AAWireless - General discussion and support

Search This thread

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
This behaviour with that other brand of phones is not headunit dependant, and I do drive a VAG vehicle. What the other people are experiencing with MUI OS phones doesn't occur with Samsung. Any issue you're having is something else.

Genebaby

Dec 11, 2013
I went for a few trips in the GTI this morning and everything was great again in terms of AAW starting up on the screen, responsiveness and dropout free. I did think stop/start was fixed at the 2.0 FW but will see again maybe in 2.1.

The one issue that has been there for a long time is the Assistant being mute, and it happened again. First drive all good. Go into a store for a few minutes and second drive the Assistant can't be heard.

That's my only issue at the moment.

1qazwsx4

Sep 19, 2011
New Zealand
One again to everyone with passthrough issues or in general having connection issues... Do the following and it will fix majority of issues.

Step zero: update your AAW to the latest firmware - if you've got issues connecting, there may be bug fixes that help.

Step one: DISABLE passthrough mode in your AAW app settings. Now
reset your AAW device using the small pinhole on the side of the device (hold for approx 5 seconds and you'll see the LED change/stop flashing etc so you'll know when it's reset)

Step two: WIPE YOUR ANDROID AUTO DATA on your device (in settings, search for android auto)

Step three: Clear your headunits Bluetooth connection to your phone.

Step four: Plug in your device to headunit and setup android auto.

Step five: Disconnect your phone and alter the android auto device settings to enable wireless AA (and other desired changes)

Step six: Now plug in your AAW device and set it up and connect (if it doesn't connect, simply open your Bluetooth connections and do it manually)

Step seven: Congrats, you're running AAW without passthrough mode and can now alter the settings within the AAW app.

worldonfire

May 19, 2022
Yesterday noticed very weird behavior.

Connection worked ~5-10 minutes and then dropped. And then aawireless started "bootlooping". Headunit showed to choose Android Auto or Mirrorlink (it did not restore previously chosen android auto like usual). Stayd ~10-20 sec like so and then lost again the connection. And it did not manage to show android auto even when I clicked to "android auto" on headunit. And this loop remained to the end of my drive. After few hours started another drive. At first it worked some time and after first drop, it started same "bootloop" again.

I don't know if it may be connected with enabling passthrough mode day before (because regular dongle mode still very unstable and trying different settings still...)

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
Yesterday noticed very weird behavior.

Connection worked ~5-10 minutes and then dropped. And then aawireless started "bootlooping". Headunit showed to choose Android Auto or Mirrorlink (it did not restore previously chosen android auto like usual). Stayd ~10-20 sec like so and then lost again the connection. And it did not manage to show android auto even when I clicked to "android auto" on headunit. And this loop remained to the end of my drive. After few hours started another drive. At first it worked some time and after first drop, it started same "bootloop" again.

I don't know if it may be connected with enabling passthrough mode day before (because regular dongle mode still very unstable and trying different settings still...)
Strange indeed, can you send in a bug report via help and support --> bug report? Please inform me if you did, then I can see what's happening :)

Tony7533

May 21, 2022
Disable your VPN, if you have one. If you're using mobile data, try downloading the update separately over wifi then connect back up to AAWirelss and perform the install. If the download fails on wifi, then switch to mobile data.

If you still have problems, post info about what stage it's failing and the error you're getting.
Loading is ok. The update process is interrupted by restarting the device.

Attachments

• MQ_22-05-26-10-30-56.mp4
    10.3 MB · Views: 0

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
Loading is ok. The update process is interrupted by restarting the device.
You can try to update via another power source (laptop/power adapter). Some cars actively repower the device when AA is killed (which we do when starting OTA). In firmware 2.1.0 we removed the killing of AA, which will solve these issues.

Reactions: osm0sis

worldonfire

May 19, 2022
Strange indeed, can you send in a bug report via help and support --> bug report? Please inform me if you did, then I can see what's happening :)
As I can understand "bug report" has to be initiated manually, like start driving, then enable bug report, if problem appears, then stop and send right?

Does bug report work when passtrough is enabled (as this problem I described, was when passtrough was enabled).

Today morning disabled passtrough, but still constant connection drops. Should I try to send bug report with passtrough enabled or disabled or both?

rodmoore

May 24, 2022
Just been back out and tried anything I could find to see if it made a difference.
So far nothing, just same connect then almost instant disconnect.
Tried:
1.Disabling Adaptive Battery
2.Turned off mobile network
3.Forgot my home wifi network incase it was trying to relog into that
4.Turned off "Turn on Wifi automatically" option in wifi preferences.
5.uninstalled the Wifi analyser i did have installed

Happy to try anything anyone else can throw at me.

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
As I can understand "bug report" has to be initiated manually, like start driving, then enable bug report, if problem appears, then stop and send right?

Does bug report work when passtrough is enabled (as this problem I described, was when passtrough was enabled).

Today morning disabled passtrough, but still constant connection drops. Should I try to send bug report with passtrough enabled or disabled or both?
Yes, passthrough is also fine, but the logging is less detailed. In this case it's probably fine though.

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
Just been back out and tried anything I could find to see if it made a difference.
So far nothing, just same connect then almost instant disconnect.
Tried:
1.Disabling Adaptive Battery
2.Turned off mobile network
3.Forgot my home wifi network incase it was trying to relog into that
4.Turned off "Turn on Wifi automatically" option in wifi preferences.
5.uninstalled the Wifi analyser i did have installed

Happy to try anything anyone else can throw at me.
Can you possibly send a phone side log? I'll PM you my email address.
You can generate a log via developer settings of the phone: https://support.wizyemm.com/hc/en-us/articles/360059933253-How-to-generate-an-Android-bug-report

Aberk

Nov 21, 2007
I have had an issue since I received the unit but I've delt with it "Device Not Supported" it will launch Android Auto sometimes. Once it throws this error a couple times I am unable to even connect with direct USB to my phone. I have to pull fuses to reset my radio or wait until the next day. I've tried all the different modes and different USB cables. I've updated from 18 to 2.0.0 to 2.0.1 with the same issue. Definitely frustrated and I've sent tickets to support. I am starting to wonder if it's a heat issue as it seems worse the longer I run it or the hotter the day. Can only uninstall and factory reset so many times. Car is 18 Challenger with 8.4 Nav. Phone is pixel 3a xl.

I am having basically the same issue with my 2020 Gladiator and the 8.4 screen, but with an S22. Mine had been working flawlessly since I got it and one morning it just stopped connecting. I am able to get it to connect after factory resets like you, but if I like the truck sit for a few hours and the USB power off, I am back to square one.

LKnzw

Oct 17, 2021
One again to everyone with passthrough issues or in general having connection issues... Do the following and it will fix majority of issues.

Step zero: update your AAW to the latest firmware - if you've got issues connecting, there may be bug fixes that help.

Step one: DISABLE passthrough mode in your AAW app settings. Now
reset your AAW device using the small pinhole on the side of the device (hold for approx 5 seconds and you'll see the LED change/stop flashing etc so you'll know when it's reset)

Step two: WIPE YOUR ANDROID AUTO DATA on your device (in settings, search for android auto)

Step three: Clear your headunits Bluetooth connection to your phone.

Step four: Plug in your device to headunit and setup android auto.

Step five: Disconnect your phone and alter the android auto device settings to enable wireless AA (and other desired changes)

Step six: Now plug in your AAW device and set it up and connect (if it doesn't connect, simply open your Bluetooth connections and do it manually)

Step seven: Congrats, you're running AAW without passthrough mode and can now alter the settings within the AAW app.
These steps worked when connecting for first time in my case, unfortunately. Every subsequent connection it got stuck.
With 1.8 firmware AAW used to work fine without passthrough. Since 2.0.0 the only way to make it work with my headunit is using passthrough.

Roy47

Oct 4, 2019
I use this in passthrough mode were it works flawlessly. Would love to get it working normally so I could have auto focus. Also problem with it running so hot it cuts out the induction charging meaning your back to a cable connection for longer journeys

Reactions: LKnzw

grac

May 7, 2008
Polanica
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Hello :)

What do these features mean in the app?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220526-174242_AAWireless.jpg
    Screenshot_20220526-174242_AAWireless.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 73

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007

Checked it, definitly seems like the device is fully rebooting. Like in fully going back to solid green, blinking green, blue. Can you confirm this?

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
I am having basically the same issue with my 2020 Gladiator and the 8.4 screen, but with an S22. Mine had been working flawlessly since I got it and one morning it just stopped connecting. I am able to get it to connect after factory resets like you, but if I like the truck sit for a few hours and the USB power off, I am back to square one.
That sounds very odd. Does the device actually not boot anymore in these cases? I mean does the LED stay solid green? If so, it's most likely defective. If not, there's something else going on.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I should have come to this thread to begin with, but I, too, am having this issue as well. Also in a Polestar 2.

I submitted a support ticket on January 17 this year, and after providing plenty of information and submitting bug reports, it seems I have been forgotten about. I was even told that "no other Polestar owners have reported this" - rubbish, it seems!

I recently got the 4.0 Beta notification and today updated that in the hope that something had been done, but nada!
    I note there are several compatibility options for other manufacturers that exist, including a new one in 4.0 that I haven't noticed before that addresses a Mercedes Benz issue, so surely two people with the exact some car is enough to acknowledge there is an issue for Volvo/Polestar AAOS compatibility?

I'm grateful I didn't buy my AAWireless to use in my Polestar, because I'd be bloody annoyed at having paid the money I did for it and having a shiny, new paperweight as a result.
    AA over CP is NOT a core feature. In fact even CarPlay is NOT a core feature (yet). Its beta... We dont advertise it anywhere. Its a nice extra, but that's it. Sorry but these "paperweight" comments annoy the heck out of me. Some people expect their issues to be fixed right away. That's just not how it works.
    That sounds good.

While I have your attention, where do I find documentation for the app's multitude of device settings?

Also what color should the device's light be when it is connected and properly working? My device is blue and everything seems OK.
    Blue means working correctly, so you're ok.
    Hey Snirpo,

Thank you very much for the quick response.
    I don't like to have Google Maps as start app.

I tried everything to have another app as start app, but did not find a way to change it.

My last hope is to emulate touch inputs on the head unit.

Can you please give me some support how to emulate touch inputs?

Thank you very much.
    It's not possible right now, we have to implement it. But it's quite some work and it will be pretty wonky with all the screen sizes and stuff.
    Hi all, I have a 2020 Corolla Sedan (USA). This car only supports CarPlay, not Android Android Auto.

We purchased the latest version of AAWireless and enrolled in the beta program to enable AA over CP and it actually loads in the car and looks and works like native AA, which is amazing.

We have 2 problems though which is why I am posting.

1. It takes 1 to 4 "reboots" of the dongle to finally load AA (the light goes through the flashing green and flashing blue before resetting and trying again on its own).

2. Once loaded phone calls through AA are in fast forward and sound like a chipmunk. Occasionally GPS also lags, I'm not using the infinite touch setting.

I've spent hours tweaking the various settings and modes but haven't found a combo that fixes these issues.

Appreciate any guidance!
    AA over CP is still very much beta quality. We'll add these issues to our backlog, but right now AA over CP has low prio.
    Core feature or not, everyone knows it's capable of it.
    Nobody is asking for it to be fixed right away, simply acknowledged. @leroy_sunset had no replies to the post back in October and had a support experience that mirrored mine. I was even told "no other Polestar owner has reported this", which was quite clearly not true.

I'm a developer Monday to Friday too, and if I brushed off paying customers with niche requirements, I'd not have a job.
    Hell, right now I and about a dozen other developers are working on a feature to be used by 1 customer.

All I'm asking is that this issue, which clearly does exist, is treated correctly.
    It is treated correctly. It's on our backlog and does not have priority right now unfortunately. I do agree our support may have given false info though... So in that sense you have been brushed off. I'm sorry for that.
    I never criticized the developers, once. I never communicated that my expectations were not met. I bought a product, tried it, found it didn't work for my very niche use case. It's beta, I get it. I'm not mad - a tad disappointed, but I am loading the beta updates literally every time they come through hoping it will work. I didn't return the product because I want it to work, I want to support the company, I want to help the developers get this working on my car!

I will say - wireless CarPlay with an iPhone works perfectly on the Polestar! It's a cool product. I am just hoping that AA over CarPlay will come through some day. In no way do I want to discourage the devs - please, please keep trying to get AA over CarPlay to work on my Polestar! I'd pay 2x for it :D

You guys don't even remotely put out a paperweight. You got me in the beta super quick, you're updating all the time. I definitely have a good impression of Snirpo and I know you'll sell plenty more of these once AA starts working on Polestars. The Polestar forums are dying to get something that works!
    Well that did not work, because the phone, a Pixel 7A, turned both Bluetooth and Wifi back on :eek: Tried it numerous times in the car with same results, away from the car both settings remained off as expected. I also want to keep Bluetooth on for hands free phone calls.
    We can add a feature to disable AAW temporarily. Will probably add it as an "app shortcut" so you can place it on your homescreen.
    This thread is dedicated for AAWireless users.

AAWireless is a device which allows you to transform your existing wired Android Auto compatible unit into a Wireless Android Auto unit.

General chat, experience sharing and community support should be expected as well as support from the developers of the product: @Snirpo and myself.
    I used to get the same thing. I believe it is an issue with AA/Google rather than AAW. In any event, I have had to give up on AAW as I can't connect to it/won't update, just sits there with a constant light-blue light. It is a (very expensive) paper weight on my desk now. It is just "too Beta" for my requirements.

I have now got a Carlink 2022 Android box which works flawlessly for me.
    MG ZS EV 2022
    Galaxy S21 Ultra (not rooted)
    I know I should ignore these posts, but these are the comments why I'm honestly considering completely dropping out any forum / reddit / social media. What's the point? We have support, we have warranty, we have a refund policy. It might be "beta" for you, but we shipped over 100k devices and believe me or not, for most, it just works. It's the same thing for all of these dongles. They will not work perfectly for all, there are just too many variables.
    I just want to leave a big THANK YOU for the developers! You invented a great product and do a great job here.

Anyone who has ordered the product knows that it is a crowdfunding project, which may also have teething problems. I find it cheeky to get upset about problems, even though they are dealt with promptly here. What more should the distributors do than react to the problems here and offer solutions?

I also have problems with the device, but I was helped quickly. Even if it takes a few days.

Dear team: Keep up the good work!
    Very close to release of 2.1.0 now. We fixed the UConnect issue, except for some cases where you still have to re-plug the device, but this is also the case on the MA1.
    We fixed the "VW Headunit crashing on skipping tracks" issue now completely. Confirmed it's a bug on the HU side, latency makes it worse. We will probably push a new firmware by the end of this week.
    I will also submit a bug report to Google, cause they can fix/workaround this issue as well for cabled users.