• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

AAWireless - General discussion and support

Search This thread

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
Hopefully they're monitoring this thread and will provide an update.
There's nothing sketchy about it :) Actually the address you're sending it too is one of the guys on this forum and one of our testers. We haven't really had the time to look into a "professional" return process. It's ok for now, cause we don't have that many defective units. If you didn't receive a replacement yet, please contact support, the guys will help you.

Reactions: mpressive6

mpressive6

Apr 11, 2021
There's nothing sketchy about it :) Actually the address you're sending it too is one of the guys on this forum and one of our testers. We haven't really had the time to look into a "professional" return process. It's ok for now, cause we don't have that many defective units. If you didn't receive a replacement yet, please contact support, the guys will help you.
Thank you for the reply and I don't believe anyone was suggesting anything sketchy. I've sent two emails that have gone unanswered since last week to the individual on your team who originally reached out to me. What else would you like me to do. Please advise. Love the product. Thanks.

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
I found a solution for my problem.
1) On the 5Ghz band: I wrapped the whole AA Auto unit into aluminum foil that acts as a Faraday cage to screen rf signals. The 5Ghz signal between the mobile phone and the aa wireless was still strong enough to ensure proper operation. All outside interference were screened. This resulted into a 1000% improvement of the problems I experienced. I now use the unit that way and only get about 0.1% breakups. Will improve the faraway cage even more. I think the wifi might be over sensitive.
2) On the 2.4 Ghz band: Nothing help there. Not even the Faraday cage. I still experienced the occasional breakup. I looked at the signal again and found the following: The carrier bandwidth is only 20Mhz. Most 2.4Ghz wireless equipment works on 40Mhz as default. The reduced carrier bandwidth can be a factor here. Doubling the carrier width to 40Mhz should resolve the problem. To be tested if it can get implemented.
Wow, that's cool, I never thought of that. I will try that on mine. As long as it works on 5Ghz I'll be happy to have it work smoothly all the time.

Do you have a pic of your device wrapped up?

bjevers

I found a solution for my problem.
1) On the 5Ghz band: I wrapped the whole AA Auto unit into aluminum foil that acts as a Faraday cage to screen rf signals. The 5Ghz signal between the mobile phone and the aa wireless was still strong enough to ensure proper operation. All outside interference were screened. This resulted into a 1000% improvement of the problems I experienced. I now use the unit that way and only get about 0.1% breakups. Will improve the faraway cage even more. I think the wifi might be over sensitive.
2) On the 2.4 Ghz band: Nothing help there. Not even the Faraday cage. I still experienced the occasional breakup. I looked at the signal again and found the following: The carrier bandwidth is only 20Mhz. Most 2.4Ghz wireless equipment works on 40Mhz as default. The reduced carrier bandwidth can be a factor here. Doubling the carrier width to 40Mhz should resolve the problem. To be tested if it can get implemented.
This worked for me too, and I'm using 5ghz on a first batch device. There was a spot I drive by all the time that I would lose connection, but not anymore. Wrapped it in aluminum foil and all is good, not one skip. So maybe the case should have some type of shielding in it? Wish the case would pop open so I could maybe line it on the inside because right now it looks pretty crappy. At least it works though.

• Haha
Reactions: TomNguyen87

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
This worked for me too, and I'm using 5ghz on a first batch device. There was a spot I drive by all the time that I would lose connection, but not anymore. Wrapped it in aluminum foil and all is good, not one skip. So maybe the case should have some type of shielding in it? Wish the case would pop open so I could maybe line it on the inside because right now it looks pretty crappy. At least it works though.
If you really want to do that, it's pretty easy to open actually. Just put something in between the bottom and top part and it's open. But it's quite an interesting observation for sure, we'll pass it on to the factory.

HansWursT619

Jan 11, 2011
If the disconnects are indeed caused by external interference and not by the cable, that would be fascinating.
I will try that aluminum foil thing :p Might look a bit sketchy though.

andrelotter

May 31, 2021
Wow, that's cool, I never thought of that. I will try that on mine. As long as it works on 5Ghz I'll be happy to have it work smoothly all the time.

Do you have a pic of your device wrapped up?
Foil Faraday Cage.jpg

Goto20

Aug 17, 2015
I've searched the thread but couldn't see an answer - I have a generic Android head unit (that supports wired Android Auto - the brand is A-Sure) - I bought the AAwireless on a bit of a punt - as half-expected, the headunit doesn't recognise the AAwireless device. Before I give up on it, are there any settings that might help the headunit recognise the device? Thanks.

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
If the disconnects are indeed caused by external interference and not by the cable, that would be fascinating.
I will try that aluminum foil thing :p Might look a bit sketchy though.
Well external interference would mean is would only drop out at certain locations. We know this is a problem in 5Ghz mode and are looking into how to fix it (probably by quite simply changing the channel). I have a spot here in the NL where it fully drops out, so when I can find some time I'll play a bit with the hostapd settings. Sucky thing is: we use 4 types of WiFi chips right now, so I have to check for all of them :(

andrelotter

May 31, 2021
I figure if you open it up and wrap the insides, either the casing, or the electronics, it shold do the same?
Please don't concider wrapping the electronics inside unless you are a tech know-how. The alluminium will short circuit the electronics causing irrecoverable damage to the unit as well as the usb port on the head unit. Rather get a nice small little box and package the wrapped aa wireless inside that until the design team comes with a working solution.

Mystic7777

May 12, 2011
Samsung Galaxy s10 + Volvo S60-2. Phone connects to the AAwireless just fine, over the Bluetooth, however when it tries to connect over the WiFi it fails, the message is smth related to "insecure wifi network". Any ideas how to fix this?

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
Please don't concider wrapping the electronics inside unless you are a tech know-how. The alluminium will short circuit the electronics causing irrecoverable damage to the unit as well as the usb port on the head unit. Rather get a nice small little box and package the wrapped aa wireless inside that until the design team comes with a working solution.
Gotcha, makes sense, thanks.

bjevers

I'm going to get some foil tape and wrap the inside of the case, see how that goes.
I opened the case and covered the board with masking tape, then wrapped it with aluminum foil. I did not wrap around the front where the USB C connector, reset button, and LED are. I then just put it in the case pushing the pegs in the 4 corners through the aluminum foil. So far, it's working just as well was the external wrapping was. My first attempt didn't work where I just put a layer of foil on the bottom and a layer on the top. Wrapping it was necessary.

Last edited:

1qazwsx4

Sep 19, 2011
New Zealand
Hmmmm I'd rather wait for a fix instead of covering my device - I haven't checked to see if they get warm or hot but wrapping it up could end up doing more harm than good imo. Granted - I haven't had any issues with stutters or disconnections. For those that have tried using both network settings (5 vs 2.4) have you tried keeping the phone right next to the device or tried using a different device to see if you still have the stuttering or disconnecting issues? Seems a little odd that only a few AAwireless boxes are effected by external wifi while driving about. Maybe we need to start posting what phone/android version, what car/year and our batch number to help Devs work things out

shadowcaster3

Aug 6, 2021
1) On the 5Ghz band: I wrapped the whole AA Auto unit into aluminum foil that acts as a Faraday cage to screen rf signals. The 5Ghz signal between the mobile phone and the aa wireless was still strong enough to ensure proper operation.
With frequencies like this foil will re-radiate signal. You may wish to connect it to the real ground to make it work. Signal power is not what makes the biggest impact, noise to signal ratio is what matters. And SNR is as good as phone and aawiress antennas design permits. If you want wireless signal to be more stable - remove noise (which can creep via power lines) and improve signal (better antenna)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just want to leave a big THANK YOU for the developers! You invented a great product and do a great job here.

Anyone who has ordered the product knows that it is a crowdfunding project, which may also have teething problems. I find it cheeky to get upset about problems, even though they are dealt with promptly here. What more should the distributors do than react to the problems here and offer solutions?

I also have problems with the device, but I was helped quickly. Even if it takes a few days.

Dear team: Keep up the good work!
    Hi,

are you going to release 1.7.1 this day? Because i have same problems with 1.7 like the others here. Would be great! :) Thank you!
    1.7.1 has just been released :)
    AAWireless-2WuK74t7 here. #7004. Thanks for your efforts and looking into it!
    Boot limit is set to 5 failed boots before reverting to the previous version, so I think you experienced this. I'm glad we built in this failsafe... Didn't think we ever needed it... Thanks for the info guys!
    We 99% percent sure found the issue now. I put your devices on a 1.7-hotfix version.
    @osm0sis @janz25 @dzeidzei

I put your devices on a version which might fix the boot (no led) issues for 1.7.0+. You can update to this version via the OTA screen. Could you check if this fixes it? I can't reproduce it, so it's a bit hard to verify myself :)

Thanks!
    This thread is dedicated for AAWireless users.

AAWireless is a device which allows you to transform your existing wired Android Auto compatible unit into a Wireless Android Auto unit.

General chat, experience sharing and community support should be expected as well as support from the developers of the product: @Snirpo and myself.
    We fixed the "VW Headunit crashing on skipping tracks" issue now completely. Confirmed it's a bug on the HU side, latency makes it worse. We will probably push a new firmware by the end of this week.
    I will also submit a bug report to Google, cause they can fix/workaround this issue as well for cabled users.
    Hello. What's new in 1.5?
    A full changelog for each release would really be appreciated :)
    Thanks for all the hard work!
    Yes, I'll write a full changelog next week from 1.0.0 to 1.5.0 and put it on GitHub + add a link in the app.
    I've already waited patiently for delivery 3 months more than expected - I ordered In April and was coming in June but now that's looking like October. Now I read on the indiegogo forum that people in the UK are being charged an additional €27 by the Royal mail as the UK is now not in the EU.

Hi Emil!
    Just received my AAWireless, and will plug in and test tonight. Love the packaging, looks great! However… Since it was shipped from Hong Kong I was forced to pay a rather substantial import fee and duties on this bad boy. I was under the impression that they would be shipped from within the EU? Is it stands now I’m EUR 27,00 poorer :(
    2 2
    https://www.indiegogo.com/individuals/24534862
    Emil Borconi-Szedressy 2 days ago
    PROJECT OWNER
    Looks like you are in the UK which is outside EU and also there is no way to pre-pay taxes with shipping company any more either....

This is a crazy. An additional $10 was already taken for delivery and it was meant to ship from the EU. I suspect the units have been shipped by Royal Mail / Dutch post. The Royal Mail rips off people in the UK because they add another £11 in admin fees on top of the 20% VAT even though goods up to £135 should be exempt.
    See https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...s-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021

So not only has VAT been charged coming into the EU from China, it has also been charged coming into the UK ON TOP of the VAT already paid in the EU.

This is just rubbish. What the guys need to do is either ship it from Hong Kong which can cost £0.20 (there are hundreds of chinese ebay and aliexpress sellers doing this already
    See http://www.vatfraud.org/blog/stop-s...ons-universal-postal-union-upu-terminal-dues/
    The $10 postage already taken should then be refunded.

The other way round it is send the item from Hong Kong and to mark the item as a gift and providing it is below £39 there is NO VAT to pay and NO Royal mail admin fee. Actually as the original product was $57 - roughly £41.25 This wouldn't be a crime seeing as we have had to wait soo long. This could also mean the $10 delivery could be refunded

The other way is to ship it via fedex and state the ex-vat cost coming from china and then add 20% vat that the developer should be paying to the UK HMRC.

Sadly if that doesn't take place, EVERYONE IN THE UK will feel ripped off because of the poor delivery and poor choices made by the developers.

Cheers
    Disgruntled in the UK

First of all, your item wasn't shipped yet since in the June batch, so you could have not payed anything for shipping. Secondly, UK is outside the EU, there was a vote about this in 2016, so it doesn't matter if the package comes from EU or from HK or from US, it is treated the same, it's an import. If we import it from HK to EU, we will pay import VAT on the product, then when we send it to UK, we claim back that VAT and we should pay VAT in UK, since there is no more free trading between EU and UK.

Up till recently there was a nice option, to pay VAT and Import duty up-front, when you ship to the UK, but this has been changed and now they requires business outside UK to register with HMRC and do HMRC feeling even if they are residing outside UK, a lot of red tape. Since crowdfunding is not a sale, we can still ship the units to UK, but not sure if we will be able to after the IndieGoGo campaign.

We are also a EU registered company so we cannot (and will not take advantage) of any loop-holes in systems to sell at ridiculously / unrealistically cheap prices.

About the user who paid 27 euros, it turned out that user is living in DK, but provided the address as UK so his package traveled the wrong way, hence the extra duties and surcharges.

Not aware of other users from UK having to pay anything additional when they received the package.