AAWireless - General discussion and support

Search This thread

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
Went for a bit more of a drive. The short drive I did earlier with the same same settings did get a tiny hiccup in the music, but on this drive I didn't get one music drop out and I always do on that route, so that was good.

The Assistant seems to have more trouble hearing me? On the way there I was on 2.4 and I turned it off for the return but still had issues being heard and understood, couldn't really reply to notifications being read to me.

Just now on the way home as well I realised the map was not smooth. It seemed to be keeping up, but not smoothly anymore, this was on 5ghz.

Tomorrow I'll put it on 2.4ghz again and test some more.

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
Went for a bit more of a drive. The short drive I did earlier with the same same settings did get a tiny hiccup in the music, but on this drive I didn't get one music drop out and I always do on that route, so that was good.

The Assistant seems to have more trouble hearing me? On the way there I was on 2.4 and I turned it off for the return but still had issues being heard and understood, couldn't really reply to notifications being read to me.

Just now on the way home as well I realised the map was not smooth. It seemed to be keeping up, but not smoothly anymore, this was on 5ghz.

Tomorrow I'll put it on 2.4ghz again and test some more.
We have some optimizations for 2.4ghz in the next version, that might help. The issues you are having are a bit odd though, hard to explain them. Almost sounds like the WiFi connection is just terrible.

Super Josh

Nov 28, 2015
Hi All,

Received my shiny AAW unit today and it looks great :)

I thought that I would update the firmware first before trying to connect it to my headunit in the car.

When I connect the app to the unit and go in to the OTA update screen it states that I'm on version 1.2.1 but it says no update available. I thought v1.2.3 was already released? Or am I missing something?

Cheers,

Josh

micro2112

Aug 25, 2010
Columbus, OH
So i updated my 2nd batch unit yesterday, and all was working fine. Then i parked and walked away from the running car to pick up the kids and the AAW will no longer connect.
I think its constantly power cycling because the app will show the settings, then they grey out, and come back.
Issue continued this morning.

Honda Odyssey, OnePlus 5t - Android 11.

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
Drove to work this morning and there were gaps in the music again in the same area as usual, but where there wasn't any last night. A lot more traffic, so I was going a lot slower. Watching the map it was laggy, then catching up, then laggy, then catching up. I went past a road and I could see on the map I had not reached it yet, then it jumped ahead.

I was able to ask for a song successfully this morning.

On the way home I'll switch back to 2.4gha and observe.

vizzze

Jan 16, 2011
Drove to work this morning and there were gaps in the music again in the same area as usual, but where there wasn't any last night. A lot more traffic, so I was going a lot slower. Watching the map it was laggy, then catching up, then laggy, then catching up. I went past a road and I could see on the map I had not reached it yet, then it jumped ahead.

I was able to ask for a song successfully this morning.

On the way home I'll switch back to 2.4gha and observe.
On my car the GPS/Maps issue was caused by the "Remove tap restriction" option that was enabled. If you have it enabled, try without.
On my VW car the gaps in the music were resolved updating the headunit software, so it was definitely not aawireless problem in my case

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
What headunit and software do you have? I've never had the tap restriction on, I am running very exeperimental VAG FW, which gave me other issues, which were resolved by using the Passthrough method, which looks to be giving GPS issues on top.

Soon I'll drive it home and test again, then I'll put it back to Direct and double check the GPS in the normal scenario.

vizzze

Jan 16, 2011
What headunit and software do you have? I've never had the tap restriction on, I am running very exeperimental VAG FW, which gave me other issues, which were resolved by using the Passthrough method, which looks to be giving GPS issues on top.

Soon I'll drive it home and test again, then I'll put it back to Direct and double check the GPS in the normal scenario.
Technisat unit: MST2_EU_VW_ZR_P0369

charlie234

Oct 25, 2015
Any update with looking into this working with Mazda 2016 cx5's with the oem aa head unit or am I just out of luck with this one?

fese

Aug 2, 2010
We fixed the "VW Headunit crashing on skipping tracks" issue now completely. Confirmed it's a bug on the HU side, latency makes it worse. We will probably push a new firmware by the end of this week.
I will also submit a bug report to Google, cause they can fix/workaround this issue as well for cabled users.
Hello Snirpo,
can you give us more technical details, how you could fix it? Is the bug report public available?

I'm just curious about that, because I'm struggling with this bug years before AAWireless. Android Auto music playback on my Technisat MIB2 was always unstable. It was not only happen on skipping a song. Different cables and phones never fixed it. I also reported this issue, but there it looked like it only a few people faced this bug.
Recently I did the unofficial firmware update from 0253 to 0478, only because of the hope that this bug is fixed there. I didn't drove a long distance to make proper conclusion about stability, but since the update I never faced any reboot.

After the MIB2 update I observed another issue with AAWireless. If I keep AAWireless connected to the USB port (I'm not sure if USB power is always on?), on the next car trip it can happen that the HU can't recognize any Android Auto device. It always tries to connect, but then it will abort. Also my smartphone will not work in this scenario via cable. After a power cycle of the HU, the problem is gone. As a workaround I always unconnect AAWireless after a trip and plug it in when I start the ignition. I also tried different USB Modes without success. My AAWireless ID is "AAWireless-eMgvu2dt".

Thank you very much for a great product! I really appreciated your work and open communication.

Synman

Recognized Developer
I'm sure this has been covered but I wanted to provide some updates experience wise.

The companion app really needs some TLC lifecycle / state wise. Half the time I open it, it wants to go through the initial setup process even though I have an AAW registered. It also put a persistent notification on my notification stack the other day about "setting up AAW" and the only way I could get rid of it was to reboot my Pixel 5.

Something else I noticed on my Hyundai Sonata was related to the "multiple touch/tap" option and YT Music playback. With that dev option enabled, AA does not receive next track / progression info and causes all kinds of visual / playlist selection funkiness. Since I don't have a specific need for this feature I disabled it (honestly have no clue what it is intended for TBT) and playback track change sink is far more reliable...

I do like the auto start feature released recently. Having my HU open AA automatically is a nice bonus. It works without issue about 90% of the time.

Still am having to deal with latent WI-FI and BT connections if I get anywhere near my car HOURS after shutting it down. Beyond unplugging my AAW, the only other way I am able to prevent AAW from stealing my active WI-Fi connection post shutdown is to toggle both Wi-Fi and BT off on my Pixel 5 and only re-enable Wi-Fi. If I disable Wi-Fi and leave BT on, something (I'm assuming AA) automatically re-enables Wi-Fi and it re-connects to the AAW hotspot.

Really looking forward to some updates to address this one. I expected to see an update on Indiegogo about it, but the last update was focused on just shipment updates. I have not reviewed all the update in this thread since I last visited so perhaps I've missed some updates here too.... although I do know it was acknowledged the team is still working out some kinks / issues with this use case.

Reactions: djbolden

Marshy33

Nov 28, 2015
Wow someone who has faced all the struggles I have. I was originally on software 245 and had all the issues you had. Upgrade to 253 made it a little bit better and I'm now on 475 which is far more stable, but I could still force a headunit crash if I tried.

Now using the new version snirpo has made and I can confirm I cannot force the headunit to crash after lots of trying!

As for you other point regarding not being able to connect the in the 2nd trip, I had this issue when on 253 using an old phone always plugged into the car. I would have to pull the usb and replug to get it working again. But in my quest to stop the reboots i used vcds/obdeleven to see if there were any settings I could change. There was one in 5F byte 19 usb. Changing that from ipod_usb to full meant android auto booted everytime without me having to pull the usb. (It had no effects on the crashing headunit)

Hello Snirpo,
can you give us more technical details, how you could fix it? Is the bug report public available?

I'm just curious about that, because I'm struggling with this bug years before AAWireless. Android Auto music playback on my Technisat MIB2 was always unstable. It was not only happen on skipping a song. Different cables and phones never fixed it. I also reported this issue, but there it looked like it only a few people faced this bug.
Recently I did the unofficial firmware update from 0253 to 0478, only because of the hope that this bug is fixed there. I didn't drove a long distance to make proper conclusion about stability, but since the update I never faced any reboot.

After the MIB2 update I observed another issue with AAWireless. If I keep AAWireless connected to the USB port (I'm not sure if USB power is always on?), on the next car trip it can happen that the HU can't recognize any Android Auto device. It always tries to connect, but then it will abort. Also my smartphone will not work in this scenario via cable. After a power cycle of the HU, the problem is gone. As a workaround I always unconnect AAWireless after a trip and plug it in when I start the ignition. I also tried different USB Modes without success. My AAWireless ID is "AAWireless-eMgvu2dt".

Thank you very much for a great product! I really appreciated your work and open communication.

Reactions: fese

Saison2018

First, thanks a lot to everyone who is sharing information.
I was able to resolve troubleshooting with first pairing and having AAWireless working correctly by reading this thread. Officiel support is useless: I sent an email last Sunday and received answer 4 days after, still pointing on not useful information on the FAQ.
Here is my setup:
  1. Kia Niro 2020
  2. Huawei P20 Pro, Android 10
  3. AAWireless Fw 1.2.3
  4. App Companion 1.7.1
Remaining main problem : I lose display screen on Head unit but audio is ok (= music streaming continues and able to skip tracks)
Only solution is to grab the phone, tap on banner to exit completely Android Auto/Google Assistant and let reconnect everything.
This happens randomly, without doing anything (only displaying Google Maps without guidance) or during Google Maps and/or Music (skip tracks).
Screen also "freezes", many times before I lose it as described before, but sometime like if it takes too long to respond and I have to wait.
In App Companion, I only activated "remove tap restriction" and "Auto video focus" like reported by @tallleroy in his post. No "USB Mode" or "Passthrough" modification.
I tried to change DPI (110, 120, 130) and let default value, I still lose display almost each time I use AAWireless.
I am not sure to someone already share same trouble and if someone point to a solution. If so, please excuse me and point me in the right direction.
Thanks a lot

GeekyHusband

Oct 16, 2017
The same for me, solid green light, it never goes beyond booting.
I have already tried rebooting the device with a 5-second press, flashing it with DRAM fix - no effect so far.
Is it bricked? It still can be flashed, so maybe there's hope. Is there any alternative firmware that I can "unbrick" it with?
Just curious if you ever got a response on your unit. Still haven't heard anything about my unit not working. It'd be nice to actually be able to use it. :)

Rag3

Sep 5, 2008
@Snirpo
Short feedback from my side on the beta FW to fix AA crash the HU on VW/VAG cars:
I'm running a Technisat HU in my Skoda Octavia from 2020, SW Version 0478. I did not drive very much since the update but I did all I could to make it crash - skipping songs over an over.
So far, no crash. So whatever magic you guys did, it appears to work for me at least :)
Looking forward to installing the final FW and hoping for Google to fix this thing for good following your suggestion - also had the crashes on wired AA.
Thanks!

Reactions: andreiav and nunein

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
Hello Snirpo,

I have yet to create an issue for Google, but it's quite simple actually.

Situation 1 - This is when it all goes well:

Phone --> Audio data --> HU
Phone <-- Ack <-- HU
Phone <-- Ack <-- HU
Phone --> Media stop --> HU

Situation 2 - This is when it fails:

Phone <-- Ack <-- HU
Phone --> Media stop --> HU
CRASH

Basically when the HU is still processing audio (didn't send an Ack yet), and the phone meanwhile sends a media stop command, the HU crashes.
I don't know exactly why, but latency / jitter (because of WiFi) makes situation 2 happen more often.

I was planning to release a new firmware with this fix today, sadly I didn't have enough time. I'm hoping to finish it this weekend. I want to add some functionality to enable it by default when a Technisat head unit is detected.

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
I'm sure this has been covered but I wanted to provide some updates experience wise.

The companion app really needs some TLC lifecycle / state wise. Half the time I open it, it wants to go through the initial setup process even though I have an AAW registered. It also put a persistent notification on my notification stack the other day about "setting up AAW" and the only way I could get rid of it was to reboot my Pixel 5.

Something else I noticed on my Hyundai Sonata was related to the "multiple touch/tap" option and YT Music playback. With that dev option enabled, AA does not receive next track / progression info and causes all kinds of visual / playlist selection funkiness. Since I don't have a specific need for this feature I disabled it (honestly have no clue what it is intended for TBT) and playback track change sink is far more reliable...

I do like the auto start feature released recently. Having my HU open AA automatically is a nice bonus. It works without issue about 90% of the time.

Still am having to deal with latent WI-FI and BT connections if I get anywhere near my car HOURS after shutting it down. Beyond unplugging my AAW, the only other way I am able to prevent AAW from stealing my active WI-Fi connection post shutdown is to toggle both Wi-Fi and BT off on my Pixel 5 and only re-enable Wi-Fi. If I disable Wi-Fi and leave BT on, something (I'm assuming AA) automatically re-enables Wi-Fi and it re-connects to the AAW hotspot.

Really looking forward to some updates to address this one. I expected to see an update on Indiegogo about it, but the last update was focused on just shipment updates. I have not reviewed all the update in this thread since I last visited so perhaps I've missed some updates here too.... although I do know it was acknowledged the team is still working out some kinks / issues with this use case.
We are working as fast as possible to fix all issues. I just pushed a new app (1.8.0) with the functionality you are describing: Start / stop AA based on the BT handsfree of the car is connected. I'm not terribly convinced yet this is going to work correctly on all phones though, so I pushed it to the beta channel first for some feedback.
Also the initial setup bug you are describing should've been fixed. This happened because the list of devices was based on the bluetooth devices of the phone. However if bluetooth is off, the list of devices is empty. And if the device list is empty, it starts the setup. We are now saving a copy of the device list in our own local database.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That sounds good.

While I have your attention, where do I find documentation for the app's multitude of device settings?

Also what color should the device's light be when it is connected and properly working? My device is blue and everything seems OK.
    Blue means working correctly, so you're ok.
    Hey Snirpo,

Thank you very much for the quick response.
    I don't like to have Google Maps as start app.

I tried everything to have another app as start app, but did not find a way to change it.

My last hope is to emulate touch inputs on the head unit.

Can you please give me some support how to emulate touch inputs?

Thank you very much.
    It's not possible right now, we have to implement it. But it's quite some work and it will be pretty wonky with all the screen sizes and stuff.
    Hi all, I have a 2020 Corolla Sedan (USA). This car only supports CarPlay, not Android Android Auto.

We purchased the latest version of AAWireless and enrolled in the beta program to enable AA over CP and it actually loads in the car and looks and works like native AA, which is amazing.

We have 2 problems though which is why I am posting.

1. It takes 1 to 4 "reboots" of the dongle to finally load AA (the light goes through the flashing green and flashing blue before resetting and trying again on its own).

2. Once loaded phone calls through AA are in fast forward and sound like a chipmunk. Occasionally GPS also lags, I'm not using the infinite touch setting.

I've spent hours tweaking the various settings and modes but haven't found a combo that fixes these issues.

Appreciate any guidance!
    AA over CP is still very much beta quality. We'll add these issues to our backlog, but right now AA over CP has low prio.
    Hello together,
    i received my AAWireless on yesterdays but couldn't get it to work.
    In bluetooth & WiFi mine shows up as AAWireless-593f3477.

I tried several settings & combinations in the app.
    Like USB-Mode, Passthrough, Dongle-mode etc. had nearly anything on/off once.
    I deletet data/cache for AndroidAuto and for the AAWireless app and tried factory resetting my AAWireless.

On my Phone i'm having 2 notifications regarding AndroidAuto:
    1. Connected with your car
    2. Looking for Android Auto (with progress-bar)

My car's HU is a VW Disocver Media, running FW MST2_EU_VW_E0220D, which is the stock one it shipped with as far as i know of.

@Emil Borconi @Snirpo i'd be very thankful for some advice. For a 10-Minute commute having AA working wirelessly would be way more reasonable than plugging/unplugging on these short trips.
    Hi there,

Could you please email us at support@aawireless.io? We can continue troubleshooting there, if that is fine with you as well! Thank you for your cooperation.
    I just did so, hopefully we can sort out the issues.
    A famous customer:

Free ad (y)
    Hey Snirpo,

Thank you very much for the quick response.
    I don't like to have Google Maps as start app.

I tried everything to have another app as start app, but did not find a way to change it.

My last hope is to emulate touch inputs on the head unit.

Can you please give me some support how to emulate touch inputs?

Thank you very much.
    This thread is dedicated for AAWireless users.

AAWireless is a device which allows you to transform your existing wired Android Auto compatible unit into a Wireless Android Auto unit.

General chat, experience sharing and community support should be expected as well as support from the developers of the product: @Snirpo and myself.
    I used to get the same thing. I believe it is an issue with AA/Google rather than AAW. In any event, I have had to give up on AAW as I can't connect to it/won't update, just sits there with a constant light-blue light. It is a (very expensive) paper weight on my desk now. It is just "too Beta" for my requirements.

I have now got a Carlink 2022 Android box which works flawlessly for me.
    MG ZS EV 2022
    Galaxy S21 Ultra (not rooted)
    I know I should ignore these posts, but these are the comments why I'm honestly considering completely dropping out any forum / reddit / social media. What's the point? We have support, we have warranty, we have a refund policy. It might be "beta" for you, but we shipped over 100k devices and believe me or not, for most, it just works. It's the same thing for all of these dongles. They will not work perfectly for all, there are just too many variables.
    I just want to leave a big THANK YOU for the developers! You invented a great product and do a great job here.

Anyone who has ordered the product knows that it is a crowdfunding project, which may also have teething problems. I find it cheeky to get upset about problems, even though they are dealt with promptly here. What more should the distributors do than react to the problems here and offer solutions?

I also have problems with the device, but I was helped quickly. Even if it takes a few days.

Dear team: Keep up the good work!
    Very close to release of 2.1.0 now. We fixed the UConnect issue, except for some cases where you still have to re-plug the device, but this is also the case on the MA1.
    We fixed the "VW Headunit crashing on skipping tracks" issue now completely. Confirmed it's a bug on the HU side, latency makes it worse. We will probably push a new firmware by the end of this week.
    I will also submit a bug report to Google, cause they can fix/workaround this issue as well for cabled users.