• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

AAWireless - General discussion and support

Search This thread

osm0sis

Senior Recognized Developer / Contributor
Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Nexus 7 (2013)
Anybody else find after the 1.7.0 firmware update the device will sometimes not power on with the vehicle? It'll stay black (i.e. no LED). Unplugging USB and replugging seems to work, sometimes only on the second or third try.

I'm running pretty basic settings, only 140 DPI and Auto focus over the defaults, Hyundai Elantra 2018, device batch #7004.

Hadn't physically touched the device or changed any settings other than accepting the 1.7.0 update, then briefly trying Start/Stop out again since I was hoping it might have been improved in 1.7.0, so that should rule out USB issues at least.

janz25

Sep 28, 2006
Anybody else find after the 1.7.0 firmware update the device will sometimes not power on with the vehicle? It'll stay black (i.e. no LED). Unplugging USB and replugging seems to work, sometimes only on the second or third try.

I'm running pretty basic settings, only 140 DPI and Auto focus over the defaults, Hyundai Elantra 2018, device batch #7004.

Hadn't physically touched the device or changed any settings other than accepting the 1.7.0 update, then briefly trying Start/Stop out again since I was hoping it might have been improved in 1.7.0, so that should rule out USB issues at least.
Yes, mine the same. Since updated to 1.7, the device is not power on everytime i start the car, need to unplug/plug back. Mine is all default setting.

Any setting that i should take note off to prevent this?

Reactions: osm0sis

IlD4nX

Aug 3, 2008
Bugella Civitas

Same here, but unplug/plug doesn't work: I had to reset everything and re-do the setup to make it work but I don't have yet a full feedback.
Weird thing is that after the update everything was ok until the same evening...

[Jaco69]

Dec 24, 2008

Updated firmware 1.7.0 yesterday, no problem so far. Will check in the next days and give feedback.

Furthermore I had frequent AAwireless reboot problems while driving, this seems to be solved checking "Enable Audio Latency Dump" in Android Auto Developer Settings. Seems strange as I found only VW reporting this problem in this thread.

Jeep Renegade with Uconnect 8.4

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007

No led at all is odd. Means the kernel doesn't boot up. Can you try to send some logs via the app?

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
Reset was going to be my next step too. I'll try to get it to send some logs first. 👍
I'm stopping the rollout for now. We don't have that many reports of this issue, but it needs some investigation.

BTW Can you verify if it's still on 1.7.0? After a few failed boots it falls back to the previous partition with the previous firmware.

Last edited:
Reactions: osm0sis and IlD4nX

dzeidzei

Sep 27, 2014
Yes, mine the same. Since updated to 1.7, the device is not power on everytime i start the car, need to unplug/plug back. Mine is all default setting.

Any setting that i should take note off to prevent this?
I've been noticing this also with my Passat. After 1.7 update almost half the time device doesn't light up at all and app can't connect to it either. If I then go to for example shop and come back device might light back up when i come to car and unlock it. And sometimes unplugging usb has been required.

osm0sis

Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Nexus 7 (2013)
I'm stopping the rollout for now. We don't have that many reports of this issue, but it needs some investigation.

BTW Can you verify if it's still on 1.7.0? After a few failed boots it falls back to the previous partition with the previous firmware.
Alright so this morning it wouldn't turn on at all (no LED), and no amount of unplugging and replugging seemed to work, so then I put it into my car charger and it booted!

Then I checked and saw it had downgraded to 1.5.0 but still showed an update available. I sent some logs from that state, then tried the update. Rebooted, still showed 1.5.0 and no update now. Sent logs again. Plugged back into my car USB port and now it all works properly as before on 1.5.0. 🤔

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
Alright so this morning it wouldn't turn on at all (no LED), and no amount of unplugging and replugging seemed to work, so then I put it into my car charger and it booted!

Then I checked and saw it had downgraded to 1.5.0 but still showed an update available. I sent some logs from that state, then tried the update. Rebooted, still showed 1.5.0 and no update now. Sent logs again. Plugged back into my car USB port and now it all works properly as before on 1.5.0. 🤔
Can you share your device name? I can't find you by name in our database. It's an oddball situation, might be some specific hardware revision which has this issue.

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
I've been noticing this also with my Passat. After 1.7 update almost half the time device doesn't light up at all and app can't connect to it either. If I then go to for example shop and come back device might light back up when i come to car and unlock it. And sometimes unplugging usb has been required.
Can you share your device name? (AAWireless-xxxxx)?

I checked three devices with this issue and they all seem to be batch 2 devices (aka the batch from hell). I'll try to reproduce what's happening, although it's a bit tricky because it could be happening on only a small amount of boards from a specific batch of SoC's.

Last edited:

bjevers

I checked three devices with this issue and they all seem to be batch 2 devices (aka the batch from hell). I'll try to reproduce what's happening, although it's a bit tricky because it could be happening on only a small amount of boards from a specific batch of SoC's.
This is happening on my device also on 1.7. I "think" I'm from the first batch. AAWireless-BXWYmJU2

dzeidzei

Sep 27, 2014

name ends with b05JW0kL. Not sure about the batch, contribution id was 4678.

osm0sis

Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Nexus 7 (2013)
Can you share your device name? I can't find you by name in our database. It's an oddball situation, might be some specific hardware revision which has this issue.

AAWireless-2WuK74t7 here. #7004. Thanks for your efforts and looking into it!

vetol

Sep 21, 2021
Yeah I think it's a bad USB connection. We can swap the device, please contact support at https://cpeb.freshdesk.com and ask for a replacement.
Problem is inside device or only with USB cable? In other car this AAWireless is working and I did try 3-4 for cables in my car and it's the same. If problem is with the cable, tell me what cable to buy and I will buy it as soon as possible. :)

janz25

Sep 28, 2006
I did the firmware update back to 1.5 today morning and my AAW worked as usual before the 1.7 upgrade.

@Snirpo mine is from second batch, i didnt send any log but my device id is AAWireless-NOTJiaqt, not sure if this could help.

psylentknight22

Sep 29, 2021
I have been having issues with my AAW device constantly connecting and disconnecting. It will connect for usually a few minutes at a time and then disconnect and reconnect again. It continues to do this the entire time i'm in the vehicle. I've been emailing AAW back and forth but nothing is seemingly fixing the issue. Has anybody else had these issues?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just want to leave a big THANK YOU for the developers! You invented a great product and do a great job here.

Anyone who has ordered the product knows that it is a crowdfunding project, which may also have teething problems. I find it cheeky to get upset about problems, even though they are dealt with promptly here. What more should the distributors do than react to the problems here and offer solutions?

I also have problems with the device, but I was helped quickly. Even if it takes a few days.

Dear team: Keep up the good work!
    Hi,

are you going to release 1.7.1 this day? Because i have same problems with 1.7 like the others here. Would be great! :) Thank you!
    1.7.1 has just been released :)
    AAWireless-2WuK74t7 here. #7004. Thanks for your efforts and looking into it!
    Boot limit is set to 5 failed boots before reverting to the previous version, so I think you experienced this. I'm glad we built in this failsafe... Didn't think we ever needed it... Thanks for the info guys!
    We 99% percent sure found the issue now. I put your devices on a 1.7-hotfix version.
    @osm0sis @janz25 @dzeidzei

I put your devices on a version which might fix the boot (no led) issues for 1.7.0+. You can update to this version via the OTA screen. Could you check if this fixes it? I can't reproduce it, so it's a bit hard to verify myself :)

Thanks!
    This thread is dedicated for AAWireless users.

AAWireless is a device which allows you to transform your existing wired Android Auto compatible unit into a Wireless Android Auto unit.

General chat, experience sharing and community support should be expected as well as support from the developers of the product: @Snirpo and myself.
    I just want to leave a big THANK YOU for the developers! You invented a great product and do a great job here.

Anyone who has ordered the product knows that it is a crowdfunding project, which may also have teething problems. I find it cheeky to get upset about problems, even though they are dealt with promptly here. What more should the distributors do than react to the problems here and offer solutions?

I also have problems with the device, but I was helped quickly. Even if it takes a few days.

Dear team: Keep up the good work!
    We fixed the "VW Headunit crashing on skipping tracks" issue now completely. Confirmed it's a bug on the HU side, latency makes it worse. We will probably push a new firmware by the end of this week.
    I will also submit a bug report to Google, cause they can fix/workaround this issue as well for cabled users.
    I've already waited patiently for delivery 3 months more than expected - I ordered In April and was coming in June but now that's looking like October. Now I read on the indiegogo forum that people in the UK are being charged an additional €27 by the Royal mail as the UK is now not in the EU.

Hi Emil!
    Just received my AAWireless, and will plug in and test tonight. Love the packaging, looks great! However… Since it was shipped from Hong Kong I was forced to pay a rather substantial import fee and duties on this bad boy. I was under the impression that they would be shipped from within the EU? Is it stands now I’m EUR 27,00 poorer :(
    2 2
    https://www.indiegogo.com/individuals/24534862
    Emil Borconi-Szedressy 2 days ago
    PROJECT OWNER
    Looks like you are in the UK which is outside EU and also there is no way to pre-pay taxes with shipping company any more either....

This is a crazy. An additional $10 was already taken for delivery and it was meant to ship from the EU. I suspect the units have been shipped by Royal Mail / Dutch post. The Royal Mail rips off people in the UK because they add another £11 in admin fees on top of the 20% VAT even though goods up to £135 should be exempt.
    See https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...s-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021

So not only has VAT been charged coming into the EU from China, it has also been charged coming into the UK ON TOP of the VAT already paid in the EU.

This is just rubbish. What the guys need to do is either ship it from Hong Kong which can cost £0.20 (there are hundreds of chinese ebay and aliexpress sellers doing this already
    See http://www.vatfraud.org/blog/stop-s...ons-universal-postal-union-upu-terminal-dues/
    The $10 postage already taken should then be refunded.

The other way round it is send the item from Hong Kong and to mark the item as a gift and providing it is below £39 there is NO VAT to pay and NO Royal mail admin fee. Actually as the original product was $57 - roughly £41.25 This wouldn't be a crime seeing as we have had to wait soo long. This could also mean the $10 delivery could be refunded

The other way is to ship it via fedex and state the ex-vat cost coming from china and then add 20% vat that the developer should be paying to the UK HMRC.

Sadly if that doesn't take place, EVERYONE IN THE UK will feel ripped off because of the poor delivery and poor choices made by the developers.

Cheers
    Disgruntled in the UK

First of all, your item wasn't shipped yet since in the June batch, so you could have not payed anything for shipping. Secondly, UK is outside the EU, there was a vote about this in 2016, so it doesn't matter if the package comes from EU or from HK or from US, it is treated the same, it's an import. If we import it from HK to EU, we will pay import VAT on the product, then when we send it to UK, we claim back that VAT and we should pay VAT in UK, since there is no more free trading between EU and UK.

Up till recently there was a nice option, to pay VAT and Import duty up-front, when you ship to the UK, but this has been changed and now they requires business outside UK to register with HMRC and do HMRC feeling even if they are residing outside UK, a lot of red tape. Since crowdfunding is not a sale, we can still ship the units to UK, but not sure if we will be able to after the IndieGoGo campaign.

We are also a EU registered company so we cannot (and will not take advantage) of any loop-holes in systems to sell at ridiculously / unrealistically cheap prices.

About the user who paid 27 euros, it turned out that user is living in DK, but provided the address as UK so his package traveled the wrong way, hence the extra duties and surcharges.

Not aware of other users from UK having to pay anything additional when they received the package.
    Hello. What's new in 1.5?
    A full changelog for each release would really be appreciated :)
    Thanks for all the hard work!
    Yes, I'll write a full changelog next week from 1.0.0 to 1.5.0 and put it on GitHub + add a link in the app.