
We might put a big disclaimer on the main page of Indiegogo about this, I'll talk to Emil about this.
Funny thing is that the notification bell in the navigation bar is working and opens notifications when clicked on.
Do you have any idea what behavior on the user/phone side exactly triggers this issue?

Jun 15, 2017
Hi,

I also received my AAWireless on the weekend, but as I have a Xiaomi Smartphone I can't get an internet connection via cellular when connected to the wifi network.

I also can't change the settings through the companion app while it works on my old LG phone.

Does anyone know whether it is possible to use an existing wifi hotspot (with an internet connection)? Could either use the one from the car, another phone, or the phone connected to AAWIreless. I thought this would be possible, but could not find an option in the settings to change the network.

tallleroy

• Nov 20, 2015
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Hi, I have 2021 sonata with 10.25 inch head unit. Is it possible to let AA use the entire 10.25 screen?
    Sorry, Hyundai / Kia has not yet enabled the use of the full screen for Android Auto. I have had four software configurations so far with my Palisade. None allow for use of the full screen.

You can see a bit more by setting DPI to 103 in the AAWireless config app. Android auto will show two panes in the left 2/3 of the screen, and you can show something provided by Hyundai on the right third of the screen.

triPanelDisplay.jpg

HofaTheRipper

Apr 26, 2014
    St. Veit an der Glan
    I took a short ride and could not force the hu to restart (spammed the next title button)... i noticed, that some songs dont start immediatly but with a delay... i think thats the trick 😬. (i had the adjust timestamp option off to test)

Hopefully this is the solution 👍
    Update: Had no reboots since the update. (I drove 300km since that)

DerFremde

Mar 4, 2013
    Salzburg
    Got mine last week, works pretty good for me. But most of the time I have to connect manually to the AAWireless-xyz123 bluetooth to start AA. Is there any way to force the Bluetooth connection?
    Car is a Skoda Kodiaq, phone a Pixel 3a.

DAVIZINHO

Nov 2, 2009
    I received mine to spain today (Contribution ID: 4267)
    My car is a honda civic 2018 type-r and conects fine.
    It gave me some errors in the setup procees (i think google assistant is the problem) but after this conects fine with the car and no problem.
    My phone is a xiaomi mi mix2s with android 10 and the problem is not internet connection, but i will try to solve it tomorrow with developers function.

The problem in my case is something that other guys say in this forum.
    Now the device create the wifi hotspot and the phone conect to this hotspot.
    This is a problem for me becasue I use my phone as a hotspot for other devices in my car (a mobile for speedcams, the radio unit to standalone spotify)

I want to mantain the hotspot in the phone and the device conect to it. its important to me to know if this will be a future feature. if its imposible i will sell the device now :-(

thanks a lot

qvert

Oct 10, 2008
    is it normal that in the first 2-3minutes my spotify music + navigation sound sometimes stutter?
    after 2-3 minutes it's gone

It's fine for me, nothing too worry but still wanted to report

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
    is it normal that in the first 2-3minutes my spotify music + navigation sound sometimes stutter?
    after 2-3 minutes it's gone

It's fine for me, nothing too worry but still wanted to report
    Normally not no. What's your device name? (AAWireless-xxxx)

qvert

Oct 10, 2008
    Oh I see you're still on 1.1.0, you can try to update to 1.2.3 to see if that makes it better.
    strange i thought i already did... just did now (or does resetting device removes the OTA too?)

so seems the bug is gone now, but what i now have is when i use audible instead of spotiy my headunit crashes

even though i have a adjust timestamp settings on
    its a VAG one, seat leon from 2020

vizzze

Jan 16, 2011
    Done, you can OTA update.
    Updated and tested a bit.
    I previously updated the software of the headunit of my VW from 359 to 369 and this already improved greatly on technisat; on 359 i had frequently headunit reboots and sound stuttering, with 369 i had a single headunit reboot in a week.
    With this specific MIB2 version i didn't have a single headunit reboot or any kind of problems, great user experience.

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
    I received mine to spain today (Contribution ID: 4267)
    My car is a honda civic 2018 type-r and conects fine.
    It gave me some errors in the setup procees (i think google assistant is the problem) but after this conects fine with the car and no problem.
    My phone is a xiaomi mi mix2s with android 10 and the problem is not internet connection, but i will try to solve it tomorrow with developers function.

The problem in my case is something that other guys say in this forum.
    Now the device create the wifi hotspot and the phone conect to this hotspot.
    This is a problem for me becasue I use my phone as a hotspot for other devices in my car (a mobile for speedcams, the radio unit to standalone spotify)

I want to mantain the hotspot in the phone and the device conect to it. its important to me to know if this will be a future feature. if its imposible i will sell the device now :-(

thanks a lot
    Your wifi request is possible now, I do this with my S20+, I had a routine previously for hotspot on when I connected to the car wifi, and it all still works after setting up the AAW device. It's fine around town but on longer trips I need the cable to provide power, until I get a decent wireless charging setup going.

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
    After trying the VAG fix I haven't had a reboot, but I will try and make that happen, not been driving that much, but the stuttering of the music at times continues.

DAVIZINHO

Nov 2, 2009
    Your wifi request is possible now, I do this with my S20+, I had a routine previously for hotspot on when I connected to the car wifi, and it all still works after setting up the AAW device. It's fine around town but on longer trips I need the cable to provide power, until I get a decent wireless charging setup going.
    thanks a lot i will try,
    My problem now is my xiaomi not have internet while conected to the aawireless, but im changing the rom now and i think this will works.

the power is not a problem, the car have a qi charger.
    thanks

Top Liked Posts

New phone, new wireless experience

Old phone: Huawei P20 Pro, Android 10
      New phone: Google Pixel 5, Android 11

Since 2 weeks, I tested my AAWireless with my new phone, and I can easily see and understand why Android 10 support was limited.

With my P20 Pro (android 10), I was losing Google Maps on a regular basis (with or without navigation guidance) and I had a lot of "freeze" of Android Auto (unable to touch any icon, unresponsive behaviour,..). Sometime my only solution was to disconnect AAWireless and exit Android Auto on my phone and reconnect everything. Also, I had sometime a quick connection between AAWireless and my phone and sometime never connect.

With my new phone (Android 11), connection is really fast and I have no more trouble at all.
      I finally understand all positives comments made by people.
      I tested AAWireless and my new phone with 2 cars: Kia Niro EV 2020 and Jaguar F-Pace 2019. Everything is running fine in both cars.

Thanks a lot to people that share knowledge and experience in this thread.

Have a great day.
      I think it would be really helpful for a dedicated forum structure for AAW. It should/could be organized by head unit type and cell phone type and then people can see what settings are working and not waste a bunch of time trying random configurations and then eventually getting lost because their troubleshooting skills are not great. It would also be great if the software came with preconfigured templates you can use by telling it what type of vehicle you have and what cellphone you have, I am sure that would be a ton of work but it would make for a vastly improved user experience for the masses.
      Firmware 1.4 was supposed to fix the Nissan problem. USB Mode has to be set to 'Default' in the Settings with the app. Then disconnect and reconnect the device. This method has cured several Nissan models when we were testing it.

Avoid Start / Stop for now.

LeRoy
      Long time lurker here as well. It seems like the Chevy/GM guys are having a lot of problems still? My 2017 Corvette is doing the thing where at best it'll flash blue, my phone will claim it connected to my car, the dongle will show up in the car's AA device list, but won't connect to it or project from it. This happens regardless of settings unfortunately.

I'm running on 1.3.0 for reference. Phone connects perfectly via USB. Any hints or tips from fellow Chevy people that got it working?
      The developers tell me that version 1.9.1 of the app and firmware version 1.4.0 are working their way out to all users now.

When the play store updates your app, update the firmware to 1.4.0 with the OTA. Once both are updated, unplug and then plug in the device.

Using the app, set the USB mode to 'Default'. Your GM, Nissan or Peugeot vehicle should connect to the head unit and display AA just like it did with your phone on a cable.

The 'Default' mode is set up in a way where the head unit asks specifically for the interfaces provided by the AAWireless device before making a faulty assumption about which modes the device supports.

It has been predicted that the 'Default' USB mode will work with any head unit in any vehicle that supports cabled Android Auto. If you care to try it once you have the app and the firmware; let us know if it does not work in your car. You may, of course continue to use any USB mode that works for you. The old modes have not changed.

LeRoy
      I have confirmed the problem with Start / Stop not closing Android Auto properly when the vehicle Bluetooth shuts down. Android Auto keeps your phone connected to the AAWireless WiFi while the AAWireless device remains powered.

There will need to be a future OTA firmware update to fix the problem. No timeline available right now.

You may want to disable the Start / Stop feature until it can be sorted out.

LeRoy
      Well bad news, I tried whole morning fixing the WiFi not disconnecting issue on the phone side for the start / stop feature. Something has changed on the Android Auto side which makes AA keep a very tight hold on the WiFi network, it's impossible to disconnect it.
      There is one hack I can apply, which is like we do with OTA, take over the network, and then immediately disconnect it. But I'm pretty sure this won't work correctly on some phones. @tallleroy tested it and it wouldn't work correctly on his Samsung. On my OnePlus it did work fine, but to be honest everything you throw at the OnePlus just works.
      This thread is dedicated for AAWireless users.

AAWireless is a device which allows you to transform your existing wired Android Auto compatible unit into a Wireless Android Auto unit.

General chat, experience sharing and community support should be expected as well as support from the developers of the product: @Snirpo and myself.
      We fixed the "VW Headunit crashing on skipping tracks" issue now completely. Confirmed it's a bug on the HU side, latency makes it worse. We will probably push a new firmware by the end of this week.
      I will also submit a bug report to Google, cause they can fix/workaround this issue as well for cabled users.
      @jahandy

Here are the LED codes.

Solid Green, the device is booting, should complete in under 12 seconds. Both the Bluetooth and WiFi are not active until after the boot is completed.

Blinking Green, the device has activated Bluetooth and is waiting for a WiFi connection from your phone. You will only be able to pair while under blinking green.

Blinking Blue, the device has fully connected with your phone and is attempting to connect with your head unit via USB.

Solid Blue, the device is full connected with your phone and the head unit. The first time you connect you may need to set some Android Auto permissions and some head units may also produce prompts for you to answer.

Red, an error has occurred, the device will attempt recovery after a timeout.

LeRoy
      Hey all, and thanks so much to the developers for bringing this great product to life!

I just wanted to share my experience with the setup process because I had a rocky start and maybe someone with similar issues finds it useful. Please don't yell at me if most of it has already been posted! ;-)

Car: Nissan Leaf MY19 / Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9 (One UI 2.5, Android 10)

Open Android Auto for phones and activate wireless mode:
      The basic prerequisite is to enable wireless projection in the Android Auto for phones app. So if there's no Android Auto app in your app drawer, first download the app, and enable wireless projection in its settings. If that setting isn't there, activate developer mode by tapping the version number at the bottom of the settings several times. In the menu on the upper right enter developer settings and activate the setting for enabling wireless projection. Return to the main settings, find the new wireless setting and activate it, too.

Connect to AAWireless via Bluetooth and starting of Android Auto:
      First of, I would have liked a little more insight on how to connect to what exactly.

The AAWireless config app is actually not necessary but provides some troubleshooting options in case the setup is unsuccessful and offers some tweaks for advanced users.

The regular process as I understand is the following:
      1) Turn ignition on and connect AAWireless via cable to the car's USB port. Nothing happens on the car's head unit just yet.
      2) Connect the phone to AAWireless via Bluetooth.
      3) The phone should receive WiFi-Settings from AAWireless via Bluetooth and then connect to AAWireless' WiFi without any user input.
      4) Android Auto starts automatically on the phone and becomes available on the car's head unit.
      Now the phone stays connected via both Bluetooth and WiFi.
      From now on whenever the phone is near the AAWireless device it will connect to it automatically and thus activate Android Auto on the phone and the car's head unit.

Throughout my whole setup process I encountered all kinds of LED states: green, red, blue, blinking steadily, constantly lit and whatnot. Frankly I just ignored the LED because without an official legend I find if futile to try and decipher the meanings.

No Android Auto after successful Bluetooth connection:
      My first problem arose right after initiating the Bluetooth connection to AAWireless on my phone. Nothing would happen afterwards.
      So I followed the steps outlined in the FAQ:
      When connected via Bluetooth to AAWireless I opened the AAWireless config app which would take a while to read the settings from the device and sometimes nothing would happen. I unplugged, replugged, disconnected, unpaired and re-paired A LOT.

Finally, I got a working connection by selecting Direct for USB mode and enabling Passthrough mode. After saving and re-plugging the device Android Auto would magically appear on my phone and car.
      But - just once.

Stops working:

Now, after having had one successful connection I wanted to test if it works reliably. Thus I unplugged AAWireless for a minute and plugged it back in. The result: again my phone connected via Bluetooth and nothing else happened.
      I tried all kinds of stuff, like deleting the app caches, uninstalling Android Auto, unpairing etc. I got it working again from time to time but not reliably.
      To add insult to injury my husband's OnePlus 3T started Android Auto effortlessly right. away. without. any. hassles. whatsoever. over. and. over.

So I factory reset my phone!
      I know, no one wants to hear this but it actually helped. I've never done a reset in the 2.5 years I've had my phone and I dreaded it. But after all this time, 200 apps, 2 major Android updates and a lot of general tinkering I didn't have to coerce myself too hard. After resetting the S9 I could easily initiate the connection via Bluetooth, it would connect to WiFi and start Android Auto. Over and over.

No internet

Then I ran into the next major problem: the dreaded no internet because WiFi problem. My phone is set to connect to the internet via the cell network in case WiFi is unstable. I also tried the setting in the phone's developer options which keeps the phone connected to mobile data all the time. Both settings didn't change the fact that even though the status bar showed a 4G icon, Google couldn't be reached in Android Auto.

The solution is another brain melter for me. When the phone informed me that WiFi data was unstable I must instinctively have tapped 'Keep WiFi'. This actually kills mobile data and forces all data requests through the non working WiFi connection! As stupid as it sounds: just ignoring the popup keeps both mobile data and WiFi active while choosing an option will sabotage wireless Android Auto. This is clearly Google's fault because they obviously forgot to code an exception for Android Auto to keep it from throwing this error.

Now AAWireless seems to work as it should.

One more thing I had to learn even before going wireless: Samsung's power saving settings can mess up your phone's GPS in Android Auto. It took me a while to figure out that one thing power saver does is it stops the GPS when the phone screen is off. It makes no exception for Android Auto. Thus I could use Maps and Waze on the phone but as soon as I was on Android Auto it would just show me an approximate location and 'jump' from street to street as it only used cell tower data for positioning.

So, good luck to those who face issues, enjoy your wireless Android Auto to those who got it and got it working and a huge thanks to the team who made AAWireless!
      Some edited thoughts on my settings with AAWireless Config 1.8.2 that may help someone. This version of the app works best with OTA firmware version 1.3.0. Which should be available soon for all versions of the AAWireless device. It may also be used with OTA firmware 1.2.x, but we have identified some problems that are fixed in OTA firmware 1.3.0. Update when you get the chance.

The 1.8.x version of the app introduces the Start / Stop option.

I have a 10.25 Hyundai head unit. I think that the Wireless Projection function of this unit is the same for KIA and Genesis 10.25 inch head units. This head unit first appeared in 2019 Korean model years and is very flexible when used with with AAWireless.

Here are the settings in the AAWireless Connect app version 1.8.2 that I use and what also works with my head unit.

USB Mode I use MTP, but Direct works as well. The head unit responds a bit faster with MTP.

Passthrough I have it turned off. The head unit works with Passthrough turned on, but DPI, Remove tap restriction, Disable Audio Sink, AutoVideo Focus and Developer mode cannot be processed by AAWireless when on. When on the exact encrypted data conversation is transmitted between your phone and the head unit. When off, AAWireless joins the conversation to inject those Experimental Features.

Force 2.4Ghz I have it turned off. The 5Ghz channel used is 40. This feature will turn off 5Ghz Wi-Fi in favor of 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi on channel 1.

Start / Stop I have this turned on. What it is designed for is those vehicles that keep the USB port powered on while the ignition is off. My Hyundai keeps the USB port powered for several minutes after I turn off the car and leave vehicle. With this turned off, my phone won't connect to my home network.

WiFi connect timeout I now leave this at the default 20 seconds. For a couple of months after the initial conversion to Android 11, my Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G phone would not connect to AAWireless on the first try. It would always connect on the second try. Samsung fixed their problem with a subsequent update. But while this was a problem, reducing the WiFi connect timeout to 5 seconds really helped.

Adjust audio timestamp I have it turned off. The head unit also works with it turned on. Turn this on if you notice things out of sync. With OTA firmware 1.3.0, enabling this option will help with certain Volkswagen Auto Group (VAG) head units that crash when playing audio.

Change DPI I use 130 to see more of the map. Lower numbers make the area of the map shown larger but the text will be smaller. The number 0 will restore the default used by your phone, head unit combination.

On my head unit, using the number 103 will put Android Auto into wide mode with map and media side by side. But it is still only displayed in the left portion of the screen, and much of the text is too small for me to read.

Remove tap restriction I turn this on, it helps me with my on phone music collection. The head unit works with this off. Some other head units will not update your GPS map position properly with this option on.

Disable Audio Sink I have this turned off. Turning this on will make your phone use something else for audio. In my case it is the phone's speaker.

Auto video focus I have this turned on. This option tells my Infotainment system to switch to Android Auto when AAWireless connects. I don't have to navigate through the screens to get Android Auto up where I can see it.

Developer Mode I have this turned off. The head unit works with this turned on. An app update will be needed to correct the text. Frankly, I am not sure what is enabled by setting this on, but Emil is sure some of you will know.

I often use the app with the AAWireless device plugged into a USB A power source, like a power supply or a charging port in your vehicle. The Android Auto traffic going through the device can make app less responsive.

When an OTA is available, it is better to download the OTA with the AAWireless device powered off and your phone on WiFi. Once the download has completed, turn on AAWireless, link to it again and upload the OTA to the device.

I use a large microSD card in my phone (Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G) to store my music collection. I play the music with Rocket Music Player. Works very well under Android Auto.

LeRoy