• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

AAWireless - General discussion and support

Search This thread

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
Let me clarify. It's not the firmware version on Android auto wireless that causes car stream to break for me. It's the Google update to the back end the actual Android Auto. And yes you can install older versions of AA from APK mirror. But for me that brings other issues.
Enable developer mode in the AAWireless settings and it should work again.

jwmsrp1

Dec 4, 2020
This thread is dedicated for AAWireless users.

AAWireless is a device which allows you to transform your existing wired Android Auto compatible unit into a Wireless Android Auto unit.

General chat, experience sharing and community support should be expected as well as support from the developers of the product: @Snirpo and myself.
How and where may I purchase Emil Barconi's wireless AA device for beta testing or for regular use if it is now available? I have a Galaxy S20 FE 5G phone and a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX head unit. My sincere thanks!

skiierx131

Jul 16, 2009
How and where may I purchase Emil Barconi's wireless AA device for beta testing or for regular use if it is now available? I have a Galaxy S20 FE 5G phone and a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX head unit. My sincere thanks!
Current estimated shipping date is October though.

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
Not having the greatest time with AA the last two weeks.

It started when I dropped my S20+ in for a checkup and I provisioned a Moto One Vision that was a spare phone. It worked after I set up AAW on it outside the store. Then it didn't work until I changed the cable I was using. Symptom was a blue flashing lilght, indicating it was looking for the headunit.

Then, things got progressivley worse and I was blaming the Moto phone. I began to realise it wouldn't automotically connect anymore, but I could connect if I went into BT and touched the AAW device, AA would come on the screen.

Then I thought maybe if I re-did the BT and that made it worse. If I now touched the AAW device in my BT settings it would disappear. I now had to add it to AAW Config every time I started the car.

This became tedious so I tried a reset of the device and the app but no joy.

Yesterday I got my S20+ back and setting it back up and I'm having the same problems. I can do a full reset and then it will work for that trip, but I can never get it to connect to the phone again automatcially, the green light just flashes.

I just brought it inside, reset everything and all good., got the flashing blue light. Power off and on, back to flashing green light. Touching the AAW device in BT settings says it couldn't connect.

No idea what is going on.

tallleroy

Nov 20, 2015
Atlanta, Georgia

It started when I dropped my S20+ in for a checkup and I provisioned a Moto One Vision that was a spare phone. It worked after I set up AAW on it outside the store. Then it didn't work until I changed the cable I was using. Symptom was a blue flashing lilght, indicating it was looking for the headunit.

Then, things got progressivley worse and I was blaming the Moto phone. I began to realise it wouldn't automotically connect anymore, but I could connect if I went into BT and touched the AAW device, AA would come on the screen.

Then I thought maybe if I re-did the BT and that made it worse. If I now touched the AAW device in my BT settings it would disappear. I now had to add it to AAW Config every time I started the car.

Yesterday I got my S20+ back and setting it back up and I'm having the same problems. I can do a full reset and then it will work for that trip, but I can never get it to connect to the phone again automatcially, the green light just flashes.

I just brought it inside, reset everything and all good., got the flashing blue light. Power off and on, back to flashing green light. Touching the AAW device in BT settings says it couldn't connect.

If you have updated your firmware to version 1.4.0, please try USB Mode "Default".

The developers think that this new USB mode will work with any head unit. I have not heard of it not working yet. (But it is still early, there are a lot of head units out there.)

LeRoy

voltiger

Jun 22, 2009
Germany
If you have updated your firmware to version 1.4.0, please try USB Mode "Default".

The developers think that this new USB mode will work with any head unit. I have not heard of it not working yet. (But it is still early, there are a lot of head units out there.)

LeRoy
Setting it to "Default" or whatsoever requires BT connection first. And that is already failing for him as well as me... How to change ANY setting of AAwireless if the phone won't even be able to connect to device randomly anymore, sometimes even after resetting the device and doing EVERYTHING they suggest in the poor manual?

HofaTheRipper

Apr 26, 2014
St. Veit an der Glan

Had the same problem.

This solved it for me:

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
Sorry @voltiger I was commenting on the blinking blue LED symptom. Long blinking green followed by red may be a Bluetooth or Wi-Fi hardware problem. I think those problems are best handled by the support folks. Have you tried opening a ticket?

Sorry, in my story the blue blinking light was fixed by changing the cable, that worked ok a few minutes before, during the last trip.

The latest issues are before all that, trying to get the BT connection to work again. I do normally use Default these days.

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
Had the same problem.

This solved it for me:

Thanks, I'll give this a try. Did you have a connection issue from day one, and this solved it? Or, like myself, was it working and started to stop working?

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
I went through the process and it seems to be working, getting the blue flashing light connected to the power brick.

Reset the other one to be safe and re-added it, looks good too. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Really do love the wireless convenience.

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
I went through the process and it seems to be working, getting the blue flashing light connected to the power brick.

Reset the other one to be safe and re-added it, looks good too. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Really do love the wireless convenience.
I'm not really following, what did you exactly have to do to fix the phone-side connection? We have had more reports like this and I'm figuring out where the problem comes from.

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
What I actually ended up doing was a pretty full on reset of everything I guess. I also re-added the AAW device via the app like normal.

This was all done inside the house, using a power brick.

First I deleted the AAW Config app, reset the data/cache on Android Auto/Android Auto for Phone Screeens and Google Play services. Data AND cache. Delete the BT connections of the AA devices/s you have. Reboot phone.

Reset AAW device, holding the pin down for 5 seconds with the power on. You have to see it turn off, otherwise it didn't take. The first one turned off and didn't come back on so I unplugged and plugged it back in.

Setup AA app on the phone, get it running, go through the prompts so you can get to settings. Set wireless option and wireless projection in developer services. Basically pretend you have been running AA on the phone before, wired or just on the phone.

Then I started AA Config and logged in and went through the startup process. Not being connected to a head unit it would die the first time, saying to connect manually, but after a restart of the AA device it would get to the blue flashing light, which is what you want to see.

Once I did the first one I reset my other one and added it and did the same thing in the house.

I've tested them both in the cars and they work great again.

I tested connecting more than once and watched how in these VW cars the AA device goes back to green and stays powered. If you're still close it will restart the connection sequence and has plenty of time to actually get to fully connected, with the blue light solid, while the car is turned off. This explains the times I've hopped out and hopped back in and AA is on the screen right away, it was in the timeframe before all power was lost to the USB.

I'm not sure where the problem lies, if it happens again I can send logs.

Top Liked Posts

I just got mine yesterday and have the latest firmware. I have connected successfully to my 20p15 Mazda 3, but when I got in the car later, it took 10 minutes to reconnect.

Others here have referred to an AA Wireless Support Page, but 3 DuckDuckGo searches have failed to provide a URL. Can someone post here please via reply?
    Open the AAWireless Config app on your phone. Click help and support. There is a FAQ button which will take you there.
    Hello. What's new in 1.5?
    A full changelog for each release would really be appreciated :)
    Thanks for all the hard work!
    Yes, I'll write a full changelog next week from 1.0.0 to 1.5.0 and put it on GitHub + add a link in the app.
    @KRGrayson

The 'new' Default USB Mode is what fixed issues with many GM infotainment systems.

Instead of presenting what should be the correct USB mode for Android Auto to the Head Unit (direct), or what most phones present as their default mode ( MTP and its variations); Default USB Mode presents a USB Mode that no Head Unit supports. When the Head Unit sees an unsupported USB Mode, USB protocol calls for it to ask the AAWireless device what modes it does support. The Head Unit then selects the correct Android Auto mode and life is good.

Prior to firmware 1.4.0, some head units (GM was not alone) would not confirm what USB Mode was being presented and begin to communicate in an inappropriate mode for Android Auto.
    @Snirpo is there any source to download older firmware files to downgrade manually for troubleshooting? It would have helped with my last issue after updating to 1.4.

It would be nice if there were an option in the companion App to choose a specific version.
    Yes, there is: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=18R-KYbOSt5jBeb3dtqRs-EPrBRaGE9sX

I did think about adding a downgrade option in the app, but it's a bit tricky. If we do that, we don't only need to test updates from version x to y, but also downgrades all the way back down to 1.0.0. Normally it wouldn't break, but I don't really feel like testing from the newest version to the oldest, to be sure the board doesn't accidentally brick :) It gets a bit too easy to just switch around versions all the time if we provide it via the app. And we don't really want people to use older versions.
    However what I could do is provide an option to switch back to the previous version (which is still on the board actually, cause it has an A/B partition layout).
    Here are the LED codes for OTA firmware 1.5.0. Solid White is now used for Start / Stop standby mode.

Solid Green, the device is booting, should complete in under 12 seconds. Both the Bluetooth and WiFi are not active until after the boot is completed.

Blinking Green, the device has activated Bluetooth and is waiting for a WiFi connection from your phone. You will only be able to pair while under blinking green.

Solid White, Start / Stop standby mode. The device has completed boot and is waiting for the Head Unit Bluetooth to connect with your phone. When your Head Unit Bluetooth disconnects from your phone, the device will return to Start / Stop standby mode for as long as it is powered. The device will not take over the Wi-Fi on your phone while it is solid white. You will be able to connect your phone to any other Wi-Fi network. Use the Start / Stop Option to enable this mode.

Blinking Blue, the device has fully connected with your phone and is attempting to connect with your head unit via USB.

Solid Blue, the device is full connected with your phone and the head unit. The first time you connect you may need to set some Android Auto permissions and some head units may also produce prompts for you to answer.

Solid Yellow, the device is loading an OTA update into memory.

Red, an error has occurred, the device will attempt recovery after a timeout.

None / Black The LED will not be active when you first apply power for a very brief time. And the LED will not be active at all when the device is ready to be flashed from your computer. It will remain inactive until the flash program completes loading the firmware and reboots the device.

RIP Blinking White
    The change from Blinking White to Solid White was based on feedback from this forum. Users saw the Blinking White drift to other colors over time. It turns out that the drivers for the RED, GREEN and BLUE LEDs on the device are not coordinated for the blinking feature. Blinking the primary colors is fine, but blinking Yellow, Cyan, Magenta and White will cause drift to other colors.

LeRoy
    This thread is dedicated for AAWireless users.

AAWireless is a device which allows you to transform your existing wired Android Auto compatible unit into a Wireless Android Auto unit.

General chat, experience sharing and community support should be expected as well as support from the developers of the product: @Snirpo and myself.
    We fixed the "VW Headunit crashing on skipping tracks" issue now completely. Confirmed it's a bug on the HU side, latency makes it worse. We will probably push a new firmware by the end of this week.
    I will also submit a bug report to Google, cause they can fix/workaround this issue as well for cabled users.
    Hello. What's new in 1.5?
    A full changelog for each release would really be appreciated :)
    Thanks for all the hard work!
    Yes, I'll write a full changelog next week from 1.0.0 to 1.5.0 and put it on GitHub + add a link in the app.
    @KRGrayson

The 'new' Default USB Mode is what fixed issues with many GM infotainment systems.

Instead of presenting what should be the correct USB mode for Android Auto to the Head Unit (direct), or what most phones present as their default mode ( MTP and its variations); Default USB Mode presents a USB Mode that no Head Unit supports. When the Head Unit sees an unsupported USB Mode, USB protocol calls for it to ask the AAWireless device what modes it does support. The Head Unit then selects the correct Android Auto mode and life is good.

Prior to firmware 1.4.0, some head units (GM was not alone) would not confirm what USB Mode was being presented and begin to communicate in an inappropriate mode for Android Auto.