AAWireless - General discussion and support

Search This thread

tallleroy

Nov 20, 2015
Atlanta, Georgia
For those of you using the AAWireless Config app Beta 1.8.0. The new Start / Stop option will trigger a white led when the device is waiting for the vehicle bluetooth to connect to your phone.

Right now with firmware 1.2.x the white LED is solid, in the near future firmware 1.3.0 and onward it will be flashing white.

When you see the white LED, the device is powered, but the Wireless Android Auto protocol is disabled. When your phone connects to the vehicle bluetooth, the Wireless Android Auto protocol is enabled. The effect is to allow normal connection to other Wi-Fi networks whenever the Wireless Android Auto protocol is disabled.

Whenever your USB port is powered, the AAWireless device will be powered up. So if your USB port is powered all the time, you should probably unplug the AAWireless device when get on the ship for your world cruise. Although the battery drain of the powered AAWireless device will be very small, extended periods of time may drain your battery enough that you will notice. ( My KILL A WATT EZ cannot measure the combination of a USB charger with the AAWireless device in Start / Stop standby. The combined wattage is too low to register for that instrument. )

The Beta testers have identified a problem with Start / Stop. There will be another version coming.

LeRoy

Last edited:

Marshy33

Nov 28, 2015
Hello guys!

My Configuration:
Seat Ibiza 2019
Samsung Galaxy S20 5G (Android 11)
Playstore AAWireless Config App 1.7.1
AA Wirelesss (updated to 1.2.3. from 1.1.0 after receiving 2 weeks ago) and a another, short IF-certified USB cable

View attachment 5310221

Everything works as far as "perfect" after activate "Passthrough".

Before i had the problem, that i can't hear every half of an hour/hour in Spotify the next track in a playlist/album (never at the END or IN a track!!!) and after pressing a button on my car display the headunit crashed. After crashing (takes 20 Seconds for reboot and so on) it works fine for the next few hours. I readed this error so many times ago in this thread for this headunit.
After changing it to "passthrough," this error seems to be gone. BUT as far as I use another BT-connection outside of my car (i erased every BT connection before 2 weeks after installing AAW) this error comes again and very often as long as i don't erasing every other BTs in my Android!

Do you have an actually FW for my car for testing if it is better after updating?

You have explained exactly what the VW headunit crash issue is. This will be fixed in the next OTA.

Also please can you send me a link to the usb cable you got. Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Tommy Hilfaker

psmedley

May 5, 2011
Adelaide
Sorry, I did not understand your first post correctly @psmedley. Flashing blue LED indicates a completed connection between the phone and the device, and no connection from the device to the head unit over USB.

The only solution with that condition is to try the four different USB mode options in the AAWireless config app and the Passthrough option.

There may be one of those settings that will work for you.

I did not have much luck with my friend's high end Buick SUV. The head unit saw and registered the device as Android Auto, but would not fully connect and display Android Auto.

I found it interesting that my friend also had a base model Chevrolet mid size pickup with the most basic GM radio and it worked with AAWireless immediately.

The developers are aware of the problem and will be working toward a better solution. They have overcome many problems with software refinement so far. I think they will be able to solve this one too.

LeRoy
Interesting... As you may be aware, Holden is a GM brand, so the head unit is likely similar to your friend's Buick. The Astra is a MY20 that has a newer generation head unit than is in the MY18 Commodore (sold as a Buick Regal in the US)

Super Josh

Nov 28, 2015
I managed to get my unit up and running at the weekend. Here's my setup, just in case it is helpful to anyone else :)

Head Unit: Pioneer Avic F77DAB (Avic 8100NEX - us model )
Phone: Google Pixel 3 XL running 'droid 11
Firmware: 1.21

I had to set the USB mode to 'Direct' to get everything to work.

Cheers,

Josh

qvert

Oct 10, 2008
found a way to 100% crash my VAG Headunit

- navigate with sound
- play sound with spotifiy
- ontop at the phone use the blitzer.de app to notify you about speedlimits, once the blitzer.de apps send a sound --> Head unit crashes after 2nd sound

1000m warning = fine
500m warning = crash

May 15, 2021
@Marshy33

Thanks for your answer!

I already used another IF certified USB cable:

Exactly the Same Problem.
But, Listen to me: The Problems are very very rare! Before, with the cabled using, i got so many other Problems that are now gone!

One thing i had every time with AAW: The using of Google Maps in a Higher sight is jiggling(?) (Sorry, dont know what the german "ruckeln" means in english). The delay is heavy in higher sights of this app.

Reactions: Marshy33

tallleroy

Nov 20, 2015
Atlanta, Georgia
New version of the AAWireless config app in the Beta channel. 1.8.1

Fixes a problem found with the new Start / Stop feature. There is still a problem when you turn the Start / Stop setting off. You will need to cycle the USB power on the device for it to take effect. Future firmware for the AAWireless device will be needed to address that problem.

So if you have a vehicle that leaves the USB power on after you turn off the ignition, give the 1.8.1 Beta a try.

LeRoy

TheUntouchable

Jul 14, 2010
Germany
Huawei P30 Pro
@Marshy33

Thanks for your answer!

I already used another IF certified USB cable:

Exactly the Same Problem.
But, Listen to me: The Problems are very very rare! Before, with the cabled using, i got so many other Problems that are now gone!

One thing i had every time with AAW: The using of Google Maps in a Higher sight is jiggling(?) (Sorry, dont know what the german "ruckeln" means in english). The delay is heavy in higher sights of this app.
Its "lagging" ;) Did you activate the "Remove tap restriction" option..?

tukiii

Jan 29, 2013
Eindhoven
Car: Mercedes A180 2015 (NTG5.1 head unit)
Phone: Pixel 5, Android 11

Got my AAWireless unit today but unfortunately i get random disconnections - sometimes after minutes and sometimes after seconds. Couldn't really reproduce them yet. Different USB modes, force 2.4 ghz wifi, passthrough mode didn't fix it for me yet. Also disabled battery optimisation and wifi/bt scanning for location.

Just signed up for the beta and will check if things are better.

Edit: beta didn't fix it and the "allow audio latency dump" setting also not

Last edited:

limited73

Apr 15, 2021
Any timeline on a fix for Nissan? I've been in contact with support for over a month now, sent logs, tried different cables, all the settings...nothing.

ahecht

Oct 23, 2010
No luck on my 2018 Chevy Volt with MyLink. Closest I got was a pop-up on the car's screen asking me to accept the Android Auto warnings, but after that I don't get an Android Auto icon on the screen, and clicking Projection does nothing -- not even the normal "No device connected" error message. My phone buzzes every few seconds saying "Connected to your car", but the "Searching for Android Auto" message never goes away.

Reactions: dallasnights

tallleroy

Nov 20, 2015
Atlanta, Georgia
Some edited thoughts on my settings with AAWireless Config 1.8.2 that may help someone. This version of the app works best with OTA firmware version 1.3.0. Which should be available soon for all versions of the AAWireless device. It may also be used with OTA firmware 1.2.x, but we have identified some problems that are fixed in OTA firmware 1.3.0. Update when you get the chance.

The 1.8.x version of the app introduces the Start / Stop option.

I have a 10.25 Hyundai head unit. I think that the Wireless Projection function of this unit is the same for KIA and Genesis 10.25 inch head units. This head unit first appeared in 2019 Korean model years and is very flexible when used with with AAWireless.

Here are the settings in the AAWireless Connect app version 1.8.2 that I use and what also works with my head unit.

USB Mode I use MTP, but Direct works as well. The head unit responds a bit faster with MTP.

Passthrough I have it turned off. The head unit works with Passthrough turned on, but DPI, Remove tap restriction, Disable Audio Sink, AutoVideo Focus and Developer mode cannot be processed by AAWireless when on. When on the exact encrypted data conversation is transmitted between your phone and the head unit. When off, AAWireless joins the conversation to inject those Experimental Features.

Force 2.4Ghz I have it turned off. The 5Ghz channel used is 40. This feature will turn off 5Ghz Wi-Fi in favor of 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi on channel 1.

Start / Stop I have this turned on. What it is designed for is those vehicles that keep the USB port powered on while the ignition is off. My Hyundai keeps the USB port powered for several minutes after I turn off the car and leave vehicle. With this turned off, my phone won't connect to my home network.

WiFi connect timeout I now leave this at the default 20 seconds. For a couple of months after the initial conversion to Android 11, my Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G phone would not connect to AAWireless on the first try. It would always connect on the second try. Samsung fixed their problem with a subsequent update. But while this was a problem, reducing the WiFi connect timeout to 5 seconds really helped.

Adjust audio timestamp I have it turned off. The head unit also works with it turned on. Turn this on if you notice things out of sync. With OTA firmware 1.3.0, enabling this option will help with certain Volkswagen Auto Group (VAG) head units that crash when playing audio.

Change DPI I use 130 to see more of the map. Lower numbers make the area of the map shown larger but the text will be smaller. The number 0 will restore the default used by your phone, head unit combination.

On my head unit, using the number 103 will put Android Auto into wide mode with map and media side by side. But it is still only displayed in the left portion of the screen, and much of the text is too small for me to read.

Remove tap restriction I turn this on, it helps me with my on phone music collection. The head unit works with this off. Some other head units will not update your GPS map position properly with this option on.

Disable Audio Sink I have this turned off. Turning this on will make your phone use something else for audio. In my case it is the phone's speaker.

Auto video focus I have this turned on. This option tells my Infotainment system to switch to Android Auto when AAWireless connects. I don't have to navigate through the screens to get Android Auto up where I can see it.

Developer Mode I have this turned off. The head unit works with this turned on. An app update will be needed to correct the text. Frankly, I am not sure what is enabled by setting this on, but Emil is sure some of you will know.

I often use the app with the AAWireless device plugged into a USB A power source, like a power supply or a charging port in your vehicle. The Android Auto traffic going through the device can make app less responsive.

When an OTA is available, it is better to download the OTA with the AAWireless device powered off and your phone on WiFi. Once the download has completed, turn on AAWireless, link to it again and upload the OTA to the device.

I use a large microSD card in my phone (Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G) to store my music collection. I play the music with Rocket Music Player. Works very well under Android Auto.

LeRoy

tallleroy

Nov 20, 2015
Atlanta, Georgia
Here are the LED codes for OTA firmware 1.3.0. Added Blinking White to the list

Solid Green, the device is booting, should complete in under 12 seconds. Both the Bluetooth and WiFi are not active until after the boot is completed.

Blinking Green, the device has activated Bluetooth and is waiting for a WiFi connection from your phone. You will only be able to pair while under blinking green.

Blinking White, the device has completed boot and is waiting for the Head Unit Bluetooth to connect with your phone. The device will not take over the Wi-Fi on your phone while it is blinking white. You will be able to connect your phone to any other Wi-Fi network. Use the Start / Stop Option to enable this mode.

Blinking Blue, the device has fully connected with your phone and is attempting to connect with your head unit via USB.

Solid Blue, the device is full connected with your phone and the head unit. The first time you connect you may need to set some Android Auto permissions and some head units may also produce prompts for you to answer.

Solid Yellow, the device is loading an OTA update into memory.

Red, an error has occurred, the device will attempt recovery after a timeout.

None / Black The LED will not be active when you first apply power for a very brief time. And the LED will not be active at all when the device is ready to be flashed from your computer. It will remain inactive until the flash program completes loading the firmware and reboots the device.

The general rule is that blinking means the device is waiting for something to happen. Solid means the device is engaged in some type of work.

LeRoy

luxorjd

Feb 22, 2012
Copenhagen
I just recieved my unit, i had some troubles connection to the car. It is a Citroen C3 from 2020.
I just found that i have to delete known connections in android auto.
If i leave car known in android auto, it will connect phone and sound is transmitted from phone to car, but there is no picture.
If i delete car from android auto, and accept connection again, i get display and sound.

Anybody know what to do ?

I tried the stop/start function, but i dont know how to use it, how to active handsfree in citroen c3 ??

seseattle

Jul 6, 2006
Houston, TX
Just went out to my truck to flash the new firmware and it was dead. The battery was at 7V. It's a 2019 Ram 1500 and the only thing different was that I left the AAWireless plugged in overnight with the USB Off option.

Could it be hanging while flashing white and drawing more power in that state?

mackus44

Nov 20, 2014
I received my box today. Unfortunately I have problems so far: The box is recognized as a Bluetooth device AAWireless-Axxxxx, the coupling is started and then canceled with "no connection possible". The coupling starts again, etc. in a continuous loop.
An AAWireless-Axxxxx WLAN is generated by the box.
The app has updated to 1.3.0 via OTA
Can someone help?
Audi A3 8Y with MMI,
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G, Android 11
Can someone help?

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
I received my box today. Unfortunately I have problems so far: The box is recognized as a Bluetooth device AAWireless-Axxxxx, the coupling is started and then canceled with "no connection possible". The coupling starts again, etc. in a continuous loop.
An AAWireless-Axxxxx WLAN is generated by the box.
The app has updated to 1.3.0 via OTA
Can someone help?
Audi A3 8Y with MMI,
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G, Android 11
Can someone help?
I'm no expert but try connecting to it via a USB power source, out of the car.

1.30 is the FW for the device, not the app, so you might have it out of the box, or it may be available to you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I should have come to this thread to begin with, but I, too, am having this issue as well. Also in a Polestar 2.

I submitted a support ticket on January 17 this year, and after providing plenty of information and submitting bug reports, it seems I have been forgotten about. I was even told that "no other Polestar owners have reported this" - rubbish, it seems!

I recently got the 4.0 Beta notification and today updated that in the hope that something had been done, but nada!
    I note there are several compatibility options for other manufacturers that exist, including a new one in 4.0 that I haven't noticed before that addresses a Mercedes Benz issue, so surely two people with the exact some car is enough to acknowledge there is an issue for Volvo/Polestar AAOS compatibility?

I'm grateful I didn't buy my AAWireless to use in my Polestar, because I'd be bloody annoyed at having paid the money I did for it and having a shiny, new paperweight as a result.
    AA over CP is NOT a core feature. In fact even CarPlay is NOT a core feature (yet). Its beta... We dont advertise it anywhere. Its a nice extra, but that's it. Sorry but these "paperweight" comments annoy the heck out of me. Some people expect their issues to be fixed right away. That's just not how it works.
    That sounds good.

While I have your attention, where do I find documentation for the app's multitude of device settings?

Also what color should the device's light be when it is connected and properly working? My device is blue and everything seems OK.
    Blue means working correctly, so you're ok.
    Hey Snirpo,

Thank you very much for the quick response.
    I don't like to have Google Maps as start app.

I tried everything to have another app as start app, but did not find a way to change it.

My last hope is to emulate touch inputs on the head unit.

Can you please give me some support how to emulate touch inputs?

Thank you very much.
    It's not possible right now, we have to implement it. But it's quite some work and it will be pretty wonky with all the screen sizes and stuff.
    Hi all, I have a 2020 Corolla Sedan (USA). This car only supports CarPlay, not Android Android Auto.

We purchased the latest version of AAWireless and enrolled in the beta program to enable AA over CP and it actually loads in the car and looks and works like native AA, which is amazing.

We have 2 problems though which is why I am posting.

1. It takes 1 to 4 "reboots" of the dongle to finally load AA (the light goes through the flashing green and flashing blue before resetting and trying again on its own).

2. Once loaded phone calls through AA are in fast forward and sound like a chipmunk. Occasionally GPS also lags, I'm not using the infinite touch setting.

I've spent hours tweaking the various settings and modes but haven't found a combo that fixes these issues.

Appreciate any guidance!
    AA over CP is still very much beta quality. We'll add these issues to our backlog, but right now AA over CP has low prio.
    Core feature or not, everyone knows it's capable of it.
    Nobody is asking for it to be fixed right away, simply acknowledged. @leroy_sunset had no replies to the post back in October and had a support experience that mirrored mine. I was even told "no other Polestar owner has reported this", which was quite clearly not true.

I'm a developer Monday to Friday too, and if I brushed off paying customers with niche requirements, I'd not have a job.
    Hell, right now I and about a dozen other developers are working on a feature to be used by 1 customer.

All I'm asking is that this issue, which clearly does exist, is treated correctly.
    It is treated correctly. It's on our backlog and does not have priority right now unfortunately. I do agree our support may have given false info though... So in that sense you have been brushed off. I'm sorry for that.
    I never criticized the developers, once. I never communicated that my expectations were not met. I bought a product, tried it, found it didn't work for my very niche use case. It's beta, I get it. I'm not mad - a tad disappointed, but I am loading the beta updates literally every time they come through hoping it will work. I didn't return the product because I want it to work, I want to support the company, I want to help the developers get this working on my car!

I will say - wireless CarPlay with an iPhone works perfectly on the Polestar! It's a cool product. I am just hoping that AA over CarPlay will come through some day. In no way do I want to discourage the devs - please, please keep trying to get AA over CarPlay to work on my Polestar! I'd pay 2x for it :D

You guys don't even remotely put out a paperweight. You got me in the beta super quick, you're updating all the time. I definitely have a good impression of Snirpo and I know you'll sell plenty more of these once AA starts working on Polestars. The Polestar forums are dying to get something that works!
    Well that did not work, because the phone, a Pixel 7A, turned both Bluetooth and Wifi back on :eek: Tried it numerous times in the car with same results, away from the car both settings remained off as expected. I also want to keep Bluetooth on for hands free phone calls.
    We can add a feature to disable AAW temporarily. Will probably add it as an "app shortcut" so you can place it on your homescreen.
    This thread is dedicated for AAWireless users.

AAWireless is a device which allows you to transform your existing wired Android Auto compatible unit into a Wireless Android Auto unit.

General chat, experience sharing and community support should be expected as well as support from the developers of the product: @Snirpo and myself.
    I used to get the same thing. I believe it is an issue with AA/Google rather than AAW. In any event, I have had to give up on AAW as I can't connect to it/won't update, just sits there with a constant light-blue light. It is a (very expensive) paper weight on my desk now. It is just "too Beta" for my requirements.

I have now got a Carlink 2022 Android box which works flawlessly for me.
    MG ZS EV 2022
    Galaxy S21 Ultra (not rooted)
    I know I should ignore these posts, but these are the comments why I'm honestly considering completely dropping out any forum / reddit / social media. What's the point? We have support, we have warranty, we have a refund policy. It might be "beta" for you, but we shipped over 100k devices and believe me or not, for most, it just works. It's the same thing for all of these dongles. They will not work perfectly for all, there are just too many variables.
    I just want to leave a big THANK YOU for the developers! You invented a great product and do a great job here.

Anyone who has ordered the product knows that it is a crowdfunding project, which may also have teething problems. I find it cheeky to get upset about problems, even though they are dealt with promptly here. What more should the distributors do than react to the problems here and offer solutions?

I also have problems with the device, but I was helped quickly. Even if it takes a few days.

Dear team: Keep up the good work!
    Very close to release of 2.1.0 now. We fixed the UConnect issue, except for some cases where you still have to re-plug the device, but this is also the case on the MA1.
    We fixed the "VW Headunit crashing on skipping tracks" issue now completely. Confirmed it's a bug on the HU side, latency makes it worse. We will probably push a new firmware by the end of this week.
    I will also submit a bug report to Google, cause they can fix/workaround this issue as well for cabled users.