• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

AAWireless - General discussion and support

Search This thread

stan79

Dec 21, 2005
Nvidia Shield Tablet
OnePlus 5
Can't remember exactly, my Indiegogo ID is 9053, so I got it sometime at the end of April - early May. Device is with second SoC batch and the corresponding firmware has been pre-flashed before shipping from EU warehouse
Not sure if it is the batch issue cos this issue only surfaces with guys whom just received their AAWireless recently. And I just got mine last Sat and my ID is 22658.

treeherder

Jul 30, 2021
@jahandy

Here are the LED codes.

Solid Green, the device is booting, should complete in under 12 seconds. Both the Bluetooth and WiFi are not active until after the boot is completed.

Blinking Green, the device has activated Bluetooth and is waiting for a WiFi connection from your phone. You will only be able to pair while under blinking green.

Blinking Blue, the device has fully connected with your phone and is attempting to connect with your head unit via USB.

Solid Blue, the device is full connected with your phone and the head unit. The first time you connect you may need to set some Android Auto permissions and some head units may also produce prompts for you to answer.

Red, an error has occurred, the device will attempt recovery after a timeout.

LeRoy
If there are no lights?

tallleroy

Nov 20, 2015
Atlanta, Georgia
If there are no lights?
Hi @treeherder,

There are two times when the device is powered, and the LED is dark. In the first moments after power on, the LED is dark until it lights solid green for the boot.

The LED will also be dark during a firmware load using a computer. Normally firmware loads over the air. (OTA)

The LED will also be dark when no power is applied to the device. On many of the devices, the USB port is a bit too far back, or the cover is a bit too thick. It takes a USB cable with a longer reach on the USB-C connector to make a solid connection. Try a few different cables. If that does not work for you, please contact support.

LeRoy

Reactions: iTaiwan and osm0sis

treeherder

Jul 30, 2021
Hi @treeherder,

There are two times when the device is powered, and the LED is dark. In the first moments after power on, the LED is dark until it lights solid green for the boot.

The LED will also be dark during a firmware load using a computer. Normally firmware loads over the air. (OTA)

The LED will also be dark when no power is applied to the device. On many of the devices, the USB port is a bit too far back, or the cover is a bit too thick. It takes a USB cable with a longer reach on the USB-C connector to make a solid connection. Try a few different cables. If that does not work for you, please contact support.

LeRoy
Thanks. There's never been a light, so I guess there's no power to the system. Will try again tomorrow. If I do need to contact support, how do I do so? I've never done IndiGG before...

stan79

Dec 21, 2005
Nvidia Shield Tablet
OnePlus 5
There are different MIB2 systems produced for VW by different brands, i have a technisat unit, i had problems with connection too but solved this with an update of the headset firmware.

Check if you can upgrade yours, it might solve all the issues you are having.

What do u mean by headset firmware? My AAWireless is running on the latest version 1.5.0.

kgollop

Jul 24, 2021
I've tried using a different usb cable today and have managed a 15 minute drive with no disconnections. Needs further testing but it's looking promising

jv.batista

Jan 25, 2011
Faro, Portugal
OnePlus 8T
I think oneplus broke something on the 8T with the latest update. Phone wouldn't connect to AAW at all. Had to go though the connection issue troubleshoot and wipe, AA, AAW, etc to get it to work but even so, audio was extremely laggy and inputs took almost 10s to take effect and only after 2 reboots and a shutdown and start I got it to work reasonably well. Anyone else experiencing something similar?

lampon

Oct 20, 2016
Not sure if I should start a new thread or just post my issue here, but I received my AAWireless unit last week and it does not work.

When I plug it in my 2018 Ford, the unit powers on and I see flashing green lights, but when I go through the setup process, the pairing step never finds the unit. This is with a Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus. I'm attaching a screenshot of what I see.

Very excited to use this thing but disappointed it does not work out of the box. Would appreciate any help here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210731-092545_AAWireless Config.jpg
    Screenshot_20210731-092545_AAWireless Config.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 25

jv.batista

Jan 25, 2011
Faro, Portugal
OnePlus 8T
Not sure if I should start a new thread or just post my issue here, but I received my AAWireless unit last week and it does not work.

When I plug it in my 2018 Ford, the unit powers on and I see flashing green lights, but when I go through the setup process, the pairing step never finds the unit. This is with a Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus. I'm attaching a screenshot of what I see.

Very excited to use this thing but disappointed it does not work out of the box. Would appreciate any help here.

Try that

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
I just received my AAWireless a couple days ago and wanted to share my experience so far. I bought it from my 2017 VW Passat. Was able to set it up and get it connected, with no issues. However, like many here, I'm getting disconnects every few minutes, which really is annoying and basically renders the device unusable for my Passat.

However, I also have a 2018 VW Atlas and when I drive that car it works without any issues or disconnects whatsoever (Same phone). I did a 2 hour drive yesterday, no issues. Did another 2 hour drive today, again no issues at all.

So I really don't think this is phone specific at all. I think the AAWireless unit has issues with some car head units.

For now the unit is staying in my wife's car since it is working really well there. Really do wish the developers would get to the bottom of it so I can buy another unit for my car.
Could you pass me your device name (AAWireless-xxxx). I'm curious from which manufacturer the head units in both cars is.

Got it, the 2018 VW has a Delphi HU == good.
2017 VW has a Technisat HU, in general these head units suck (for AA). However the VAG fix should help, you could try to turn it off and see what happens, or try passthrough mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: iTaiwan

lampon

Oct 20, 2016

Try that
Thank you for the link & trying to assist. I did not see an option to change the WiFi rating provider, but was able to get it working actually. What helped me was in Connections > More connection settings > Enable "Nearby device scanning". Hope it helps someone else.

godlike1984

Jan 6, 2013
Good day, I had similar problems. The music playback will first stop and then the head unit exits. Happened a few times in a row until I realized that I was close to a big airport. A few days later I went on a long trip and on a few occasions when I passed a mobile cell phone mast the same happened again. On my way back I forced aawireless to use 2.4 Ghz only and there was a great improvement. Now I would just sometimes get a very short pause on the music playback. It looks like external rf interference on the 5 Ghz band and it happens even with the phone only a few inches away from the aawireless unit.
how do you force it to 2.4ghz ? where? thanks

Top Liked Posts

Reset was going to be my next step too. I'll try to get it to send some logs first. 👍
    I'm stopping the rollout for now. We don't have that many reports of this issue, but it needs some investigation.

BTW Can you verify if it's still on 1.7.0? After a few failed boots it falls back to the previous partition with the previous firmware.
    AAWireless-2WuK74t7 here. #7004. Thanks for your efforts and looking into it!
    Boot limit is set to 5 failed boots before reverting to the previous version, so I think you experienced this. I'm glad we built in this failsafe... Didn't think we ever needed it... Thanks for the info guys!
    Anybody else find after the 1.7.0 firmware update the device will sometimes not power on with the vehicle? It'll stay black (i.e. no LED). Unplugging USB and replugging seems to work, sometimes only on the second or third try.

I'm running pretty basic settings, only 140 DPI and Auto focus over the defaults, Hyundai Elantra 2018, device batch #7004.

Hadn't physically touched the device or changed any settings other than accepting the 1.7.0 update, then briefly trying Start/Stop out again since I was hoping it might have been improved in 1.7.0, so that should rule out USB issues at least.
    Same here, but unplug/plug doesn't work: I had to reset everything and re-do the setup to make it work but I don't have yet a full feedback.
    Weird thing is that after the update everything was ok until the same evening...
    Anybody else find after the 1.7.0 firmware update the device will sometimes not power on with the vehicle? It'll stay black (i.e. no LED). Unplugging USB and replugging seems to work, sometimes only on the second or third try.

I'm running pretty basic settings, only 140 DPI and Auto focus over the defaults, Hyundai Elantra 2018, device batch #7004.

Hadn't physically touched the device or changed any settings other than accepting the 1.7.0 update, then briefly trying Start/Stop out again since I was hoping it might have been improved in 1.7.0, so that should rule out USB issues at least.
    No led at all is odd. Means the kernel doesn't boot up. Can you try to send some logs via the app?
    Alright so this morning it wouldn't turn on at all (no LED), and no amount of unplugging and replugging seemed to work, so then I put it into my car charger and it booted!

Then I checked and saw it had downgraded to 1.5.0 but still showed an update available. I sent some logs from that state, then tried the update. Rebooted, still showed 1.5.0 and no update now. Sent logs again. Plugged back into my car USB port and now it all works properly as before on 1.5.0. 🤔
    Can you share your device name? I can't find you by name in our database. It's an oddball situation, might be some specific hardware revision which has this issue.
    @Snirpo
    when are feature improvements and new features going to be tackled? It was several months back that you said that they would be tackled after the new version of the start/stop feature was released but we are still waiting for this. Surely Gen2 has been resolved now.
    Gen2 has not been resolved yet, we are very close but not there yet. That's why we are producing 16k Gen1 units now (with a lot of effort to actually get components), to fill the gap and finally get off Indiegogo.
    Gen2 is a huge risk for us, we don't want to mess it up. We are planning to produce Gen2 in large quantities (20k+) batches. If we mess up a 20k batch of devices we can bassicly pack up and go.
    We already felt the pain of messing up a batch (batch 2) and this was only one of 6k units.
    I'm sorry it might seem like we are not doing much, but in the background a lot is going on, not only technically.
    Features will come, and they will come this year. But I cannot give any short term deadlines anymore.

On the app side, if you want to test bleeding edge builds you can join here: https://appdistribution.firebase.dev/i/5196d378c8e122d7

I might also set up the same thing for the board-side. Only there it's a bit trickier, because of the chance of "bricking" the device.
    Reset was going to be my next step too. I'll try to get it to send some logs first. 👍
    I'm stopping the rollout for now. We don't have that many reports of this issue, but it needs some investigation.

BTW Can you verify if it's still on 1.7.0? After a few failed boots it falls back to the previous partition with the previous firmware.
    AAWireless-2WuK74t7 here. #7004. Thanks for your efforts and looking into it!
    Boot limit is set to 5 failed boots before reverting to the previous version, so I think you experienced this. I'm glad we built in this failsafe... Didn't think we ever needed it... Thanks for the info guys!
    Posted via Indiegogo and thought I would post here too. Glad to hear you’ve managed to move forward with production again. I’m not asking for an ETA – more of a timeline, do you have an idea when there will be updates to the firmware/app for those who have received their devices? I understand you want to get devices shipped but if you are amongst the group that has bugs/issues with the current firmware, this device is pretty much being used as a paperweight. Once again, I'm not trash talking this device because I love it while it works but some transparency on the development side would be nice since we only hear about the manufacturing side on Indiegogo
    2018 Mazda CX-5, AA capable headunit, firmware 70.00.335 (NA N region)
    Moto Z4 with Android 10.
    AAwireless updated to 1.5.0.

Even with passthrough mode enabled, I've *never* been able to get AAwireless to work. What settings are you Mazda folks using that it's working for you? What headunit firmware revisions and regions?

Under non-passthrough mode, it always does the "Enable Android Auto / not responding" dance cycle (even the very first time, it's never worked even once).

Under passthrough mode, the headunit doesn't seem to think anything is connected at all; no popups or other messages.

Tried all USB connection modes (saved twice and unplugged/replugged to make sure the setting change took effect; it doesn't always seem to save the change across reboots in my observation). Android's own USB settings are adb ("USB debugging") enabled; default to "No data transfer" (though I suspect these are irrelevant).

(Sigh, can't update the headunit for the moment. It seems that Mazda nuked the one place I saw that had the 74.xx.xxx update, so for the moment I can't update the thing without paying $$$ to a dealership for the Great Privilege of them plugging in a USB stick and pressing a half dozen buttons. [PMs accepted on this point...])

**EDIT!** After so much desperation, factory reset the headunit, cleared the AA app's data, reverted to stock version, re-updated to Play Store version, set AA up from scratch again... it finally works. I'll just crawl away and scream into a pillow and hope it stays working :LOL:
    This thread is dedicated for AAWireless users.

AAWireless is a device which allows you to transform your existing wired Android Auto compatible unit into a Wireless Android Auto unit.

General chat, experience sharing and community support should be expected as well as support from the developers of the product: @Snirpo and myself.
    We fixed the "VW Headunit crashing on skipping tracks" issue now completely. Confirmed it's a bug on the HU side, latency makes it worse. We will probably push a new firmware by the end of this week.
    I will also submit a bug report to Google, cause they can fix/workaround this issue as well for cabled users.
    Hello. What's new in 1.5?
    A full changelog for each release would really be appreciated :)
    Thanks for all the hard work!
    Yes, I'll write a full changelog next week from 1.0.0 to 1.5.0 and put it on GitHub + add a link in the app.
    I've already waited patiently for delivery 3 months more than expected - I ordered In April and was coming in June but now that's looking like October. Now I read on the indiegogo forum that people in the UK are being charged an additional €27 by the Royal mail as the UK is now not in the EU.

Hi Emil!
    Just received my AAWireless, and will plug in and test tonight. Love the packaging, looks great! However… Since it was shipped from Hong Kong I was forced to pay a rather substantial import fee and duties on this bad boy. I was under the impression that they would be shipped from within the EU? Is it stands now I’m EUR 27,00 poorer :(
    2 2
    https://www.indiegogo.com/individuals/24534862
    Emil Borconi-Szedressy 2 days ago
    PROJECT OWNER
    Looks like you are in the UK which is outside EU and also there is no way to pre-pay taxes with shipping company any more either....

This is a crazy. An additional $10 was already taken for delivery and it was meant to ship from the EU. I suspect the units have been shipped by Royal Mail / Dutch post. The Royal Mail rips off people in the UK because they add another £11 in admin fees on top of the 20% VAT even though goods up to £135 should be exempt.
    See https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...s-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021

So not only has VAT been charged coming into the EU from China, it has also been charged coming into the UK ON TOP of the VAT already paid in the EU.

This is just rubbish. What the guys need to do is either ship it from Hong Kong which can cost £0.20 (there are hundreds of chinese ebay and aliexpress sellers doing this already
    See http://www.vatfraud.org/blog/stop-s...ons-universal-postal-union-upu-terminal-dues/
    The $10 postage already taken should then be refunded.

The other way round it is send the item from Hong Kong and to mark the item as a gift and providing it is below £39 there is NO VAT to pay and NO Royal mail admin fee. Actually as the original product was $57 - roughly £41.25 This wouldn't be a crime seeing as we have had to wait soo long. This could also mean the $10 delivery could be refunded

The other way is to ship it via fedex and state the ex-vat cost coming from china and then add 20% vat that the developer should be paying to the UK HMRC.

Sadly if that doesn't take place, EVERYONE IN THE UK will feel ripped off because of the poor delivery and poor choices made by the developers.

Cheers
    Disgruntled in the UK

First of all, your item wasn't shipped yet since in the June batch, so you could have not payed anything for shipping. Secondly, UK is outside the EU, there was a vote about this in 2016, so it doesn't matter if the package comes from EU or from HK or from US, it is treated the same, it's an import. If we import it from HK to EU, we will pay import VAT on the product, then when we send it to UK, we claim back that VAT and we should pay VAT in UK, since there is no more free trading between EU and UK.

Up till recently there was a nice option, to pay VAT and Import duty up-front, when you ship to the UK, but this has been changed and now they requires business outside UK to register with HMRC and do HMRC feeling even if they are residing outside UK, a lot of red tape. Since crowdfunding is not a sale, we can still ship the units to UK, but not sure if we will be able to after the IndieGoGo campaign.

We are also a EU registered company so we cannot (and will not take advantage) of any loop-holes in systems to sell at ridiculously / unrealistically cheap prices.

About the user who paid 27 euros, it turned out that user is living in DK, but provided the address as UK so his package traveled the wrong way, hence the extra duties and surcharges.

Not aware of other users from UK having to pay anything additional when they received the package.