• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

AAWireless - General discussion and support

Search This thread

deadman1717

Oct 8, 2019
Only bottom bar visible is a Huawei issue. I also get it sometimes on my girlfriend's P30 Pro. This is not so much an AAWireless issue, but more a phone side issue. There's not so much we can do about that. These phones are not officially supported by Google for Android Auto Wireless, there's a reason for that. (Well at least until they maybe eventually get Android 11).
We might put a big disclaimer on the main page of Indiegogo about this, I'll talk to Emil about this.
Funny thing is that the notification bell in the navigation bar is working and opens notifications when clicked on.
Do you have any idea what behavior on the user/phone side exactly triggers this issue?

Jun 15, 2017
Hi,

I also received my AAWireless on the weekend, but as I have a Xiaomi Smartphone I can't get an internet connection via cellular when connected to the wifi network.

I also can't change the settings through the companion app while it works on my old LG phone.

Does anyone know whether it is possible to use an existing wifi hotspot (with an internet connection)? Could either use the one from the car, another phone, or the phone connected to AAWIreless. I thought this would be possible, but could not find an option in the settings to change the network.

tallleroy

Nov 20, 2015
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi, I have 2021 sonata with 10.25 inch head unit. Is it possible to let AA use the entire 10.25 screen?
Sorry, Hyundai / Kia has not yet enabled the use of the full screen for Android Auto. I have had four software configurations so far with my Palisade. None allow for use of the full screen.

You can see a bit more by setting DPI to 103 in the AAWireless config app. Android auto will show two panes in the left 2/3 of the screen, and you can show something provided by Hyundai on the right third of the screen.

triPanelDisplay.jpg

HofaTheRipper

Apr 26, 2014
St. Veit an der Glan
I took a short ride and could not force the hu to restart (spammed the next title button)... i noticed, that some songs dont start immediatly but with a delay... i think thats the trick 😬. (i had the adjust timestamp option off to test)

Hopefully this is the solution 👍
Update: Had no reboots since the update. (I drove 300km since that)

DerFremde

Mar 4, 2013
Salzburg
Got mine last week, works pretty good for me. But most of the time I have to connect manually to the AAWireless-xyz123 bluetooth to start AA. Is there any way to force the Bluetooth connection?
Car is a Skoda Kodiaq, phone a Pixel 3a.

DAVIZINHO

Nov 2, 2009
I received mine to spain today (Contribution ID: 4267)
My car is a honda civic 2018 type-r and conects fine.
It gave me some errors in the setup procees (i think google assistant is the problem) but after this conects fine with the car and no problem.
My phone is a xiaomi mi mix2s with android 10 and the problem is not internet connection, but i will try to solve it tomorrow with developers function.

The problem in my case is something that other guys say in this forum.
Now the device create the wifi hotspot and the phone conect to this hotspot.
This is a problem for me becasue I use my phone as a hotspot for other devices in my car (a mobile for speedcams, the radio unit to standalone spotify)

I want to mantain the hotspot in the phone and the device conect to it. its important to me to know if this will be a future feature. if its imposible i will sell the device now :-(

thanks a lot

qvert

Oct 10, 2008
is it normal that in the first 2-3minutes my spotify music + navigation sound sometimes stutter?
after 2-3 minutes it's gone

It's fine for me, nothing too worry but still wanted to report

qvert

Oct 10, 2008
Oh I see you're still on 1.1.0, you can try to update to 1.2.3 to see if that makes it better.
strange i thought i already did... just did now (or does resetting device removes the OTA too?)

so seems the bug is gone now, but what i now have is when i use audible instead of spotiy my headunit crashes

even though i have a adjust timestamp settings on
its a VAG one, seat leon from 2020

vizzze

Jan 16, 2011
Done, you can OTA update.
Updated and tested a bit.
I previously updated the software of the headunit of my VW from 359 to 369 and this already improved greatly on technisat; on 359 i had frequently headunit reboots and sound stuttering, with 369 i had a single headunit reboot in a week.
With this specific MIB2 version i didn't have a single headunit reboot or any kind of problems, great user experience.

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
I received mine to spain today (Contribution ID: 4267)
My car is a honda civic 2018 type-r and conects fine.
It gave me some errors in the setup procees (i think google assistant is the problem) but after this conects fine with the car and no problem.
My phone is a xiaomi mi mix2s with android 10 and the problem is not internet connection, but i will try to solve it tomorrow with developers function.

The problem in my case is something that other guys say in this forum.
Now the device create the wifi hotspot and the phone conect to this hotspot.
This is a problem for me becasue I use my phone as a hotspot for other devices in my car (a mobile for speedcams, the radio unit to standalone spotify)

I want to mantain the hotspot in the phone and the device conect to it. its important to me to know if this will be a future feature. if its imposible i will sell the device now :-(

thanks a lot
Your wifi request is possible now, I do this with my S20+, I had a routine previously for hotspot on when I connected to the car wifi, and it all still works after setting up the AAW device. It's fine around town but on longer trips I need the cable to provide power, until I get a decent wireless charging setup going.

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
After trying the VAG fix I haven't had a reboot, but I will try and make that happen, not been driving that much, but the stuttering of the music at times continues.

DAVIZINHO

Nov 2, 2009
Your wifi request is possible now, I do this with my S20+, I had a routine previously for hotspot on when I connected to the car wifi, and it all still works after setting up the AAW device. It's fine around town but on longer trips I need the cable to provide power, until I get a decent wireless charging setup going.
thanks a lot i will try,
My problem now is my xiaomi not have internet while conected to the aawireless, but im changing the rom now and i think this will works.

the power is not a problem, the car have a qi charger.
thanks

Top Liked Posts

Any recommended cable to use? I did try the cable that came along with the set on my oneplus 7 pro. It works perfectly but not on AAWireless.
    There's no recommended cable to use sadly. Some people have issues with the supplied one, others have issues with others and the supplied is the only one that works. For most it doesn't matter which cable they use.

I realize I have to be a bit careful what I'm saying to not blow things up. To clarify: These cases are very specific, for most people there are no issues. There are a lot of different head units, in a lot of different cars with different hardware and software variances. It's extremely hard to pinpoint exact issues because of this.
    For sure there are more issues on some head units in general then others, but it's not like the all the devices (or cables) from the newest batch will not work with (in this case) MIB2 head units.
    I have received my AAWireless unit a couple of weeks ago. I use the device on a 2015 VW passat B8 with a MIB2 unit and an Oneplus 8T. After the initial setup and some fiddling around I got it up and running but soon came across the random disconnection problems. I had encountered the same problem when I first tried to use my current phone with cable connection. I strongly believe now that the problem with my setup and probably other similar setups is totally cable dependent. The included cable was not working for me neither a couple of new ones I got from ali recently. A cable included with my previous phone charger (or tablet, can't really remember) was the right one. I have tested it for the last five days including a 4 hour journey today and I had so far zero disconnects, slow start ups or any kind of lags.
    So check your cables guys!
    I have received my AAWireless unit a couple of weeks ago. I use the device on a 2015 VW passat B8 with a MIB2 unit and an Oneplus 8T. After the initial setup and some fiddling around I got it up and running but soon came across the random disconnection problems. I had encountered the same problem when I first tried to use my current phone with cable connection. I strongly believe now that the problem with my setup and probably other similar setups is totally cable dependent. The included cable was not working for me neither a couple of new ones I got from ali recently. A cable included with my previous phone charger (or tablet, can't really remember) was the right one. I have tested it for the last five days including a 4 hour journey today and I had so far zero disconnects, slow start ups or any kind of lags.
    So check your cables guys!
    Well we did exchange the cable in the newer batch because we had to. I guess the new cable (with purple connector) could have something to do with the MIB2 issues.
    Hello. What's new in 1.5?
    A full changelog for each release would really be appreciated :)
    Thanks for all the hard work!
    Yes, I'll write a full changelog next week from 1.0.0 to 1.5.0 and put it on GitHub + add a link in the app.
    @KRGrayson

The 'new' Default USB Mode is what fixed issues with many GM infotainment systems.

Instead of presenting what should be the correct USB mode for Android Auto to the Head Unit (direct), or what most phones present as their default mode ( MTP and its variations); Default USB Mode presents a USB Mode that no Head Unit supports. When the Head Unit sees an unsupported USB Mode, USB protocol calls for it to ask the AAWireless device what modes it does support. The Head Unit then selects the correct Android Auto mode and life is good.

Prior to firmware 1.4.0, some head units (GM was not alone) would not confirm what USB Mode was being presented and begin to communicate in an inappropriate mode for Android Auto.
    Same issue here with Pixel 2XL. Thinking out loud I wonder if having both the Bluetooth profiles for the head unit AND AAW set to allow Phone Calls and Contacts causes a conflict.
    Yup exactly this. Unfortunately we cannot remove the handsfree profile from AAW, cause AA needs it for bootstrap. With a native AA Wireless HU this issue doesn't exist, because car handsfree BT == AA bootstrap BT.
    The new start / stop mechanism, which will be released next week will not use Bluetooth at all anymore to bootstrap AA (non-native), this will fix these issues.
    Yes, new much improved start / stop is almost production ready. But you have to realize we are also trying to get boards delivered to people, which is hell at this moment. We already arrived at the fourth board configuration at the moment :(

Also I'm trying to let our testers test features a bit longer, instead of rushing them out, so we don't get half working features (for some) like in the state the current start / stop is now. This will only generate lots of support tickets, which will slow things down.
    This thread is dedicated for AAWireless users.

AAWireless is a device which allows you to transform your existing wired Android Auto compatible unit into a Wireless Android Auto unit.

General chat, experience sharing and community support should be expected as well as support from the developers of the product: @Snirpo and myself.
    We fixed the "VW Headunit crashing on skipping tracks" issue now completely. Confirmed it's a bug on the HU side, latency makes it worse. We will probably push a new firmware by the end of this week.
    I will also submit a bug report to Google, cause they can fix/workaround this issue as well for cabled users.
    Hello. What's new in 1.5?
    A full changelog for each release would really be appreciated :)
    Thanks for all the hard work!
    Yes, I'll write a full changelog next week from 1.0.0 to 1.5.0 and put it on GitHub + add a link in the app.
    @KRGrayson

The 'new' Default USB Mode is what fixed issues with many GM infotainment systems.

Instead of presenting what should be the correct USB mode for Android Auto to the Head Unit (direct), or what most phones present as their default mode ( MTP and its variations); Default USB Mode presents a USB Mode that no Head Unit supports. When the Head Unit sees an unsupported USB Mode, USB protocol calls for it to ask the AAWireless device what modes it does support. The Head Unit then selects the correct Android Auto mode and life is good.

Prior to firmware 1.4.0, some head units (GM was not alone) would not confirm what USB Mode was being presented and begin to communicate in an inappropriate mode for Android Auto.