AAWireless - General discussion and support

Search This thread

1qazwsx4

Sep 19, 2011
New Zealand
Did you use tasker to resolve this issue or macrodroid? Are you able to share your profile or task so we can have an idea of what to do if you don't mind. Thank you
I used macrodroid. Sharing my profile won't work with yours as mine is for individual Bluetooth devices and other settings related to my car - it would be easier for you to make one based on what you need. It's a very easy app to use, you can't go wrong.

llaugerm

Nov 23, 2008
New York
I used macrodroid. Sharing my profile won't work with yours as mine is for individual Bluetooth devices and other settings related to my car - it would be easier for you to make one based on what you need. It's a very easy app to use, you can't go wrong.
Thank you for your reply. I understand that it’s device a specific, can you please share the steps involved? I have used Tasker in the past but I haven’t use it in a very long time.

1qazwsx4

Sep 19, 2011
New Zealand
Thank you for your reply. I understand that it’s device a specific, can you please share the steps involved? I have used Tasker in the past but I haven’t use it in a very long time.
It all depends what issue you're having with your head unit and aawireless device mate, I shared the steps with my original post on how I set mine up. Mine was taking ages to connect after I started my car etc so I made a profile which once my car connected via Bluetooth to my head unit, it launched my audio apps and equalizers, enabled gps the. Lanches android auto which automatically triggered aa wireless. My screen is ready to go in about 10 seconds of getting into my car.

Reactions: llaugerm

llaugerm

Nov 23, 2008
New York
It all depends what issue you're having with your head unit and aawireless device mate, I shared the steps with my original post on how I set mine up. Mine was taking ages to connect after I started my car etc so I made a profile which once my car connected via Bluetooth to my head unit, it launched my audio apps and equalizers, enabled gps the. Lanches android auto which automatically triggered aa wireless. My screen is ready to go in about 10 seconds of getting into my car.
The only issue I’m having that when I get out of the car android auto stay connected for a few seconds if I call comes in I’m unable to grab it.

1qazwsx4

Sep 19, 2011
New Zealand
The only issue I’m having that when I get out of the car android auto stay connected for a few seconds if I call comes in I’m unable to grab it.
Make a profile that after you disconnect Bluetooth from your cars headunit/stereo, it triggers "kill application android auto" or even "disconnect from AAwireless wifi" then you should be fine.
(when I turn my car off and open the door it powers off my stereo meaning my Bluetooth gets disconnected but my USB/android auto remains on for X amount of time and still connected via wifi) so the above works for me but you may need to alter it for your purposes

llaugerm

Nov 23, 2008
New York
Make a profile that after you disconnect Bluetooth from your cars headunit/stereo, it triggers "kill application android auto" or even "disconnect from AAwireless wifi" then you should be fine.
(when I turn my car off and open the door it powers off my stereo meaning my Bluetooth gets disconnected but my USB/android auto remains on for X amount of time and still connected via wifi) so the above works for me but you may need to alter it for your purposes
Thank you the same thing with my car.

bwillet

Apr 10, 2006
I have a question and a comment.

Question: For people that use 2+ phones, what's the quickest and easiest way to disconnect one phone from AAWireless and switch to the other? Currently I do airplane mode on the connected phone, but I wish there was an easier way. And I did try searching, but there are so many posts here so I apologize if I missed it somewhere in a previous post.

Comment: Just thought I'd let interested parties know that my AAWireless has been working great since the 1.4 (I think) firmware. Apparently Volkswagen MIB2 is a sore spot for many, but after that firmware update it's working really well with "VAG crash fix" and "Auto video focus" turned on. Three different phones (all Samsung), the USB cable that came with it, and all is well. I think I have had to power cycle my infotainment system maybe twice, but I've had to it more than that with wired AA. All in all, very happy, thanks to the devs!

Reactions: nunein

sibesaver

Sep 30, 2010
Moore, OK

Question: For people that use 2+ phones, what's the quickest and easiest way to disconnect one phone from AAWireless and switch to the other? Currently I do airplane mode on the connected phone, but I wish there was an easier way. And I did try searching, but there are so many posts here so I apologize if I missed it somewhere in a previous post.

Comment: Just thought I'd let interested parties know that my AAWireless has been working great since the 1.4 (I think) firmware. Apparently Volkswagen MIB2 is a sore spot for many, but after that firmware update it's working really well with "VAG crash fix" and "Auto video focus" turned on. Three different phones (all Samsung), the USB cable that came with it, and all is well. I think I have had to power cycle my infotainment system maybe twice, but I've had to it more than that with wired AA. All in all, very happy, thanks to the devs!
It is on the feature list to be added to the software but who knows when. My wife and I have the problem her phone always connects regardless which was connected last. I think her Bluetooth is just faster to respond.

1qazwsx4

Sep 19, 2011
New Zealand

Yep I wish I could downgrade back to 1.4, it worked well for me. Fingers crossed we'll have the option to do that soon or that the next firmware resolves some issues

Reactions: valeri_s_k

martin.armstrong

Feb 22, 2019
@Snirpo
when are feature improvements and new features going to be tackled? It was several months back that you said that they would be tackled after the new version of the start/stop feature was released but we are still waiting for this. Surely Gen2 has been resolved now.

sibesaver

Sep 30, 2010
Moore, OK
@Snirpo
when are feature improvements and new features going to be tackled? It was several months back that you said that they would be tackled after the new version of the start/stop feature was released but we are still waiting for this. Surely Gen2 has been resolved now.
Good question. I've been one of patient people on the forum especially as one of the original adopters but it seems things have ground to a halt. It would help if at a minimum there was some information about timelines of releases.

Reactions: 1qazwsx4

bjevers

Feb 10, 2006
Waukee, IA
Google Pixel 8 Pro
How are you launching Android Auto with Macrodroid? When I try to find it in the list of apps the only thing I have is Android Auto for phone screens, which is not the correct app. I also tried the actual package name com.google.android.projection.gearhead but Macrodroid says it's not found when I check the system logs.

Thanks

1qazwsx4

Sep 19, 2011
New Zealand
How are you launching Android Auto with Macrodroid? When I try to find it in the list of apps the only thing I have is Android Auto for phone screens, which is not the correct app. I also tried the actual package name com.google.android.projection.gearhead but Macrodroid says it's not found when I check the system logs.

Thanks
When you use the trigger "application launched" make sure to tick that box at the bottom
screenshot_2021-09-08-06-39-12-544_com-arlosoft-macrodroid-jpg.5404149

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-09-08-06-39-12-544_com.arlosoft.macrodroid.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-09-08-06-39-12-544_com.arlosoft.macrodroid.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 1,445

bjevers

Feb 10, 2006
Waukee, IA
Google Pixel 8 Pro
When you use the trigger "application launched" make sure to tick that box at the bottom
screenshot_2021-09-08-06-39-12-544_com-arlosoft-macrodroid-jpg.5404149
Ok, but I was using the phone connecting to my vehicle's Bluetooth as the trigger with the action being to launch Android Auto. I thought that's what you were doing to get it to open quicker. That check box is not available when launching an app from the action section for some reason.

So what is your action after the Android Auto trigger?

1qazwsx4

Sep 19, 2011
New Zealand
Ok, but I was using the phone connecting to my vehicle's Bluetooth as the trigger with the action being to launch Android Auto. I thought that's what you were doing to get it to open quicker. That check box is not available when launching an app from the action section for some reason.

So what is your action after the Android Auto trigger?
Easiest way would be to have a seperate Marco to activate your other macro. Edit the one that triggers on Bluetooth connection then add an action to run the macro that launches android auto. So Bluetooth connection will make it run a macro that launches android auto, you can also make a revered version (beluetooth disconnect kills android auto etc) There's better ways but that's the easiest to explain

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
@Snirpo
Gen2 has not been resolved yet, we are very close but not there yet. That's why we are producing 16k Gen1 units now (with a lot of effort to actually get components), to fill the gap and finally get off Indiegogo.
Gen2 is a huge risk for us, we don't want to mess it up. We are planning to produce Gen2 in large quantities (20k+) batches. If we mess up a 20k batch of devices we can bassicly pack up and go.
We already felt the pain of messing up a batch (batch 2) and this was only one of 6k units.
I'm sorry it might seem like we are not doing much, but in the background a lot is going on, not only technically.
Features will come, and they will come this year. But I cannot give any short term deadlines anymore.

On the app side, if you want to test bleeding edge builds you can join here: https://appdistribution.firebase.dev/i/5196d378c8e122d7

I might also set up the same thing for the board-side. Only there it's a bit trickier, because of the chance of "bricking" the device.

jv.batista

Jan 25, 2011
Faro, Portugal
Google Pixel 8 Pro
I think I figured out why I'm having connection issues with AAW.

Yesterday I did a shop run and it went like this:
- Start: flawlessly
- 1st stop: it took a little bit longer to connect
- 2nd stop: took a little bit more to connect
- 3rd stop: refused to start AA in the head unit. unplug and plug it back in twice and still no connection to headunit, it only started AA after I saved the settings twice.

For some reason, despite being connected to the phone and the app seeing current settings it would not start AA on the car.

Any ideas?

Phone: 1+ 8T up to date
Car: 2017 Kia Ceed SW JD

llaugerm

Nov 23, 2008
New York

Thanks
If you figured it out, please let me know what steps you took to do this with Macrodroid or Tasker. Thanks

1qazwsx4

Sep 19, 2011
New Zealand
Has anyone figured out a way to make android auto automatically start a different app on launch instead of maps? Would love AA to start up and automatically run ObD2AA! Is it possible to use android assistant to open an app within android auto?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I should have come to this thread to begin with, but I, too, am having this issue as well. Also in a Polestar 2.

I submitted a support ticket on January 17 this year, and after providing plenty of information and submitting bug reports, it seems I have been forgotten about. I was even told that "no other Polestar owners have reported this" - rubbish, it seems!

I recently got the 4.0 Beta notification and today updated that in the hope that something had been done, but nada!
    I note there are several compatibility options for other manufacturers that exist, including a new one in 4.0 that I haven't noticed before that addresses a Mercedes Benz issue, so surely two people with the exact some car is enough to acknowledge there is an issue for Volvo/Polestar AAOS compatibility?

I'm grateful I didn't buy my AAWireless to use in my Polestar, because I'd be bloody annoyed at having paid the money I did for it and having a shiny, new paperweight as a result.
    AA over CP is NOT a core feature. In fact even CarPlay is NOT a core feature (yet). Its beta... We dont advertise it anywhere. Its a nice extra, but that's it. Sorry but these "paperweight" comments annoy the heck out of me. Some people expect their issues to be fixed right away. That's just not how it works.
    That sounds good.

While I have your attention, where do I find documentation for the app's multitude of device settings?

Also what color should the device's light be when it is connected and properly working? My device is blue and everything seems OK.
    Blue means working correctly, so you're ok.
    Hey Snirpo,

Thank you very much for the quick response.
    I don't like to have Google Maps as start app.

I tried everything to have another app as start app, but did not find a way to change it.

My last hope is to emulate touch inputs on the head unit.

Can you please give me some support how to emulate touch inputs?

Thank you very much.
    It's not possible right now, we have to implement it. But it's quite some work and it will be pretty wonky with all the screen sizes and stuff.
    Hi all, I have a 2020 Corolla Sedan (USA). This car only supports CarPlay, not Android Android Auto.

We purchased the latest version of AAWireless and enrolled in the beta program to enable AA over CP and it actually loads in the car and looks and works like native AA, which is amazing.

We have 2 problems though which is why I am posting.

1. It takes 1 to 4 "reboots" of the dongle to finally load AA (the light goes through the flashing green and flashing blue before resetting and trying again on its own).

2. Once loaded phone calls through AA are in fast forward and sound like a chipmunk. Occasionally GPS also lags, I'm not using the infinite touch setting.

I've spent hours tweaking the various settings and modes but haven't found a combo that fixes these issues.

Appreciate any guidance!
    AA over CP is still very much beta quality. We'll add these issues to our backlog, but right now AA over CP has low prio.
    Core feature or not, everyone knows it's capable of it.
    Nobody is asking for it to be fixed right away, simply acknowledged. @leroy_sunset had no replies to the post back in October and had a support experience that mirrored mine. I was even told "no other Polestar owner has reported this", which was quite clearly not true.

I'm a developer Monday to Friday too, and if I brushed off paying customers with niche requirements, I'd not have a job.
    Hell, right now I and about a dozen other developers are working on a feature to be used by 1 customer.

All I'm asking is that this issue, which clearly does exist, is treated correctly.
    It is treated correctly. It's on our backlog and does not have priority right now unfortunately. I do agree our support may have given false info though... So in that sense you have been brushed off. I'm sorry for that.
    I never criticized the developers, once. I never communicated that my expectations were not met. I bought a product, tried it, found it didn't work for my very niche use case. It's beta, I get it. I'm not mad - a tad disappointed, but I am loading the beta updates literally every time they come through hoping it will work. I didn't return the product because I want it to work, I want to support the company, I want to help the developers get this working on my car!

I will say - wireless CarPlay with an iPhone works perfectly on the Polestar! It's a cool product. I am just hoping that AA over CarPlay will come through some day. In no way do I want to discourage the devs - please, please keep trying to get AA over CarPlay to work on my Polestar! I'd pay 2x for it :D

You guys don't even remotely put out a paperweight. You got me in the beta super quick, you're updating all the time. I definitely have a good impression of Snirpo and I know you'll sell plenty more of these once AA starts working on Polestars. The Polestar forums are dying to get something that works!
    Well that did not work, because the phone, a Pixel 7A, turned both Bluetooth and Wifi back on :eek: Tried it numerous times in the car with same results, away from the car both settings remained off as expected. I also want to keep Bluetooth on for hands free phone calls.
    We can add a feature to disable AAW temporarily. Will probably add it as an "app shortcut" so you can place it on your homescreen.
    This thread is dedicated for AAWireless users.

AAWireless is a device which allows you to transform your existing wired Android Auto compatible unit into a Wireless Android Auto unit.

General chat, experience sharing and community support should be expected as well as support from the developers of the product: @Snirpo and myself.
    I used to get the same thing. I believe it is an issue with AA/Google rather than AAW. In any event, I have had to give up on AAW as I can't connect to it/won't update, just sits there with a constant light-blue light. It is a (very expensive) paper weight on my desk now. It is just "too Beta" for my requirements.

I have now got a Carlink 2022 Android box which works flawlessly for me.
    MG ZS EV 2022
    Galaxy S21 Ultra (not rooted)
    I know I should ignore these posts, but these are the comments why I'm honestly considering completely dropping out any forum / reddit / social media. What's the point? We have support, we have warranty, we have a refund policy. It might be "beta" for you, but we shipped over 100k devices and believe me or not, for most, it just works. It's the same thing for all of these dongles. They will not work perfectly for all, there are just too many variables.
    I just want to leave a big THANK YOU for the developers! You invented a great product and do a great job here.

Anyone who has ordered the product knows that it is a crowdfunding project, which may also have teething problems. I find it cheeky to get upset about problems, even though they are dealt with promptly here. What more should the distributors do than react to the problems here and offer solutions?

I also have problems with the device, but I was helped quickly. Even if it takes a few days.

Dear team: Keep up the good work!
    Very close to release of 2.1.0 now. We fixed the UConnect issue, except for some cases where you still have to re-plug the device, but this is also the case on the MA1.
    We fixed the "VW Headunit crashing on skipping tracks" issue now completely. Confirmed it's a bug on the HU side, latency makes it worse. We will probably push a new firmware by the end of this week.
    I will also submit a bug report to Google, cause they can fix/workaround this issue as well for cabled users.