AAWireless - General discussion and support

Search This thread

goran_oh

Dec 26, 2011
Australia
This isn't my post, but it was posted yesterday in the comments on the AAWireless page on Indiegogo "Received my AAWireless today, works flawlessly in my Hyundai i30N. Can finally use the wireless charging pad as it was meant to be."
Thank for your time and help,but I specifically like to know for 2015/2016 model of hyundai i30.

tallleroy

Nov 20, 2015
Atlanta, Georgia
I also have a 2020 Palisade. Did you come up with a creative way to mount or store this or is it just dangling in the cup holder area? If you have something creative, a photo would be nice. Thanks!
I use a right angle USB-A connector to route a black cable to the left side of the console with black tape. The cable passes into the console and I keep the AAWireless in the tray within the console. This is for my beta test install. I take the device into the house often for testing.

For the production unit I am thinking about a right angle USB-A connector that will face down in the Palisade. The run a short cable through the passthru hole and velcro the AAWireless unit to the top of the open area out of sight. I may have to continue testing, so this setup may not be ideal for taking it in and out of the car.

LeRoy

Emil Borconi

Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2008
Tg. Secuiesc / Kezdivasarhely
Today I received my AAWireles, so far very bad experience. I tried reporting the ticket but got no confirmation that it was received so I decided to post here hoping for some help.
Phone: Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact G8441
Car: Mazda 6 2016
AAWireless when connected to car USB port shows green LED for 5-10sec, this switches to red for some 2-3 secs and restarts to green.
I was able to pair the device with phone after a few attempts. Car doesn't recognize AAWireless. When first connected there was a question box on head unit asking whether I agree to accessing contacts information or sth (don't remember exact text), this happened several times but now doesn't happen anymore (I chose agree). I was able to have "settings" usable for a brief period of time in the app, I tried enabling direct mode, then passthrough, but I don't know if the settings were stored in the device because my guess is that it's bootlooping. Also tried enabling debugging mode and send the bug report/logs (you got to be very quick for this because the button becomes active for like 0,5sec). My guess is that sending didn't succeed. Also tried resetting the device with a pin (I don't know if this does anything). I spent like 2hrs today trying combinations of direct mode/passthrough. It happened once that the device connected for a brief period of time (LED was blue and AA seemed to work). The interesting thins I noticed: clearing AAWireless Config data/caches doesn't delete the configuration that was previously stored, there seems to be no way of removing it. The phone connected with the same USB cable works (AA is connected), so probably not a cable issue. Please advise, thanks.
I think I did reply on your ticket. Highly likely usb setting is not saved. The config is saved on the device, the app only reflects that on your screen. I suggest save the settings by powering the device from a different power source then car and yes do try a bunch of different cables please.
I'll try to have a look at the other mazda users on what usb mode they are using.

Some cars.simply cut the USB power when change between mtp and accessory mode and some cars are not able to work with the devices if it's already in accessory mode... Hence the config option.

Reactions: osm0sis and DevAuto

crazy-gump

Nov 30, 2016
For my Mazda3 same year, I paired the AAWireless before going to the car and then only had to activate passthrough (clearly in default config car, phone and dongle communication are looping so it is not really easy).

From my experience it worked by default if you plug AAWireless after waking the car then you should be able trigger AA and change settings in the companion app.

Today I received my AAWireles, so far very bad experience. I tried reporting the ticket but got no confirmation that it was received so I decided to post here hoping for some help.
Phone: Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact G8441
Car: Mazda 6 2016
AAWireless when connected to car USB port shows green LED for 5-10sec, this switches to red for some 2-3 secs and restarts to green.
I was able to pair the device with phone after a few attempts. Car doesn't recognize AAWireless. When first connected there was a question box on head unit asking whether I agree to accessing contacts information or sth (don't remember exact text), this happened several times but now doesn't happen anymore (I chose agree). I was able to have "settings" usable for a brief period of time in the app, I tried enabling direct mode, then passthrough, but I don't know if the settings were stored in the device because my guess is that it's bootlooping. Also tried enabling debugging mode and send the bug report/logs (you got to be very quick for this because the button becomes active for like 0,5sec). My guess is that sending didn't succeed. Also tried resetting the device with a pin (I don't know if this does anything). I spent like 2hrs today trying combinations of direct mode/passthrough. It happened once that the device connected for a brief period of time (LED was blue and AA seemed to work). The interesting thins I noticed: clearing AAWireless Config data/caches doesn't delete the configuration that was previously stored, there seems to be no way of removing it. The phone connected with the same USB cable works (AA is connected), so probably not a cable issue. Please advise, thanks.

jasalta387

Aug 12, 2010
Salta
For my Mazda3 same year, I paired the AAWireless before going to the car and then only had to activate passthrough (clearly in default config car, phone and dongle communication are looping so it is not really easy).

From my experience it worked by default if you plug AAWireless after waking the car then you should be able trigger AA and change settings in the companion app.
can you explain exactly the steps you took? (I cannot get that from your description ☹)

I have a Pixel 4 / Nissan Qashqai and tried several cables with the combinations of USB mode and Pass-though (MTP, off), (Direct, off), (Direct, on). I didn't do the combination (MTP, on) though because that's not what I get from here https://cpeb.freshdesk.com/support/...etting-up-failed-when-waiting-for-aa-to-start

The problem I have is that once Pass-through is on, the device gets into a "bootloop" behavior, no matter if it's connected to the car or a wall brick. It's very tricky to change or see the settings from the companion app.

1234Andy5678

Mar 18, 2021
I received my device on Monday. I tested it with my moto g9+ and my 2018 Opel Insignia.
First there was no connection to the car. The head unit stated that there was no proper USB device.
After unplugging the USB cable and replugging it, it worked.
So I always have to unplug the cable after starting the car. Maybe there is a workaround for my problem?

In the App the buttons in the settings menu are blacked. Is this normal or is there a possibility to activate the buttons?

R7woD7wo

Mar 18, 2021
Same experience here (Pixel 4 / Nissan Qashqai). I was asked to try with various cables to rule out a problem with the cable (cables are b*tch sometimes). I'm in contact with support. I'm hoping I can send some logs or something to have them look at the issue more closely.

I also get the dongle into that "boot loop" when using Pass-through on. The only way to unstuck is to get settings to allow you to set Pass-through off. I cannot find a reproducible pattern but what seems to help me is to take Android Auto app off the loop (turning off Bluetooth or clearing data of Android Auto) and try navigating back and forth into the setting of the companion app. If I use a normal charger (not the car plug) the bootloop seems to be slower and hence I can get a chance to change the setting.
Same experience for me with Huawei Mate 20 Pro and Opel GrandLand X (Peugeot NAC screen), hopefully a solution will come out soon. It does not seem linked to phone nor car, I'm afraid this could be link to faulty AA Wireless devices

dreamonn

May 23, 2009
Google Pixel 5
Any UK backers received updates to their tracking info yet?

I received confirmation that my unit shipped 15/03 but clicking the 'Track Your Shipment' button in the email returns an 'Unknown' status with 'No Estimated Delivery Date'

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
I have been beta testing as well.

2018 Honda CR-V
OnePlus 8T

Roughly 25 seconds to AA.

Synman

Recognized Developer
awesome to see a thread here for AAWireless!

I have a general question. I could've swore @Emil Borconi provided us a link on Indiegogo to use if we were having problems trying to get tracking info for our shipments.

For the life of me, I can't find that update now and I can't remember if it was in an official update or buried in the comments section.

tomballpkrxda

Oct 11, 2008
Can you run the cable through the pass through hole in the center console and then use velcro to hold it underneath and out of sight on the bottom of the center console, right above the little storage area?

I have not received mine yet but this is the type of suggestion I was looking for. I have never used the pass through hole on my 2020 Palisade but will look for it.

Reactions: DevAuto

tomballpkrxda

Oct 11, 2008
I use a right angle USB-A connector to route a black cable to the left side of the console with black tape. The cable passes into the console and I keep the AAWireless in the tray within the console. This is for my beta test install. I take the device into the house often for testing.

For the production unit I am thinking about a right angle USB-A connector that will face down in the Palisade. The run a short cable through the passthru hole and velcro the AAWireless unit to the top of the open area out of sight. I may have to continue testing, so this setup may not be ideal for taking it in and out of the car.

LeRoy

Thank you. I like the right-angle cable suggestion and will look into that. It will keep things tidy. After I receive it, I will leave my device in the car so using the pass through hole and velcro should work well.

Reactions: DevAuto

Kuschi

Oct 23, 2019
Hi, I haven't received my box yet. I am afraid of problems with the connection between my Huawei P20 and my Skoda Octavia 2018. Maybe someone can give me step-by-step instructions for the connection. Thank you for your answers. Thank you.

DevAuto

Mar 9, 2013
Hi, I haven't received my box yet. I am afraid of problems with the connection between my Huawei P20 and my Skoda Octavia 2018. Maybe someone can give me step-by-step instructions for the connection. Thank you for your answers. Thank you.
I can't give you detailed instructions, but the information page at https://cpeb.freshdesk.com/support/home has a LOT of information on it. You could start there, there are 2 issues specific to Huawei phones, maybe they would help give you an idea of what to expect?

franners

Jan 21, 2013
Any UK backers received updates to their tracking info yet?

I received confirmation that my unit shipped 15/03 but clicking the 'Track Your Shipment' button in the email returns an 'Unknown' status with 'No Estimated Delivery Date'
Same for me: 15MAR notification and tracking returned blank currently. Brexit backlog/SNAFU in shipping still possibly.

SSAlen

Mar 13, 2011
Works out of the box with Mercedes C W205 2017, Audio 20, 7" display. Phone is Pixel 4XL. Also works with Xiaomi Mi 10T Pro.
Connection time is about 15 secs. Phone battery drain is about 12% per hour with Pixel 4 XL and about 10% with Mi 10T Pro.

Last edited:

Mips81

Apr 15, 2011
Xiaomi Mi 9
@Emil Borconi
There is a way to keep the GSM data when wifi it with AAWireless is on ?
IE: Waze and all the other apps cannot access to internet.

I think AAWirelass should set up internet as the main link and relay.
I dont know if Android Auto use Direct Wifi.

The last time I used direct wifi with a TV I was able to relay music / video.

Greetings.

Last edited:

Synman

Recognized Developer
I think we're looking for the same thing...

awesome to see a thread here for AAWireless!

I have a general question. I could've swore @Emil Borconi provided us a link on Indiegogo to use if we were having problems trying to get tracking info for our shipments.

For the life of me, I can't find that update now and I can't remember if it was in an official update or buried in the comments section.

Same for me: 15MAR notification and tracking returned blank currently. Brexit backlog/SNAFU in shipping still possibly.

AndrewShahoff

Mar 18, 2021
Hi. Just got my device today and cannot figurout how to integrate this device in my setup.
What I have:
Skoda Columbus ( MIB2) with GSM data module on it where installed my Data SIM. I am also sharing internet via WiFi from MIB 2 to my phone and other devices in the car.
Samsung Galaxy S20 5G with limited dataplan ( corporate phone and no option to change plan ) so thats the reason why I am using car's access point to access internet for streaming.

So question is - how to get AAwireless connected to the same MIB2 access point ?

Top Liked Posts

Are there any MIUI users who switched to another ROM to fix the random disconnections? Did it work and what did you switch to?

I mostly use the phone (POCO F3) for communication and nav so my priority would be a secure and stable alternative that gets regular updates/support.
    I am using xiaomi eu for my mi 10 ultra. I am not getting random disconnections but getting the freezing issue. Hopefully this new firmware makes it better
    2.1.0 (aka 2.0.1) fixed the freezing for me. They are currently rolling out 2.0.1 in phases. From what I understand, 2.0.0 introduced freezing where a disconnection would have happened previously for MIUI 12.5 and above.

Are you saying you didn't get disconnections with 1.8 and the current (non beta) Xiaomi EU ROM?
    Actually I think that freezing in 2.0.0 @mobileman88 mentined is due to random disconnections from MIUI. With 2.0.1 freezing is fixed, but I am afraid disconnections will remain...
    AAW firmware/app version have nothing to do with that issue.

For now I am stuck with MIUI beta rom release from Oct 21 (with no disconnections), considering all disadvantages of using an outdated rom. I am already tired of flashing new vesrion, test it and downgrade...

Will also appreciate any info for newer rom release without the issue - does not matter MIUI, AOSP etc.
    I am using the May 11th eu rom. Disconnections are happening with 2.0.1 now at places with very poor reception not all the time. However the freezing issue is gone. I am using in non transparent mode if it helps.
    Just rolled out app 2.3.0 to Open Beta as well (it was already available in the production track). I'll be pushing out more updates in the coming days and in the meantime we will start roll out of the 2.0 firmware as well (finally).
    Small update on firmware 2.0. We fixed the last issue regarding wifi client mode. I'll do a bit of testing tomorrow and then we are ready to go.

Will also push some more improvements/changes to the app next week.

We're pushing to people's devices at random over the coming week. If you want to have early access, please fill out: https://forms.gle/NndEexW18UTVVMUn6
    Small update on firmware 2.0.0. Was planning to push it today, but we found some last minute bugs while testing together with the app. Going to fix them over the weekend. App 2.4.0 has been pushed to beta channel.
    Yes, I tried it in my Golf with MIB 2.5 Discover Pro High, a Garmin unit.

Set to Australia wifi the display shrunk, so I put it back and the display filled the screen again.
    That's weird, I expected the display to be upside down...

Just kidding of course :) I'll investigate.
    So I have some updates on my situation and wanted to share for future refference. I managed to get it working in "dongle mode" and also made "stop/start" work. Actually it seems that the only way for "dongle mode" to work was to also have "stop/start" enabled and functioning. It seems that withtout it my phone will not connect to the WiFi created for wireless connection (which is called "AndroidAuto-xxxx" when in dongle mode, different than "AAwireless-xxxx" when in "standard" mode.

The issue was the wifi being turned off by the system. Newer Android OS (11 and above I believe) have this WiFi setting option that turns off the WiFi when you leave a "known location" and turns it back on when you get back to those "known locations" so the issue is that the bluetooth beacon that is sent by the dongle is not enough to trigger WiFi to turn on and connect to the WiFi.

Note that this issue does not manifest itself when I am using a car with proper built-in Wireless AA. I have a Skoda Karoq that has built-in wireless AA and even if my WiFi is turned off, it will turn itself on to connect to AA, just not with this dongle.

Anyway, long story short, because when "Start/Stop" is active I have a constant notification on my phone from the app indicating the status (connected/not connected/etc.) it showed me "wifi is turned off cannot connect" or something simiar. So when I manually turned it on, everything started working. My phone connects imediately to my car with "dongle mode" ON and "start/stop" ON.

What remains an issue is that it will not work with "dongle mode" ON but "Start/Stop" OFF. It seems that without the helper app "helping" the phone to connect to the wifi of the dongle, the phone will not do it on its own. This is not a big deal for me, as I want to have "start/stop" enabled anyway.

So bottom line, everything is working perfectly fine for me now.

Hope this helps others and helps @Snirpo to figure out if they might want to change some stuff for their app.
    It's probably helpful to explain for everyone how the process works :) So here we go:

When start / stop is enabled our companion app is in control of starting up AA. So wether dongle mode is enabled or not, it doesn't matter, because the standard bluetooth bootstrap of Android Auto is not used. That's also the reason why wifi is not turned automatically on in start / stop mode. Android Auto, being a system app, can do these things. From the companion app we cannot from Android 10 and above, hence showing the notification to turn on wifi.

So basically using start / stop completely invalidates the different bootstrap logic in AA regarding dongle mode, because bluetooth (to the device) isn't used to start up the process. It doesn't really matter if you use dongle mode or not.

"Note that this issue does not manifest itself when I am using a car with proper built-in Wireless AA. I have a Skoda Karoq that has built-in wireless AA and even if my WiFi is turned off, it will turn itself on to connect to AA, just not with this dongle."

This should also happen with AAWireless, AAWireless == 100% native, except when using start / stop mode like I explained above, when the companion app controls the bootstrap. AA always turns on wifi when using the native bluetooth bootstrap.

Why dongle mode doesn't work in your case is a bit of a mystery to me though...

So summary:

AAWireless + "standard" mode == emulate native Wireless HU, does not need the companion app.

AAWireless + dongle mode == works as native dongle, like Motorola MA1, does not need companion app.

AAWireless in dongle or standard mode + start / stop == does not use the native bluetooth bootstrap, but trigger wifi connection based on handsfree connection of the car. Needs the companion app, not native.
    This thread is dedicated for AAWireless users.

AAWireless is a device which allows you to transform your existing wired Android Auto compatible unit into a Wireless Android Auto unit.

General chat, experience sharing and community support should be expected as well as support from the developers of the product: @Snirpo and myself.
    I just want to leave a big THANK YOU for the developers! You invented a great product and do a great job here.

Anyone who has ordered the product knows that it is a crowdfunding project, which may also have teething problems. I find it cheeky to get upset about problems, even though they are dealt with promptly here. What more should the distributors do than react to the problems here and offer solutions?

I also have problems with the device, but I was helped quickly. Even if it takes a few days.

Dear team: Keep up the good work!
    We fixed the "VW Headunit crashing on skipping tracks" issue now completely. Confirmed it's a bug on the HU side, latency makes it worse. We will probably push a new firmware by the end of this week.
    I will also submit a bug report to Google, cause they can fix/workaround this issue as well for cabled users.
    Hello. What's new in 1.5?
    A full changelog for each release would really be appreciated :)
    Thanks for all the hard work!
    Yes, I'll write a full changelog next week from 1.0.0 to 1.5.0 and put it on GitHub + add a link in the app.
    I've already waited patiently for delivery 3 months more than expected - I ordered In April and was coming in June but now that's looking like October. Now I read on the indiegogo forum that people in the UK are being charged an additional €27 by the Royal mail as the UK is now not in the EU.

Hi Emil!
    Just received my AAWireless, and will plug in and test tonight. Love the packaging, looks great! However… Since it was shipped from Hong Kong I was forced to pay a rather substantial import fee and duties on this bad boy. I was under the impression that they would be shipped from within the EU? Is it stands now I’m EUR 27,00 poorer :(
    2 2
    https://www.indiegogo.com/individuals/24534862
    Emil Borconi-Szedressy 2 days ago
    PROJECT OWNER
    Looks like you are in the UK which is outside EU and also there is no way to pre-pay taxes with shipping company any more either....

This is a crazy. An additional $10 was already taken for delivery and it was meant to ship from the EU. I suspect the units have been shipped by Royal Mail / Dutch post. The Royal Mail rips off people in the UK because they add another £11 in admin fees on top of the 20% VAT even though goods up to £135 should be exempt.
    See https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...s-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021

So not only has VAT been charged coming into the EU from China, it has also been charged coming into the UK ON TOP of the VAT already paid in the EU.

This is just rubbish. What the guys need to do is either ship it from Hong Kong which can cost £0.20 (there are hundreds of chinese ebay and aliexpress sellers doing this already
    See http://www.vatfraud.org/blog/stop-s...ons-universal-postal-union-upu-terminal-dues/
    The $10 postage already taken should then be refunded.

The other way round it is send the item from Hong Kong and to mark the item as a gift and providing it is below £39 there is NO VAT to pay and NO Royal mail admin fee. Actually as the original product was $57 - roughly £41.25 This wouldn't be a crime seeing as we have had to wait soo long. This could also mean the $10 delivery could be refunded

The other way is to ship it via fedex and state the ex-vat cost coming from china and then add 20% vat that the developer should be paying to the UK HMRC.

Sadly if that doesn't take place, EVERYONE IN THE UK will feel ripped off because of the poor delivery and poor choices made by the developers.

Cheers
    Disgruntled in the UK

First of all, your item wasn't shipped yet since in the June batch, so you could have not payed anything for shipping. Secondly, UK is outside the EU, there was a vote about this in 2016, so it doesn't matter if the package comes from EU or from HK or from US, it is treated the same, it's an import. If we import it from HK to EU, we will pay import VAT on the product, then when we send it to UK, we claim back that VAT and we should pay VAT in UK, since there is no more free trading between EU and UK.

Up till recently there was a nice option, to pay VAT and Import duty up-front, when you ship to the UK, but this has been changed and now they requires business outside UK to register with HMRC and do HMRC feeling even if they are residing outside UK, a lot of red tape. Since crowdfunding is not a sale, we can still ship the units to UK, but not sure if we will be able to after the IndieGoGo campaign.

We are also a EU registered company so we cannot (and will not take advantage) of any loop-holes in systems to sell at ridiculously / unrealistically cheap prices.

About the user who paid 27 euros, it turned out that user is living in DK, but provided the address as UK so his package traveled the wrong way, hence the extra duties and surcharges.

Not aware of other users from UK having to pay anything additional when they received the package.