• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

AAWireless - General discussion and support

Search This thread

denbog

Nov 2, 2019
I have a Mazda CX-5 (2 Gn) 2019 and Samsung Note 20. I couldn't run Android Auto via AAWireless. I tried resetting Play Services, Android Auto, AAWireless, changing USB Mode, Passthrough - nothing worked.
Just in case, I updated the Mazda head unit firmware from 70.00.100A to 70.00.367A and everything worked with the default settings!
I also recommend updating the head unit firmware on any other car brands that have problems with AAWireless.
I advise you to add this to the FAQ.

Reactions: iTaiwan

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
I have a Mazda CX-5 (2 Gn) 2019 and Samsung Note 20. I couldn't run Android Auto via AAWireless. I tried resetting Play Services, Android Auto, AAWireless, changing USB Mode, Passthrough - nothing worked.
Just in case, I updated the Mazda head unit firmware from 70.00.100A to 70.00.367A and everything worked with the default settings!
I also recommend updating the head unit firmware on any other car brands that have problems with AAWireless.
I advise you to add this to the FAQ.
Thanks, I created an article specifically for the CX-5. (https://cpeb.freshdesk.com/a/solutions/articles/80000686898).
Advising people to update their HU is a bit... well... a thing. You always have people who say: but it works with directly with cable. And well... they are kinda right because it should indeed work with AAWireless when it works directly with cable. However, delay, jitter, and in general making the process a bit different (Bluetooth hackyness) could surface bugs in headunits which normally you never notice when connected directly.
It could even break after an HU update because of newly introduced bugs. We actually have a report of a Kia Niro MY20 where AAWireless breaks after an HU update.

Last edited:

Saison2018

New phone, new wireless experience

Old phone: Huawei P20 Pro, Android 10
New phone: Google Pixel 5, Android 11

Since 2 weeks, I tested my AAWireless with my new phone, and I can easily see and understand why Android 10 support was limited.

With my P20 Pro (android 10), I was losing Google Maps on a regular basis (with or without navigation guidance) and I had a lot of "freeze" of Android Auto (unable to touch any icon, unresponsive behaviour,..). Sometime my only solution was to disconnect AAWireless and exit Android Auto on my phone and reconnect everything. Also, I had sometime a quick connection between AAWireless and my phone and sometime never connect.

With my new phone (Android 11), connection is really fast and I have no more trouble at all.
I finally understand all positives comments made by people.
I tested AAWireless and my new phone with 2 cars: Kia Niro EV 2020 and Jaguar F-Pace 2019. Everything is running fine in both cars.

Thanks a lot to people that share knowledge and experience in this thread.

Have a great day.

Reactions: iTaiwan and DevAuto

sm753

May 1, 2008
Dallas
Question for those of you with a Subaru with the 11.6 inch portrait infotainment screen: Apple Carplay can use the entire screen in "portrait mode". Based on what I've read - Android Auto supports portrait mode too but it needs to be enabled by Subaru.
Can you "force"/enable portrait mode with AAWireless so AA uses the entire screen (and not just the top half in landscape mode)?

exge

Apr 25, 2010
If you pass me your device name I can put it back :)
i think it's all right for now, i suspect its a miui thing. the main reason is that the AAWireless first creates a BT connection and passes the WPA key over. As such, my wifi does not auto connect like in 1.2 and since MIUI has problems with BT auto connecting, it does not connect automaticaly as per 1.2.
if i can set my WPA to a hardcoded value, it will pretty much solve it for the MIUI users.

Reactions: iTaiwan

1qazwsx4

Sep 19, 2011
New Zealand
Hi, is there a way to downgrade aawireless? Everything was working fine on version 1.3 for me but everyone mentioned 1.4 helped their GM cars. Unfortunately after upgrading 2018 Holden zb commodore, I now get the "looking for android auto" issue. Running android 11 on miui (please note it was working perfectly on 1.3)
I tried uninstalling android auto, reinstalling and clearing app data on android auto, Google Play services, aawireless app and reconnected manually (using the app to connect never worked) any thoughts? Please enable a way for users to downgrade versions

exge

Apr 25, 2010
Hi, is there a way to downgrade aawireless? Everything was working fine on version 1.3 for me but everyone mentioned 1.4 helped their GM cars. Unfortunately after upgrading 2018 Holden zb commodore, I now get the "looking for android auto" issue. Running android 11 on miui (please note it was working perfectly on 1.3)
I tried uninstalling android auto, reinstalling and clearing app data on android auto, Google Play services, aawireless app and reconnected manually (using the app to connect never worked) any thoughts? Please enable a way for users to downgrade versions
hi, looks like we have the same problem lol.. yes MIUI is crap unfortunately PixelExperience for my phone has BT issues, so either way im SOL
to get it working on MIUI android 11, go to developers settings-> enable gabledorsche

1qazwsx4

Sep 19, 2011
New Zealand
hi, looks like we have the same problem lol.. yes MIUI is crap unfortunately PixelExperience for my phone has BT issues, so either way im SOL
to get it working on MIUI android 11, go to developers settings-> enable gabledorsche
Mine did work perfectly using 1.3 firmware using miui android 11, seems like 1.4 is the culprit but I'll try that setting tomorrow. Sadly custom ROMs are buggy as hell and the camera apps are rubbish too so I'm stuck on miui for now haha

ktraub

Dec 2, 2007
Hello All,
I have the 1st version AA Wireless and it was running fine in my 2018 Chrysler 300 S with uConnect 8.4 and Galaxy S10+ running Android 11 until about 10 days ago. Now it won't connect. I've tried flushing cache and data on AAwireless, Android Auto, Google services, and unpairing and repairing Bluetooth and No joy.
I was running MTP and tried changing to default and going through the whole process again and still no good.
Is there a recommended set-up for UConnect?

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
Let me first put you back, to check if this really helps. What's your device name?

Flame Red

Nov 5, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
I am a relatively new AAWireless user. Samsung Note running Andriod 11 on a Volvo 2019 that was updated about a year ago. Started with the AAW 1.2 firmware out of the box, but tried the 1.3 when that became available, and now the 1.4 firmware. I also switched from MTE to "default" USB. Tried unsing search but I am not finding a match to this issue.

When on waze, the navigation voice cuts out the last word at the end of phrases. For example, Waze might say, "turn right in 500 feet and then turn" and it drops of the last word "left" or whatever. No other issues.

Any advice?

voltiger

Jun 22, 2009
Germany
Hello All,
I have the 1st version AA Wireless and it was running fine in my 2018 Chrysler 300 S with uConnect 8.4 and Galaxy S10+ running Android 11 until about 10 days ago. Now it won't connect. I've tried flushing cache and data on AAwireless, Android Auto, Google services, and unpairing and repairing Bluetooth and No joy.
I was running MTP and tried changing to default and going through the whole process again and still no good.
Is there a recommended set-up for UConnect?
Same here. Used it for weeks, suddenly stopped working. Was able to reconnect it several times (always takes some days until I'm lucky) but then it only works for a few days before it stops working again (red led will flash on AAwireless). Not sure what it is but I really feel the device is not fine, maybe losing settings, etc... I'm sort of sick of this thing.

Sadly, the support was totally useless so far only pointing me to the same articles I've read and followed dozens of times already without luck...

Reactions: iTaiwan and ktraub

SOFO888

Jan 28, 2013
Thank you.

I hope that there will be a fix in the near future.

For me, without alternative apps Android Auto is useless. I have an app which compares gas prices and an app for my parking sensors. Both apps are not Android Auto compatible. I always have to use my phone for this stuff.

Is it somehow possible to revert to an older Android Auto version on AA Wireless?

sibesaver

Sep 30, 2010
Moore, OK
Thank you.

I hope that there will be a fix in the near future.

For me, without alternative apps Android Auto is useless. I have an app which compares gas prices and an app for my parking sensors. Both apps are not Android Auto compatible. I always have to use my phone for this stuff.

Is it somehow possible to revert to an older Android Auto version on AA Wireless?
Let me clarify. It's not the firmware version on Android auto wireless that causes car stream to break for me. It's the Google update to the back end the actual Android Auto. And yes you can install older versions of AA from APK mirror. But for me that brings other issues.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Same issue here with Pixel 2XL. Thinking out loud I wonder if having both the Bluetooth profiles for the head unit AND AAW set to allow Phone Calls and Contacts causes a conflict.
    Yup exactly this. Unfortunately we cannot remove the handsfree profile from AAW, cause AA needs it for bootstrap. With a native AA Wireless HU this issue doesn't exist, because car handsfree BT == AA bootstrap BT.
    The new start / stop mechanism, which will be released next week will not use Bluetooth at all anymore to bootstrap AA (non-native), this will fix these issues.
    Yes, new much improved start / stop is almost production ready. But you have to realize we are also trying to get boards delivered to people, which is hell at this moment. We already arrived at the fourth board configuration at the moment :(

Also I'm trying to let our testers test features a bit longer, instead of rushing them out, so we don't get half working features (for some) like in the state the current start / stop is now. This will only generate lots of support tickets, which will slow things down.
    That what I meant - it coud also be software/rom /, not the hardware itself only, which in Galasy s20 is quite good.
    Most likely AAWireless does not reboot, but restarts the process because the WiFi or USB side disconnects.
    Why not, if you have an wifi accesspoint in a car already then it's easy to make an option for AAWireless to be able to connect to instead.

And what ever Andorid Auto "needs" can be provided by any TCP/IP network and Bluetooth together if source-unit and destination-unit are connect to the same network with no firewalls in-between. So necessarily the wifi accesspoint explicitly don't need to be hosted by the AAWireless-device, just any network works with good enough bandwidth.
    We will add WiFi client mode in the future. We didn't add it till now, cause we first want to have a stable base. WiFi client mode will possibly cause issues. We already have enough issues to deal with with 4000+ different HU's :) I don't really feel like adding another factor of complexity at this point.
    Any recommended cable to use? I did try the cable that came along with the set on my oneplus 7 pro. It works perfectly but not on AAWireless.
    There's no recommended cable to use sadly. Some people have issues with the supplied one, others have issues with others and the supplied is the only one that works. For most it doesn't matter which cable they use.

I realize I have to be a bit careful what I'm saying to not blow things up. To clarify: These cases are very specific, for most people there are no issues. There are a lot of different head units, in a lot of different cars with different hardware and software variances. It's extremely hard to pinpoint exact issues because of this.
    For sure there are more issues on some head units in general then others, but it's not like the all the devices (or cables) from the newest batch will not work with (in this case) MIB2 head units.
    This thread is dedicated for AAWireless users.

AAWireless is a device which allows you to transform your existing wired Android Auto compatible unit into a Wireless Android Auto unit.

General chat, experience sharing and community support should be expected as well as support from the developers of the product: @Snirpo and myself.
    We fixed the "VW Headunit crashing on skipping tracks" issue now completely. Confirmed it's a bug on the HU side, latency makes it worse. We will probably push a new firmware by the end of this week.
    I will also submit a bug report to Google, cause they can fix/workaround this issue as well for cabled users.
    Hello. What's new in 1.5?
    A full changelog for each release would really be appreciated :)
    Thanks for all the hard work!
    Yes, I'll write a full changelog next week from 1.0.0 to 1.5.0 and put it on GitHub + add a link in the app.
    @KRGrayson

The 'new' Default USB Mode is what fixed issues with many GM infotainment systems.

Instead of presenting what should be the correct USB mode for Android Auto to the Head Unit (direct), or what most phones present as their default mode ( MTP and its variations); Default USB Mode presents a USB Mode that no Head Unit supports. When the Head Unit sees an unsupported USB Mode, USB protocol calls for it to ask the AAWireless device what modes it does support. The Head Unit then selects the correct Android Auto mode and life is good.

Prior to firmware 1.4.0, some head units (GM was not alone) would not confirm what USB Mode was being presented and begin to communicate in an inappropriate mode for Android Auto.