AAWireless - General discussion and support

Search This thread

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
I'm looking forward to the new FW to send logs. It seems that when using AAW there a audio dropouts more often than cable. I wasn't really sure if it was the phone or the AAW connection. As per my wife's mentioning there is an area near our house, no houses around, that it gets really bad, especially for her.

This morning I was driving a VW Polo that I had moved my AAW box into while my car is in the shop and there were a few dropouts and a quite long one of about 8 seconds. So I'm keen to see what bug reports can show.

Having said that I decided that I need another so I ordered a third box. When my car comes back I'll take my wife's one and she can use a cable for now, until the third arrives and hopefully there are improvements for her experience.

JohnnyCanuck

Jun 7, 2010
Vancouver
I'm looking forward to the new FW to send logs. It seems that when using AAW there a audio dropouts more often than cable. I wasn't really sure if it was the phone or the AAW connection. As per my wife's mentioning there is an area near our house, no houses around, that it gets really bad, especially for her.

This morning I was driving a VW Polo that I had moved my AAW box into while my car is in the shop and there were a few dropouts and a quite long one of about 8 seconds. So I'm keen to see what bug reports can show.

Having said that I decided that I need another so I ordered a third box. When my car comes back I'll take my wife's one and she can use a cable for now, until the third arrives and hopefully there are improvements for her experience.
That might be caused by wifi scanning. I had a similar problem using AA Gateway and using Tasker to disable Wifi and BT scanning resolved it.

JohnnyCanuck

Jun 7, 2010
Vancouver
@JohnnyCanuck has a specific problem that the developers want to investigate using the debug logs. He alone was sent the 1.1.0 firmware because the 1.0.0 firmware has a problem with sending the debug logs.

The rest of you will probably see 1.2.x as your first firmware update.

LeRoy
That's correct. The logs didn't actually send (but they did compile) but everything is working fine now anyway.

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
That might be caused by wifi scanning. I had a similar problem using AA Gateway and using Tasker to disable Wifi and BT scanning resolved it.
That sounds interesting. We are both on Galaxy S20 series phones. On mine I have nearby devices scanning disabled. I can't find anything else that might be related to that?

JohnnyCanuck

Jun 7, 2010
Vancouver
Here was the Tasker task I used to disable BT and WiFI scanning:

Code:
HUR
A1: Custom Setting [ Type:Global Name:ble_scan_always_enabled Value:0 Use Root:Off Read Setting To: ]
A2: Custom Setting [ Type:Global Name:wifi_scan_always_enabled Value:0 Use Root:Off Read Setting To: ]
A3: WiFi Net [ Action:Disconnect Force:Off Report Failure:Off ]

The exit task to re-enable is pretty much the same with just the value changed:

Code:
HUR Restore
A1: Custom Setting [ Type:Global Name:ble_scan_always_enabled Value:1 Use Root:Off Read Setting To: ]
A2: Custom Setting [ Type:Global Name:wifi_scan_always_enabled Value:1 Use Root:Off Read Setting To: ]

Reactions: osm0sis

drpotts

Oct 22, 2014
GMC Yukon 2017. Samsung s20
MTP mode the device never connects to the car. Car comes up with a android auto standard driving warning as if phone was plugged in hit continue on the message the. It just shows projection on the infoscreen I stead of android auto. Mtp force/retry it just keeps cycling. Direct the phone is stuck trying to find android auto.

tallleroy

Nov 20, 2015
Atlanta, Georgia
@Emil Borconi created those modes while trying to get some reluctant head units to cooperate. He will be the best one to describe the new modes.

From my standpoint, if your head unit is not working well with AAWireless, try out the other USB modes. One of them may be just what your phone / head unit needs for success.

LeRoy

JohnnyCanuck

Jun 7, 2010
Vancouver
Used the DPI setting to get split screen this morning. How cool is that? I don't think I'll stay with it because my screen is fairly small, but I'll see how I like it after a few days.

Reactions: mapinkerton

mapinkerton

Jul 28, 2010
Used the DPI setting to get split screen this morning. How cool is that? I don't think I'll stay with it because my screen is fairly small, but I'll see how I like it after a few days.

I like split screen on my 7" display, but it maybe a bit of an acquired taste. My wife prefers the normal screen with larger fonts in her car and may even go the opposite way to make it easier to read.

If my screen was any smaller or farther away or if my eyesight wasn't as good, it would not work for me. As it is, the split screen is just about perfect and it's nice to have options. 👍

JohnnyCanuck

Jun 7, 2010
Vancouver
I like split screen on my 7" display, but it maybe a bit of an acquired taste. My wife prefers the normal screen with larger fonts in her car and may even go the opposite way to make it easier to read.

If my screen was any smaller or farther away or if my eyesight wasn't as good, it would not work for me. As it is, the split screen is just about perfect and it's nice to have options. 👍
My screen is 7" as well. Out of curiousity, what DPI did you use? I have it at 103.

stuartrue

Aug 19, 2014
Success setting this up on my 2017 e-Golf with two Pixel 4a phones. I had to enable Direct Mode and Passthrough, otherwise it took about 90 seconds for everything to connect and work. Once configured properly, it's really fast - maybe 10 seconds. Consistent too. Great job developers!

One issue I have is related to using multiple phones with the device. The connection range is too good! If my wife gets in the car in our garage, my phone will connect (since I last used it) even though I'm in the house. And it doesn't gracefully drop the connection when she drives away. The screen freezes when the car is too far from the phone, and it won't connect to the phone in the car right away. Sometimes it'll reset after a few minutes and connect to the phone in the car, but I've had it go 20+ minutes before I gave up and manually unplugged/replugged it.

My preference would be for the device to connect to the "closer" device. That is, if it can detect which phone has the stronger signal, use that one. Failing that, I would like to see it reset more quickly after going out of range. It's a real usability problem since we alternate use of the car a lot. Most of the time the device is connecting to a phone pretty far away which won't be coming with it. Not ideal. Thanks!

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
@Emil Borconi created those modes while trying to get some reluctant head units to cooperate. He will be the best one to describe the new modes.

From my standpoint, if your head unit is not working well with AAWireless, try out the other USB modes. One of them may be just what your phone / head unit needs for success.

LeRoy
Thanks, some idea on the scenarios he was creating them for would be interesting.

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
Success setting this up on my 2017 e-Golf with two Pixel 4a phones. I had to enable Direct Mode and Passthrough, otherwise it took about 90 seconds for everything to connect and work. Once configured properly, it's really fast - maybe 10 seconds. Consistent too. Great job developers!

One issue I have is related to using multiple phones with the device. The connection range is too good! If my wife gets in the car in our garage, my phone will connect (since I last used it) even though I'm in the house. And it doesn't gracefully drop the connection when she drives away. The screen freezes when the car is too far from the phone, and it won't connect to the phone in the car right away. Sometimes it'll reset after a few minutes and connect to the phone in the car, but I've had it go 20+ minutes before I gave up and manually unplugged/replugged it.

My preference would be for the device to connect to the "closer" device. That is, if it can detect which phone has the stronger signal, use that one. Failing that, I would like to see it reset more quickly after going out of range. It's a real usability problem since we alternate use of the car a lot. Most of the time the device is connecting to a phone pretty far away which won't be coming with it. Not ideal. Thanks!
I do wonder how OEM wireless units handle these and other scenarios, when the cable is out of the equation. With the cable the issue of car sharing didn't matter, but wireless is the way going forward with many new cars and all of those aftermarket decks.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
Something interesting I noticed with the App. I moved my wife's AAW box from her Mitsubishi my GTI as I had moved my unit to our Polo, that is back on the road for a bit.

After a rocky start of taking a long time to bring up the AA screen it's now quite fast in the Polo. I was trying to enable the audio timestamp adjustment, which I hadn't tried yet but it wouldn't save the config.

When I setup the box from my wife's car I enabled the timestamp successfully and then I noticed that the same settings were applied when I was connecting to the other box in the Polo.

This is not a big issue, as they are both VAG cars and the same setup is probably fine, but what if you have another car that doesn't like a certain setup, like when I get my third box and put it back in the Mitsubishi?

Until I saw this I did assume that each individual box had it's own settings, but it seems the app applies the one setup to all the boxes it has in it's list. Could it be made that each box has unique settings? It would also be cool to rename the units.

Reactions: osm0sis

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I should have come to this thread to begin with, but I, too, am having this issue as well. Also in a Polestar 2.

I submitted a support ticket on January 17 this year, and after providing plenty of information and submitting bug reports, it seems I have been forgotten about. I was even told that "no other Polestar owners have reported this" - rubbish, it seems!

I recently got the 4.0 Beta notification and today updated that in the hope that something had been done, but nada!
    I note there are several compatibility options for other manufacturers that exist, including a new one in 4.0 that I haven't noticed before that addresses a Mercedes Benz issue, so surely two people with the exact some car is enough to acknowledge there is an issue for Volvo/Polestar AAOS compatibility?

I'm grateful I didn't buy my AAWireless to use in my Polestar, because I'd be bloody annoyed at having paid the money I did for it and having a shiny, new paperweight as a result.
    AA over CP is NOT a core feature. In fact even CarPlay is NOT a core feature (yet). Its beta... We dont advertise it anywhere. Its a nice extra, but that's it. Sorry but these "paperweight" comments annoy the heck out of me. Some people expect their issues to be fixed right away. That's just not how it works.
    That sounds good.

While I have your attention, where do I find documentation for the app's multitude of device settings?

Also what color should the device's light be when it is connected and properly working? My device is blue and everything seems OK.
    Blue means working correctly, so you're ok.
    Hey Snirpo,

Thank you very much for the quick response.
    I don't like to have Google Maps as start app.

I tried everything to have another app as start app, but did not find a way to change it.

My last hope is to emulate touch inputs on the head unit.

Can you please give me some support how to emulate touch inputs?

Thank you very much.
    It's not possible right now, we have to implement it. But it's quite some work and it will be pretty wonky with all the screen sizes and stuff.
    Hi all, I have a 2020 Corolla Sedan (USA). This car only supports CarPlay, not Android Android Auto.

We purchased the latest version of AAWireless and enrolled in the beta program to enable AA over CP and it actually loads in the car and looks and works like native AA, which is amazing.

We have 2 problems though which is why I am posting.

1. It takes 1 to 4 "reboots" of the dongle to finally load AA (the light goes through the flashing green and flashing blue before resetting and trying again on its own).

2. Once loaded phone calls through AA are in fast forward and sound like a chipmunk. Occasionally GPS also lags, I'm not using the infinite touch setting.

I've spent hours tweaking the various settings and modes but haven't found a combo that fixes these issues.

Appreciate any guidance!
    AA over CP is still very much beta quality. We'll add these issues to our backlog, but right now AA over CP has low prio.
    Core feature or not, everyone knows it's capable of it.
    Nobody is asking for it to be fixed right away, simply acknowledged. @leroy_sunset had no replies to the post back in October and had a support experience that mirrored mine. I was even told "no other Polestar owner has reported this", which was quite clearly not true.

I'm a developer Monday to Friday too, and if I brushed off paying customers with niche requirements, I'd not have a job.
    Hell, right now I and about a dozen other developers are working on a feature to be used by 1 customer.

All I'm asking is that this issue, which clearly does exist, is treated correctly.
    It is treated correctly. It's on our backlog and does not have priority right now unfortunately. I do agree our support may have given false info though... So in that sense you have been brushed off. I'm sorry for that.
    I never criticized the developers, once. I never communicated that my expectations were not met. I bought a product, tried it, found it didn't work for my very niche use case. It's beta, I get it. I'm not mad - a tad disappointed, but I am loading the beta updates literally every time they come through hoping it will work. I didn't return the product because I want it to work, I want to support the company, I want to help the developers get this working on my car!

I will say - wireless CarPlay with an iPhone works perfectly on the Polestar! It's a cool product. I am just hoping that AA over CarPlay will come through some day. In no way do I want to discourage the devs - please, please keep trying to get AA over CarPlay to work on my Polestar! I'd pay 2x for it :D

You guys don't even remotely put out a paperweight. You got me in the beta super quick, you're updating all the time. I definitely have a good impression of Snirpo and I know you'll sell plenty more of these once AA starts working on Polestars. The Polestar forums are dying to get something that works!
    Well that did not work, because the phone, a Pixel 7A, turned both Bluetooth and Wifi back on :eek: Tried it numerous times in the car with same results, away from the car both settings remained off as expected. I also want to keep Bluetooth on for hands free phone calls.
    We can add a feature to disable AAW temporarily. Will probably add it as an "app shortcut" so you can place it on your homescreen.
    This thread is dedicated for AAWireless users.

AAWireless is a device which allows you to transform your existing wired Android Auto compatible unit into a Wireless Android Auto unit.

General chat, experience sharing and community support should be expected as well as support from the developers of the product: @Snirpo and myself.
    I used to get the same thing. I believe it is an issue with AA/Google rather than AAW. In any event, I have had to give up on AAW as I can't connect to it/won't update, just sits there with a constant light-blue light. It is a (very expensive) paper weight on my desk now. It is just "too Beta" for my requirements.

I have now got a Carlink 2022 Android box which works flawlessly for me.
    MG ZS EV 2022
    Galaxy S21 Ultra (not rooted)
    I know I should ignore these posts, but these are the comments why I'm honestly considering completely dropping out any forum / reddit / social media. What's the point? We have support, we have warranty, we have a refund policy. It might be "beta" for you, but we shipped over 100k devices and believe me or not, for most, it just works. It's the same thing for all of these dongles. They will not work perfectly for all, there are just too many variables.
    I just want to leave a big THANK YOU for the developers! You invented a great product and do a great job here.

Anyone who has ordered the product knows that it is a crowdfunding project, which may also have teething problems. I find it cheeky to get upset about problems, even though they are dealt with promptly here. What more should the distributors do than react to the problems here and offer solutions?

I also have problems with the device, but I was helped quickly. Even if it takes a few days.

Dear team: Keep up the good work!
    Very close to release of 2.1.0 now. We fixed the UConnect issue, except for some cases where you still have to re-plug the device, but this is also the case on the MA1.
    We fixed the "VW Headunit crashing on skipping tracks" issue now completely. Confirmed it's a bug on the HU side, latency makes it worse. We will probably push a new firmware by the end of this week.
    I will also submit a bug report to Google, cause they can fix/workaround this issue as well for cabled users.