- Nov 17, 2016
+1I just want to leave a big THANK YOU for the developers! You invented a great product and do a great job here.
Anyone who has ordered the product knows that it is a crowdfunding project, which may also have teething problems. I find it cheeky to get upset about problems, even though they are dealt with promptly here. What more should the distributors do than react to the problems here and offer solutions?
I also have problems with the device, but I was helped quickly. Even if it takes a few days.
Dear team: Keep up the good work!
Almost the same head units, both Harman. Other software version. But that it happens also with the phone directly connected is good info. Means it probably is an inherent issue in the head unit. You could try to turn the VAG fix on, it's normally only needed on Technisat HU's, but who knows...
Might have found something, you should be able to able to a beta version now.Hey. VAG fix on, nothing changed. What do you suggest to do as a next step? What could be the reason for the car to disable USB power? A loose cable connector?
What I could think of is to find someone with the same unit, and ask for plugging the AAW onto different car to see how it works. Search in progress.
Thats definitely possible but I would have expected to see a note about it in the last update.
Many people have this problem too, I've personally had this bug since I changed my HU last year even with wired AA (phone is galaxy s10+), now the same with AAwireless, so I think this bug isn't because of AAwireless but AA and/or HU/phone. I already tried many things but still can't fix it because it's intermitten
We have a support overload since Android 12, it ain't funny... Emil and myself have (almost) zero issues on our Pixel 6s. The only thing I experienced once or twice is Bluetooth cutting out on the Pixel, have to reboot the phone to get it to work again. Stuff is broken for sure... For some it works fine, for others with seemingly exact the same situation it does not. We're trying to find solutions, but we're already pretty overloaded with everything going on.I wanted provide an update on this to see if anyone has any idea. I ended up downgrading the firmware on my cars head unit to the version that was working perfectly previously. I still have the same situation. Using a cable to my phone AA works perfectly. Using the AAwireless device, my phone connects and prompts me to open AA on my cars head unit however the icon to click on the head unit screen is not there. This behaviour only happens when using the AAWireless device. I am thinking now this is a Android 12 issue and perhaps something updated on my phone around the same time the firmware in my car was updated. Is there anything I should be doing to provide logs on this? There is not really an error I suppose on the AAwireless side but something seems to not communicating correctly. I will be testing on another car to see if the problem persists or not in the coming days.
Explanation: some batch 4 devices have been flashed with batch 3 firmware, and at this point we have no way to differentiate them from the backend automatically. So batch 1, 2 and 4 are save to update, batch 3 not, because it could also very well be an batch 4 device. It's causing havoc cause the backend is not really set up for this situation. For now we are only doing manual updates for batch 3 devices.Wouldn't recommend downgrading your device (requires @Snirpo or another aawireless dev to do this) because then like me, you'll be stuck on firmware 1.5 with no explanation why someone people are on 1.7.1 and others are stuck on 1.5 and no option to update. I'm also a first gen aawireless AAWireless-eSs19MUQ
I've already waited patiently for delivery 3 months more than expected - I ordered In April and was coming in June but now that's looking like October. Now I read on the indiegogo forum that people in the UK are being charged an additional €27 by the Royal mail as the UK is now not in the EU.
Just received my AAWireless, and will plug in and test tonight. Love the packaging, looks great! However… Since it was shipped from Hong Kong I was forced to pay a rather substantial import fee and duties on this bad boy. I was under the impression that they would be shipped from within the EU? Is it stands now I’m EUR 27,00 poorer
Emil Borconi-Szedressy 2 days ago
Looks like you are in the UK which is outside EU and also there is no way to pre-pay taxes with shipping company any more either....
This is a crazy. An additional $10 was already taken for delivery and it was meant to ship from the EU. I suspect the units have been shipped by Royal Mail / Dutch post. The Royal Mail rips off people in the UK because they add another £11 in admin fees on top of the 20% VAT even though goods up to £135 should be exempt.
So not only has VAT been charged coming into the EU from China, it has also been charged coming into the UK ON TOP of the VAT already paid in the EU.
This is just rubbish. What the guys need to do is either ship it from Hong Kong which can cost £0.20 (there are hundreds of chinese ebay and aliexpress sellers doing this already
The $10 postage already taken should then be refunded.
The other way round it is send the item from Hong Kong and to mark the item as a gift and providing it is below £39 there is NO VAT to pay and NO Royal mail admin fee. Actually as the original product was $57 - roughly £41.25 This wouldn't be a crime seeing as we have had to wait soo long. This could also mean the $10 delivery could be refunded
The other way is to ship it via fedex and state the ex-vat cost coming from china and then add 20% vat that the developer should be paying to the UK HMRC.
Sadly if that doesn't take place, EVERYONE IN THE UK will feel ripped off because of the poor delivery and poor choices made by the developers.
Disgruntled in the UK